Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 8:11:47 AM EDT
After starting off as a"budget" build using some parts bin leftovers looking like this...

My pistol is now officially complete in it's newest incarnation... I'm done

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good, but you're never "done"...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice loooking pistol. It looks like you swapped out so many parts you pretty much have enough to build another complete one...

Trust me you are never done. I built a 7.5 and Saud I was done. Now I have a 10.5 as well and am planning my 3rd in 9mm.

It's a disease my friend.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good, but you're never "done"...
View Quote

Only with this one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Correct me if i am wrong but your not allowed to have a VFG (verticle forward grip) on a pistol. It changes it to a SBR.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Correct me if i am wrong but your not allowed to have a VFG (verticle forward grip) on a pistol. It changes it to a SBR.
View Quote

If the gun in question without a stock is greater than 26" it is not a rifle or a pistol(when the vert grip is attached). It now lives in the magical nonsensical random world of arbitrary ATF 'firearms' and the Vert grip is allowed at 26"+ OAL.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

OAL from the end of the threads of this barrel (not counting the Claymore addition to length) to the back of the KAK tube is approximately 27 1/8 ".

It's GTG as a "firearm"..
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
What mod rail is that?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What mod rail is that?
View Quote

Standard DD M4 V7 12 incher...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice loooking pistol. It looks like you swapped out so many parts you pretty much have enough to build another complete one...

Trust me you are never done. I built a 7.5 and Saud I was done. Now I have a 10.5 as well and am planning my 3rd in 9mm.

It's a disease my friend.
View Quote

Hmmmm. I DO have a strippeed Spikes Punisher lower sitting in the safe...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks great. I like it.

ETA:Agree..after saying the same thing, I build a complete 11.5" soon after first 10.5" was done. Both using the brace.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OAL from the end of the threads of this barrel (not counting the Claymore addition to length) to the back of the KAK tube is approximately 27 1/8 ".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This really needs to be made into a sticky.

Could a Mod start a Sticky thready titled like OFFICIAL >26" AR Type Firearm Thread and start it out with the ATF letter or something.

I see at least 5 posts everyday about someone who knows nothing about AR pistols or AR type firearms post something like "You better take that VFG off that illegal SBR before the ATF will come busting down your door and arrest you"
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Could a Mod start a Sticky thready titled like OFFICIAL >26" AR Type Firearm Thread and start it out with the ATF letter or something.

I see at least 5 posts everyday about someone who knows nothing about AR pistols or AR type firearms post something like "You better take that VFG off that illegal SBR before the ATF will come busting down your door and arrest you"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Sticky link is below.  Look at BATFE letter dated July 18, 2011.

Their answer to Question 2 addresses the issue of installing a vertical foregrip on an AR-type firearm similar to the Franklin Armory XO-26 having an "overall length exceeding 26 inches, and a barrel approximately 11-1/2 inches in length."  

As they said, "Such a firearm would not be subject to the NFA/AOW classification provided its overall length is at least 26 inches and it is not actually concealed on the person."

"Finally, please check to make sure that construction of your proposed firearm does not violate any (your state) State laws or local ordinances."

Question 3 address how to properly determine the overall length measurement.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BATFE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html&page=3
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sticky link is below.  Look at BATFE letter dated July 18, 2011.

Their answer to Question 2 addresses the issue of installing a vertical foregrip on an AR-type firearm similar to the Franklin Armory XO-26 having an "overall length exceeding 26 inches, and a barrel approximately 11-1/2 inches in length."  

As they said, "Such a firearm would not be subject to the NFA/AOW classification provided its overall length is at least 26 inches and it is not actually concealed on the person."

"Finally, please check to make sure that construction of your proposed firearm does not violate any (your state) State laws or local ordinances."

Question 3 address how to properly determine the overall length measurement.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/525036_Request___Scans_of_any_letters_from_the_BATFE__that_pertain_to_AR_pistols.html&page=3
View Quote

I know there is a sticky with all the ATF letters in it. I was talking more about a specific Sticky or an OFFICIAL thread for >26" AR Type Firearms
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#15]
My response was more directed at 'Bearcat24', but I get your point.

