User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know it's probably a redundant (x1000) question, but if the pistol is under 26" and it has the magpul afg it is NOT an NFA item. Correct?
View Quote

Correct. That's one of the reasons they are so popular.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+3.
p.s. Add the vertical grip at the very end of the build if you're thinking about using one. That way, you can always take it off later and the weapon is now a "pistol" again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  A pistol's OAL is NOT defined in federal law.  Nor is there a federal Title 1 gun category called "weapon".

IF a pistol OAL is over 26", AND you add a VFG to it, and you DO NOT conceal it, it is no longer a pistol, but a "firearm".  Still a Title 1 gun.

If a pistol OAL is under 26", AND you add a VFG to it, it becomes an AOW - and you better have the tax stamp before you install the VFG.  Now a Title 2 gun.

If a pistol OAL is over 26", AND you add a VFG, AND you conceal it on or about your person, it becomes an AOW - and you better have the tax stamp before you conceal it.  Now a Title 2 gun.

+3.
p.s. Add the vertical grip at the very end of the build if you're thinking about using one. That way, you can always take it off later and the weapon is now a "pistol" again.

Same principle with rifle stocks.  Deflower the virgin receiver as a pistol, and federally it will always return to being a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not again.

A pistol's OAL is NOT defined in federal law.  Nor is there a federal Title 1 gun category called "weapon".

IF a pistol OAL is over 26", AND you add a VFG to it, and you DO NOT conceal it, it is no longer a pistol, but a "firearm".  Still a Title 1 gun.

If a pistol OAL is under 26", AND you add a VFG to it, it becomes an AOW - and you better have the tax stamp before you install the VFG.  Now a Title 2 gun.

If a pistol OAL is over 26", AND you add a VFG, AND you conceal it on or about your person, it becomes an AOW - and you better have the tax stamp before you conceal it.  Now a Title 2 gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  if it's under 26 inches. Over 26 and it's a weapon. Weapons aren't governed by the same rules as rifles or pistols. IE you can put a front vertical foregrip on a weapon but not a pistol.

Not again.

A pistol's OAL is NOT defined in federal law.  Nor is there a federal Title 1 gun category called "weapon".

there must be a federal definition of weapon as it's use in the 1929 national firearms act as a portion of one of the four classifications. Any other weapon.
There is a gentlemen who shoots at the range I do who has a semiauto M2 with spade grips, thing must weigh 125 lbs. By backbenchers reasoning it's a pistol, so is the 45-70 cannon dad built. Maybe I need to remind all the learned persons on this board that laws hardly ever say what's legal, only what's illegal.
The reason the NFA mentions rifle, pistol,shotgun etc isn't to classify all weapons into four categories. It's to explain items covered under the statute.
A SBR Is a weapon/firearm made from a rifle, now we need to define rifle. SBS, shotgun. AOW isn't any other weapon, it's "any other weapon requiring registration under the NFA". Pistols are only mentioned because adding a second vertical grip is illegal under the NFA.
edit also NFA illegal are smoothbore pistols. so two things
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  ]there must be a federal definition of weapon as it's use in the 1929 national firearms act as a portion of one of the four classifications. Any other weapon.
There is a gentlemen who shoots at the range I do who has a semiauto M2 with spade grips, thing must weigh 125 lbs. By backbenchers reasoning it's a pistol, so is the 45-70 cannon dad built. Maybe I need to remind all the learned persons on this board that laws hardly ever say what's legal, only what's illegal.
The reason the NFA mentions rifle, pistol,shotgun etc isn't to classify all weapons into four categories. It's to explain items covered under the statute.
A SBR Is a weapon/firearm made from a rifle, now we need to define rifle. SBS, shotgun. AOW isn't any other weapon, it's "any other weapon requiring registration under the NFA". Pistols are only mentioned because adding a second vertical grip is illegal under the NFA.
edit also NFA illegal are smoothbore pistols. so two things
View Quote

williewvr, go read up on the 1934 National Firearms Act, and get back to us.  There isn't a 1929 nfa.

