Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2014 12:42:36 PM EDT
Just curious what the general consensus is.  In states where you have the option, are most people still filing for tax stamps or is the SB15 brace good enough (especially when shouldered) where you no longer feel the need to put a traditional stock on and spend the $200 for a stamp?  If its good enough where putting the $200 instead towards a suppressor is an option, I would be thrilled
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I filed form 1 back in January.  Right now it has sig brace on it. It is accurate with the brace. Not sure if I will file for the next one because I like to travel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm waiting on two stamps, but even when I get them, it will be easier to travel with the pistol lower...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a pistol with Sb15 on it.
When the form 1 on it comes in the SB15 goes on another lower
lather rinse repeat
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope X 3
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope. Keeping it as a pistol. No need to deal with the gov paperwork and other bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope. Keeping it as a pistol. No need to deal with the gov paperwork and other bullshit.
View Quote

same here, it just takes it to another level
i can't keep it loaded in my car
i can't take it to a different state
i can't lend it to my friend
i can't swap lowers on it
i'd rather just keep it as a pistol
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I was. Not in a hurry right now due to the awesomeness of the brace.

however, a suppressor is next on the list.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
My $200 went towards a suppressor.  I may sbr when the ATF gets its shit together with eforms... but then i may not ,  sigtac braced pistols work very well
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Not now, even built a pistol for the wife with a brace.  I like it the way they are now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#11]
2 Braces
1 SBR stamp on the way.

Trying not to visit Mr Silencer shop daily.... must stay away... priceless.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope.  I like it just the way it is.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I was going to do a form 1 SBR before I tried the brace. Now I will wait and use the money for a form 1 suppressor for the 300 Blackout. There are benefits to keeping it a pistol vs. SBR if you are in a state that allows concealed carry.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#14]
My thought is you should always have at least one SBR lower. Once you have it.. they can never take it away from you!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My thought is you should always have at least one SBR lower. Once you have it.. they can never take it away from you!
View Quote

At risk of devolving into politics, but isn't the WHOLE POINT of the NFA registry so "they" know where "it" is, so they *CAN* come take it away from you?  Sadly there seems little more "protection" against a new law requiring you to turn in your NFA firearm than in BATFE deciding that bananas are machineguns....

I don't honestly quibble with your point that having a registered SBR gives a set of options which is *DIFFERENT* than the options with a pistol though.

$0.02
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I plan on getting one for my next build. I still need to SBR one for work (6 months down who knows how much longer).
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the brace and no suppressor for me because my state sucks. I put the money towards and AR10. Currently I live in one state and work 8 hrs away in another and my pistol is my travel gun so right now an SBR is not an option.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#19]
No.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#20]
My focus has turned away from SBR'ing my lower and to a suppressor now.

Thank you Sig for fighting the good fight!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was sarcasm, right? ...RIGHT?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Um, registry?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I am waiting on 2 SBR stamps.  These will be the only two I register.  I will use the two Sig braces I have to build two more pistol lowers.  As others have mentioned, there are benefits to having pistol lowers and the brace makes them comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Always wanted an SBR or three, but no way will I register (get a stamp).

Too much BS with a stamp vs my freedom.

The Sig brace looks like puke, but how sweet it is.

Think I'll put one on my HK 416-22 pistol also, instead of selling it.

Just need someone to come up with some sort of "no stamp" suppresor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

There will never be under current law a no stamp suppressor
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He thinks he's not on "the list" yet? Newbs are so cute at that age. Won't be long before he outgrows that stage, I hope.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He thinks he's not on "the list" yet? Newbs are so cute at that age. Won't be long before he outgrows that stage, I hope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I could have suppressors and MGs but my state is stupid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I refuse to pay for something based on the illogical idea that someone believes an SBR is more dangerous than any other gun.  I put an SB-15 on it and got the same result.  I will continue to do this until lawmakers get honest with themselves and come back down to earth.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I refuse to pay for something based on the illogical idea that someone believes an SBR is more dangerous than any other gun.  I put an SB-15 on it and got the same result.  I will continue to do this until lawmakers get honest with themselves and come back down to earth.
View Quote

Good luck they have been out of their minds since the National Firearms act in 1934
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#31]
My $200 goes to SIG for helping me to say F.O to the ATF.... at least where a functional AR shortbarreled weapon is concerened
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#32]
For the guys with the KAK industries tubes... how did you guys tighten them? I had mine spin loose after 100 rounds.

