Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2014 2:47:28 PM EDT
Looking to get my first pistol. The one I have found has a OAL over 26.

I am wanting to put a brace on it and maybe make the barrel shorter. From 10.5 to around 9. Can I do this? What doe the OAL really mean? I know over 26 you can get a AFG or standard forward pistol grip. Is that all it means?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I am wanting to put a brace on it and maybe make the barrel shorter. From 10.5 to around 9. Can I do this? What doe the OAL really mean? I know over 26 you can get a AFG or standard forward pistol grip. Is that all it means?

Thanks
View Quote

OAL for an AR pistol is defined as the length from the end of the pistol buffer tube to the end of the threads on the barrel, unless you have a permanently attached muzzle device.

Of course you can cut down a 10.5" barrel to 9" if you choose. That would shorten the OAL by 1.5".

An AR pistol, no matter what the OAL is CAN have an angled fore grip. The only way you can put a vertical fore grip on an AR pistol is if the OAL is 26" or greater. When you attach the fore grip you change the definition of the gun from a pistol to a "firearm". That pretty much means it no longer falls under most CCW because it is no longer a pistol but is a firearm.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
today is the first I've heard of "angled fore grips". At what degree angle does it become legal? A Thompson foregrip is angled.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks

Quoted:
today is the first I've heard of "angled fore grips". At what degree angle does it become legal? A Thompson foregrip is angled.

This thread should help...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/651727_26__OAL_VFG_Firearm_Picture_and_Info_Thread.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
AFGs, angled fore grips are legal on pistols of any length, although I would only add one that has a letter specifically to go with it. The Magpul AFG has more than one letter floating around. As far as the 26" goes, if it exceeds the 26" in OAL (end of barrel or perm attached FH to end of extension tube) and you can legally add a VFG, but it changes it from a pistol into a non NFA firearm.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top