BTW, there is already an Annoucement type sticky at the top here titled 'ATF Rule on Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun'.  Perhaps the mods can update it with the relevant ATF letters specifically:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/458387_ATF_Rule_on_Adding_a_Vertical_Fore_Grip_to_a_Handgun__Specifically_the_AR15_Pistol_.html
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Reading all the different letters is giving me a headache. When I finish my build, I will post it so someone with a law degree that can make sense of the various letters posted can tell me what the fuck I just built. There should be a sticky with ALL the letters and no comments as a reference point. (yeah, i'm a little slow).
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys think it's bad here...I posted up the pics for some of my gun enthusiast friends on a Corvette Forum and you should see all discussion regarding this by the legal experts that are coming out against the whole issue of the vertical grip and shouldering the Sig Brace.

Some refuse to learn from current changes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#18]
If the money grabbing government wouldn't tag 200 bucks on a SBR, they would make more on sales tax than the chump change they make now. A rifle is a rifle. Who gives a shit if its a 10 inch barrel or 30 inches. Then of course they don't pass that info on to LLE to educate them but leave them in the dark until questioned about it. What ever happened to KISS. I read the opinion letter on shoulder shooting with the SIG brace. Am sure folks with AR pistols with just foam on the tube stick that in the shoulder pocket and shoot. Is that illegal? At least I have a range close buy that sells the sig version so I know I won't get hassled when I go shoot my new build when its completed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I read the opinion letter on shoulder shooting with the SIG brace. Am sure folks with AR pistols with just foam on the tube stick that in the shoulder pocket and shoot. Is that illegal?
View Quote

I think yes.  There must be same rule for Sig brace as for generic foam brace serving the same function.  They can't simply endorse the Sig brace only.  At least that's how my lawyer should argue the case.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Sexy sexy
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also, just to correct both your suppositions :

Illegal use of a VFG would make it an AOW, not SBR.

Nice heater Don!

- OS
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#22]
oops, double tap, meant to edit above post.

So I'll just add pic of my own "not an AOW" to keep post from being a total waste:  

- OS

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So I'll just add pic of my own "not an AOW" to keep post from being a total waste:  

http://routedriver.home.comcast.net/pub/ARpistol-final.jpg

- OS

View Quote

Now this is sweet. Spec's and cost to build?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://routedriver.home.comcast.net/pub/ARpistol-final.jpg

- OS

Thanks. Well, it "evolved", started as this, shortly before Sandy Hook:

Had 'bout $650 or a bit less it at the time, if you count the lower as part of it. (was actually using one lower in a "kit" with 2 other rifle uppers). J&T complete upper, the PSA blem lower, BCM BCG, inexpensive buffer tube assembly, Magpul rear sight.

Then you can see the rest of the changes over time once I dedicated a lower to just the pistol: Magpul handguard, QD mounted Magpul VFG, KAK tube, SB15, Vortex StrikeFire.  Oh, and the lower became a billet CMT Tactical that got a deal on by a group buy through my "home" forum, tngunowners.com (that's TGO logo on the side).

So really, with all that, building exact same thing from scratch, maybe 9 bills I guess.

- OS

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

BTW, there is already an Annoucement type sticky at the top here titled 'ATF Rule on Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun'.  Perhaps the mods can update it with the relevant ATF letters specifically:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/458387_ATF_Rule_on_Adding_a_Vertical_Fore_Grip_to_a_Handgun__Specifically_the_AR15_Pistol_.html
View Quote

That letter clearly states adding a VFG to handgun makes it an AOW.  There is no mention of OAL.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That letter clearly states adding a VFG to handgun makes it an AOW.  There is no mention of OAL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That letter is correct assuming the OAL is <26". The letter which OK's the VFG on an AR pistol with an OAL >26" is the Franklin Armory XO-26 Letter found here.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice pistol! Looks like it was built by a pro!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#28]
VFG ON A  PISTOL?!?!?

I'd redact my posts & review federal firearms law Right Frakking Now if I were y'all.

Especially if you are not interested in surprise buttsex in federal prison.

Just sayin'...
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
VFG ON A  PISTOL?!?!?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/parapyropig/00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000005BF_zpsr25vv7ha.jpg

I'd redact my posts & review federal firearms law Right Frakking Now if I were y'all.

Just sayin'...
View Quote

You'll redact your own post once you read the law. Over 26" OAL VFG is gtg as it is no longer a "pistol".

Just sayin...

Heres a link to another thread that will help you better understand what I am referring to...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/651727_26__OAL_VFG_Firearm_Picture_and_Info_Thread.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You'll redact your own post once you read the law. Over 26" OAL VFG is gtg.

