Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2011 5:42:07 AM EDT
I was in a gun shop that will remain unnamed and was talking to the guy behind the counter about the pistol I was building. I got to the part about the barrel I was using which is a 7.5 inch. I then said that I want to add a 6 inch fake can to it with a mid length round hand guard. At this he stated that the length of the barrel with the fake can would be illegal. I kinda gave him a "wtf" look and then dropped the subject.
What I'm getting at is this:
My understanding is that the length of the barrel on a pistol doesn't matter as long as its fired as a pistol. Please tell me if I'm wrong in my understanding of the law, or if this is another case of a clerk not knowing what they are talking about. I'm not trying to be an ass, just want to know the facts.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot, you can have a 100" barrel on your pistol if you want to.

There's no max or min lengths on a pistol, other than those required by physics.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Even if pistols had to abide by the less than 26" total length rule a removable muzzle device does not add to the legal barrel length unless it is pinned and welded.

I have seen Remington XP-100 and Ruger 10/22 Charger pistols with 14"+ barrels.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I was sure I was right about it. I just didn't want to start anything with the guy because I like the gun shop that this subject came up in. I also like to get my facts straight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Should have asked to see that snub nose "pistol" in the case Pistol is a pistol in the eyes of the law.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you mean "fired as a pistol"? Are you not allowed to shoulder the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What do you mean "fired as a pistol"? Are you not allowed to shoulder the buffer tube?

Personally I can't remember the last time I fired a pistol with one hand.  Doesn't everyone shot their Glock with two hands.  Don't try and take the statutes to serioulsy...your brain will fry.

Just Sayin!

Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

By "fired as a pistol" means not to shoulder the weapon. Of course you use two hands to support the weapon unless you're from the hood.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#8]
this fired as this and that silliness needs to stop - you can fire your gun however you want. period.

you can stick the buffer tube up your ass and do full mag dumps if you get off on it

the law mandates how the weapon must be designed - once a legal weapon is constructed you can fire it however you want (assuming you don't fire on ppl or puppies or something)
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
this fired as this and that silliness needs to stop - you can fire your gun however you want. period.

you can stick the buffer tube up your ass and do full mag dumps if you get off on it

the law mandates how the weapon must be designed - once a legal weapon is constructed you can fire it however you want (assuming you don't fire on ppl or puppies or something)

This is what I'm referring to. Not living in the hood firing w/ one hand. Anyways, have you never praticed off hand or one handed, firing a pistol w/ two hands may not always be an option and something you should consider.

Too many post on here creating uncerntainty, for no reason. My point was the same as MaxTheRabbit, the law does not tell you how you can shoot your pistol.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top