[#3]
" />
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
" />
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
OP, It looks like you filed the tabs off the front and back of the QASM Picatinny RAMP and the side tabs are a snap in friction fit in the slots on the Thorsden?
View Quote

That is correct.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Puszczyk has built the first truly ambidextrous ejecting AR!  

Perhaps you should market a line of "Door Stop Recoil Pads" for the AR pistol shooter?  Looks like a good idea.  In before BATFE claims a door stop needs a $200 SBR tax stamp.  

"On review, Tech Branch finds that door stops are not a regulatable firearm part, unlike shoelaces..."
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Taggeroo. I dig it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a problem I face with my AR pistols which I am sure depending on the legality of it, others may too. I do not like the current available solutions to mount a QD sling to my ar pistol. Normally a stock may come with a QD mount  built in to the stock. However, on an ar pistol we cannot have a stock. This got me thinking of ways to mount a QD mount in the most useful way to allow the quick attachment and detachment of a sling while on the range to facilitate carrying the AR pistol with shorter slings. I have come up with the following idea which might change the way we mount slings to AR pistols.

***Testing was done on AR rifle for safety.***

We start with a Thordsen buffer tube cover and Cheek saddle which ATF says is OK. Letter from ATF
http://i.imgur.com/taxvUkol.jpg

Then add a picatinny rail adapter to allow users to mount a QD mount.
http://i.imgur.com/DA6vwD3l.jpg

Now we add the QD mount
http://i.imgur.com/QkBeyT6l.jpg

Sling attached to QD mount.
http://i.imgur.com/aT7dZ6wl.jpg

QD sling detached.
http://i.imgur.com/qS1RVxSl.jpg

Thoughts?
View Quote

Been following this thread hoping for an update.  I don't remember seeing who made the qd mount?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Been following this thread hoping for an update.  I don't remember seeing who made the qd mount?
View Quote

Waiting on Tech Branch...

QD Mount is available from different manufacturers, Knights, Gear Sector, or you can get the same style ones off ebay for about $15, work just as good as the more expensive ones.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Any update from the ATF on this?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I love this. If the ATF was a computer, they would need a CTRL+ALT+del and a reboot after trying to figure out if this is legal.

Please let us know what they say. If not, we'll take your silence as a sign things did not go too good
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love this. If the ATF was a computer, they would need a CTRL+ALT+del and a reboot after trying to figure out if this is legal.

Please let us know what they say. If not, we'll take your silence as a sign things did not go too good
View Quote

Still waiting on Tech branch...
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The response is the one thing I am paying the most attention to in the forum. When did you mail the letter?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The response is the one thing I am paying the most attention to in the forum. When did you mail the letter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5/8 per his post 2 pages back on 5/8
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#15]
The response to Sgt. Bradley's question about shouldering a Sig braced pistol took about 5 weeks, so hopefully, the Firearms Technology Branch's response to this question will be sent soon.

I am really hoping it will be approved because I see a complete 9mm CMMG lower with the OP's set up in my future if it is.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adding to subscription list to hear results/determination from  BATFE.  Looks VERY promising...great idea OP.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump for interest
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Two months and counting for the reply.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#20]
subscribed

ETA: what is the length of that thing from the end plate??
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

AR45fan,
  I have a couple questions re: your AR pistol (if you don't mind).
1) What is the OVERALL length?
2) What is the barrel length?

I am re-thinking my aversion for what I (used to) consider an aberration.I'm almost to the point of convincing myself that there is a legitimate place for one of those.

Thanks
                      Dana
 ETA: If any of you other AR pistol owners want to give me some measurements (OAL and bbl. length) I would be grateful.thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
QD end plate.  Mine's a Daniel Defense but lots of people make them. It's a $20 mod.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq331/AR45fan/IMG_4026_zps6ff9a5e2.jpg

AR45fan,
  I have a couple questions re: your AR pistol (if you don't mind).
1) What is the OVERALL length?
2) What is the barrel length?

I am re-thinking my aversion for what I (used to) consider an aberration.I'm almost to the point of convincing myself that there is a legitimate place for one of those.

