Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2014 7:48:39 AM EDT
I did a search and did not find this topic.  Since the Fortis SAG seems very similar to the magpul angled grip, would it be viewed as such by the ATF?

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably ok to use but best to write to them (ATF) and make sure, that way you have a letter from them stating exactly that if/when you get someone (LEO) in your face questioning about it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Stop writing letters. Geez. It's an angled grip just like the Magpul AFG. Use it if you wish.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop writing letters. Geez. It's an angled grip just like the Magpul AFG. Use it if you wish.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu234/carbonfly/NFA/SBR1_zpsd884248e.jpg

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu234/carbonfly/NFA/IMG_4013_zpsde6a78dd.jpg
View Quote

Well since it appears as if yours is placed on an SBR and not a pistol, the question still remains for the legality of use with a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well since it appears as if yours is placed on an SBR and not a pistol, the question still remains for the legality of use with a pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Angled is angled. Vertical is 90.°

Why would his picture have any bearing on the legality? It is quite black and white.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just showing you a picture of it. Would you like me to put it on one of my pistols and take a picture? Geez. No one cares about a stupid angled grip. Just run it if you want. If you are afraid then don't put it on. No one is gonna prosecute you because it's an angled grip. Not a vertical grip.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I disagree the AFG is listed by name in the ATF letter, not the degree of angle. Imo it's not worth 10 years in club fed for being wrong. I would write the letter or use a  magpul AFG
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I disagree the AFG is listed by name in the ATF letter, not the degree of angle. Imo it's not worth 10 years in club fed for being wrong. I would write the letter or use a  magpul AFG
View Quote

Bottom line it is the type not brand of grip that matters.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
it you are that worried then get a handstop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a simple post to ask a question.  I certainly don't understand the need for the tone of your response.

The risk associated with assuming wrong is not worth it, so I was simply asking if anyone had any knowledge of the grip being acceptable for use on a pistol.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why would his picture have any bearing on the legality? It is quite black and white.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Because SBR's have a different legal status than a pistol and can have a buttstock and any forward grip that a long barreled rifle can.

So using your "90° logic, the larger Fortis grip could be used since it is not 90° either or hell, I could just bend any grip to 89° and slap it on right?

I will let you argue your logic with the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
When is the last time anyone actually had their gun inspected by an ATF agent? No advocating anything illegal but we already have a document stating that angled grips are ok, so go with it. Don't make it harder than it is. Basically I stop asking stuff when I get the answer I want. If you keep asking, they might change their mind.

I don't think anyone has actually been prosecuted for a VFG on a pistol but I have heard of people being told to take theirs off the gun. No harm no foul.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When is the last time anyone actually had their gun inspected by an ATF agent? No advocating anything illegal but we already have a document stating that angled grips are ok, so go with it. Don't make it harder than it is. Basically I stop asking stuff when I get the answer I want. If you keep asking, they might change their mind.

I don't think anyone has actually been prosecuted for a VFG on a pistol but I have heard of people being told to take theirs off the gun. No harm no foul.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really?  Because SBR's have a different legal status than a pistol and can have a buttstock and any forward grip that a long barreled rifle can.

So using your "90° logic, the larger Fortis grip could be used since it is not 90° either or hell, I could just bend any grip to 89° and slap it on right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was speaking in simplistic terms.

Generally, the Vertical in VFG and Angled in AFG should be clue enough.

ETA:
Maybe I'll follow the status quo and send off a letter to the ATF tech branch anytime I add or change an accessory.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably, but I would get an ATF letter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I laugh at those things.  The dynamics of an angle foregrip is a body armor position.   Good idea, make yourself a big target, monkey see monkey do.  Although, I suppose if you're going to load up on IVa armor, you've got the right idea.  I just don't see a lot of armor on the all the monkeys at the range.  Sure looks cool, though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I laugh at those things.  The dynamics of an angle foregrip is a body armor position.   Good idea, make yourself a big target, monkey see monkey do.  Although, I suppose if you're going to load up on IVa armor, you've got the right idea.  I just don't see a lot of armor on the all the monkeys at the range.  Sure looks cool, though.
View Quote

Angled foregrip provides me a more comfortable , less rotated grip on the weapon. With or without body armor. I couldn't care less on how it looks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Angled foregrip provides me a more comfortable , less rotated grip on the weapon. With or without body armor. I couldn't care less on how it looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It only works in an isosceles position which is in practical purposes mainly useful with body armor.  You learn to shoot that way and that's your default level of training.  I see so many isosceles positions at the range, I think it's promoted to make everyone easier targets in times of stress.  Every time a see a Weaver position (which is becoming less and less frequent), I think, there's someone who's been trained.  I just see a bull on everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.

