Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2014 10:27:19 PM EDT
New to AR pistols, I have 2 SBRs and 3 rifles.  Found an extra lower in the safe and thought about building a pistol to travel with in order to have a little extra firepower without filing 5320.20's.  I have an extra buffer tube and want to know if using it is legal or if i should get a dedicated pistol buffer tube.  I saw a few pics in the Pistol thread using this method.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, it's fine as is if you don't have an extra stock laying around.  Though I'd just get a different buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Only important thing is to not have a "collection of parts in close proximity" which could ONLY be used to make an NFA firearm. Wrapping a carbine tube with cord doesn't affect that one way or the other.

Note that case law has shown "close proximity" to be anywhere under your "dominion and control", so consider it to be anywhere both in your possession and also on your property.

There is nothing you can put on the ass end of an AR pistol that is illegal except a stock or device that allows auto fire.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Any buffer tube, receiver extension, will work and be legal for a pistol build per ATF.  The ATF does not designated pistol or rifle receiver extensions.  You may find states or local law jurisdictions may see things differently.  

I used a paracord wrap on one pistol build and used a lineman's loop/ alpine butterfly loop as a sling mounting point.  Some use the paracord with the intent to show that the pistol is not readily convertible to a SBR.   More than one action is required to install a stock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Put a piece of bike inner-tube over the buffer tube before you wrap the para chord.  It will stay put better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You can use a regular carbine buffer tube, paracord wrapped or not. The only time you have to worry is if you have an extra stock and have no other legal purpose for owning it besides manufacturing a SBR. If you own a rifle that accepts a collapsable stock you're golden, any extras laying around go to said rifle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I find it ironic that perhaps 99% of Sig braces are being used as a substitute for a stock and yet we still have to worry about a pistol tube.  

Just an excuse to post pics of my 608 pistol .  I do love me some paracord.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can use a regular carbine buffer tube, paracord wrapped or not. The only time you have to worry is if you have an extra stock and have no other legal purpose for owning it besides manufacturing a SBR. If you own a rifle that accepts a collapsable stock you're golden, any extras laying around go to said rifle.
View Quote

If you have one stock or twenty in your possession that has/have no "useful purpose other than making an NFA firearm", you have "made" a NFA firearm, whether you actually attach it or not. Same with say a vertical forward grip.

"Extra" parts don't matter at all. If one is okay, they are all okay.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I wrapped mine only because the sheeple were scared of the bare tube

20131211_121541_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you have one stock or twenty in your possession that has/have no "useful purpose other than making an NFA firearm", you have "made" a NFA firearm, whether you actually attach it or not. Same with say a vertical forward grip.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Thats what I was saying,  The extra stock comment was just an example.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yeah, re-reading, I see you did, mea culpa for seeming to be correcting you.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top