Thanks
                      Dana
 ETA: If any of you other AR pistol owners want to give me some measurements (OAL and bbl. length) I would be grateful.thanks.

Easier to link you to my post here.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]
gvazquez, any word? Just checking in.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting choice and a novel idea . Tech branch has the final say so no matter what
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Interesting choice and a novel idea . Tech branch has the final say so no matter what
View Quote

No, no, WE have the final say.  The people have the power to repeal the NFA.  Tech Branch is merely our agent, adjudicating the rules we have chosen to enact.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, no, WE have the final say.  The people have the power to repeal the NFA.  Tech Branch is merely our agent, adjudicating the rules we have chosen to enact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Interesting choice and a novel idea . Tech branch has the final say so no matter what

In an ideal world you'd be right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no, none of this ideal world bs.  We as a community have been unable to persuade the people the NFA should be repealed.  We can keep bitching or try harder.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Does the tech branch usually take this long to respond or are people running around freaking out at the atf over this?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#28]
In before ATF.

Did I make it?

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Who makes the cheek piece?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, no, none of this ideal world bs.  We as a community have been unable to persuade the people the NFA should be repealed.  We can keep bitching or try harder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'backbencher' is right.  Reminds me of Justice Scalia.  True words.

About the QD endplate - I like it and hope it's allowed because this is still not a moveable stock.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

About the QD endplate - I like it and hope it's allowed because this is still not a moveable stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing has to be "moveable" to be considered a stock.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#32]
So you're telling me an M16A1 is not an AR pistol?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think the Tech Branch response would be along the same lines of the most recent letter regarding the sig brace and the legality of improper use. A QD connector is not a stock. When installed in such a position, yes, you might at first glance think the pistol has a "stock" in place, but you'll realize it's not. It's simply a cheek weld and a QD connector. Likewise, the profile of the Sig Brace might look like a "stock" but it's not a stock, plain and simple. Laws are most effective when they are black and white. And when there is any grey area, or confusion, it's official advisory opinions, or formal judicial decisions that clarify the grey back into black and white.

Furthermore, because of the orientation of the QD socket, towards the rear, you'll realize that when a QD sling is attached, that it interferes with the area on the rear of the socket and buffer tube that someone might argue could be used as a "stock". Well, it's obviously not useful as a stock with a sling attached, and that is the obvious purpose of the attachment point. Should you remove the sling from the QD socket and happen to use it in a fashion other than intended, it really doesn't change the fact that no "stock" is installed on the device.

Another way to look at this:  What if you installed a QD socket on the front rail at 9 oclock, and chose to misuse it in a fashion like a vertical foregrip. Does the QD socket become a vertical grip? No, it's just a QD attachment point being misused. This would not make the firearm subject to NFA control.

One last thing:  Please stop pestering the Tech Branch with letters upon letters upon letters. These people probably have plenty other things to do, and we don't need to ask them if painting a sig brace purple would alter it's classification just because you're butt hurt over an internet post.

Example of stupidity and what not to do:  "Duh, Mr. NFA-Guy what if I hand carved a shoulder STOCK out of balsa wood and superglued it to the back of my Sig Brace with the sole INTENT to only ever SHOULDER FIRE this newly constructed SHORT BARREL RIFLE that I will fire always with TWO HANDS, never one, would this still be a legal pistol or did I just have sexual relations with your mother?"

The Tech Branch is not Dear Abby, and they have more important things to deal with than breaking up an argument at your basement Call of Duty marathon Lan-party.
View Quote

Freaking brilliant, sir.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nothing has to be "moveable" to be considered a stock.

- OS
View Quote

Good point OhShoot.  Like the A2 buttstock, etc.  

So the ATF will have a strong case to justify ruling against this QD endplate because it creates a rigid surface like a stock extending down from the buffer tube cover, to mimic a stationary stock.

Different case from the Sig brace ruling, where that accessory aids in using the pistol with one hand (per pistol definition) but just so happens to have other uses too (firing from shoulder).

