Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2014 1:04:52 PM EDT
So I took the new MK18 clone pistol build out for testing and it would not lock back on the last shot. Did the one round in the mag test to 4 different P-mags with the same outcome. Have a standard buffer and spring. Should I go to the Sprinco Blue buffer spring and H2 buffer ?

The 10.5" MK18 clone upper

Product Description

A2 Flash Hider 1/2-28 Threaded Muzzle
   M16 BCG HP/MPI Tested with Viton O-ring
   5.56 NATO Chamber
   4150 CrMoV (Chrome Moly Vanadium per MIL-B-11595E) w/ F-Mark Front Sight
   1/7 Twist w/ M4 Feed Ramps
   Carbine Length Gas System
   QPQ Corrosion Resistant Finish
   Standard 2-Piece Quadrail
   Dry Film Lubed Upper w/ T-Markings
   Forward Assist & Ejection Port Assembly
   Standard Charging Handle Made from 7075 T6 forging
   Sling Swivel on Front Sight Base

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What ammo?  Cleaned chamber thoroughly upon receipt?  BCG taken down, cleaned, and well lubed?  Any ejection issues?  Ejection direction?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Good ammo, cleaned and lubed on the generous side.  If you have a different BCG, try it.  You are losing gas somewhere or the gas port is too small.  Oh and try a good metal mag, as some guns have had issues with certain generation/model type Pmags generally something to do with a nub on the back topside of the Pmag.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm assuming the bolt catch works fine when had cycling?

Are you using good NATO ammo?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Cleaned and lubed her up. Was shooting some Rem 223 and WCC 74, LC 70 stamped 5.56 for the test. Bolt stop is a little wobbly, have another so will swap it out in the next test. Will be getting a H2 buffer and Sprinco blue spring coming in to see if that helps.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Who makes the upper?  What is the port size?  The port may need to be opened up a bit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who makes the upper?  What is the port size?  The port may need to be opened up a bit.
View Quote

Got it from ACI a forum dealer, here is their ad
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1319519_MK18_Clones_on_SALE__10_5_Upper_Complete_w_BCG_and_Rail__450.html

The barrel has a .750? Gas Block Journal. Have to get in contact with ACI for the gas port size.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cleaned and lubed her up. Was shooting some Rem 223 and WCC 74, LC 70 stamped 5.56 for the test. Bolt stop is a little wobbly, have another so will swap it out in the next test. Will be getting a H2 buffer and Sprinco blue spring coming in to see if that helps.
View Quote

I'm amazed every time a likely undergassing problem arises, folks want to try a heavier buffer or spring. That can only compound the problem.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
You aren't running a BAD Lever are you? If so try taking it off and see if that helps...sounds crazy i know but i've had this happen to me before I just had mine on there a little tight.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1319519_MK18_Clones_on_SALE__10_5_Upper_Complete_w_BCG_and_Rail__450.html

The barrel has a .750? Gas Block Journal. Have to get in contact with ACI for the gas port size.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My DD 10.3" barrel has a gas port of approx  .083 to .086.  That is what was reported on a few posts from old threads.  My 10.3" runs pretty much anything I put through it and I believe Tula was the only ammo that did not lock back on the last round.

Other option would be that you are using some older 20rd Pmags....those has a history of not locking back and I have had that happen on another rifle (18" with rifle gas).

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Talked to the guys over at ACI and going to run it on another lower this weekend. 30 round p-mag loaded 5 rounds and ejected all rounds, just no lock back. The bolt catch seems a bit wobbly

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Gas port hole is .0785
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#12]
That's what my 10.5 was, I upped it to .081" and it's flawless now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Aeroprecision 10.5" barrel i have runs a .077 gasport / carbine buffer and spring, and it runs  everything I have with no problem...silverbear, Speer, Hornady, m193, Fiochi , Federal, Winchester, Remington,  MK262 with no problems
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The heavier H2 buffer is going to exacerbate a short stroking problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh so true, and the OP hasn't mentioned what buffer he is using.  So OP what buffer are you currently running?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh so true, and the OP hasn't mentioned what buffer he is using.  So OP what buffer are you currently running?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stock buffer and spring with KAK super sig buffer tube.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Tested the upper today and the bolt locked back on the last shot in 2 pmags, 2 metal mags. So I think it was the Tactical Link that was on the other lower that caused the issue. Thank You Jason at ACI for your GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE and QUALITY UPPER !!!!! By Far My Favorite !!!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top