Your friend's semi-auto M2 is a Title 1 "firearm", as it's not designed to be fired from the shoulder, nor to be fired with one hand.  Your dad's 45"-70 may well be a pistol.  And there's 10 categories - 5 in Title 1, 5 in Title 2.

other, pistol, rifle, shotgun, firearm; AOW, SBS, SBR, machinegun, DD.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:52:51 AM EDT
[#5]
This.AGAIN.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:55:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  This.AGAIN.
View Quote

It will always come up until we overturn or gut the NFA.  It's confusing as hell, and state laws that are even worse don't help.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Ballistic Advantage 10.5" 1:7 Melonited barrel+gas block+gas tube

Smith Vortex FH

Centurion C4 10" rail

Primary Arms MD06 with PA mount

762 industries bcg

BCM Mod 3 grip

BCM Mod 4 charging handle

Sig brace
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Just finished, I'll update with specs later.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It will always come up until we overturn or gut the NFA.  It's confusing as hell, and state laws that are even worse don't help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  This.AGAIN.

Agreed.  Less legal talk, more photos!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Spikes Upper
Spikes Lower
Noveske 8.5" 300blk Barrel
SpecWar 7.62 Can
Seekins 12" MCSR V2 Keymod
Noveske Panel Sections
Magpul PROs
Umbrelle Corp Grip
KAK Super Tube

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Your friend's semi-auto M2 is a Title 1 "firearm", as it's not designed to be fired from the shoulder, nor to be fired with one hand.

View Quote
This is correct according to letters from BATFE. An AR pistol, oal of greater than 26" and a VFG now classifies it as a firearm. Cannot be concealed... probably have a hard time pullin that of anyway.. lol
Pics...
A 556 firearm..

A 300AAC firearm...

*sorry, pics ain't working right for me.. *

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn....Murica as all hell! Get some more pics of that bad boy! I need a new desktop background.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
OK here is mine.

7.5 inch barrel, KAK muzzle devise Primary Arms sight and Magpul backups, angled foregrip, and the K2 pistol grip. I made the buffer tube, and finished the 80% lower.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/rifleshooter2/IMG_20141003_123924_193_zpswdpzc600.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/rifleshooter2/IMG_20141003_123906_984_zpsqlabob5j.jpg
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  OK here is mine.

7.5 inch barrel, KAK muzzle devise Primary Arms sight and Magpul backups, angled foregrip, and the K2 pistol grip. I made the buffer tube, and finished the 80% lower.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rifleshooter2/media/IMG_20141003_123924_193_zpswdpzc600.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/rifleshooter2/IMG_20141003_123924_193_zpswdpzc600.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rifleshooter2/media/IMG_20141003_123906_984_zpsqlabob5j.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/rifleshooter2/IMG_20141003_123906_984_zpsqlabob5j.jpg</a>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/rifleshooter2/IMG_20141003_123924_193_zpswdpzc600.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/rifleshooter2/IMG_20141003_123906_984_zpsqlabob5j.jpg
View Quote

Nice gat - and you ARE the consummate lurker!  You may indeed win the lowest post count per year award!  We are indeed honored that you post in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a man of few words. But I read a lot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Built this one up a few days ago.  Waiting on my Form 1 and Form 4 to arrive.  Got to "test fit" the can on Friday at the LGS which is holding it for me.  Moved the light to the other side and put on a new pistol grip after test fitting the suppressor.  Can't wait until I get to bring my can home.  

Horrible cell phone pics so I apologize.  

8.5" Rainier Arms 300BLK barrel
7" Fortis Rev rail
CMT billet upper and lower
KAK buffer kit with Sig brace
Eotech EXPS2
Diamondhead back up sights with the tritium inlays
Elzetta Alpha light with 5" tape switch
Magpul MOE Plus grip
Odin extended mag release button "red"
Fortis Hammer charging handle
AAC Brakeout 2.0 muzzle device

*ETA=  My pics don't appear to be showing up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#18]
So i added the HEX2 tube on my AR pistol to stop the sig brace from sliding forward. well i noticed that it was slipping up and over the lips on the HEX2 and still moving forward. has anyone else dealt with their brace moving forward? how did you stop it? i thought about taking it all the way off and adding some spray adhesive on the tube and then sliding the brace back on and letting it dry.

HEX2 tube btw

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#19]
That is why I prefer this one.......it hasn't moved forward past the shoulder at all.

