Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2014 2:36:28 PM EDT
Anyone run a 12-14" barrel? Just thinking about how I want to go on this build. Will be a dedicated hunting gun for a special deer season. Just wondered if a barrel in that length would be good in a 6x45?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone run a 12-14" barrel? Just thinking about how I want to go on this build. Will be a dedicated hunting gun for a special deer season. Just wondered if a barrel in that length would be good in a 6x45?
View Quote

If you are thinking about a 14", why not just go with a 14.5" pinned? That way you have the stock options and what not..

And for the 12".. why not go with a 11.5"?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Because I'm unsung it in a special handgun season
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree go with a 14.5" pinned. A pistol upper can be any length, as long as it designed to be fired by one hand it is a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I ran a 16" dissy when my lower was set up as a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree go with a 14.5" pinned. A pistol upper can be any length, as long as it designed to be fired by one hand it is a pistol.
View Quote

Yeah, as long as MO doesn't have some law about handgun barrel or overall length max, especially as relates to hunting regs.

For example, TN has a definition in statutes that "handgun" has less than 12" barrel. Not that it's illegal to have one longer than that, and without saying exactly what they'd like to call one with longer barrel than that of course.

Seems it could only possibly figure into the carry permit law here, as you can't carry anything but a "handgun" and we don't have any kind of handgun only hunting season.  Matter of fact, you can go after bear with a .32 mouse gun legally if you want to, go figure.

- OS

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, as long as MO doesn't have some law about handgun barrel or overall length max, especially as relates to hunting regs.

For example, TN has a definition in statutes that "handgun" has less than 12" barrel. Not that it's illegal to have one longer than that, and without saying exactly what they'd like to call one with longer barrel than that of course.

Seems it could only possibly figure into the carry permit law here, as you can't carry anything but a "handgun" and we don't have any kind of handgun only hunting season.  Matter of fact, you can go after bear with a .32 mouse gun legally if you want to, go figure.

- OS

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

And MI, has one about having overall length not to exceed 26" , so in some states barrel length does matter on a State level.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And MI, has one about having overall length not to exceed 26" , so in some states barrel length does matter on a State level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

You (or anyone) know the penalty for violating that up there? Or is it just a definitional thang like here in TN, might just affect use with a carry permit or using for hunting?

- OS
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I run a 12" pistol with a SIGTAC brace.    am currently building another around a 12.5 Noveske Crusader barrel. 11.5 to 12.5 is the sweet spot for ballistics and compactness IMO. Here in Texas they remain a pistol unless I put a vertical grip on them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

... Here in Texas they remain a pistol unless I put a vertical grip on them.
View Quote

Texas has specific state law regarding the VFG, they don't accede to federal regs on stuff like that?

- OS
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Texas has specific state law regarding the VFG, they don't accede to federal regs on stuff like that?

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

No state law regarding the VFG, think Brutus was referring to Fed law.  His pistols are over 26", and become a "firearm" when he puts a VFG on 'em.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No state law regarding the VFG, think Brutus was referring to Fed law.  His pistols are over 26", and become a "firearm" when he puts a VFG on 'em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

He said "unless I put a VFG on them" and both of his mentioned would be well over 26", so that's why I wondered.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He said "unless I put a VFG on them" and both of his mentioned would be well over 26", so that's why I thought that.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

He said "unless I put a VFG on them" and both of his mentioned would be well over 26", so that's why I thought that.

- OS

Texas has no specific laws regarding pistols. Just the fed law stating that if over 26" oal a pistol would change into a firearm if a vert grip was installed and if under 26" the pistol would turn into a AOW and would require a stamp
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Texas has no specific laws regarding pistols. Just the fed law stating that if over 26" oal a pistol would change into a firearm if a vert grip was installed and if under 26" the pistol would turn into a AOW and would require a stamp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

- OS

and any special law regards to "firearm"? legal everywhere?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not that I know of. Its just  ATF voodoo as far as I know
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  and any special law regards to "firearm"? legal everywhere?
View Quote

One type of "firearm" is not legal in Texas - the PG shotgun w/ 26" OAL, but sub-18" bbl.  Our gun laws are simpler than the NFA, so that got left out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't your permit like ours, only covers "handgun"? That could be a possible gotcha, if indeed Texas generally knows the federal difference and wanted to make an issue.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe, but Texas doesn't regulate the carrying of long arms, only pistols.  I've carried a rifle in my backpack on the train, perfectly legal.  We don't have a category in our law for the Federal "firearm" definition.  And it's not ATF voodoo - it's NFA voodoo.  Blame FDR.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:28:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Isn't your permit like ours, only covers "handgun"? That could be a possible gotcha, if indeed Texas generally knows the federal difference and wanted to make an issue.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yep , just pistols. That is one drawback as opposed to an sbr or a bullpup rifle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maybe, but Texas doesn't regulate the carrying of long arms, only pistols.  I've carried a rifle in my backpack on the train, perfectly legal.  We don't have a category in our law for the Federal "firearm" definition.  And it's not ATF voodoo - it's NFA voodoo.  Blame FDR.
View Quote

Ya I know but when I think NFA I think BATF as both are a waste of resources and they come as a set.

I used to carry a loaded AUG in plain sight on the passenger seat of my commuter car, can't do that with a pistol according to local sheriff.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top