BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2014 1:30:17 PM EDT
Alright, so as I piece together my pistol upper, I'm stuck on comps.  From everything Ive read, a linear comp REALLY helps deal with the concussion.  I know of the Noveske, Levang, Hera, KAK, PWS.  Are any better than any others?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The Kaw Valley Precision has worked best for me...
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Black River Tactical Covert Comp. it's the same length as an A2, and a metric ass ton lighter than the KX3.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The Levang style comps do keep the blast downrange but they never did it for me. I think something like a flash can is the cheapest way to go and you're not really sacrifing any performance over a linear comp or KX3.

With that said I couldn't deal with the flash from my 7.5" while training so I went with a PWS Triad and the noise and blast is identical to the shooter and not significantly worse to bystanders. If this is just a range gun the linear comps sound cool and the flash can be amusing,  but for a working gun I don't see a place for them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with the KX3, would like to try one of these though.  http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Blast_Master_Linear_Compensator_p/kies-blst%20mstr22.htm

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one of these coming this week.

She's heavy, but I like the qd feature.  

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=4189
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got one of these coming this week.

She's heavy, but I like the qd feature.  

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=4189
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1. good price , they work great look good and they are relatively light and short.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1. good price , they work great look good and they are relatively light and short.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Any thoughts on the Spike's "Barking Spider"?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
+3 on the Kaw Valley, I had a KX3, it was big and heavy and limited the size and length of the handgaurd, the Kaw Valley is light and small, I did not notice any difference when I switched.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Black River Tactical is really nice. Haven't used the others.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my kineti tech, does what it is supposed to, is short and very light weight. And the price is great
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Go get yourself an STD.  You'll like it.  

Simple Threaded Devices.  

http://simplethreadeddevices.com/
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Simple Threaded Devices.  

View Quote

Looks cool, but no real info on it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
MAS defense makes one too that looks like most others but is cheaper. Has worked well for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Are there any good, side by side comparisons of size, weight, performance specs (claims) out there?

I am in the same boat as others, trying to decide what to put on my 7.5 and cannot make up my mind.  Most of the ones listed I have no way to see in person without purchasing first.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Guess the Noveske is not considered a linear comp
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd get the Kaw Valley, personally.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a couple of linear comps. BRT are 5/8"x24tpi.

They work great for sending the blast down range and very good for flash suppression. The cans send the fireball a little down range to bloom out in a large ball. This is not a big deal until it is dark.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I like my Kineti-Tech.  Does the job for about $45.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#22]
80 percenter SBR?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
80 percenter SBR?
View Quote

About 20 minutes with a drill press
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like my Kineti-Tech.  Does the job for about $45.
View Quote

Any idea how much it weighs?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Nice!  What's the OD measurement for the shroud?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

1.25" according to Kineti-Tech's site.

http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-a-2-piece-muzzle-brake-cucussion-sound-redirector/
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#27]
BRT is what I have, and it's great. Similar flash suppression as an A2, but mitigates recoil and muzzle rise much better. Then there's the redirection of noise that helps too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-a-2-piece-muzzle-brake-cucussion-sound-redirector/

looks nice... but it also looks like it will be as heavy as a  Krinkov booster.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the sleeve is aluminum
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simple Threaded Devices.  

Yeah, unfortunately there is very little info on those.  But for what it's worth, the STD for a 5.56 barrel is actually slightly smaller than an A2 flashhider and weighs about the same.  There aren't too many linear comps that can say that.  Most are big and heavy.

I would love to see a test of linear comps with a sound measuring device at the shooter's ear.

The Kineti-Tech modular system is a great idea.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#31]
For those of you who were curious about the Kineti-tech:

Standard A2:  2.0oz
Kineti Comp:  2.4oz
With Shroud:  3.8oz

The shroud is aluminum so it is actually pretty light.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Simplistic Shoooting Solutions confirmed with me that they're working on one for the Surefire brakes too

Edited because I'm stoopid
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Just ordered a Kineti-tech
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the info.  Gonna try one out on a new pistol build.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I am really digging this ferfrans crd. The concution of the break without the crd is pretty beastie, so I will be keeping the crd on the majority of the time, lol.

I am a a2 kind of guy that is all I have used, but wanted to try something different and I loved the look of the crd and liked the qd option.

I don't notice the weight of the crd it actually helped tremendously level out the
balance of the pistol. As you know the brace is kind of a pig.