Just sayin...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VFG ON A  PISTOL?!?!?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/parapyropig/00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000005BF_zpsr25vv7ha.jpg

Just sayin'...

You'll redact your own post once you read the law. Over 26" OAL VFG is gtg.

Just sayin...

Here we go again...I literally just posted a link to the ATF letter stating it is completely legal to mount a VFG to an AR pistol with an OAL >26" three posts up from you

can we please stop with this bullshit
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

OUCH
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OUCH
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OUCH

Maybe he is interested in it?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OUCH

Don't be telling ALL my secrets...
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#34]
http://www.drugstore.com/k-y-jelly-personal-lubricant/qxp12679
Bring allot with you
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
VFG ON A  PISTOL?!?!?

Just sayin'...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
VFG ON A  PISTOL?!?!?

Just sayin'...

There's always one.  Always.  At least one.

Read the motherfucking thread, Bubba!  Read ALL the other threads where this is addressed!

I've requested several times for mods to sticky something about this infinite stream of continual bullshit.

There is a fucking sticky! Not that morons will read it though.

Quoted:
Bring allot with you

For fucks sake, you too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#36]
JFHC the AR pistol forum has become a wretched hive of dipshits and their douchebaggery, it's worse than a fucking gun store.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OUCH

Surprise!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

let me help you out friend.  An AR15 w/o a butstock that is >26" IS NOT A PISTOL TO BEGIN WITH!   It is a "firearm" to begin with.  As a firearm, not a pistol or rifle but a firearm, there is no restriction on having a VFG on it.   It is NOT a pistol, it does NOT become a AOW.  It is a "firearm" before and after VFG install.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
JFHC the AR pistol forum has become a wretched hive of dipshits and their douchebaggery, it's worse than a fucking gun store.
View Quote

everyother guy is a former socom spaceshuttle door gunner/lawyer recommending 380 special revolvers and talking about how you have to pay $200/yr/NFA item and submit to annual home inspections lol.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, I hope you didnt' buy that Troy brake new.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

everyother guy is a former socom spaceshuttle door gunner/lawyer recommending 380 special revolvers and talking about how you have to pay $200/yr/NFA item and submit to annual home inspections lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just with the "Don't ya know that's illegal, boi?" shit.

It's like a Fudd gunshop whose employees ask "Whatcha want one o' DEM for?"
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Read the motherfucking thread, Bubba!  Read ALL the other threads where this is addressed!

I've requested several times for mods to sticky something about this infinite stream of continual bullshit.

For fucks sake, you too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VFG ON A  PISTOL?!?!?

Just sayin'...

Quoted:
Bring allot with you

For fucks sake, you too.

Its called HUMOR duschbag!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#43]

You're right. I'm wrong. Peaceout.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
let me help you out friend.  An AR15 w/o a butstock that is >26" IS NOT A PISTOL TO BEGIN WITH!   It is a "firearm" to begin with.  As a firearm, not a pistol or rifle but a firearm, there is no restriction on having a VFG on it.   It is NOT a pistol, it does NOT become a AOW.  It is a "firearm" before and after VFG install.
View Quote

Brother, you're almost as wrong as he is.

The federal definition of "handgun" or "pistol" has not changed. There is no overall length restriction on a pistol. It's a pistol at any length. It only becomes a firearm with addition of the VFG. And magically transforms back into a pistol when the VFG is removed.

Again, the definition of handgun/pistol has not changed. The VFG/26" ruling is merely a narrow exception to AOW classification.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#45]
-deleted by author-
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#46]
to the OP, what are the specs of all the goodies you built that with?
Interesting, I like it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks. Here's the parts list...

DPMS 10 1/2" 1/9 chrome moly barrel (spare parts bin)
Troy Claymore linear comp
Full auto BCG (spare parts bin)
Mod 4 BCM Gunfighter charging handle
PSA upper
Spikes Spider Lower
Geiselle G2S trigger
KNS pins
BCM low pro gas block
DPMS carbine gas tube
DD V7 mod rail
KAK buffer tube
Spikes T2 heavy buffer
Noveske QD plate
Sig SB-15  brace
Magpull MOE+ grip and RVG
Diamonhead ISS diamond flip sights
Magpul MS4 sling
Vortex 1X Prism Spitfire

I think that about covers it.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top