Bullshit. Stop fear mongering.

You people are so insecure about this shit, may as well buy a factory pistol, leave it stock, and never let it see the light of day.

People argue these stupid details, fearing "the man."

If you wanted an innocuous build that garnered no public scrutiny perhaps the choice of building an ar pistol was a bad one.  

Most LEO's, the public in general, and even other firearms enthusiasts have little to no clue concerning ar-15 pistols.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]
OMG...so confusing.  Must write letters
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You people are so insecure about this shit, may as well buy a factory pistol, leave it stock, and never let it see the light of day.

If you wanted an innocuous build that garnered no public scrutiny perhaps the choice of building an ar pistol was a bad one.  

Most LEO's, the public in general, and even other firearms enthusiasts have little to no clue concerning ar-15 pistols.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.

I agree because lets face it, who doesn't have a decade to piss away in prison?  Let's just assume its gtg and that no one will know the difference anyway.

The question here iS NOT whether it has any angle to it or not.  The question is if changes from a firearm being designed to shoot with one hand to a firearm designed to fire using two hands.  That is the litmus test that the ATF uses, regardless of what we think, feel or assume.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree because lets face it, who doesn't have a decade to piss away in prison?  Let's just assume its gtg and that no one will know the difference anyway.

The question here iS NOT whether it has any angle to it or not.  The question is if changes from a firearm being designed to shoot with one hand to a firearm designed to fire using two hands.  That is the litmus test that the ATF uses, regardless of what we think, feel or assume.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.

Sir, what is the Magpul AFG's purpose on an AR pistol? Decoration? Ballast? Please explain.

This is legal. How is that possible?

Is this blowing your mind?

ETA:
What may really scare you is that ATF agents themselves don't always know what's legal or not. Some guys I work with were told that shouldering a pistol with an arm brace is illegal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Sir, what is the Magpul AFG's purpose on an AR pistol? Decoration? Ballast? Please explain.

This is legal. How is that possible?
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/XO-26b_800x235.jpg

Is this blowing your mind?

ETA:
What may really scare you is that ATF agents themselves don't always know what's legal or not. Some guys I work with were told that shouldering a pistol with an arm brace is illegal.
View Quote

Not blowing my mind.  That could be a registered SBR that doesn't have a buttstock, or it could be registered as an AOW or it could have an overall length of greater than 26 inches.  All three cases would be legal.

I am not saying that everyone that see's your legally or illegally modified pistol will automatically be able to identify it as such.

The purpose of the AFG is irrelevant to the ATF.  All they care about is if it changes the classification from a legally modified pistol into an illegally modified one.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.

... you're still wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#25]
No one cares...except the Feds. I wouldn't want to risk a range officer calling the cops for a FEDERAL violation. It is NOt angled the same as the MAGPUL and I would want it in writing. Actually it looks like the angled indentation is designed to grip it in the same manner as a Vertical grip.

All these people who just do whatever they want willy nilly with no regard for the laws, as stupid as they may be is the reason gun owners get such a bad reputation.

Quoted:

I was just showing you a picture of it. Would you like me to put it on one of my pistols and take a picture? Geez. No one cares about a stupid angled grip. Just run it if you want. If you are afraid then don't put it on. No one is gonna prosecute you because it's an angled grip. Not a vertical grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#26]
If this isn't registered properly with a stamp as an AOW it is illegal! Stupid...yes, nonetheless I was at a range with 3 NFA items. A suppressor and 2 SBR's. I showed documentation for suppressor and 1 SBR and could not find the paperwork for the other SBr. I literally keep a binder but it must have fallen out. I went to my car to search for it and before I could walk back in with the paperwork that in fact did fall out I was met by a local LEO who was called by the range master. had I not had the paperwork I think I could have had a bad afternoon.

