User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good point OhShoot.  Like the A2 buttstock, etc.  

So the ATF will have a strong case to justify ruling against this QD endplate because it creates a rigid surface like a stock extending down from the buffer tube cover, to mimic a stationary stock.

Different case from the Sig brace ruling, where that accessory aids in using the pistol with one hand (per pistol definition) but just so happens to have other uses too (firing from shoulder).

Attaching an extending QD mound on the Thordsen just doesn't aid in using the gun as a pistol in a similar way by any part of the definition.  Attaching a sling to a pistol just doesn't seem compelling enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing has to be "moveable" to be considered a stock.

- OS

Good point OhShoot.  Like the A2 buttstock, etc.  

So the ATF will have a strong case to justify ruling against this QD endplate because it creates a rigid surface like a stock extending down from the buffer tube cover, to mimic a stationary stock.

Different case from the Sig brace ruling, where that accessory aids in using the pistol with one hand (per pistol definition) but just so happens to have other uses too (firing from shoulder).

Attaching an extending QD mound on the Thordsen just doesn't aid in using the gun as a pistol in a similar way by any part of the definition.  Attaching a sling to a pistol just doesn't seem compelling enough.

They said It's purpose is not a stock.  This one's purpose is not a stock.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
so WTF OP, did you get a respons yet?
View Quote

If and when I do receive a letter from the tech branch, I will post an update in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The supreme court ruled the NFA act constitutional in the 1930's?  Is that when they added in the bit about not being able to add a buttstock or was that after 1986?  Anyway is outta date and needs to b ammended.  How come the NRA can't comprehensibly demonstrate to the right judges or politicians or whoever how absolutely retarded it is to charge people $200 and make them wait a year to add something to a firearm that can only make it safer?  How can anyone justify prosecuting an otherwise law abiding citizen for making a legal firearm safer?  Especially when the BATF at this time In history has committed far more reprehensible actions regarding firearms than any law abiding citizen who simply wants to add a buttstock for a better, safer, sainer shot ever will.  Again any cop, politician, judge whoever that would burn a single taxpayer dollar prosecuting a law abiding gun owner for putting g a buttstock should b shamed into retirement.  If I had to guess, whenever the supreme court made that ruling, my guess is they didn't realize the portion. A out legal or illegal buttstocks was not on there radar and I bet if the right people were Informed and saw the potential embarrassment of this kind don't of "law" being enforced might be willing to take another look.  Even people who hate guns will agree that if guns are going g to b available to citizens then any resonance safety measures that can b employed should.  Our laws and our Constitution were meant to be ammended to keep up with the Changing technologies and it's impact on society.  I think it's time to stop Fucking around with sig braces Qd sling plates and ask ourselves what kind don't of ass hole would prosecute an otherwise law abiding citizen for putting a buttstock on a gun and get this law changed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The supreme court ruled the NFA act constitutional in the 1930's?  Is that when they added in the bit about not being able to add a buttstock or was that after 1986?  Anyway is outta date and needs to b ammended.  How come the NRA can't comprehensibly demonstrate to the right judges or politicians or whoever how absolutely retarded it is to charge people $200 and make them wait a year to add something to a firearm that can only make it safer?  How can anyone justify prosecuting an otherwise law abiding citizen for making a legal firearm safer?  Especially when the BATF at this time In history has committed far more reprehensible actions regarding firearms than any law abiding citizen who simply wants to add a buttstock for a better, safer, sainer shot ever will.  Again any cop, politician, judge whoever that would burn a single taxpayer dollar prosecuting a law abiding gun owner for putting g a buttstock should b shamed into retirement.  If I had to guess, whenever the supreme court made that ruling, my guess is they didn't realize the portion. A out legal or illegal buttstocks was not on there radar and I bet if the right people were Informed and saw the potential embarrassment of this kind don't of "law" being enforced might be willing to take another look.  Even people who hate guns will agree that if guns are going g to b available to citizens then any resonance safety measures that can b employed should.  Our laws and our Constitution were meant to be ammended to keep up with the Changing technologies and it's impact on society.  I think it's time to stop Fucking around with sig braces Qd sling plates and ask ourselves what kind don't of ass hole would prosecute an otherwise law abiding citizen for putting a buttstock on a gun and get this law changed.
View Quote

Yes.
1930's.
Because political change is difficult, and not enough gun owners are willing to make the effort to demand the law be changed.
Because all gun control is designed to disarm the citizenry, no matter how it's worded.

