Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 7:23:00 PM EDT
I hadnt heard much and could not find much info on this company or upper, besides "they are GTG", so here is a review in case someone is in the market.

Took a bit longer than anticipated to get it, a few days past the 1 month mark..They do however have great customer service. Made a mistake on the initial order, they helped sort it out. Very responsive folks that actually answer the phone- refreshing in this industry.

Initial impression, I liked the upper- great finish, overall, high quality work- fits very tight on a Aero lower.
Everything is spec, all parts fit perfectly onto the lower.
Color matches Aero lower perfectly.

Rail is very solid, would compare it to any high quality rail out there.

Their polymer sights are great. You engage the front part forward and they have springs to drive the sight up.

Nice feature- no too needed to adjust the front sight post.

Rear has two knobs on both sides to adjust windage.

This poses a problem for my aimpoint FTS scope...not able to FTS and use the sight due to the adjustment knob.

Also, the sight is a bit tall and rubs on the bottom of the FTS- this isnt the case with Troy BUIS. The troy can be used with the sight flipped to the side.

Range Report:

Using 55g Federal 100 value pack I got a nice tight group and sighted in at 50 yr.
Switched over to 55 g Tulammo and it had zero feed issues. Shot a total of 120 rds with no issues whatsoever.

-100 yards, I had a 3-4" 5 shot group. I did not have a rear bag, so im certain the group would tighten up if I took my time, but really just wanted to see if it was consistent and it was just as predicted- 2'' low at 100yrds.

-250 yard- can ring steel plates all day at this distance. dumped 30 rds semi rapid no problem.

-75 GR Prvi HP match ammo was able to stabalize at 50 and 100 yrs with no keyhole.

Also used a few Rem UMC 55Gr- had 17 random soft point rounds that grouped very well.

BCG stamp- it is staked.

has a cool pin for holding the firing pin in place. This can seem like a pain in a stressful situation vs using leatherman or nails to pry the standard round pin out. from the left side..

Conclusion- overall very happy with the upper--especially for the price that they have on them. Im sure I would not be much happier with BCM or the other sub $600 upper options out there.
For the price, the polymer sights seem fine- but would probably reconsider magpul or irons. I used locktite and they do not seem as rigid as they should be--kinda flex a bit which I do not like.
BCG seems solid.

Will obviously put quite a bit more rounds downrange, but am already considering getting a 7.5' upper from them to see if that runs like this one with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review.  I've been looking at these but have been hoping for more info.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks great, I've never thought of a pistol build but this is tempting stuff.
I have a 5.56 7.5" upper from Radical on my SBR lower. It did have some issues though. My Spike's NiB BCG would not fit. Best I could figure was a gas key/gas tube misalignment. BUT...my BCM phosphate BCG slid in no problem at all. Also, the bottom rail seemed to be a touch out of spec. My Magpul Handstop kit segments (3 of 4) won't click fully on the bottom rail. I even tried some old XTM covers, same thing. I ended up supergluing the segments to ensure they didn't come part.

For the good news, as of last week and 4 trips to the range, I've fired 880 rounds through that 7.5" upper without a hitch. That includes 160 rounds of Tula/Herters as well. The rest a mix of M193 or AE .223.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice review! I was looking at these uppers but went with something else, however I won't mind getting one of the 7.5" uppers for my psa blem lower as to I already have a 11.5" now!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks great, I've never thought of a pistol build but this is tempting stuff.
I have a 5.56 7.5" upper from Radical on my SBR lower. It did have some issues though. My Spike's NiB BCG would not fit. Best I could figure was a gas key/gas tube misalignment. BUT...my BCM phosphate BCG slid in no problem at all. Also, the bottom rail seemed to be a touch out of spec. My Magpul Handstop kit segments (3 of 4) won't click fully on the bottom rail. I even tried some old XTM covers, same thing. I ended up supergluing the segments to ensure they didn't come part.

For the good news, as of last week and 4 trips to the range, I've fired 880 rounds through that 7.5" upper without a hitch. That includes 160 rounds of Tula/Herters as well. The rest a mix of M193 or AE .223.
View Quote

That's great to hear, want a 7.5" but did not want to run into feed issues.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Those sights are... interesting. They are $25 for a set.

How do they feel compared to the Magpul?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Those sights look huge on the rail.   I'd think there are way better options really, but would be a bit more costly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice review.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine arrived last Friday. I'm very happy with it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those sights are... interesting. They are $25 for a set.

