Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:20:27 PM EDT
I am looking into AR pistols for the first time and have started reading the tacked threads. What I have not seen is how are you guys shooting these pistols accurately?

Single point sling and extending outward from body?

Foam covered buffer tube against cheek but not against shoulder?

Foam covered buffer tube against cheek and against shoulder?

Arm brace extended from body?

Arm brace against shoulder like stock?

etc.

What do you guys do and why? What gives you the best accuracy?

What would you recommend for someone who is tall and has long arms?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not recommend an AR pistol for someone tall with long arms.

If you really want one I would try the sling method/pushing it away from your body.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#2]
How about a Sig brace on a standard rifle receiver extension? That should be plenty long enough for you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I was quite happy just laying the receiver extension alongside my cheek, which 3rd point of contact beats any stretched out on sling method by a mile for stability for accuracy.

I'm now ecstatic using the SB15 with 12" length of pull and a MOE K2 grip to take strain off wrist from the short LOP. Also, I never have much cared for a VFG on a rifle, but find that I like it very much on this short "firearm", as the KAK buffer tube with a 10.5" barrel allows that option.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Cheek against A2 buffer tube. The A2 gives you more length, which helps.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
    I was quite happy just laying the receiver extension alongside my cheek, which 3rd point of contact beats any stretched out on sling method by a mile for stability for accuracy.
View Quote

+1

I have a sling on my pistol, but it is only for carrying.

I have a pistol buffer tube, wrapped with paracord.  

I am 6' 2", and my arms may not be extremely long, but are slightly longer than average.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems that lately, the Sig brace is far and away the most popular option.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And why not? As long as you can swallow the aesthetics, you can't fault the ergonomics.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And why not? As long as you can swallow the aesthetics, you can't fault the ergonomics.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

It looks as good, if not better, than some stuff put out by Tapco and others
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Sig brace off the shoulder and never look back!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:08:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I shoot mine like anything else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjnvgKBSSCk

My kid is a little guy so he uses the "bazooka" technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShO2KYmRviM
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I have long arms and the spikes buffer tube combined with a standard grip was uncomfortable to shoot. It hurt my wrist and elbow joint and I was tired of hitting my nose on the charging handle. My kid also didn't like shooting it because the tube hurt his shoulder from the recoil. I added a BCM grip for a better angle and put on a Kak super sig tube and the Sig brace and now it is very comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure anyone (besides youtube peeps) recommend actually holding it out whatsoever, 1-pt sling or not.

I've heard the cheek works well, unshouldered. Ideally you want both points of contact though.

I plan to just shoulder it (and a normal cheek weld). I have long arms but I'm used to shooting with a shorter LOP. Make life easier and change over to shooting with a shorter LOP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The LOP of a Sig Brace and KAK tube is about the same as my Vltor stock at position 3.
Which is about ideal when shooting squared up to the target and/or with plates.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The LOP of a Sig Brace and KAK tube is about the same as my Vltor stock at position 3.
Which is about ideal when shooting squared up to the target and/or with plates.
View Quote

It's right at 12", same as a Crickett rifle, only .5" shorter than Ruger American compact, and only 1" shorter than WASR AK.

A more upright pistol grip really does do wonders, switching to the MOE K2 took the uncomfortable tension off wrist and forearm, amazing diff for such a small change.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top