Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2014 1:27:50 PM EDT
I don't know which to pick, both are the same price...

410 stainless steel 11.5". 1/8 twist

Or standard chrome lined parkerized 11.5" 1/7 twist.

The rifle will have an aimpoint micro and be used out to 150 yards but mostly be shot at 50-75 yards.

I like the stainless look but plan on this being my go to home defense, ranch gun and will be shot a lot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't know which to pick, both are the same price...

410 stainless steel 11.5". 1/8 twist

Or standard chrome lined parkerized 11.5" 1/7 twist.

The rifle will have an aimpoint micro and be used out to 150 yards but mostly be shot at 50-75 yards.

I like the stainless look but plan on this being my go to home defense, ranch gun and will be shot a lot.
View Quote

Chrome lined 1:7 without a doubt.

You said it yourself, you're only shooting out to 150yds (you won't really notice a difference between the stainless and chrome lining at this yardage with an aim point), and it will be shot a lot (this is what chrome lining is for).
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Does optimum twist rate change for diff barrel lengths?

I shoot primarily 55 for plinking but will have it loaded with some 62 or heavier for hd
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does optimum twist rate change for diff barrel lengths?

I shoot primarily 55 for plinking but will have it loaded with some 62 or heavier for hd
View Quote

Not really.

As you can see below its perfectly fine to shoot 55gr out of a 1:7 twist barrel. If you're primary shooting 55gr and 62gr then 1:8 would be the better twist, but I wouldn't sacrifice chrome lining if this gun is going to be fired a lot i.e 1k+ rounds a year. Chrome lining will serve you better.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I just built a 1 in 7, 11.5" chrome lined barrel BCM KMR with an H1 micro Aimpoint.

It shoots great!  The best (5)-shot 100yrd group so far is 1.50" with 53gr V-Max handloads.

More typical (5)-shot 50yrd groups are around 1.00"

I personally don't need more accuracy out of a 11.5" barrel topped by a red dot sight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just built a 1 in 7, 11.5" chrome lined barrel BCM KMR with an H1 micro Aimpoint.

It shoots great!  The best (5)-shot 100yrd group so far is 1.50" with 53gr V-Max handloads.

I personally don't need more accuracy out of a 11.5" barrel topped by a red dot sight.
View Quote

Perfect. Yes this gun is going to be for hitting man sized targets and if I'm shooting 1-2 moa off the bench that's more than satisfying.  I'm going with a bcm setup as well.

I was going to go with a t-1. Any downsides to the h-1? I'm looking for 2moa
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are going to be shooting  lots, i would go with an CHF F.N barrel from Palmetto State Armory, Spikes or BCM. They are accurate, unbeatably durable and reasonably priced. I think the sweet spot for ballistics and maneuverability/weight is 12".
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My H-1 is a 2moa.  I've been extremely please with how it performs.

I got the H-1 instead of the T-1 because of price (picked it up used on the EE)

The T-1 has night vision capability and much deeper waterproof depth.  T-1 is an upgrade in these two areas over the H-1.

I recommend either the T-1 or H-1 with the 2moa dot.

Quoted:

Perfect. Yes this gun is going to be for hitting man sized targets and if I'm shooting 1-2 moa off the bench that's more than satisfying.  I'm going with a bcm setup as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top