Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 9:18:28 AM EDT
I have high cheek bones, I need like 1/2 elevation to use standard height stuff.  Anyone ever adapt anythign or just make something to make an elevated cheek rest?  

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking that would be a bust since you are modifying an "arm brace" to be used as a stock.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I think that would be unwise. It is an arm brace. or, if you feel fine about it, modify it, then post back here with your preferred shooting method and a picture.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking that would be a bust since you are modifying an "arm brace" to be used as a stock.
View Quote

hmmmm

goddammit!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Look we got a good thing goin with the sig brace.

Let's not fuck it up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Let's not fuck it up.
View Quote

oh, if someone gets busted for modifying an arm brace, its not going to fuck it up for everyone else, just that guy, unless the jury does its duty.

but, yeah, I geuss that is some ambiguity.

What is thei CAA arm brace peopple speak of?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#7]

We were overdue for a Sig brace thread.....

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

oh, if someone gets busted for modifying an arm brace, its not going to fuck it up for everyone else, just that guy, unless the jury does its duty.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not fuck it up.

your thinking of the CAA saddle stock. Its not a brace at all. It's meant to mount on a milspec ar stock to improve the cheekweld and give a place for you to store batteries. Some people buy a thorsden cover and mount that to a standard mil spec buffer tube. Once that cover is on you can mount the saddle stock to it. There are many pics on the pic thread of this
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Tell the 7N6 guys one can't fuck it up for everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We were overdue for a Sig brace thread.....

View Quote

No kidding
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

So true...
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was so written in a federal statute that if there was a handgun on the market that could shoot it then ATF could ban import of ammo...  Admittely, they interpreted liberally as to what is AP ammo and so forth, but there was something in law for them to use as a pretext.  

there is nothing written to the effect that if someone modifies an arm brace and uses it as a stock that then all unmodified braces will henceforthe be banned.  you'll need to chill a bit.  Once again, for the ATF to ban the arm brace, congress would have to amend the NFA.  

I gaurantingfuckingtee that if ATF tried to ban the arm brace, Sig rape them in court so hard and fast ribs would be hurting for years.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

your thinking of the CAA saddle stock. Its not a brace at all. It's meant to mount on a milspec ar stock to improve the cheekweld and give a place for you to store batteries. Some people buy a thorsden cover and mount that to a standard mil spec buffer tube. Once that cover is on you can mount the saddle stock to it. There are many pics on the pic thread of this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not fuck it up.

okay, so the throdson thing.  It can holst a elevated cheek rest I see, but then the LOP is all wrong, the cheek rest is short and all the way to the rear of the little short tube.  No way to make 4 pts of contact w/ that.  

What if took a M4 type stock body, buthcered it, cut off the butt and just left it as a tube sliding on a carbien receiver extension.  Then I attached a cheek riser to it?  Or, even better, I took a CTR, butcheered it similarly, then attached a Larue RISR to it.  Then I have the length I need to actually lay my cheek down....  

I do have a SBR lower lol, but I want to be able to trave out of state w/ a broken down shorty in a back pack w/o having to get permissions.   I have to drive out of state all th time on little notice for work, so I really need the AR pistol.    The sig brace works great but I need more elevation to have a cheek weld.

Looks like I eithe rhave to choose b/t a cheek weld and no shoulder contact or a chin weld and shoulder contact w/ the Sig Brace.  
Well I guess the latter is better.

This thing looks longer than 7+".  

How long are those thorsen things from the back of th eend plate?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I might send a letter to the tech branch asking if I can put a RISR or similar on a sig arm brace.  I mean hell, just cause I have it on there so that I can put my arm through it doesn't mean I can't rest my cheek on it.  Cheek rests are an established as legal on AR pistols.

If they say yes, then I would be good, though no one else really.  What it woudl toake for us all to be good would be for a accessory mfgr to submit a prototype SB15 cheek rest and see if it would get approval for manufacturing...   But most people are fine w/ the AR comb height I guess.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I might send a letter to the tech branch asking if I can put a RISR or similar on a sig arm brace.  I mean hell, just cause I have it on there so that I can put my arm through it doesn't mean I can't rest my cheek on it.  Cheek rests are an established as legal on AR pistols.

If they say yes, then I would be good, though no one else really.  What it woudl toake for us all to be good would be for a accessory mfgr to submit a prototype SB15 cheek rest and see if it would get approval for manufacturing...   But most people are fine w/ the AR comb height I guess.
View Quote

or, you know, don't?

why does everyone run off to ask permission from the ATF?  This is how we end up with precedents for arrest and prosecution.  How about do what you want to do, STFU about it, and live happily ever after?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

or, you know, don't?

why does everyone run off to ask permission from the ATF?  This is how we end up with precedents for arrest and prosecution.  How about do what you want to do, STFU about it, and live happily ever after?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or, you know, don't?

so my choices are:
1. do the mod w/o checking first and always be anxious about it and maybe set a precedent for prosecution b/c I don't have an exculpatory document.
2. get a letter from the tech branch that justifies the mod so that the community benefits from the added permissive letter which can, if nothing else, be referenced in future individual inquiriries.  