Attaching an extending QD mound on the Thordsen just doesn't aid in using the gun as a pistol in a similar way by any part of the definition.  Attaching a sling to a pistol just doesn't seem compelling enough.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
.................... Attaching a sling to a pistol just doesn't seem compelling enough.
View Quote

That's why he wrote to Dear Abby, ...... I mean the Tech Branch, to get an opinion that matters.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#36]
If he didn't care about any other opinions apart from the one that 'matters' perhaps he wouldn't have posted the issue in this forum.  

Here's another useless opinion - the OP can go and fill out a Form 1 and pay his $200 tax stamp fee on one of his lower receivers just like me and so many others have done or plan to do.  People just need to stop being lazy and try to skirt the rules.  There, I said it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If he didn't care about any other opinions apart from the one that 'matters' perhaps he wouldn't have posted the issue in this forum.  

Here's another useless opinion - the OP can go and fill out a Form 1 and pay his $200 tax stamp fee on one of his lower receivers just like me and so many others have done or plan to do.  People just need to stop being lazy and try to skirt the rules.  There, I said it.
View Quote

OP isn't trying to skirt the rules - he's asking the rule makers what specifically the rules cover & do not cover.  The current rule is ambiguous about this.  There is no loophole in the law - the law is the law, and if you're calling loophole or saying someone's skirting the law, then you're saying what they're doing is legal & you don't like it.  Fine - write to your congressman and demand the NFA be more strict.  Be sure to start a thread in GD about what you wrote your congressman.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Edit: Taken out of context on my part.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#39]
People need stop depending on the 'rule makers' to define things for them in small words, and start using common sense like responsible adults.

A rifle can have a stock. A pistol cannot. Anything that performs like a stock doesn't belong on a pistol.

Hey, the Sig brace is legal for the reason I mentioned above, and I like it.  I even bought one for my *pistol* lower.  But if someone wants to add something to the tip of the pistol buffer tube cap to turn it effectively into a stock, just don't come here crying when the 'rule makers' say no.

OP hasn't made the case for how his QD modification, at the most, enhances the use of the gun as a pistol, nor at the least, how hit fails to change the pistol buffer tube cap into a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
People need stop depending on the 'rule makers' to define things for them in small words, and start using common sense like responsible adults.

A rifle can have a stock. A pistol cannot. Anything that performs like a stock doesn't belong on a pistol.

Hey, the Sig brace is legal for the reason I mentioned above, and I like it.  I even bought one for my *pistol* lower.  But if someone wants to add something to the tip of the pistol buffer tube cap to turn it effectively into a stock, just don't come here crying when the 'rule makers' say no.

OP hasn't made the case for how his QD modification, at the most, enhances the use of the gun as a pistol, nor at the least, how hit fails to change the pistol buffer tube cap into a fixed stock.
View Quote