How do they feel compared to the Magpul?
View Quote

Dont own magpul, onlyoother sights I own are troy, so not much to really compare them to. I got a chance to mess with the magpul ones today and they appear to be same quality. The magpul ones also appear to be the same size roughly.  

I have yet to confirm how they hold zero, but I feel good about them holding upwell.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in the market for one of these, so thank you for the review and great pictures. I'm currently using mostly PSA stuff, so it is good to know that there are other quality "off-brand" manufacturers out there.

Who makes the buffer tube that you have on there? Looks good and obviously solves the problem of the arm brace slipping forward.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I am in the market for one of these, so thank you for the review and great pictures. I'm currently using mostly PSA stuff, so it is good to know that there are other quality "off-brand" manufacturers out there.

Who makes the buffer tube that you have on there? Looks good and obviously solves the problem of the arm brace slipping forward.
View Quote
It looks like the KAK super tube...

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It looks like the KAK super tube...  
View Quote

That's gotta be it, or one that works just the same. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, the kak industries with castle nut is rock solid. I'm running a standard buffer and spring
I had to use the soap trick just to slide the arm brace down the tube.

To give you a reference point, the lop is identical to a standard magpul  stock at the second position.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#14]
have you done a reliability test?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, the kak industries with castle nut is rock solid. I'm running a standard buffer and spring
I had to use the soap trick just to slide the arm brace down the tube.

To give you a reference point, the lop is identical to a standard magpul  stock at the second position.
View Quote

Thanks for the reference point. That's exactly where I run the stock on my rifle, so it should be a perfect fit. Now I have a definite part to add to the build list!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Update: I ordered my first upper from Radical today. Same one that garzanium ordered, but with all of the basic options and no additional parts. I'll be putting a specific BCG, charging handle, and flash hider in, so I left those at the no-additional-cost option level. 251 bucks for the upper after the discount code. I picked up a Sig brace as well. 385 total after shipping. Not too shabby. I'll put up a thread with more details once I get it in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice review, and good timing.  I'm looking at the Radical 7.5" upper on a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally got to put a few more down the pipe.
Did not clean it from the last shoot and shot another 200+ rds through it today. Cycles Tulammo well, zero issues...

Added a Griffin Armament flash comp m4sd flash comp..HOLY HELL is it loud and increases the felt pressure...going with a can next.

flash width=' 425px' height=' 344px' src='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6irdwEc_Q&list=UUq3gMyOcBV9T-29wCYBejQQ'

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6irdwEc_Q&list=UUq3gMyOcBV9T-29wCYBejQQ[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#19]
You've probably read it time and time, Radical are some good guys to deal with and they are.

Not taking away from their great uppers and complete rifles, but  DO NOT buy their polymer sights till someone on here confirms they are good to go.

Long story short, I ordered 2 sets, both did not work. There is a large discrepancy between the max height of the front and rear. I ended up trying out a total of 3 sets and none worked....
Took quite some time to get a check back from the guys at Radical, but they finally issued it and made it right- so they are ok in my book.

Last pic shows the height difference between the front and rear sight vs my Troy sights that are sighted in at 50 yrds.

Slapped a Magpul polymer set on my Radical upper and am now GTG with no issues.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice rig! Just put one together for my son. ZERO issues. Nice bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Update: I ordered my first upper from Radical today. Same one that garzanium ordered, but with all of the basic options and no additional parts. I'll be putting a specific BCG, charging handle, and flash hider in, so I left those at the no-additional-cost option level. 251 bucks for the upper after the discount code. I picked up a Sig brace as well. 385 total after shipping. Not too shabby. I'll put up a thread with more details once I get it in.
View Quote

Discount Code???   Do tell....
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
looked over this tread again. Primary arms has uppers for ~280 + shipping.  Also available in 300blk which is what's tempting me.  under 300 for a barreled upper (w/o bcg & handle) delivered seems like an easy way to try 300blk
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I had the same issues with my polymer sights. Different heights and couldn't get to zero. With the front sight post all the way up I was still hitting 6" high at 25 yards. Calling them Monday to see how they are going to fix this issue.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Lucky I had my eotech to just sight in at home. Would be frustrating at the range. I would take the"I'll buy some magpul from you if you give me my$25 back" approach.  Win=win
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#25]
75 GR Prvi HP match ammo was able to stabalize at 50 and 100 yrs with no keyhole
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top