Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A gun that won't run both steel and brass is already broken IMNSHO.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
damn, i am thinking about trying some cheap steel case ammo to save some $, this gives me 2nd thoughts

It's a little bit of troubleshooting for years of benefit. I just consider it part of owning an AR - you dial it in, so that it does what you want it do. I wanted a flexible AR that can shoot many kinds of ammo, so I realize I gotta put the work in to make that happen.

i don't want to damage the gun during the debugging process or shooting of steel ammo

A gun that won't run both steel and brass is already broken IMNSHO.

- OS

Testing steel or known underpowered ammo will not hurt anything.  Unless it's a dedicated competition rifle tailored, tuned, and tested for a pet load,  an ammo picky gun is going to be operating on the ragged edge of reliability.  

My rifle short stroked everything after going from a rifle to carbine buffer/extension. It had been flawless for the fifteen years prior to that. A $15 reduced power action spring fixed that. It has since ran everything I could get a hold of.

The fixes don't always have to be expensive, labor intensive, or exotic.

During times when ammo gets scarce it's nice to be able to shoot anything off the shelf.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My thought is to copy the known specs of the 10.3" inch  Mk 18 Mod 0.

• Gas port 0.070"

• 5 coil extracter spring

• McFarland Gas Ring

• H or H2 Buffer

Because 40,000 rounds of documented Military testing seems like a good place to start.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The use of McFarland gas rings may be a bad idea.  Their rep for durability and reliability is spotty these days.  Mine has no tension after just 500 rounds, but the gun still runs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
can someone do a flow chart like the one for the  ATF & SBR? but instead it would start with "does bolt hold back with 1 round fired"? yes?-----> not a gas issue
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

can someone do a flow chart like the one for the  ATF & SBR? but instead it would start with "does bolt hold back with 1 round fired"? yes?-----> not a gas issue
View Quote
This should be SOP for new build checklist...

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm relatively certain that the most recent issues were due to having a dirty chamber. I had not cleaned it at all since buying it (just to see how long it would go before giving problems) So its had probably 300 rounds of steel ammo though it without any chamber cleaning.

When I chambered a round by hand I could feel the resistance as it got tight toward the top and seated it... I had to use the bolt to clip onto the edge of it and extract it... After a good scrubbing with a brush the shells now cleanly fall/slip right out of the chamber when I hold it upside down so that is a big difference.

After speaking with some other people it seems that its EXPECTED that you'll have to clean the chamber every few hundred rounds of steel cased ammo and that this is a "Normal" interval for steel cased ammo.... If that's true then I guess this is about as good as I'm going to get it.... I want to try and see how many rounds I can get before a jam on a fresh chamber now....

Does that sound right though? only a few hundred rounds then you have to clean the chamber when shooting steel cased ammo?

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Supermario - I ordered an adjustable gas block, from you know where for $34, will report back.

The heavy buffer did cure my stuck casings to what I know now is about 95-98%. I still get a suck casing every few boxes (with TULA only, no other problem with Wolf, never a problem with brass). I've been told the TULA has a fast burning powder that exacerbates an over-gassing issue. No doubt, my 5.56 with a 10.5" barrel (.088 gas port) is over-gassed, as the casings are landing at 2:00. Between the Heavy Buffer installed now and the adjustable gas block arriving in a couple of days, I have some high hopes to get my pistol configured ever closer to 100% reliability on both Brass and Steel.

Thanks for the notes on the chamber.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Supermario - I ordered an adjustable gas block, from you know where for $34, will report back.

The heavy buffer did cure my stuck casings to what I know now is about 95-98%. I still get a suck casing every few boxes (with TULA only, no other problem with Wolf, never a problem with brass). I've been told the TULA has a fast burning powder that exacerbates an over-gassing issue. No doubt, my 5.56 with a 10.5" barrel (.088 gas port) is over-gassed, as the casings are landing at 2:00. Between the Heavy Buffer installed now and the adjustable gas block arriving in a couple of days, I have some high hopes to get my pistol configured ever closer to 100% reliability on both Brass and Steel.

Thanks for the notes on the chamber.

View Quote

Yes I'm thinking if I still have problems the next possibility would be overgassing. Found this great article last night which finalized the decision and I'll be picking up an adjustable gas block as well.  - http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/12/17/adjustable-ar-gas-blocks/
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Yup thanks for the link, so many other advantages: recoil reduction, easier to clean, less risk of caking the chamber. Why didn't we know this before building the Pistols in the first place? Lol.

My only issue right now is that the Adjustable I bought has the adjustment screw on the side, which I think is going to create a new problem of accessing it, as my Quad Rail goes over the Gas Block ... it's possible I may have to drill a small hole on my Quad Rail just enough to fit an allen wrench through to access the adjustment screw.

I saw the other Adjustables in the market that have the adjustment screw located on the FRONT, which for pistols that have their Gas Blocks covered by the Quad Rail would be a nice and easy access point. The problem is that those Adjustables cost double or more than the $34 one on E.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yup thanks for the link, so many other advantages: recoil reduction, easier to clean, less risk of caking the chamber. Why didn't we know this before building the Pistols in the first place? Lol.