ETA:  BTW, welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
From a devils advocate point of view, disarming the populace almost seems more logical than giving the people guns, but not allowing them to shoot safely which seems infinitely more idiotic.  So the NFA was deemed constitutional almost a fucking century ago.  The atf has all the time in the world to sell assault weapons to drug cartels yet can't get a background check done In any reasonable amount of time, let alone rewrite regulations to fit a 21st century world.  Buttstocks and barrel length restrictions, and silencer restrictions too for that matter, are all based on some Marijuana madness type Hollywood bullshit myth about AL Capone murdering innocent women and children with a full auto tommygun with a chopped barrel and a silencer and dealing out death like a silent ninja.  Those people wrote laws based on myths 80 years ago and now they need to b rewritten logically, for our time and place by people who understand the facts involved and hav the best interest of the people in mind.  If I'm not mistaken, as long as I pay off the right agency first, I can have an m-60 converted to semi-auto, chop the barrel, lose the buttstock, register it as a pistol so I can open carry it on my hip and shoot the fucker one handed, but i can't simply just put a buttstock on a pistol, cause it might make it harder to conceal and give me a steady shot?  Wtf is that?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey man, thanks for the welcome, and actually, yeah, I have a bunch of Legos, I've got one of those old denim bags with the red drawstrings full of 1970's Era legos.  Why do you ask?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah, one more thing, I hope u all don't think I am hijacking this thread, but i think it is relevant.  As much as I hate to use the tragedy of Fast and Furious to push an agenda, if ever there were a time to pressure the atf into reform, it's now.  The people at the atf hav more to prove right now then ever and they might as well start by reforming their definitions of legal or illegal firearms and streamlining the process for tax stamps to include reasonable, non-income discriminatory fees as well as reasonable wait times, at the very least, in the interest of safe gun ownership and use.  Short barrels and buttstocks offer no distinct advantage to committing a crime, but do offer substantial advantages to safe firearms handling, basically, like I said bfore, the atf does want us to hit what we r shooting at right?  Like if a crook wants a buttstock or a short barrel r they really gonna apply for a tax stamp anyway.  What pisses me off, is these things aren't illegal, unless u fail to pay a tax first and bend over for the atf, like I can have a full auto silenced, belt fed machine gun if I pay first.  That's a protection racket.  I can take that to a point, but no buttstocks, really, unless I pay?  It's seriously akin saying I can own a gun, but i can't have iron sights unless I pay first and wait a year.  How can people who make laws like this, ok they r all dead, so how can people who enforce laws like this justify it?  It's their job to understand this better than some old burnout like me,.but unfortunately the opposite is true.  If the NFA isn't unconstitutional tyranny by government over it own people than I dont know what is.  And a quick note about silencers, ( yes i called it a silencer, because that's what it is, just like there's no ham in a hamburger, it is what it is) if someone breaks into my home, and I have to defend my wife and 8 month old daughter, I'm gonna be pretty upset with the atf regarding there regulations of silencers, because I can't afford it and I cant afford to wait,  but if I have to open up on a bad guy and my wife or baby suffer hearing damage I'm gonna be livid, because I spent $500 for a glock and a little more for some ammo, if a 9mm silencer was @ $250 out the door with no wait time, I'd be into one, but at $500 and up (if they were legal they'd be expensive for the first few years but then would plummet in price after demand leveled off and production reached full steam) plus a $200 tax stamp and another $100 to form a trust and then a wait time of a year more, it just simply isn't reasonable.  If the DOT were in charge of firearms we'd all b required to have silencer when discharging a weapon anywhere within earshot of civilization.  If the ATF were in charge of transportation, I'd have to pay $200 and wait a year bfore wearing a helmet on my motorcycle,  because u never know, someone might use that helmet to obscure their identity while committing a crime and than might use it like a weapon to headbutt someone in the face before making a getaway.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Pfft.  I've been making some damn good arguments but nobody bid me welcome to Arfcom

Aaaanyway.