Strap wrench? Blue locktite?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just curious what the general consensus is.  In states where you have the option, are most people still filing for tax stamps or is the SB15 brace good enough (especially when shouldered) where you no longer feel the need to put a traditional stock on and spend the $200 for a stamp?  If its good enough where putting the $200 instead towards a suppressor is an option, I would be thrilled
View Quote

No stamp and will not be getting one. I do carry a copy of the ATF authorization letter in the case, though. I have not and will not put an AFG or even a handstop on the quad rail because the only ATF letter I have been able to find was directed to an individual so only applies to him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For the guys with the KAK industries tubes... how did you guys tighten them? I had mine spin loose after 100 rounds.

Strap wrench? Blue locktite?
View Quote

I torqued it down with a strap wrench.  Have about 250 9mm rounds through...still nice and tight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]

I hear ya willie, but doesn't getting a stamp authorize the ATF to search your home at any time?

School this newb.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I hear ya willie, but doesn't getting a stamp authorize the ATF to search your home at any time?

School this newb.
View Quote

Nope, as far as I know, a FFL is the only thing that requires them to have access to your property.
If they show up and want it I'll toss them a cheap upper and the lower and keep the rest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

School this newb.
View Quote

You give up as much of your 4th Amendment rights when you get an NFA stamp as when you buy a postal stamp.

So no, you don't give the ATF the opportunity to search your house whenever they want without a warrant.

I really hope that the existence of the Sigtac brace drops the demand for SBRs so that wait time drops. However, I have a feeling the brace will eventually come with a free high horse from which guys who own braces get to freely trashtalk SBR owners.

It'll also open a flood of accidental AOWs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You give up as much of your 4th Amendment rights when you get an NFA stamp as when you buy a postal stamp.

So no, you don't give the ATF the opportunity to search your house whenever they want without a warrant.

I really hope that the existence of the Sigtac brace drops the demand for SBRs so that wait time drops. However, I have a feeling the brace will eventually come with a free high horse from which guys who own braces get to freely trashtalk SBR owners.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

School this newb.

I almost did that this afternoon, my 22 has a 7in barrel, I started to put a VFG on it because I measured it with the silencer attached.
Caught myself just in time, if I hadn't need more room to put the rail section on the Troy handguard I would of been illegal.
So I swapped it over to a SBR lower and went to the range.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank you!  Quick web search confirms no loss of 4th amend rights.

And I can take a suppressor across state lines w/o the BS.  Correct?  I often shoot in MI, OH & PA

SBR's will always be cooler than our hokey Sig braces.

I love my new hobby and would hate to lose the right to continue.  

(Our family spends more on training than we do on guns.  Feeding a family of 5 with ammo isn't cheap, even with reloading)

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

School this newb.

That is a bit of a stretch. When you buy a postal stamp you can pop that sucker on anything and give it away without the ole ATF cavity search and $200 fee. You can take whatever you put it on out of state without permission from the ATF.. you dont need permission from your local CLEO or a trust to get around one.

As far as trashtalking and highhorses go.. SBR owners dish out just as much . I dont know why though.   Pistol owners likely want the stability of an SBR but refuse to/ or are not legally allowed to acquire an SBR stamp. SBR guys want the same thing and are willing to pay the price. In the end the goal is the same. A short barrel on a stable platform.

The rules that constitute the creation of an AOW  are no more complicated than the ones governing an SBR just applied to overall length instead of just barrel legnth. If a person is not willing to learn these rules thoroughly the should definitely stick to a 16".
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thank you!  Quick web search confirms no loss of 4th amend rights.

And I can take a suppressor across state lines w/o the BS.  Correct?  I often shoot in MI, OH & PA

SBR's will always be cooler than our hokey Sig braces.

I love my new hobby and would hate to lose the right to continue.  

(Our family spends more on training than we do on guns.  Feeding a family of 5 with ammo isn't cheap, even with reloading)

Thanks guys!
View Quote

Yep , you dont need to file anything to travel with your suppressor... just make sure suppressors are legal where you are headed. i can deal with the rules concerning suppressors... dont like them... just deal with them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, I was. Not in a hurry right now due to the awesomeness of the brace.

however, a suppressor is next on the list.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Still gathering parts and ideas for my pistol build, but SBR's are a no-go in Iowa, so the Sig brace is all I've got.

If SBR's were legal tomorrow, I still wouldn't go that route. The Sig braces I've handled have been good enough that I wouldn't want to dick with registering anything with the ATF. Not to mention that our farm is across the river in Illinois, so ease of travel makes the Sig brace a winner.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

School this newb.

Not exactly you have to produce the SBR upon request, but they don't get to go wondering around your home looking for it, that would still require a warrent like anyone else.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top