My only issue right now is that the Adjustable I bought has the adjustment screw on the side, which I think is going to create a new problem of accessing it, as my Quad Rail goes over the Gas Block ... it's possible I may have to drill a small hole on my Quad Rail just enough to fit an allen wrench through to access the adjustment screw.

I saw the other Adjustables in the market that have the adjustment screw located on the FRONT, which for pistols that have their Gas Blocks covered by the Quad Rail would be a nice and easy access point. The problem is that those Adjustables cost double or more than the $34 one on E.

View Quote

yea saw that. gonna have to shoot without a handguard to tune it!! Luckily my handguard is very easy to remove quickly.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm relatively certain that the most recent issues were due to having a dirty chamber. I had not cleaned it at all since buying it (just to see how long it would go before giving problems) So its had probably 300 rounds of steel ammo though it without any chamber cleaning.

When I chambered a round by hand I could feel the resistance as it got tight toward the top and seated it... I had to use the bolt to clip onto the edge of it and extract it... After a good scrubbing with a brush the shells now cleanly fall/slip right out of the chamber when I hold it upside down so that is a big difference.

After speaking with some other people it seems that its EXPECTED that you'll have to clean the chamber every few hundred rounds of steel cased ammo and that this is a "Normal" interval for steel cased ammo.... If that's true then I guess this is about as good as I'm going to get it.... I want to try and see how many rounds I can get before a jam on a fresh chamber now....

Does that sound right though? only a few hundred rounds then you have to clean the chamber when shooting steel cased ammo?

View Quote

yeah i'd think so, have you read the article from box o truth about steel case ammo? it explains well about the problem with steel case ammo, basically steel case is hard and won't expand like brass so won't create a good seal, the dirty gas will leak through gap, and carbon will become "glue"

by the way thanks for the adjustable gas block link, interesting read
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I got the Adjustable gas block installed. Luckily I can access it diagonally with an Allen key with a round tip. I'll try to get out and run some tests over the next day or two and will report back:

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got the Adjustable gas block installed. Luckily I can access it diagonally with an Allen key with a round tip. I'll try to get out and run some tests over the next day or two and will report back:

http://i62.tinypic.com/25r2zol.jpg  
View Quote

Haha lucky break! And GL! Mine should be here soon as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Ok just got back from the Range and my experiment with the new Adjustable Gas Block ... geez, what a night and day difference. Pistol shoots smooth as butter and shot anything I put in it from M193's to the cheapest Steel Case money could buy without a single issue. It's a different firearm now. It's more steady to shoot. I recommend it to anyone who has an AR Pistol, especially those who exhibit symptoms of over-gassing.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok just got back from the Range and my experiment with the new Adjustable Gas Block ... geez, what a night and day difference. Pistol shoots smooth as butter and shot anything I put in it from M193's to the cheapest Steel Case money could buy without a single issue. It's a different firearm now. It's more steady to shoot. I recommend it to anyone who has an AR Pistol, especially those who exhibit symptoms of over-gassing.

View Quote

Awesome! I've received mine but yet to install or shoot it yet. Very anxious now!

and definitely get a AR specific chamber brush if you don't have one. Works wonders. I now clean all my guns so an unfired round (when pushed into chamber by hand) will fall out when inverted. I cleaned mine so shells would slip out then fired 2 mags (without problem) and checked again and it was starting to get dirty to where the shells would no longer fall out due to their own gravity.

I'm really interested in using this method to do some testing on force required to "unseat" shells at various intervals... Hmm... Anyways, great news! I may have to order them for all my AR's!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Awesome! I've received mine but yet to install or shoot it yet. Very anxious now!

and definitely get a AR specific chamber brush if you don't have one. Works wonders. I now clean all my guns so an unfired round (when pushed into chamber by hand) will fall out when inverted. I cleaned mine so shells would slip out then fired 2 mags (without problem) and checked again and it was starting to get dirty to where the shells would no longer fall out due to their own gravity.

I'm really interested in using this method to do some testing on force required to "unseat" shells at various intervals... Hmm... Anyways, great news! I may have to order them for all my AR's!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should work fine.

What GB did you go with?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It should work fine.

What GB did you go with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should work fine.

What GB did you go with?

GB?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

GB?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should work fine.

What GB did you go with?

GB?

Gas Block...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gas Block...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should work fine.

What GB did you go with?

GB?

Gas Block...

oh, ebay special....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Profile-Adjustable-Gas-Block-Set-Screw-Mount-750-Mil-Spec-556-Made-in-USA-/171246785049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27df1a9219
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Bought the same one from eBay, works awesome, just like the price :D It came branded with a solid set of instructions and tips. It's probably the best money I've spent on an upgrade.

The one off eBay is actually from a company called Battle Test Equipment, the price there is even more awesome. http://bte-usa.com/

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:43:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
H2 buffer and bcm extractor upgrade fixed my problems with double feeds and failures to extract.
View Quote

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top