Screw the Thordsen buffer tube cover + QD socket.  I just received my Sig brace today directly from Sig Sauer (I got in on the free bag offer), and the back it feels just as rigid against my shoulder as my bonafide Magpul SRS rifle stock.  The difference is, the Sig brace can cleverly be justified as a pistol accessory whilst serving as a bloody good stock in disguise.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Any word from the ATF?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
"I hate waiting"
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any word from the ATF?
View Quote

They are stumped.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are stumped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any word from the ATF?

They are stumped.

Apparently, no word from eXile's "build with intent to fire from shoulder" inquiry either,  apparently, and I believe it predates this one.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Still waiting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats OP, you have sucessfully divided by 0.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Apparently, no word from eXile's "build with intent to fire from shoulder" inquiry either,  apparently, and I believe it predates this one.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any word from the ATF?

They are stumped.

- OS
Your correct, no word yet.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Jeez if the ATF takes this long to have a look see maybe the NFA ought to be dropped amirite?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any word from the ATF?

They are stumped.

- OS

Link.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I JUST received a response to a submission I made 11 months ago. You guys might be waiting a bit more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any word from the ATF?

They are stumped.

- OS

Link.

Can't find right off with limited search of my status, iNeXile556 is the submitter.

Big hooha about it in several threads, someone else can probably dig them up.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone know who makes that cheek piece in the OP, it isnt sold by the manufacturer of the buffer tube cover.
View Quote

that's the caa cheekrest. it comes in the thordsen kit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I JUST received a response to a submission I made 11 months ago. You guys might be waiting a bit more.
View Quote

Great. Well, at least there's the possibility that they didn't "misplace" my letter.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Out of curiosity, what was the approximate cost of all the parts you used for your project?  (Referring specifically to everything attached to the lower receiver extension.)
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think the Tech Branch response would be along the same lines of the most recent letter regarding the sig brace and the legality of improper use. A QD connector is not a stock. When installed in such a position, yes, you might at first glance think the pistol has a "stock" in place, but you'll realize it's not. It's simply a cheek weld and a QD connector. Likewise, the profile of the Sig Brace might look like a "stock" but it's not a stock, plain and simple. Laws are most effective when they are black and white. And when there is any grey area, or confusion, it's official advisory opinions, or formal judicial decisions that clarify the grey back into black and white.

Furthermore, because of the orientation of the QD socket, towards the rear, you'll realize that when a QD sling is attached, that it interferes with the area on the rear of the socket and buffer tube that someone might argue could be used as a "stock". Well, it's obviously not useful as a stock with a sling attached, and that is the obvious purpose of the attachment point. Should you remove the sling from the QD socket and happen to use it in a fashion other than intended, it really doesn't change the fact that no "stock" is installed on the device.

Another way to look at this:  What if you installed a QD socket on the front rail at 9 oclock, and chose to misuse it in a fashion like a vertical foregrip. Does the QD socket become a vertical grip? No, it's just a QD attachment point being misused. This would not make the firearm subject to NFA control.

One last thing:  Please stop pestering the Tech Branch with letters upon letters upon letters. These people probably have plenty other things to do, and we don't need to ask them if painting a sig brace purple would alter it's classification just because you're butt hurt over an internet post.

Example of stupidity and what not to do:  "Duh, Mr. NFA-Guy what if I hand carved a shoulder STOCK out of balsa wood and superglued it to the back of my Sig Brace with the sole INTENT to only ever SHOULDER FIRE this newly constructed SHORT BARREL RIFLE that I will fire always with TWO HANDS, never one, would this still be a legal pistol or did I just have sexual relations with your mother?"