The SIG Brace changed the rules as we understood them for nearly 80 years.  Now that the rules have changed, people are naturally exploring to find out where the new line is.  Will Tech Branch approve OP's innovation?  Maybe, maybe not.  But we're not going to know unless OP writes Tech Branch (which he has), or chooses the EP Armory school of Federal Firearms Rulemaking Discovery, which is to get arrested and then argue out his innovation in court.  I think OP has chosen the wiser path.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#41]
There's another course of thought to this issue, how the f@ck can any federal agency tell it's citizens that adding any accessory to a legal firearm that increases safety yet does not add any advantage to committing a crime, is illegal until we pay $200 and wait a year for permission?  A law that is unconstitutional is not really a law, what we need is a judge to rule this particular aspect of NFA as unconstitutional.  Adding a buttstock to any weapon makes it safer, buttstock especially are meant to allow users to align there sight picture and make it a stable, more accurate and inherently safer to opperate by stabilizing and aligning our sight picture.  Will the day come when we have to pay a stamp tax on putting iron sights on our weapons?  The next step after adding sights is to add a buttstock for the best possible shot.  The atf does want us to hit what we r aiming at right?  If an ar-15 pistol is purchased from a store legally u have already gone through a background check, which probably took no more than a week btw, so most ppl r already on file as the registered owner.  Adding a buttstock makes it safer, not more dangerous, because even though u get a more stable shot, it also harder to conceal, from a criminal Intent standpoint, it's a wash, just like a short barrel, (easier to conceal at the cost of accuracy and velocity, again it's a wash)  from a law abiding standpoint t, adding a stock makes it safer, period.  The BATf is way a a overstepping their rights as a federal agency trying to enforce these ridiculous regulations to the detriment of it citizens it should b protecting, and don't even get me started about fast and furious.  The regulations regarding barrel length and buttstocks should only b used to add time to criminals who r doing g really bad things.  If u want to b 100% legal, pay the taxstamp, totally cool.  However if u r using for home defense or shooting somewhere out In the woods, maybe consider a bit of civil disobedience, this is the very definition of tyrannical, unconstitutional overstepping of righteous logic by the atf.  If a local copper catches u and tries to tell u he's gonna send u up for making your legally owned firearms safer, put them on YouTube, bring up the issue of budget and using tax payers money to prosecute what is otherwise law abiding and rational safe gun owner behaviour, show a legal ar-15 next to an "illegal" one and point out the one with the buttstock is actually safer.  Shame any judge, cop, lawye,r politician, or whoever would waste tax dollars prosecuting someone for making there weapon safer.  Again, an unconstitutional law isn't really a law, and anybody that supports it should be shamed into behaving rationally.  I know they r out there, but what judge, copper, local law enforcement officer wants to be shamed on YouTube for burning taxpayers dollars to prosecute law abiding citizens for making legal firearms safer, or for that matter helping the atf to do all the retarded shit they have been doing for the last 30 y3arz?  Again, u want to pay the tax cool, I'll pay one someday to get a suppresor, assuming I don't get busted for making my ar-15 safer to handle first.  But am I going to wait to put a buttstock on it if it for home defense, and all it does is make me safer, for the atf to dig up my life and collect there $200, sounds like a protection racket to me.  Hell if they confiscate my gun are they going to sell it to some Fucking drug cartel?  Cause I don't sell my guns to drug cartels, I use them for fun and to defend my family, in a way that is legal and logical.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There's another course of thought to this issue, how the f@ck can any federal agency tell it's citizens that adding any accessory to a legal firearm that increases safety yet does not add any advantage to committing a crime, is illegal until we pay $200 and wait a year for permission?  A law that is unconstitutional is not really a law, what we need is a judge to rule this particular aspect of NFA as unconstitutional.  Adding a buttstock to any weapon makes it safer, buttstock especially are meant to allow users to align there sight picture and make it a stable, more accurate and inherently safer to opperate by stabilizing and aligning our sight picture.  Will the day come when we have to pay a stamp tax on putting iron sights on our weapons?  The next step after adding sights is to add a buttstock for the best possible shot.  The atf does want us to hit what we r aiming at right?  If an ar-15 pistol is purchased from a store legally u have already gone through a background check, which probably took no more than a week btw, so most ppl r already on file as the registered owner.  Adding a buttstock makes it safer, not more dangerous, because even though u get a more stable shot, it also harder to conceal, from a criminal Intent standpoint, it's a wash, just like a short barrel, (easier to conceal at the cost of accuracy and velocity, again it's a wash)  from a law abiding standpoint t, adding a stock makes it safer, period.  The BATf is way a a overstepping their rights as a federal agency trying to enforce these ridiculous regulations to the detriment of it citizens it should b protecting, and don't even get me started about fast and furious.  The regulations regarding barrel length and buttstocks should only b used to add time to criminals who r doing g really bad things.  If u want to b 100% legal, pay the taxstamp, totally cool.  However if u r using for home defense or shooting somewhere out In the woods, maybe consider a bit of civil disobedience, this is the very definition of tyrannical, unconstitutional overstepping of righteous logic by the atf.  If a local copper catches u and tries to tell u he's gonna send u up for making your legally owned firearms safer, put them on YouTube, bring up the issue of budget and using tax payers money to prosecute what is otherwise law abiding and rational safe gun owner behaviour, show a legal ar-15 next to an "illegal" one and point out the one with the buttstock is actually safer.  Shame any judge, cop, lawye,r politician, or whoever would waste tax dollars prosecuting someone for making there weapon safer.  Again, an unconstitutional law isn't really a law, and anybody that supports it should be shamed into behaving rationally.  I know they r out there, but what judge, copper, local law enforcement officer wants to be shamed on YouTube for burning taxpayers dollars to prosecute law abiding citizens for making legal firearms safer, or for that matter helping the atf to do all the retarded shit they have been doing for the last 30 y3arz?  Again, u want to pay the tax cool, I'll pay one someday to get a suppresor, assuming I don't get busted for making my ar-15 safer to handle first.  But am I going to wait to put a buttstock on it if it for home defense, and all it does is make me safer, for the atf to dig up my life and collect there $200, sounds like a protection racket to me.  Hell if they confiscate my gun are they going to sell it to some Fucking drug cartel?  Cause I don't sell my guns to drug cartels, I use them for fun and to defend my family, in a way that is legal and logical.
View Quote