Just my $0.02

Click Here

P.S. ......and there is still a full length of tube supporting the entire rear of the SIG brace.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I finally picked up a Sig brace recently.  What are my options if I want the brace to stick out farther?  I see that the KAK buffer tube gives you an extra 1.5" of length.
View Quote
Phase 5 , hex2c

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Phase 5 , hex2c

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I finally picked up a Sig brace recently.  What are my options if I want the brace to stick out farther?  I see that the KAK buffer tube gives you an extra 1.5" of length.
Phase 5 , hex2c

KAK also has spacer kits to go with the buffer kits they sell on their web site.  I bought them but ended up using the smaller one.  If you look at my pics above you can see it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Which hand guard is this if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:19:30 AM EDT
[#23]
ST gen2 billet set( NIBX coated by WMD )
ST 11.5 chf lw
ST barking spider
ST spider grip
ST nib bcg
Rainier raptor ch
V7 ejection door
CMC flat bow 4.5lb trigger
Rainier force 12ln rail
KAK pistol buffer tube with spacers
Sig brace
Northtech ti forward assist
BAD 45 stainless safety
" />
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Phase 5 hex 2c is nice, that's what I used. I really like everything about it.

https://phase5wsi.com/hex-2-pistol-buffer-tube-hex-2-clone.html

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So what do you guys suggest going with: KAK super tube w/ spacers, Phase5 Hex2, or MI new pistol tube? Don't want to buy once cry once.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Hex2c worked great for me.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what do you guys suggest going with: KAK super tube w/ spacers, Phase5 Hex2, or MI new pistol tube? Don't want to buy once cry once.
Thanks in advance.

I currently have the KAK super tube with one spacer now.  Fits great.  I will be building another pistol and might try the Hex2 on that one.  Hope to have a report back on a comparison of the two within a couple weeks.  But if you're like me that will be too long and you will have already made your decision.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

KAK also has spacer kits to go with the buffer kits they sell on their web site.  I bought them but ended up using the smaller one.  If you look at my pics above you can see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Phase 5 , hex2c

Would you be able to measure the ID of the spacer?  I have a Damage Industries pistol buffer with 1.190" OD and wanted to see if I could get the KAK spacer kit to work with my tube.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:55:40 AM EDT
[#29]
finally finished mine up for now (they are never "really" finished, are they?)

PSA lower w/ Magpul grip
Hardened Arms 10.5" 1/7 melonited upper
KAK pistol tube
Sig brace
Magpul flip up BUIS
Vortex SPARC II
KAC rail covers
Magpul RVG
Magpul QD rail sling mount
homemade rear QD sling mount
Sig Sauer QD sling

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Very nice.

What color are your pistol grip and mag?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Very nice.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Very nice.

Thanks

Thanks, the grip and mag are Foliage Green. The cerakote is Magpul foliage green as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Would you be able to measure the ID of the spacer?  I have a Damage Industries pistol buffer with 1.190" OD and wanted to see if I could get the KAK spacer kit to work with my tube.
View Quote

KAK spacers are 1.1875" inner diameter

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Fuck it. I am starting a build.

I ordered this today:

7.5" Aero Precision Upper

Aero Precision BCG

KAK Buffer tube kit

Sig Brace

I will pick this up in the next two months:

Aero Lower

LPK

Geiselle trigger of some sort, prob SSA-E

Law Tactical folding mechanism

Magpul K grip

Some sort of BUIS

Optic of some sort. RMR, T1, 1.5 Acog. Who knows.

View Quote
Unless you have small hands, get the K2.  The K felt a bit too small...

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Ok thanks. I am just trying to keep this thing tiny. I usually run Larue grips or Magpul Moe + rubber grips.
View Quote
Yeah, I use the MOE+ on my standard length rifles, but the K2 on SBRs and pistols...

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Primary purpose: home defense

Secondary purpose: field use.

SB-15
GG&G Universal Sling Loop (rear)
Midwest Industries TS sling loop (front)
Looped receiver plate
KAK buffer tube
Billet lower
G.I. 20-round mag
Magpul K2 Grip
KNS non-rotate pin set
ALG Combat Trigger
Forged flat top upper
VLTOR charging handle
Palmetto State Armory flip-up rear sight
Yankee Hill Diamond handguard
Ergo rail covers
Magpul AFG2
10.5” heavy barrel, .223 Wylde chamber
Yankee Hill FSB, H&K flip-up front sight
Smith Vortex FH
Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser
Home-brew 2-point sling, mash hooks
Eotech 512

I tried originally posting here but newbie-goofed and it ended up in
the general "AR Pistols" section.  My main post is called "For your
consideration: An AR-based Personal Defense Weapon (PDW)".  Yep, I probably
shoulda called it "The Poor Man's Tavor" instead.  The two are very close in size
and weight.

