Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2014 10:03:51 AM EDT
Having owned and put together many AR rifles I never have done a pistol. So I have 4 consecutive serial number Spikes lowers. I got the tablet and CMMG parts kits, lowers and my six old and built IP the lowers. They are virgin. I put the pistol tubes from joebobsoutfitters I think they are spikes or Rock River with Spikes T2 buffers. Now I have two KX3 and couple spare bird cages, vortex, etc.

I have planned on buying the PSA 10.5 when I catch them on sale and I am ready. I can chop the front sites later and add rails, I can add gas blocks if needed. I will run back up irons, with TLR-1HL in front of front site once I get affordable rails picked out. I will run Primary Arms red dot on two of them or maybe Eotech on one I choose for HD, might try a cheap 1-4 on one as well.

I plan on Sig braces for all as money allows. So am I headed in the right direction? Any advise? Parts I am fucking up using. One will be used for HD one for a truck gun and the others for my 6 year old future collection.

Thanks for the help, bashing or whatever.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
10.5" PSA Upper Easter Sale

linkage
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]

In before the question.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Looks good to me although I am more of a 7-7.5" barrel pistol fan.

I'm running a T2 with a BTE adjustable gas block (very affordable) and I've never had a failure, also very little recoil.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I have planned on picking up a 7.5 for range fun later.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I have planned on picking up a 7.5 for range fun later.
View Quote

Midway occasionally has cheap 7" Ar Stoner barrels in stock for about $110.

PSA blem upper $50
BTE gas block $50
Stoner Barrel $110
PSA BCG $100
gas tube $10
PSA parts $25
Linear MB  $30

=$375 (+whatever rail you choose) and a lot of fun
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

linkage
View Quote

Is it true that they are bad about fufilling order in a timely manner, or was that something that happened during the last buying panic?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I ordered one last month and it was at my door in 11 business days.  It isn't overnight, but given that they assemble after the order, I think that they have vastly improved the order fulfillment times.  The slowest I've had from them this year was 14 business days for blem lowers...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ordered one last month and it was at my door in 11 business days.  It isn't overnight, but given that they assemble after the order, I think that they have vastly improved the order fulfillment times.  The slowest I've had from them this year was 14 business days for blem lowers...
View Quote

It's really hit or miss.  I ordered on black friday and had my order in about 5 days.  I've also ordered during normal times and it has taken up to 3 weeks.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

linkage
View Quote

Thanks scored two. But I lost my flaming pig by trading it off for other stuff. So now it's muzzle device hunt time. The Pig is great but pricey. Is the KAK flash can doing okay?  I have read almost every thread and opinions are so varied.  Affordable and works to direct blast and flash forward is what I want and if it happens to effect dwell time, etc well is that better? Worth it?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks scored two. But I lost my flaming pig by trading it off for other stuff. So now it's muzzle device hunt time. The Pig is great but pricey. Is the KAK flash can doing okay?  I have read almost every thread and opinions are so varied.  Affordable and works to direct blast and flash forward is what I want and if it happens to effect dwell time, etc well is that better? Worth it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

linkage

If you want affordable look at some of the linear compensators like Kaw Valley...

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen vids of YHM brakes all but completely eliminate flash on 9.5" barrels.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Just put together an almost identical pistol. Ordered that 10 1/2 upper from palmetto,just got it last week. Wow is all I can say. Very Very little muzzle flash at all,even observing from the side. May be the FN barrel. I have fired it about 20 times,runs perfect. Used the phase 5 buffer tube assembly. Was heartbroken-went to get sig brace for it today,store that has them closed. I plan on putting red dot on it. Built it for HD. Pistol is WAY lighter,and handles perfect. I put a removable carry handle from another carbine on it-I have a hard time believing how accurate it is,just with a cheekweld on the  buffer tube. I always thought that the ar pistols were a gimmick,but once you handle,and fire one,they are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a plan you got there.   Good on picking up the 10.5" uppers.  I could never catch them when I had the money so ended up getting a 11.5" Spikes from a local guy--cost me more but I got it.

As to your question on a KAK can, I have one on my 7.5" upper and it works great, and a lot cheaper than the KX3--not much difference that I could tell.  I am leaving it on there even though that upper is being built into a pistol for the wife's birthday.

As to the Sig SB 15 brace--get it.  Love it, makes shooting so much better.   Always liked the shorter AR's and what is there not to like about a braced pistol
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Will look for deals on the KAK flash cans. So far so good. Anybody cut the FSB off one of these yet?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I have cut the FSB off of most of my builds I prefer a pinned gas system over one with a set screw
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Last night after dark I tried the KAK std Flash can, extended A1, and a Bushmaster 4.5" CAR15 Moderator replica flash hider..all on my 10.5". Besides doing what its supposed to do regarding pushing the blast away from the shooter, it also performed measurably better in the flash suppression dept. No large flash ball (unlike the others), just being more like several random swirly fire fly sparks. The other 2 made bright grapefruit fire balls PLUS an outward traveling halo-ish bright flash going outward from there. Made a beleiver out of me. Plus its light alum. I think its around 3> oz. Mine was $29.95 from Joebob
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#17]
sounds like a winning combo to me.  I'm headingmuch the same direction with a 10.5 psa upper.  To answer a few questions:

Psa shipping speed is anywhere from o.k to dismal. 5d-3+wks for me.  I've continued to buy from them b'c I don't actually NEED anything right now

I read plenty of threads about cutting the front site block and found a how to in the archives here, seemed logical as I'm thinking FF handguars in the future.  I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to buy a bunch of parts just to take off and let sit.  From my reading the consensus is that as long as your careful it's not hard to do and works just fine.

All my reading and the KAK website suggest that there is no change in backpressure/dwell time using their flash can.  Few report problems with the PSA system (carbine gas at 10.5 barrel) but it can be an issue.  I'm not sure which direction I'll jump but I know it wont be noveske, just too much $ with so many other options available.  I'll leave mine alone till i put enough rounds down range to know just how loud it really is.  There was a recent thread about linear comps that good

Here's mine with a drop in rail I piked up for cheap. Cobra tactcal systems for ~$25, not sure if they still have em (no affiliation)

link not working, will try and update later

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Alright I think I will buy a couple KAK flash cans. I have been reading the rail threads. I need a good budget friendly rail. I want the rail over KAK look. Can cut front site. $150 would be a good price . Any help?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Chopping FSB and using this rail Mas 12" rail on a 10.5 PSA builds, will it work or has anyone used this rail?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
You'll have a little more than an inch of KAK hanging out the front, if that MAS rail is exactly 12".
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top