NOW Imagine if it wasn't registered at all? Don't take the risk because internet tough guys are trying to convince you too.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Correct that some ATF employee's don't know all the rules. However if you get a letter in writing signed by the director or whoever it is that signed all my letters asking legal questions it is a good defense in court. I could NEVER see a jury convicting...a lawyer would tear it up 1000 ways...Hell there is no way the DA would waste their money trying.

Get a hard dicked DA who may be anti gun and then give them the "its NOT illegal, besides I was not bothered enough to take 3 minutes and write a letter asking because youre laws are stupid" attitude and see how that fares for you.

Me personally. I'd rather risk the 3 min's and a .45 cent stamp!
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Just write a letter!!! Its not that hard!! Then you know for sure and have proof that what you are doing is legal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

... you're still wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.

... you're still wrong.

Until it's in writing from the BATF Tech Branch that this particular angled grip is not legal, you're just blowin' smoke.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If this isn't registered properly with a stamp as an AOW it is illegal! Stupid...yes, nonetheless I was at a range with 3 NFA items. A suppressor and 2 SBR's. I showed documentation for suppressor and 1 SBR and could not find the paperwork for the other SBr. I literally keep a binder but it must have fallen out. I went to my car to search for it and before I could walk back in with the paperwork that in fact did fall out I was met by a local LEO who was called by the range master. had I not had the paperwork I think I could have had a bad afternoon.

NOW Imagine if it wasn't registered at all? Don't take the risk because internet tough guys are trying to convince you too.

View Quote

...and?

Someone called the police saying I was firing a machine gun. No paperwork was needed to prove that my 1911 wasn't a machine gun.

Just like my completely unrelated and irrelevant story, suppressors and sbr's are a different matter altogether.

Are you suggesting everyone have a letter stating that their ar pistol is a pistol or non rifle firearm?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

...and?

Someone called the police saying I was firing a machine gun. No paperwork was needed to prove that my 1911 wasn't a machine gun.

Just like my completely unrelated and irrelevant story, suppressors and sbr's are a different matter altogether.

Are you suggesting everyone have a letter stating that their ar pistol is a pistol or non rifle firearm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...and?

Are you simply a natural antagonistic misanthrope or do you have to practice?

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and?

More than anywhere else on ARF.com, the pistol section is often rife with confusion, misinformation, and fear.

It gets old.

If it's such a big deal write the letter and share the results, is all.

Otherwise, everything myself, you, and others have contributed is bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Angled

Angled

Vertical

Vertical

Doesn't take an aerospace degree to figure out what you should or should not be using within the guidelines of the law.
Please remember innocent till proven guilty.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Angled
http://fortismfg.com/image/cache/data/Grip/Short-1-640x480.jpg

Angled
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/380/380749.jpg

Vertical
http://fortismfg.com/image/cache/data/Grip/Shift-3-640x480.jpg

Vertical
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9223/rvgcomp01b.jpg

Doesn't take an aerospace degree to figure out what you should or should not be using within the guidelines of the law.
View Quote

Uh, # 1 looks like a shortened version of # 3 - if # 3 is considered vertical by BATFE, then how is shortening it changing the grip angle?  (Even though #3 is clearly not vertical by the dictionary, maybe BATFE has twisted the English language again...)
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll just put in my 2 cents.  I wondered about using the AFG2 since last August.  I called my local ATF branch in my city and was told that the AGF2 is not considered a vertical grip.   He did commend me for trying to do things legally and he said it's not only what the AGF2 means to me or anybody else.  It's what it means to the ATF agent whom will question me and having a piece of paper in hand from the ATF is what counts.  Otherwise, because of his/her experience or lack there of (ignorance to the concept) the agent may confiscate my rifle and send it in to the ATF for clarification.  Now, I don't want my rifle being temporarily taken from me because of ignorance.    So, I wrote the ATF to get my own letter before I installed the AFG2.   I sent two letters.   I have not gotten a response or returned letter, so I know they have received it.

