User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2014 12:57:27 PM EDT
EDIT:

Let me preface this by informing the readership that I originally purchased a new SIG Pistol Brace and had it mounted on a Phase 5 Pistol tube. It turns out that the Phase 5 tube is manufactured in such a manner that is has a greater circumference than the industry standard. It was this initial mounting of the brace with the Phase 5 tube (also a great product), that was the root of the issue described below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't work!

I had the brace on a Phase 5 tube before this. It turns out, the Phase 5 has larger circumference.

What is the fix?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The fix is to call them up

Its seems like you stretched it out. Not sure how to undo that...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it's simply stretched from being on the previous tube.

I'm using the same KAK castle nut tube and it fit perfectly, quite tight enough to hold well but not ridiculously difficult to get on either.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure what doesn't work. Mine fits like a glove - not too tight, not too loose. However, I used a brand new brace. If you had the brace mounted on a larger diameter tube before, its possible the that sleeve have stretched to a point that now it's loose if you install on a smaller diameter tube.

The fix is to wrap tape around the KAK tube to increase diameter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
heat the stove up to 325 and put the brace minus the straps on a cookie sheet 5 minutes and pull it out , let it cool than you should have a tight fit again
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

heat the stove up to 325 and put the brace minus the straps on a cookie sheet 5 minutes and pull it out , let it cool than you should have a tight fit again
View Quote

I'm going to try this. Would it work by placing it in the oven already mounted to the KAK? I figure the aluminum and rubber will behave differently when heated and if the rubber does contract, I'd like for it to happen over the tube.  

I still can't believe the Phase 5 is so much larger.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I honestly would do 200-250 first before going to 325. Seems a bit high for something you dont know how hot it can get.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I would try a good hair dryer before the oven, but if I were to use an oven it wouldn't be over 225...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
ACE HEAT GUN.....(like a commercial strength blow dryer).

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Let us know the outcome.. I've taken an SB15 but haven't tried it on anything else yet!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
180 deg F will do it, 30 minutes.  It'll melt at 400 deg F.

Not on the KAK tube.  Let it cool for 4-5 hours before trying to put it onto the tube.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess it's simply stretched from being on the previous tube.

I'm using the same KAK castle nut tube and it fit perfectly, quite tight enough to hold well but not ridiculously difficult to get on either.

- OS
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a buffer tube that is like the KAK and is sized for the SB15 with a slightly smaller diameter tube.  Once you have heated the brace and returned the diameter of the buffer hole in the brace you should have a snug fit on the tube.  The brace may still move some on the tube.  I used a small amount of super glue to hold the brace in position.  I put the glue near the front end of the tube about 1" back from the front position of the brace .  The super glue set up QUICKLY.  I first positioned the brace on the tube where I wanted it and then I used masking tape on both the front end of the brace and the buffer tube just in front of the brace.  With the brace in position, I drew a line across both pieces of tape to mark the position.  I slid the brace back and put the super glue in place.  In one motion, I pushed the brace back on the tube lining up the line marks.  The brace is solid and doesn't move.

Nail polish remover (acetone) can be used to remove the brace if you need to (like if the brace didn't go on on straight the first time before the marks were used!!).  It may take awhile but it works.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Electrical tape is your friend here. The Phase 5 tube will indeed stretch your sb15 brace out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
As well as the oven, I have heard you can boil your brace too.  I have not done either so that's all I got.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd try a heat gun first since you'll be able to target a specific area.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Stuck my wife's $200 Chi hair dyer on it for 30 minutes. That thing has to be as good as a heat gun. Letting it cool down now. I have a bad feeling about this. If it doesn't work out, I'll put the brace back on the Phase 5, sell it on EE (it is perfectly fine BTW), and order another Sig Brace. I knew that KAK was too good to be true. All the good pistol tube makers, do larger circumference tubes, EXCEPT the one company that make the awesome "brace stop".

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As well as the oven, I have heard you can boil your brace too.  I have not done either so that's all I got.
View Quote
Link to boil story?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Not sure as to where the boil story was.  I read it as a comment in an older thread while I was lurking(i.e. before I was a member).  The post didn't state much info on it, just more or less that it had been done.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Stuck my wife's $200 Chi hair dyer on it for 30 minutes. That thing has to be as good as a heat gun. Letting it cool down now. I have a bad feeling about this. If it doesn't work out, I'll put the brace back on the Phase 5, sell it on EE (it is perfectly fine BTW), and order another Sig Brace. I knew that KAK was too good to be true. All the good pistol tube makers, do larger circumference tubes, EXCEPT the one company that make the awesome "brace stop".  
View Quote

