Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2014 2:46:09 PM EDT
I already have a 10.5, I got lucky I guess, won old barrel off ebay years ago, I think it is an Olympic Arms HBar SS. Works fine first time.
I want to build one more pistol, found pencil barrels in 11.5 and 10.5, just wundering how much of a gamble it is that I may end up with problems with the 10.5? I prefere the look of the 10.5.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Either could be a gamble... if the gas port is wrong neither will run well if at all. So, go with what ever length you want. Worst case(over gassed) you end up using an adjustable gas block, best case it runs right or only requires a buffer/recoil spring change to get it running.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a 10.5 from Mas Defense for around $115 brand new, it cycles every brand of ammo I have tried with a standard buffer, tried it with H2 buffer and it still cycles just fine. Every thing from Tula to Lake City.  Only complaint is that I was hoping for more fireball/ loudness

http://www.shop.masdefense.com/105-556-223-1x7-M4-CONTOUR-CHROME-MOLY-BARREL-1057CEBL.htm
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 10" 5.56 upper and I have not had any reliability issues (with or without the suppressor attached).        

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I measured the gas port on mine at .078 and its perfectly gassed IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't mention neither of my PSA 10.5's have had any issues with even the crappiest of ammo(Tula and Wolf) M193/855 are still gassed just fine.

Only complaint is that I was hoping for more fireball/ loudness
View Quote

GG, no personal experience but maybe this would make your ears bleed and flash burn your eyes enough

http://www.armamentsales.com/enhancers.htm
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Both my 10.5" and 7" were flawless out of the parts box (both known for being troublesome).

Both were slightly over gassed and dealt with through tuning to smooth them out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I picked up a 10.5 from Mas Defense for around $115 brand new, it cycles every brand of ammo I have tried with a standard buffer, tried it with H2 buffer and it still cycles just fine. Every thing from Tula to Lake City.  Only complaint is that I was hoping for more fireball/ loudness

http://www.shop.masdefense.com/105-556-223-1x7-M4-CONTOUR-CHROME-MOLY-BARREL-1057CEBL.htm
View Quote
I have a solution for that:

7.5" barreled 7.62x39 with a muzzle brake.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have read somewhere (probably around here), that when you start to get below 10.5, that you start to have more issues with reliability. I have a PSA 10.5 and I have never had a single issue with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My DD MK18 upper has not had a single malfunction, and I've shot everything from mouse fart Tula to full power 77gr loadings.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Federal and Ipman/Ikman? 5.56 have ran fine in my 10.5".

ATI (Turk) 5.56 ammo failed, with stuck casings, etc. Truly junk, gummy ammo.

I don't shoot steel cased, so no info on that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My DD MK18 upper has not had a single malfunction, and I've shot everything from mouse fart Tula to full power 77gr loadings.
View Quote

Ditto on DD MK18's.

Mines been perfect with various ammo types right out of the gate....excellent 10.3" option.

Every bit as reliable as all my other AR's.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ditto on DD MK18's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto on DD MK18's.

Mines been perfect with various ammo types right out of the gate....excellent 10.3" option.

It's interesting that civi DD MK18's use a larger gas port than .mil MK18's.  On the upside I believe they have greater ammunition compatibility.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I have built a couple, one was perfect and the other has been flawless after dealing with minor "gas tuning".
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have read somewhere (probably around here), that when you start to get below 10.5, that you start to have more issues with reliability. I have a PSA 10.5 and I have never had a single issue with it.
View Quote
I currently have both a 10.5" and 7.5" with no issues...

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I just built a 10.5" and am having FTF issues. One round will load and fire, the next wont completely seat and jams up the BCG. I think it may be under gassed somehow. I'm sure its something minor, just wont be out to the range to test a few more things until Saturday. It will be running soon though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I just built a 10.5" and am having FTF issues. One round will load and fire, the next wont completely seat and jams up the BCG. I think it may be under gassed somehow. I'm sure its something minor, just wont be out to the range to test a few more things until Saturday. It will be running soon though.
View Quote
My guess would be you're over gassed.  Does the bolt lock back after firing from a magazine loaded with only one round?

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto on DD MK18's.

It's interesting that civi DD MK18's use a larger gas port than .mil MK18's.  On the upside I believe they have greater ammunition compatibility.

Why don't they produce gas ports of the same size for all MK18's?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#18]
My PSA FN CHF 10.5 has been flawless for somewhere around 500-700 rounds. I did use spike t2 buffer and spikes mil spec spring and wmd nib bcg to ensure quality and functionality!

Hell after adding heavier buffer and better BCG to my 7.5 " it runs flawless!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I didn't mention neither of my PSA 10.5's have had any issues with even the crappiest of ammo(Tula and Wolf) M193/855 are still gassed just fine.

GG, no personal experience but maybe this would make your ears bleed and flash burn your eyes enough

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Only complaint is that I was hoping for more fireball/ loudness

anyone know of a rail mounted marshmallow holder that I could use with that
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto on DD MK18's.

Why don't they produce gas ports of the same size for all MK18's?
Probably for reliability tuned around 5.56 pressure ammunition verses barely .223 spec pressures.  Interestingly the mil issued MK18's wouldn't cycle with MK262, but from what I've heard civi versions run it fine.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
My Tactical Ambush 10.5 inch 7.62 x39 barrel short stroked on Wolf, Red Army Standard, etc type ammo. The guys at TA opened up the gas port for me and now it runs great. 1500 ejections. apparently they size their ports for use with American ammo with it's higher chamber pressures.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 10.5" from Radical Firearms using a H2 buffer and it has worked perfectly with every ammo I've run (Including steel case).
Well, it took a few rounds to get the BCG worn in but it's been
otherwise perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLISptl_k2yEjyWelstqKuqukl5H8F14ZH

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#23]
LMT MK 18 10.3" perfect reliability w/carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Noveske 10.5" barrel with Adams Arms Piston kit.  I run usually brass target .223 or 5.56.  Both runs flawlessly with standard carbine buffer and spring.  I tried out a Spikes T2 buffer and ran into cycling issues.  I went back to the carbine buffer and have not had a problem since.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a 10.5" barrel which was under gassed and fixed it in about 10 min with one of these and a hand drill.

Kobalt 3/32 Titanium drill bits.  You get 2 for about $3.  Opened up the gas port easily without stopping or breaking off.  Now the rifle functions perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Caveat to my post above, technically it was a 10.3" barrel, dunno if there is much difference function wise.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My guess would be you're over gassed.  Does the bolt lock back after firing from a magazine loaded with only one round?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having the same problem with my 10.5" build. Second round will get stuck half way into the chamber. I've cleaned and lubed everything. Tried different magazines. Bolt always locks back on empty mags, and shells eject right at 3 o'clock. Any good ideas? Using a PSA premium BCG.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Even the most grossly underloaded Tula runs through my DD MK18 / Vltor A5 buffer setup without issue.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top