Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 4:50:57 PM EDT
First time poster here! And I am pretty new to the AR world. My question is when when your building an ar pistol, how old do you have to be to legally own one? Im 19 and was just curious about the whole process. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You are not old enough to buy your own handgun. The legal age for you to buy a handgun  is 21.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay gotcha!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are not old enough to buy your own handgun. The legal age for you to buy a handgun  is 21.
View Quote

You can buy one at 18 in private sale here, and likely in SC too? Likely in TX too, JuJu?

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun or a lower through FFL, even though a lower is not a handgun. But you can also buy a lower through private sale here, and likely in SC and TX also?

At any rate, OP, if you legally can there, you must still make sure the lower is "virgin" or was not first built as a rifle, to legally make it a pistol.

What you can legally buy/own in private transactions is up to individual state law, not federal.

- OS

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can buy one at 18 in private sale here, and likely in SC too? Likely in TX too, JuJu?

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun or a lower through FFL, even though a lower is not a handgun. But you can also buy a lower through private sale here, and likely in SC and TX also?

At any rate, OP, if you legally can there, you must still make sure the lower is "virgin" or was not first built as a rifle, to legally make it a pistol.

What you can legally buy/own in private transactions is up to individual state law, not federal.

- OS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- OS

What OS pointed out.  You can buy a lower receiver in a private intrastate sale at age eighteen, or it can be gifted,  as far as federal law is concerned...

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what your saying is since I'm 19 I can legally buy a stripped or virgin lower through private sale(as long as state law allows it) and I cant purchase a stripped lower from my ffl until im 21?

So if I did purchase a stripped lower through a private sale, purchased the lpk parts kit, 10.5 inch barrel, as long as I didnt put a stock on it I would be legal?

Lol. Sorry just trying to 100% understand this!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what your saying is since I'm 19 I can legally buy a stripped or virgin lower through private sale(as long as state law allows it) and I cant purchase a stripped lower from my ffl until im 21?

So if I did purchase a stripped lower through a private sale, purchased the lpk parts kit, 10.5 inch barrel, as long as I didnt put a stock on it I would be legal?

Lol. Sorry just trying to 100% understand this!
View Quote

All correct. (Assuming that lower was not actually a rifle first before it got "stripped" again).

You can only buy a "rifle" or "shogun" at 18-20 from or through an FFL. A handgun or receiver (which is an "other firearm") is neither.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Understood. Appreciate everyone clearing it up. Now does anyone happen to have a virgin lower for sale? Lol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Understood. Appreciate everyone clearing it up. Now does anyone happen to have a virgin lower for sale? Lol.
View Quote

Get friendly with your local gun forum ect..., you will find one, in the meantime start amassing parts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's what the Equipment Exchange area of ARFCOM is for...  

ETA: This was just listed yesterday on Armslist in the Columbia area...

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top