I have only shot a couple hundred rounds out of this pistol on Saturday,  so as I get more familiar with the Ferfrans crd I'll add that info to this thread.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Those who have tried the Kineti-Tech what do you think? I'm still debating this vs. the Spikes barking spider (seems heavy) vs the budget KAK.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Range report?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Range report?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range report?

Have to finish the rest of the rifle first.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Just switched to an STD from both the Kaw Valley and KAK Flash can. Both the later were kicking up a nice fireball on my 10.5" pistol. The STD does a great job of sending blast downrange and also eliminating some of the flash. Shooting at an indoor range I could keep the red dot in my line of sight with the STD. I got to much flash blindness from the Kaw Valley and KAK and would lose the dot for a split second on follow up shots.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just switched to an STD from both the Kaw Valley and KAK Flash can. Both the later were kicking up a nice fireball on my 10.5" pistol. The STD does a great job of sending blast downrange and also eliminating some of the flash. Shooting at an indoor range I could keep the red dot in my line of sight with the STD. I got to much flash blindness from the Kaw Valley and KAK and would lose the dot for a split second on follow up shots.
View Quote

How does the STD compare with the other two in terms of muzzle rise/flip?

HighSpeedSteel?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

HighSpeedSteel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HighSpeedSteel?

For me, all three give a "push" back into the shoulder more that a noticeable rise. With no side, top or bottom ports all the gas is pushed forward. I find mounting the AR pistol a bit more aggressive in stance and grip basically eliminates most of the rise regardless of which linear comp is on there. Very easy to do with such a short "pistol" Tuck it in and tightly pull back into your shoulder. With barely any extra rifle out in front of your support hand you can run it nice and flat for as fast as you can pull the trigger.

For shats and giggles, I am going to run my 10.5" AR Pistol in the next locak carbine match. Only one stage has us going out past 50 yards. Alternating shots at 100 and 200 yards for a total of 20 rounds. Should be fun.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#42]
GRG Krinkov Style Muzzle Balancer

I've been looking around for a muzzle device for a while and this is what I ended up ordering:

http://www.amazon.com/Krinkov-Style-223-Muzzle-Balancer/dp/B00G3O95CQ

It's basically a generic KX3 for $40 on amazon. I like the KX3 but didn't want to shell out $125 when I only paid $240 for my upper(Radical Firearms).

I'll let you guys know how it works out after I put it on.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For those of you who were curious about the Kineti-tech:

Standard A2:  2.0oz
Kineti Comp:  2.4oz
With Shroud:  3.8oz

The shroud is aluminum so it is actually pretty light.
View Quote

I left an email for Keneti-tech for this weight information, but they didn't respond. Thanks for taking the time to weigh it! The Ferfrans brake weighs 3.9oz and shroud and brake 10.3oz from their literature.

I ordered the Keneti-tech 2 piece yesterday in 5/8-24 for my 300 blk pistol. Currently have a BRT and like the way it directs the blast down range. Just trying to find something keep the barrel a bit more steady. I'm interested to see what the difference is...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I've read a few reviews of Kineti tech on Amazon saying the .223 model has the same bore diameter as the .30 cal and aren't effective as a brake.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I read all the Amazon reviews and found one review that stated the bore size was too large. Most were complementary of the device. 10 of the 27 reviewers of the 223 model are using the device on 22's. It was rated 4.5 out of 5 by those 27.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I went with the KX3, would like to try one of these though.  http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Blast_Master_Linear_Compensator_p/kies-blst%20mstr22.htm

View Quote

That looks to be the same as the Levang, except with some extra machining on the outside to make it look cool.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Nothing like the Levang.
It's heavier, has a conical baffle and inset ports.
It also has flats to tighten it.

Still basically does the same thing, move the blast forward. But I felt like it did a better job.

Dave N
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I ordered the STD the other day.  I liked its simplicity & size.

Question for the guys running one:  Did you make any effort to time the device?  Does it need to be timed?  I see that there are four "ports" do you see any kind of pattern to the flash as the result of the location of these cuts?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I didn't time my STD. Just cinched it down hand tight. Hasn't given me issued or come loose. You might get a bit of a clover effect with the cuts so timing it to have one of the points at your 12 o'clock might keep one of the flash clovers out of your line of sight. I haven't noticed anything bad without timing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top