You measure the temp coming out of the hair dryer?  The heat gun I got is rated at 200 °F-1050 °F.  I'm thinking that the hair dryer might measure in the low 100s.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You measure the temp coming out of the hair dryer?  The heat gun I got is rated at 200 °F-1050 °F.  I'm thinking that the hair dryer might measure in the low 100s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear you but any hotter and it would have melted the rubber. I was aiming through the tube and had the end partially blocked. It got WAY hot. What good is the ability to got to 1050°F is the rubber gets damaged at the high end of what I am currently using?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hear you but any hotter and it would have melted the rubber. I was aiming through the tube and had the end partially blocked. It got WAY hot. What good is the ability to got to 1050°F is the rubber gets damaged at the high end of what I am currently using?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying the hair dryer might not get the rubber to a high enough temp for contraction...not saying to crank it to 1050°F but enough to contract the rubber...not sure what that temp is...maybe your hair dryer will meet that temp...if not then the heat gun will.  Or, maybe the material used in the Sig brace will expand, not contract with heat......
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just saying the hair dryer might not get the rubber to a high enough temp for contraction...not saying to crank it to 1050°F but enough to contract the rubber...not sure what that temp is...maybe your hair dryer will meet that temp...if not then the heat gun will.  Or, maybe the material used in the Sig brace will expand, not contract with heat......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may be right... My little experiment did nothing. Alright, boiling.... how long?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Kurk,

If you are reading this, send me a message with your email address in it. I tried the one you messaged me but it bounced.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The KAK tube works fine on an un-stretched Brace. It doesnt fit as tight as in a Phase 5 or a GUNTEC tube.. but the KAK tube gives a much better LOP. Mount the brace ( an un-stretched-out brace) on  tube with Hairspray or superglue... it will be a solid  fit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The KAK tube works fine on an un-stretched Brace. It doesnt fit as tight as in a Phase 5 or a GUNTEC tube.. but the KAK tube gives a much better LOP. Mount the brace ( an un-stretched-out brace) on  tube with Hairspray or superglue... it will be a solid  fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to state the obvious, but don't you think I know this already? I have pistol tubes by 4 or 5 other manufacturers and they all are about the same circumference. The KAK is a lot skinnier. I like how a new Sig Brace fits on a Phase 5, I can't imagine the fit being very tight using a new Sig Brace and a KAK.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Its been boiling for 7 minutes. Somebody tell me when to stop!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

but seriously, I'd say go around 10 minutes and then see how it fits, can always boil more, hard to boil less...

"Torque bolt until it breaks, then back off 1/4 turn"
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#29]
17 minutes and sitting on my desk cooling right now. I'll report back once i attempt to re-fit it onto the KAK.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
17 minutes. sitting on my desk cooling right now. I'll report back once i attempt to re-fit it onto the KAK.
View Quote

Standing by :)  Actually have you considered letting it cool ON the KAK?

The fit on my PWS tube is a little loose for my liking, so I was pondering ways to improve it - I'll be interested to see if this actually works :)  I also considered the electrical tape idea - which seems a little kludgy (admittedly probably very effective), and started wondering if that clearbra/paint protective film/whatever stuff that goes on cars and headlights...  Seems like a layer of that wrapped around the tube would add just enough thickness without the overlap of the electrical tape.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not to state the obvious, but don't you think I know this already? I have pistol tubes by 4 or 5 other manufacturers and they all are about the same circumference. The KAK is a lot skinnier. I like how a new Sig Brace fits on a Phase 5, I can't imagine the fit being very tight using a new Sig Brace and a KAK.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a pistol  I installed on a Guntec tube on,  I put a sigbrace on it and it is ruined for all other tubes. I tried to put it on a kak tube and it was a nogo. I bought a new brace and it worked fine ...plus it was much easier to mount.... and it stayed put. That's all I am saying,  a new brace mounts well on a KAK sigtac tube.

The fact that your altered brace won't mount on a kak tube doesn't make the kak tube defective anymore than a KAC E3 bolt is defective for not working well with conventional chamber
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The fit on my PWS tube is a little loose for my liking, so I was pondering ways to improve it - I'll be interested to see if this actually works :)  I also considered the electrical tape idea - which seems a little kludgy (admittedly probably very effective), and started wondering if that clearbra/paint protective film/whatever stuff that goes on cars and headlights...  Seems like a layer of that wrapped around the tube would add just enough thickness without the overlap of the electrical tape.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

17 minutes. sitting on my desk cooling right now. I'll report back once i attempt to re-fit it onto the KAK.