I recently got an email from an ATF agent at the technical division and was told that the AFG2 does not change the rifle classification and can be used.  I printed out and put the letter in an envelope and carry it in my case when I'm at the range.  

I questioned the validity of these ATF letters floating around, so I did my own homework and can confirm the AFG2 can be attached to a pistol and does not result in the making of a firearm subject to NFA controls, and may lawfully be added to your pistol without changing its GCA classification.

I gave my word that I wouldn't post the full communication nor the agents name...but there you go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Angled
http://fortismfg.com/image/cache/data/Grip/Short-1-640x480.jpg

Angled
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/380/380749.jpg

Vertical
http://fortismfg.com/image/cache/data/Grip/Shift-3-640x480.jpg

Vertical
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9223/rvgcomp01b.jpg

View Quote

While that's my take on it, opinions here definitely vary.

There's always ATF agents creepin' around looking for anything to bust ya on, doncha know
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'll just put in my 2 cents.  I wondered about using the AFG2 since last August.  I called my local ATF branch in my city and was told that the AGF2 is not considered a vertical grip.   He did commend me for trying to do things legally and he said it's not only what the AGF2 means to me or anybody else.  It's what it means to the ATF agent whom will question me and having a piece of paper in hand from the ATF is what counts.  Otherwise, because of his/her experience or lack there of (ignorance to the concept) the agent may confiscate my rifle and send it in to the ATF for clarification.  Now, I don't want my rifle being temporarily taken from me because of ignorance.    So, I wrote the ATF to get my own letter before I installed the AFG2.   I sent two letters.   I have not gotten a response or returned letter, so I know they have received it.

I recently got an email from an ATF agent at the technical division and was told that the AFG2 does not change the rifle classification and can be used.  I printed out and put the letter in an envelope and carry it in my case when I'm at the range.  

I questioned the validity of these ATF letters floating around, so I did my own homework and can confirm the AFG2 can be attached to a pistol and does not result in the making of a firearm subject to NFA controls, and may lawfully be added to your pistol without changing its GCA classification.

I gave my word that I wouldn't post the full communication nor the agents name...but there you go.
View Quote

Now that's playing it safe.....he/she said don't mean jack...but letter from ATF means everything.....

Again do what you think is right, but I am sure half of us here don't have the energy or $$$$ to fight with ATF.  If you happen to have a bad day and run into a hard a$$ ATF agent and if he said it's not legal and take your firearm, there isn't anything you can say/do at that moment....so be prepared, know you law in writing.....my $0.02
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I imagine it simple matters if you can hold it like a vertical grip. Feds don't care what you call it for marketing purposes. I would be very interested to see that angled grip image overlaid on some stubby vertical grips. That back angle to the fortis seems to allow vertical grip use like any low profile grip. Personally I wouldn't take the chance, but not for fear, I just don't see a benefit for the risk.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Lets just put this to rest because ya'all  know your going to buy an angled fore girp anyway if you don't have a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Now, I don't want my rifle being temporarily taken from me because of ignorance.    So, I wrote the ATF to get my own letter before I installed the AFG2.   I sent two letters.   I have not gotten a response or returned letter, so I know they have received it.
View Quote

Any grip is perfectly legal on any rifle under Federal law.  Why would you even bother writing the ATF about that?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Any grip is perfectly legal on any rifle under Federal law.  Why would you even bother writing the ATF about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now, I don't want my rifle being temporarily taken from me because of ignorance.    So, I wrote the ATF to get my own letter before I installed the AFG2.   I sent two letters.   I have not gotten a response or returned letter, so I know they have received it.

It's a pistol.   My mistake in wording.  That's why context is important.  The smart ones know what I mean
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

More than anywhere else on ARF.com, the pistol section is often rife with confusion, misinformation, and fear.

It gets old.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and?

It gets old.

At least you included yourself.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

It gets old.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and?

It gets old.

You didn't answer my question.

That is the only thing I have contributed to this thread.

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and?

It gets old.

What question?

Everyone is free to express their opinion, but such remarks have no place in a tech forum.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Less talk. More building.

Look at that sexy fortis rail and sexy fortis grip with a rainier break. Excellent SBR!
That little mini break was on sale during the holidays - bad ass combo IMO.

We should all strive for this.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top