The Tech Branch is not Dear Abby, and they have more important things to deal with than breaking up an argument at your basement Call of Duty marathon Lan-party.
View Quote

Hahahah cod LAN party
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Delete
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#25]
ATF LETTER IS IN!

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Outstanding!  Don't forget to update the OP.  Just downloaded the wrong letter.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ATF LETTER IS IN!
Scanning it now...standby.
View Quote

This is now a tag.

ETA: Looks like its a no-go

This opinion seems somewhat contrary to those issued for the Sig brace.  There they said that since the brace wasn't designed to be shouldered, its ok.  Here it is stated that the purpose would be to act as a sling point, not to be shouldered, but they say that since it seems capable of being shouldered due to its size and shape, its "problematic".  The Sig brace is certainly capable of being shouldered too even though that's not it's intent.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]
First post has been updated. Letters are up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#29]
My only response is fucking Govt....
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#30]
I wonder what they meant when they said "substantial vertical flat surface". Is there an actual measurement (i.e. 3 inches of flat surface)? Sounds arbitrary.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I wonder what they meant when they said "substantial vertical flat surface". Is there an actual measurement (i.e. 3 inches of flat surface)? Sounds arbitrary.
View Quote

SUBSTANTIAL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  First post has been updated. Letters are up.
View Quote

Thanks for the attempt.  Not surprised.  The government agents we pay to interpret the fucked up but held Constitutional NFA came to a rational decision - it functions as a stock, and wasn't sponsored by the VA for unassailable disabled Vets.  Fuck FDR.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:59:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Problematic.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks for the attempt.  Not surprised.  The government agents we pay to interpret the fucked up but held Constitutional NFA came to a rational decision - it functions as a stock, and wasn't sponsored by the VA for unassailable disabled Vets.  Fuck FDR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  First post has been updated. Letters are up.

Nailed it.

I think the Brace got by the ATF and they are embarrassed by it now.

The same thing happened with parts kit building of rifles.
The ATF came up with a ridiculous ruling on the parts count of the FAL, just to spite builders after finding out how easy it was to build so many other guns. Especially, the AK47.

This ruling really is no different.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#35]
OP, thanks for taking the initiative to try this and posting the results.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Duh.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sorry but this letter from them is absurd.

Following the logic of their own words, a persons intent could be construed as the determining factor regarding the legality of ANYTHING firearms related.

Example: A bipod on a pistol.  If someone intended to use it as an make shift vfg, club fed.

Sig Brace, if someone intended on shouldering it, club fed.

Extension piece to modify the lop in conjunction with Sig brace, club fed.

See where this is going?  It seems to me they are setting the stage to have cause to prosecute people for installing and using items that they have already approved for use.  This also directly contradicts their earlier statement that the misuse of a legally installed product does not change the status or definition of what that product is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#38]
For those that remember my earlier posts about intent to fire from the shoulder, I don't seem to far off now do I?

'Nuff said.

I will post my letter when I get a response.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For those that remember my earlier posts about intent to fire from the shoulder, I don't seem to far off now do I?

'Nuff said.

View Quote

Troll much?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP, thanks for taking the initiative to try this and posting the results.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

'Nuff said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

'Nuff said.

Didn't you send your letter off in February?
Was this the reply?

Dear iNeXille556,

This refers to the letter which you sent to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), Firearms Technology Branch (FTB).

We thank you for your inquiry and trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your request.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Folks, we're in Tech, not GD.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Let's leave the name calling out of the thread please.