I thought about it but if it is indeed contracting, I want it to ultimately be smaller than the pistol tube buffer. If this does not work, I am either:

A. Going to sell it mounted on the Phase 5 and purchase a new Sig brace. (Nothing wrong with that combo and the phase 5 also uses the standard end plate and castle nut so somebody will be getting a good deal).

or...

B. Slather a layer of industrial strength driveway or roof caulk on the tube, push it through, wipe the excess off the end, wait 24 hours and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I have a pistol  I installed on a Guntec tube on,  I put a sigbrace on it and it is ruined for all other tubes. I tried to put it on a kak tube and it was a nogo. I bought a new brace and it worked fine ...plus it was much easier to mount.... and it stayed put. That's all I am saying,  a new brace mounts well on a KAK sigtac tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got you... I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just frustrated with my lack of progress. If I were designing a tube for a Sig Brace I would build it on the fat side. I wonder why KAK decided to go a different route.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got you... I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just frustrated with my lack of progress. If I were designing a tube for a Sig Brace I would build it on the fat side. I wonder why KAK decided to go a different route.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries I wasn't trying to be rude either. I actually was a bit annoyed that I had to buy a new brace also... for a bit I wrapped my kak tube in heavy duty duct tape and mounted my stretched out brace on it... it actually worked real well

I eventually got a new brace... fixing your gun with duct tape is a slippery slope ...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#35]
So the brace is cool to the touch. I test fit it and it has shrunk enough to where it fully makes contact with the tube. Not as tight as with the Phase 5 but it doesn't just fall off anymore either. I dug around the garage and I'm thinking that this would be a good candidate.

The only other thing that I have on hand is spray rubberized undercoating.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe try and boil it a couple more times to see if it shrinks back any smaller, just to make sure.  But otherwise I'm glad you somewhat got it sorted out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll check on it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully this holds. I can't shoot it anyways until the can gets here (should be any time now) but I wanted to have all of my ducks in a row for that magical, "I'm not going to work" day!

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Looking good.  I was just thinking though, maybe next time drop it in the deep fryer for better results.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Looking good.  I was just thinking though, maybe next time drop it in the deep fryer for better results.  
View Quote
I was about to microwave it, but then I thought about the time my son and I put a ping pong ball in the microwave to see what would happen.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#40]
looking better
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Wouldn't some large diameter heat shrink tubing on the tube have worked - like the kind you get at electrical supply houses?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was about to microwave it, but then I thought about the time my son and I put a ping pong ball in the microwave to see what would happen.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
What happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What happened?

Ping pong balloon....  For a bit. Then ping pong ball guts everywhere. I got shut out of the master bedroom for a few days on that one.

Re: heat shrink tubing , I don't think it would work. There's no way you'd get the brace on over something like that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#44]
What about good-ol friction tape?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What about good-ol friction tape?
View Quote
Depends on where you live and what kind of adhesive is used for the sticky side of the friction tape. I know that in the heart of the Summer in South GA, if you had tape over your pistol tube with a Sig brace over that and kept your pistol in your car, you would have a slimy hot mozzarella cheese looking mess the minute any moderate torque got applied to the brace.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh boy im afraid to scroll down!
Haha well.. it is just rubber!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#47]
SICK DDLES lower build! I need to get my DDLES lower going into a pro build like that.
When did you get your lower?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I knew that KAK was too good to be true. All the good pistol tube makers, do larger circumference tubes, EXCEPT the one company that make the awesome "brace stop".  

I wonder why KAK decided to go a different route.

I can tell you this, Kurt, the owner of KAK, works closely with sig, sells a ton of there products, He built this brace specifically for the sig brace. all of his tubes are designed around the inner diameter of the brace. I have one of each of his tubes and they all fit perfect, no movement at all. We (Kurt and some other friends) all shot this weekend in a informal friends idpa style blackout shoot and at least 6 of guns were equipped with the brace and gen 2 tube. no problems, no movement, no adjusting, Burned up probably 1500 rounds of 5.56, .300blk, 7.62 x 39 all in pistol form with and without cans. Zero trouble. If someone is building a pistol specifically to be equipped with a sig brace, KAK is the way to go. I'm not aware (at this time) of anyone else who builds tubes for the brace other than sig.  just my .02.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you are reasonably sure you want to keep the brace on the KAK for awhile......check out any you tube vid on how to install a golf grip 1/32 over size

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#50]
This issue has been resolved. I sold the other Sig Brace mounted to the Phase 5 pistol tube.  A brand new Sig Brace arrived in the mail today and all I did was put some hair spray on the KAK tube, mount the new brace and align. The whole setup is drying now.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top