Called it a PDW because I've been experimenting with duplicating the ballistics of
PDW loads like the 5.7 x 28 in .556 for home defense.  See that thread for my
reasoning and progress so far.

I've heard from one person who's going to experiment with reduced .300 AAC
loads for house gun use.  Anyone else here fiddled with .556 reduced loads?

See that post for more pix, including addition of a sling loop to the SB15.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c195/numero_6/000_Full_LHS_no_sling_zps9a73aa06.jpg
Primary purpose: home defense

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c195/numero_6/017_Field_setup_zps95451eae.jpg
Secondary purpose: field use.

SB-15
GG&G Universal Sling Loop (rear)
Midwest Industries TS sling loop (front)
Looped receiver plate
KAK buffer tube
Billet lower
G.I. 20-round mag
Magpul K2 Grip
KNS non-rotate pin set
ALG Combat Trigger
Forged flat top upper
VLTOR charging handle
Palmetto State Armory flip-up rear sight
Yankee Hill Diamond handguard
Ergo rail covers
Magpul AFG2
10.5” heavy barrel, .223 Wylde chamber
Yankee Hill FSB, H&K flip-up front sight
Smith Vortex FH
Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser
Home-brew 2-point sling, mash hooks
Eotech 512

I tried originally posting here but newbie-goofed and it ended up in
the general "AR Pistols" section.  My main post is called "For your
consideration: An AR-based Personal Defense Weapon (PDW)".  Yep, I probably
shoulda called it "The Poor Man's Tavor" instead.  The two are very close in size
and weight.

Called it a PDW because I've been experimenting with duplicating the ballistics of
PDW loads like the 5.7 x 28 in .556 for home defense.  See that thread for my
reasoning and progress so far.

I've heard from one person who's going to experiment with reduced .300 AAC
loads for house gun use.  Anyone else here fiddled with .556 reduced loads?

See that post for more pix, including addition of a sling loop to the SB15.
View Quote

Here you go.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#39]

I like that!   What are the specs? barrel length? handguard?

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm pleased how it turned out. I was skeptical about the brace at first. My ultimate plan was to turn it into an SBR eventually. However, now since I have it together the brace is growing on me. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, who knows maybe I won't go through the hassle and just keep the sig brace.

Receivers and rail are cerakoted Magpul foliage, small parts Armor black.

Range Tool upper and lower
SLR 9" Solo lite keymod
Aero Precision 7.5" 5.56 barrel
KAK slimline flash can
KAK super tube
Rainier nib bcg
Spikes nib battle trigger
SLR Renegade charging handle
BAD ambi safety
Fortis qd end plate
Magpul K2 grip
Sig brace

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#41]
sorry Iphone  pic

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct.  Sorry I missed your request for info buddy.  I didn't see it.  I measured mine out close to this as well with my "old" eyes.  My micrometer batteries are dead.  However, you may want to contact  KAK directly and make sure everything will work in your favor.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Almost done with my 8.5" 300 BLK pistol build. Just need the front sight and I'm off to the range!

THE GOODS

--------------

8.5" CMMG IN 300 BLK w/ MAS Defense Nitride Pistol length Gas Tube & Steel Lo-Pro Gas Block

Noveske KX3

Vltor CASV-M w/ Magpul AFG

Vltor CAS-FS (front) & Troy (rear)

Vltor MUR 1A

WMD NIB BCG

SPIKES lower w/ WOA LPK & ALG ACT

Troy Trigger Guard

Odin Works XmR

ERGO Dlx Tactical Grip

MAS Defense pistol tube & Sig SB-15

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#44]
picked up my brace today.

300 Blackout

10.5" MAS barrel

MAS flash hider

12" free float tube

PSA fluted buffer tube

Sig SBX

28" overall

Burris fastfire3 until I pick up an optic

Cant wait until my ammo shows up in a few days

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Plain Jane,
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#48]
If I may ask.... where are you guys getting those camo straps? I've looked but no luck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I may ask.... where are you guys getting those camo straps? I've looked but no luck.
View Quote

Phase 5 makes them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Phase 5 makes them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phase 5 makes them.

Thanks. And I forgot.. very nice build. I like it.
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top