Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/10/2013 6:28:52 PM EDT
Picked up the Extar pistol, hit the range, fell in love.
Got the single point sling, tri rail kit and AFG

Freakin loud as hell in the indoor range. I knew it was loud, but still louder than expected.

Any ways, I want to find a hard case for it, or soft bag.
The gun is 19inches long with the sling attachment, and same height as a regular AR. (18 inches, without sling mount)

I found plenty of oversized cases, and some quad pistol cases, but nothing was really perfect.
Pistol cases seem to max out at 16-18inch range, and I want the pistol to be horizontal in the case, not at an angle.

If I could get the pelican 42 in case, and just cut off 20 inches, it would be perfect.
Any suggestions, with links appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics?

FWIW, on cases, have a look at sub machine gun cases.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep this thread alive :)
I've been seriously considering adding one of these to my collection.

Let us know what you find!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up an older docasil (sp?) hard case with pluck foam . 18 in inside , it will fit, but at slight angle.

I have to install the rails, but I'll do that tomorrow and make a how to vid.
I'll post pics here tomorrow as well, when I get on my pc
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Picked up a Dokasil XL Pistol Case (Older, but never used on armlist)
Actually found 2 different sizes, both never used
an XL and Large

The Extar Does Fit at an angle, and I'm happy with that.

I can put it horizontally, it will physically fit, but i want more clearance

First Mod was to put on the Single Point Sling Mount, East install, remove one Screw, replace with Mount, and new Screw, No Instructions needed on that. ($20 from NFA)

Here is what you get when you order the TriRail Kit, and Sling Mount, no fancy packaging, but its cool.

Here are the parts from the tri-rail kit, I will install them shortly to make a vid. The instructions can cause some butthurt for some people i know...
And Yes they will need to be drilled and attached to the existing hand guard with nut and bolts. ($45 from NFA)
You don't have to install all 3, but I will

I will post more info to follow...

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Plain ol' leather or aluminum briefcase / attache case.

If you're not set on a hardcase, your options open up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Installed the rails - Made a Vid, but i'll edit before posting, Installing first rail was On the Job Training, 2nd and 3rd were easy after that...

Here is what it looks like with Rails and AFG
Sorry for big pics

I decided to put the rails into a triangle config, instead of 90 degrees, because I will not mount anything else on them, just cosmetic at that point.

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
So, would I be correct in saying that the only thing that makes those rails proprietary is that fact they have grooves to accommodate the ridges of the forearm?
Because otherwise it looks like you're just taking any old rails and literally drilling the hardware in yourself. I was expecting a less "home-brew" solution... Like a keltec /redlion forearm or something on the PLR.

Not sure if that bothers me yet, but it apparently works. I demand pics with stuff mounted on it!
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, would I be correct in saying that the only thing that makes those rails proprietary is that fact they have grooves to accommodate the ridges of the forearm?
Because otherwise it looks like you're just taking any old rails and literally drilling the hardware in yourself. I was expecting a less "home-brew" solution... Like a keltec /redlion forearm or something on the PLR.
View Quote

I was also expecting just a replacement forend, and yes, the rails are grooved for the forend, I could have totally fit some other plain rails on it, maybe smooth out some of the plastic for tighter fit.
but I digress..
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Picked up the Extar pistol, hit the range, fell in love.
Got the single point sling, tri rail kit and AFG

Freakin loud as hell in the indoor range. I knew it was loud, but still louder than expected.

Any ways, I want to find a hard case for it, or soft bag.
The gun is 19inches long with the sling attachment, and same height as a regular AR. (18 inches, without sling mount)

I found plenty of oversized cases, and some quad pistol cases, but nothing was really perfect.
Pistol cases seem to max out at 16-18inch range, and I want the pistol to be horizontal in the case, not at an angle.

If I could get the pelican 42 in case, and just cut off 20 inches, it would be perfect.
Any suggestions, with links appreciated.

View Quote

You might consider a case for a reciprocating saw. I repurpose power tool cases all the time for other things.
Use a dremel to remove the hard plastic molding that is shaped for the tool, add some foam. You can lock the handle.
Added benefit of looking like a used power tool.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

You might consider a case for a reciprocating saw. I repurpose power tool cases all the time for other things.
Use a dremel to remove the hard plastic molding that is shaped for the tool, add some foam. You can lock the handle.
Added benefit of looking like a used power tool.
View Quote

Excellent Idea! Much Appreciated!
I'm going to go that route, even though i have a case to fit.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top