Unfortunately for your argument, the Supreme Court ruled the NFA Constitutional in the 1930's.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey, this is fun for me.  Not bitter at all.

Yes, we won't know 'the answer' unless and until the OP gets a reply.  But he didn't just choose the wiser path, as you say, but he also did it the EP Armory way by assembling this potentially illegal stock with his modification.  Even if to ask a question.  He could have just pictured it adjacently without installing the QD mount.

I know that a similar mockup was done for the Sig brace prototypes during its submission letter, but in that case it was also shown being used as a pistol brace.  The QD attachment is not intrinsic to a pistol in the same way.  In fact, the OP pictured it next to a similar-looking stock! What's the ATF supposed to think?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, we won't know 'the answer' unless and until the OP gets a reply.  But he didn't just choose the wiser path, as you say, but he also did it the EP Armory way by assembling this potentially illegal stock with his modification.  Even if to ask a question.  He could have just pictured it adjacently without installing the QD mount.

I know that a similar mockup was done for the Sig brace prototypes during its submission letter, but in that case it was also shown being used as a pistol brace.  The QD attachment is not intrinsic to a pistol in the same way.
View Quote

No, he used a 16" bbl.  So even if it's ruled a stock, OP is still good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I know that a similar mockup was done for the Sig brace prototypes during its submission letter, but in that case it was also shown being used as a pistol brace.  The QD attachment is not intrinsic to a pistol in the same way.  In fact, the OP pictured it next to a similar-looking stock! What's the ATF supposed to think?
View Quote

No worries. I read your follow up post and edited my original one. S'all good brotha.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that a similar mockup was done for the Sig brace prototypes during its submission letter, but in that case it was also shown being used as a pistol brace.  The QD attachment is not intrinsic to a pistol in the same way.

Unclear who's talking about which by now, but here is the composite pic Alex submitted with the actual brace prototype. You can see it is a short barrel, and I never saw where he said exactly what the gun was, but the red tip would suggest it's a paintball or toy gun of some ilk or other.

- OS
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Unclear who's talking about which by now, but here is the composite pic Alex submitted with the actual brace prototype. You can see it is a short barrel, and I never saw where he said exactly what the gun was, but the red tip would suggest it's a paintball or toy gun of some ilk or other.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag159/alessandrorbosco/ATFApprovalPhotos.jpg

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  No, he used a 16" bbl.  So even if it's ruled a stock, OP is still good.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag159/alessandrorbosco/ATFApprovalPhotos.jpg

- OS

I'm talking about the OP in this thread, not the SIG Brace inventor guy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Does anyone know who makes that cheek piece in the OP, it isnt sold by the manufacturer of the buffer tube cover.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:48:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

the legal distinction b/t a pistol and a rifle is horses hit and ONLY exists b/c THEY wanted to ban all concealable weapons but they coulnt' get it to pass w/ normal type handguns, so made up all sorts of arbitrary BS distinctions about stocks and what not.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#50]
so WTF OP, did you get a respons yet?
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top