I'm still amazed out how many people go out of their way to get the .gov to try outlaw things.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't mean to hijack this thread by turning it into a political discussion, but I believe this is germane to the problem. This is not over with people. That answer letter was not a final determination. The wording used in the letter is not a responsive answer to the question asked. It is merely legaleese. A verbal escape from a yes or no answer.  The words "may" and "problematic" is unresponsive. A responsive answer would be a yes or no. Do we even know if the NFA laws were even ratified? Is there an enacting clause? If so, why are oppressive laws from the prohibition era still being enforced, Alcohol is legal to drink now, and the only reason the ATF was formed was to take on their competition...The mob and hillbillies making moonshine. The NFA laws were made to create crimes in order to get mobsters convicted for other things besides just making alcohol and selling it which also is a victim-less "crime".  So should these ancient laws still be enforced? i belive these old laws should have died along with the prohibition era and its laws and I also believe the enforcement hand of those laws should have died along with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#47]
you don't understand how many bureaucrats depend on micromanaging our freedoms to create their living do you? That's the problem, every state rep, senator, congressman and president is an attorney first, their allegiance is to the BAR association, not to this country and they make their lives off of the backs of those who actually produce and contribute to society. They depend on defining what freedoms you have and how you may enjoy them, that is their job, that and sending policy enforcers after you if you undermine their parasitic existence and their "authority" which is self ordained. The good attorneys and police are "discouraged" or ran out for being legit. I feel bad for the good cops out there who struggle with needing an income and doing what is right for the people. I guess its true what they say...The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Whether or not we agree with it, the nfa has been around for almost 100 years at this point and more than 30 since it's last revision.  If you think we'll get enough support to overturn it, you need to stop smoking crack.  A lot of politicians are trying to ban SEMI AUTO weapons.   Do you really think they or non-gun enthusiasts are going to support select fire, destructive devices and the like?!?

OP - nice try, I give you credit for your ingenuity
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#49]
yeah and the 10th amendment has been around way before the NFA. All the states who support gun rights should encourage their local sheriffs to help the people of their counties to repeal the NFA and then allow their deputies to arrest and imprison any fed who comes in to try to enforce their federal laws. And no i'm not smoking crack, here in Missouri the NFA and most all other federal gun laws were almost repealed by the majority of its inhabitants, it just takes a will of the people to actually do something, the 2nd amendment preservation/restoration act almost passed and only lost by one or two votes. Most people are for the increase of personal liberties not the decrease of them, it just takes the people to get it to a vote. If the feds don't like it they can instigate a civil war, like they did last time. I don't smoke pot, but I was glad to see some of the states use their 10th amendment rights to get it legalized in their states. That is an increase of personal choice and a free society, not micromanaging liberty. The problem is most people cherish getting drunk or high more than actual liberties like having guns and having them be un-restricted.-Case in point....The State of California and the begrudging magazine capacity ban in Colorado- both states have their priorities backwards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  I don't mean to hijack this thread by turning it into a political discussion, but I believe this is germane to the problem. This is not over with people. That answer letter was not a final determination. The wording used in the letter is not a responsive answer to the question asked. It is merely legaleese. A verbal escape from a yes or no answer.  The words "may" and "problematic" is unresponsive. A responsive answer would be a yes or no. Do we even know if the NFA laws were even ratified? Is there an enacting clause? If so, why are oppressive laws from the prohibition era still being enforced, Alcohol is legal to drink now, and the only reason the ATF was formed was to take on their competition...The mob and hillbillies making moonshine. The NFA laws were made to create crimes in order to get mobsters convicted for other things besides just making alcohol and selling it which also is a victim-less "crime".  So should these ancient laws still be enforced? i belive these old laws should have died along with the prohibition era and its laws and I also believe the enforcement hand of those laws should have died along with it.
View Quote

Kevin, the NFA was upheld as CONSTITUTIONAL by the Supreme Court in the 1930's.  So yes, we're quite sure the NFA was passed by Congress, signed by the President (FDR, may Obamacare be upon him), and upheld by the Supreme Court.  So while everyone on this board agrees NFA is bad law, we are stuck with it until we are able to break it in the courts, bypass it with technology (SIG brace, bumpfire stocks, welded muzzle devices), or repeal it outright.  Rants on ARFCOM about how bad the NFA is and how it should be repealed don't actually do anything.  Joining the NRA, writing your Congresscritter in a reasoned, informed way, participating in class-action lawsuits against BATFE, and working on bypass technology is helpful.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top