Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2014 5:57:08 PM EDT
All, I am going to start looking for upper parts for my 300 Blackout build, I want to know what is the best size barrel to go with...????  I want to use suppressor with it so any help will be greatly appreciated

I read 12.5" is the ideal barrel but I am thinking about 10.5"....??????

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just ordered the 9" from AAC today. Gonna SBR it. From what I have heard and read about it 9-10's is adequate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just ordered the 9" from AAC today. Gonna SBR it. From what I have heard and read about it 9-10's is adequate.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Got my form 1 back and I'm going 9" AAC upper too.  Will be set up for subsonics.  Just have to save some more for the can.

OP if you're using a can then you'll have to run subsonics too, for that low sound signature you're probably looking for.

9" is enough length to burn all powder for 300 blk, so 9" = no flash.  Since low velocity subs are designed for a relatively short effective range (~200m max) there's not much you get in return from a longer barrel for this use.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Great.....I'll start looking for 9-10.5" barrel then.....

I am going with Kesrtel can, heard good things about it plus the price is right
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 10.5.  Wish I'd gone with a 9.5 - not much difference in performance.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Decent info for you here.  Page 18, difference between 9" vs 12.5" subsonic suppressed is 40fps, which is why there is basically no difference at all between 9" vs 10.5".
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I think AAC said that 9" barrels are the best length. I went with an 8" barrel and am very pleased with the results. I'm sure a 10" barrel is ok also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Decent info for you here.  Page 18, difference between 9" vs 12.5" subsonic suppressed is 40fps, which is why there is basically no difference at all between 9" vs 10.5".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for this great info.....

I am getting 9" barrel for sure now.....

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think AAC said that 9" barrels are the best length. I went with an 8" barrel and am very pleased with the results. I'm sure a 10" barrel is ok also.
View Quote

Completely agree, ~9" seems to be the most efficient but there's nothing essentially wrong with a slightly longer rig if that's what someone prefers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I checked Huntertown Arms web site and suppressor for 300blk minimum barrel length shows 11.5"........

Minimum barrel length11.5 inches

I wonder if it'll work with 9" barrel....????  
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Honestly my choice is between AAC, Gemtech and Surefire so I can't tell you much about Huntertown's .30 cal cans and I don't want to give you bad info.

If I were guessing though, it probably has to do with the amount of blast baffle erosion their design can sustain.  The slightly longer barrel length probably helps the baffles hold up against blast erosion longer.  If they recommend 11.5" I'd listen to it.

If you want to go 9" you might have to look at other suppressors.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Honestly my choice is between AAC, Gemtech and Surefire so I can't tell you much about Huntertown's .30 cal cans and I don't want to give you bad info.

If I were guessing though, it probably has to do with the amount of blast baffle erosion their design can sustain.  The slightly longer barrel length probably helps the baffles hold up against blast erosion longer.  If they recommend 11.5" I'd listen to it.

If you want to go 9" you might have to look at other suppressors.

View Quote

If I use their can on anything less than 11.5" then warranty is voided so if I go that route I will need to stick to 11.5" barrel....but I like to stick with shorter barrel since I am building a pistol/CQB version therefore 9" is what I will go with.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Past 9" there is no additional powder burn according to what I have read.  I went with an 8.5".
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
10.5 supressed sounds great.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I am looking for a 10.5 for a build, but can only find 7.5's in stock. Anyone know a good place to find one?
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like  AAC's 9" barrel on their website is awsome. I know you often get what you pay for but are there any other good options that are'nt so pricey and in stock (this is what I looked at http://www.advanced-armament.com/9-300-BLK-AR-Barrel_p_460.html )
You went ahead and bit the bullet so you are convinced AAC is the way to go. Where did you buy your's. Any thoughts or input to help convince me would be appreciated.

(message ment for GunDisaster's comment but wasn't sure how to get his reply above mine)
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I am looking for a 10.5 for a build, but can only find 7.5's in stock. Anyone know a good place to find one?
View Quote

If you are looking for barrel then try MidWay  Bayou  CustomAR15  Tombstone Rainier Arms eBay

300 Blk upper OneSource  GoodLandGuns  

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I did 8.2" and love it, sounds nice with the SDN-6.

BUT before you go buy figure out your optics, lights, lasers, night vision, all of that shit, DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH RAIL SPACE?

I want night vision, so one day (hopefully) I will find out if I have enough room for it.

