Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2014 8:07:46 PM EDT
I'm looking at either building or buying a 10.5" pistol upper like the PSA 10.5"

I hear that they often go on sale but after my last couple experiences with PSA I don't know if I have the patience necessary to deal with them as well as the fact that I want to build my first complete upper.

That brings me to my question about .223 Wylde. From what I've read it seems like there wouldn't be a reason for me not to go with a 1x8 twist .223 wylde barrel if I build it myself. Not sure what all I'll end up shooting through it so I figure it would give me flexibility in the long run.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Aero Upper w/o Forward Assist (Are there cheaper options out there?)
Mas Defense 10.5" .223 Wylde 1x8
MOE Handguard and VFG "Firearm" length (Do I need both a barrel nut and delta ring or just a delta ring?)
Carbine length gas tube
A2 style FSB and flash hider (Where can I get a traditional FSB?)
AIM NiB BCG w/ BCM extractor upgrade

I've already got a pistol lower w/ the Kak super tube built to swap between this upper and a 7.62 upper I plan on building as well, so that should get me to the 26"+ OAL.

Is there anything that I'm missing or recommendations for my first upper build?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
BCM is currently offering free bcg's with their uppers. Get em while theyre hot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#2]
If you need 1:7 Integrity Arms has some barrels in .223 Wylde with that twist.  The barrels are made by AR Performance and appear to be good to go from all the reviews I have read.  the Stripped uppers with build kit over at PSA are also GTG

I am in the middle of a pistol build of my own as well.

With a little work you could build the upper for around $250
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
For what its worth I just bought a 10.5 upper off PSA and it got here surprisingly fast.  I was thinking I would have to wait at least 3 weeks, but it only took a week and a half to get.  So far I have put about 150 rounds of mixed mostly steel 55 grain through her and she runs flawlessly.  Personally I have never had a bad experience with PSA but I have heard stories.  The upper was also in great condition, although it was not one of their blems.  I would have bought one of their blems if I would have had the chance.

I have been using 5.56 barrels for both my AR's in that caliber so far as they shoot both .223 and 5.56.  I really don't know what the advantage of Wylde over 5.56 is, but I haven't done that much research.

I have built and bought uppers, I would say do what ever will get you closest to what your end result is going to be.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you need 1:7 Integrity Arms has some barrels in .223 Wylde with that twist.  The barrels are made by AR Performance and appear to be good to go from all the reviews I have read.  the Stripped uppers with build kit over at PSA are also GTG

I am in the middle of a pistol build of my own as well.

With a little work you could build the upper for around $250
View Quote

Are you sure?  ARP just emailed me today saying that 12.5" is the shortest they go.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.blackrocktacticalsolutions.com/105-WYLDE-223-556-Pistol-Barrel-1X8-Twist-105WYLDEB.htm

Sale going on now.  Free Fast shipping and a Free TSHIRT!

I was impressed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Where is a good place to get a A2 style front sight base w/ the sling loop?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Cheapest place I have found for barrels is classic firearms.  $79 for a stainless 10.5 wylde.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you mean a pistol length gas tube and not a carbine length?  Or do they make a 10.5" barrel with carbine length gas tube? I would like to know this as I am going to build a 10.5" upper?

***  I see now there are carbine length 10.5" barrels.  That must be why many say they are more reliable?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#9]
7.5 is pistol and 10.5 is carbine...usually.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Only thing I might mention is you have offsetting items there.  The purpose of the wylde chamber is to allow 5.56 to be shot, but maintain most/all of the accuracy of the .223 chamber.  You are kind of wasting the gained accuracy with the drop-in style handguards.  I would either go to a standard 5.56 chambered barrel and gain a hint of reliability, or free float the handguard to max out the accuracy of your wylde barrel. Being that you're building a pistol and probably won't be taking 500m shots with the thing I tihnk I'd move to the 5.56.  

The Rainier Selects are really nice and come in your 10.5" length.  I have one that's 18" and free floated shoots .75 moa with my handloads. so even with the 5.56 chamber the accuracy is there, free-floated at least.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Most of my barrels are .223 wylde, including my 10.5" Rainier Arms SS

I have no desire to ever change
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
That particular Blackrock barrel is pistol gas length if it is the same barrel as in the picture.  Wonder if the PL gas on the 10.5" may actually help reliability?  Not that I've ever has a relability issue with 3 different 10.5" uppers and carbine length gas systems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.blackrocktacticalsolutions.com/105-WYLDE-223-556-Pistol-Barrel-1X8-Twist-105WYLDEB.htm

Here is the updated pictures.  Spoke with them yesterday about this and they said the pistol gas was more reliable in all instances(suppressed etc..) with a standard gas block.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.blackrocktacticalsolutions.com/105-BTSA15-WYLDE-223-556-NATO-PISTOL-UPPER-ASSEMBLY-UTG-PRO-105wyldeslim.htm

They run specials when I'm out of money......This Slim PRO setup looked sweet.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top