How is 2 not a better thing?   If they tell me no, no cheek rests, then we really don't loose anyting.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

so my choices are:
1. do the mod w/o checking first and always be anxious about it and maybe set a precedent for prosecution b/c I don't have an exculpatory document.
2. get a letter from the tech branch that justifies the mod so that the community benefits from the added permissive letter which can, if nothing else, be referenced in future individual inquiriries.  

How is 2 not a better thing?   If they tell me no, no cheek rests, then we really don't loose anyting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or, you know, don't?

so my choices are:

3. get a letter which says NO.  mess everyone else up and make people who have already done it criminals.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It was so written in a federal statute that if there was a handgun on the market that could shoot it then ATF could ban import of ammo...  Admittely, they interpreted liberally as to what is AP ammo and so forth, but there was something in law for them to use as a pretext.  

there is nothing written to the effect that if someone modifies an arm brace and uses it as a stock that then all unmodified braces will henceforthe be banned.  you'll need to chill a bit.  Once again, for the ATF to ban the arm brace, congress would have to amend the NFA.  

I gaurantingfuckingtee that if ATF tried to ban the arm brace, Sig rape them in court so hard and fast ribs would be hurting for years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aww that's cute, you think the ATF can't make stuff up as they go along.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the have some latitude to be arbitrary sure, but there has to be a statutory foundation to it.  if they had not to heed statue, do u think they would have approved the SF stock or the arm brace to begin with?   sure they would like to prohibit both but the cannot, congress would have to either ban them or redefine machine gun and rifle statutorily.    they had grounds to ban 76n bc of the language of a statuate, same as how they banned surplus 30x39 in the 90s.  their argument may be contriversial, but so long as the vestiges of the rule of law remain, they still have to act within some statatory limits witb their regs.  

so just relax about the sig brace.  it would take an act of congress to kill it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

the have some latitude to be arbitrary sure, but there has to be a statutory foundation to it.  if they had not to heed statue, do u think they would have approved the SF stock or the arm brace to begin with?   sure they would like to prohibit both but the cannot, congress would have to either ban them or redefine machine gun and rifle statutorily.    they had grounds to ban 76n bc of the language of a statuate, same as how they banned surplus 30x39 in the 90s.  their argument may be contriversial, but so long as the vestiges of the rule of law remain, they still have to act within some statatory limits witb their regs.  

so just relax about the sig brace.  it would take an act of congress to kill it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, no it wouldn't.

All it would take is ATF to get a bug in their ass about it and reverse their decision. they've done it before with other products.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
no, no it wouldn't.

All it would take is ATF to get a bug in their ass about it and reverse their decision. they've done it before with other products.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, no it wouldn't.

Exactly. It's not a fucking face brace it's an arm brace. Why would building up a cheek rest make sense or be legal?

People won't be happy until they ruin this.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#22]
This is yet another example of why I didn't buy a Sig brace for my pistol... only a matter of time before the ATF says "screw you knuckle heads, we changed our mind... we gave you all a bone and a few of you just had too fuck it up"
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]
First rule of Sig Brace is "Don't Modify Sig Brace".

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is yet another example of why I didn't buy a Sig brace for my pistol... only a matter of time before the ATF says "screw you knuckle heads, we changed our mind... we gave you all a bone and a few of you just had too fuck it up"
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#25]
can i hasva fleshlightt in a sig brce?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can I rubber band a banana to mine?

- OS
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I must have been drunk when I posted that.  

Yeah, I sent a letter to the Tech Branch.  It said:
"Deer Sir or Madam (or Sir/Madam),
If I were to put an elevated cheek rest on the sig brace, would you shoot my dog then me at 3 AM?  Whatabout all the guys on Arfcom, would you then go after their dogs?  They told me that you can just redefine the Statutory meaning of the word "rifle" at will and that an opinion letter addressed to me could "make something illegal".

Sincerely,

RWN."

We'll see what they say.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:57:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Let's not fuck it up.
+1

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I come here for the laughs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

so my choices are:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or, you know, don't?

so my choices are:

Option 3
Lower your optics.  Just don't use a high rise mount, use a standard mount.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#33]
standard moun is too high.

a CASV mount is almost low enough.  But then I can't cowitness a magnifier or angle sight or pvs14 etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd shoot it and deal with it as is or just sell it and build a rifle.  Or spend the money on a tax stamp. ..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't understand why all this idiots have to fuck with it, just go and spend your 200 for a stamp like most of us that want to be able to put whatever stock we want, and leave the brace alone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely won't happen, the sample submitted was near exactly the same as what was produced and it works how it was designed. The only examples where they have changed their mind is when the sample was not the same as the actual product. Although the person that modifies the product could get severely punished for doing so because they are actually changing the product from how it was submitted and manufactured.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can't understand why all this idiots have to fuck with it, just go and spend your 200 for a stamp like most of us that want to be able to put whatever stock we want, and leave the brace alone.
View Quote

there are reasons to want a "pistol" rather than a SBR.  I have a SBR but I need a pistol for htis
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#40]

yeah, but then I don't have the arm brace flaps...  Nuts
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#41]
cut a 5 inch portion of the pipe insulation
and attach it to an arm brace using the peel and stick adhesive

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top