IMHO I would try to keep it 10" or under go 11" tops
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#20]
8-10
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I want an 8" however I am concerned with the badger/ short pistol buffer length. It seems that all the limited info is that the Honey Badger is reliable. FPS Russia's review was very positive. I plan to use suppressed and un suppressed. I would like to keep it under 9".
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That can is not designed for 300 blk it will not work well with subs at all.  I have one and have tried it, it will work with the supers but the subs it sounds like its not suppressed at all. If you do some digging there are many others that say this about that can too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That can is not designed for 300 blk it will not work well with subs at all.  I have one and have tried it, it will work with the supers but the subs it sounds like its not suppressed at all. If you do some digging there are many others that say this about that can too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size barrel do you have with Kestrel can?  For $500 bones it better work as it should, but as their specs noted that you have to use 11.5" barrel as minimum barrel length or they will not warranty or support it.

Specifications

Supported Calibers:.308, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39
Full Auto:Yes
Minimum barrel length11.5 inches
Overall Length:8.5 inches
Diameter:1.5 inches
Weight:26 ounces (plus mount)
Core Material:Stainless Steel
Tube Material:Stainless Steel
Finish:Black Oxide
Threads:5/8-24 (supplied)
1/2-28, 1/2-36, 14x1mm LH
An optional universal mount is available for gunsmith fitting to any other thread pitch, including 24x1.5mm
MSRP:$599.00

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#24]
if you call and talk to them they will tell you it is not your best choice.  Here is a link with the owner of HTA talking about how its will not work for 300 blk.  The owner name is SemperFiUSMC  
link to topic on HTA can with owner talking
opps just noticed you were looking at the slightly longer 308 can but the bore is the same so you might have the same problem or not the owner says the K308 will work much better. I also have their 9mm can and it does a good job with the subs.  Do some good research before you buy. It would suck to spend the money wait all that time and have it not do what you want
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

if you call and talk to them they will tell you it is not your best choice.  Here is a link with the owner of HTA talking about how its will not work for 300 blk.  The owner name is SemperFiUSMC  

link to topic on HTA can with owner talking

opps just noticed you were looking at the slightly longer 308 can but the bore is the same so you might have the same problem or not the owner says the K308 will work much better. I also have their 9mm can and it does a good job with the subs.  Do some good research before you buy. It would suck to spend the money wait all that time and have it not do what you want
View Quote

Thanks for pointing this out, you got that right about spending $500 $600 and wait 7-9 months then finding out it doesn't work as it should would really push me off the top.  

I just can't understand why these suppressors cost so much and not much material to make them....bunch of thieves  

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I am definitely going to write to the owner of HTA to make sure before I spend my hard earned money on one of their product before I ended up like the guy on that link that was posted by digitalrebel80......owner sounds like a straight up guy, maybe he might have something for 300 blk....

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I was at a LGS checking on suppressors, they were kind of high on prices, so I asked if I purchased one from HTA and transfer to them what's the price and I was shocked by the answer I received from the guy......HOLY BATMAN.....$200 is what he told me.....so I made sure he is correct with his price and he repeated and break it down for me.....the price of the suppressor + $200 tax stamp + $200 transfer fee.......

Is this true?  

Of course I will go to HTS web site and look up the closest dealer to me and buy it through them to avoid this madness.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#28]
NFA transfer fees usually cost more than regular transfers.  Around here, I'd say they average about $90 - $125 vs $35 - $60 for a typical long gun transfer.

$200 seems pretty high but I know nothing about your area.  Best to call around or check your local forum to get a baseline.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am definitely going to write to the owner of HTA to make sure before I spend my hard earned money on one of their product before I ended up like the guy on that link that was posted by digitalrebel80......owner sounds like a straight up guy, maybe he might have something for 300 blk....

View Quote

They are good guys to deal with and will help you out.   When I have had questions I just gave them a call and they were quick to answer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, first post here. My Q is I want my next rifle to be in 300 BO. What barrell length for an sbr entry/med game hunting, hogs/deer to 150-200yds? I will probably suppress it.

Thanks

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I have built several 300 Blackout pistol uppers in 7.5, 9, and 10.5 . Allot of folks tend to forget that the Blackout was designed for barrels as shorts as 6 inches. Technically it takes 8 inches for the Blackout round to burn the majority of its powder ( compared to nearly 20 inches for a 5.56).
I don't think you can't go wrong if you choose a barrel between 7.5 to 10.5 . I love the compactness of a 7.5 , but I personally run a 10.5 myself.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top