Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Tacked AR Pistol Picture ONLY Thread. (Page 147 of 187)
Page / 187
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:15:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimEReaper] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
That's it, I'm taking it!

Ordered one SBA4 earlier on today, waiting to get two more when I get it (preorder).
I can't get SBRs here; I would. I just would, but I can't. All I have and will have for a while will be pistols.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4849/45209057595_f580227a10_h.jpg
733s
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
 I really prefer my SBM4 with APF tube a lot over my SBA3.

ETA for my hunting 300BLK, it is just a lot sturdier and perfect length for me. Why SBR?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:22:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#2]
Originally Posted By GrimEReaper:

I really prefer my SBM4 with APF tube a lot over my SBA3.

ETA for my hunting 300BLK, it is just a lot sturdier and perfect length for me. Why SBR?
View Quote
Oh I understand you; the SBA4 though could help you - should you want to swap - with sturdiness and length.

Re:SBR, for me it's really more of an aesthetics thing. I love those old stocks they had on those 733s (for example). The old Colt N stock and the waffle. I just truly love the looks of those. I mostly go for the classics nowadays and those short rifles had those stocks. Anything else (on the classics, clones) looks off, unfortunately.

That's the single only reason why I'd SBR a few lowers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:

Yep, those both scream SBA4 please lol.  I'm sure you will "find" a need to re purpose those SBA3s.  Worst case, sell on the EE.  They won't last too long there.

On the C7 upper one, I'd get a teardrop assist, drop the A2 grip for an original/repro A1 and get the skinnier older CAR15 style hand guards.  Then along with an SBA4 that would look perfect.  But hey, if they work for you as is, good deal.  Enjoy em while you can before they get 86'ed out there.  Or move back to one of the free states of America.
View Quote
Thanks - all true. I did by the way, I did exactly as you suggested (I think) on the C7 733 - it's posted higher on the thread. The two 733s was an older picture
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Weight and looks. Neither are really needed for most folks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RetiredLE:

Why no dust cover?
I wish there were more uppers out there without the dust cover mounts.

It looks goofy to not have the cover if it is meant to be there (but it really doesn't need to be there).
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Try here
View Quote
Cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Cool, thanks!
View Quote
Couple bucks cheaper at Right To Bear if you want to grab a few Mr @beitodesstrafe
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Good find!
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 50DollarCheShirt:
Couple bucks cheaper at Right To Bear if you want to grab a few Mr @beitodesstrafe
View All Quotes

Cool, thanks!
I've built 4 new ARs since Sept... so I need to chill.

But I'll keep them in mind in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: banrulizandre] [#10]
My AR-45 pistol build, shooting was at 20 yards in 29 degree weather offhand, 50 rounds, first ones through the pistol.

Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#11]

I've built 4 new ARs since Sept... so I need to chill.

But I'll keep them in mind in the near future.
View Quote
That's a terrible attitude Mister!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]

It looks goofy to not have the cover if it is meant to be there (but it really doesn't need to be there).
View All Quotes

Why no dust cover?

Anyone have a lead on uppers with no fa but with a dust cover?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#13]
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:

Why no dust cover?

There's this... but A1: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-slickside-upper-receiver-black-sku078000363-105045-201970.aspx?rrec=true

And the Vltor MUR can be had that way:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003409733/vltor-mur-modular-upper-receiver-with-shell-deflector-only-assembled-ar-15-matte

Aero: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-stripped-upper-w-marking-no-forward-assist-prod81821.aspx
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used the Aero one, and it is very nice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
My 10.5 A2

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have used the Aero one, and it is very nice.
View Quote
Agreed. I've built ~ a dozen using Aero Slick side uppers. They're as good as it gets (especially for the $$$.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:33:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#17]
Originally Posted By kwando:
My 10.5 A2

https://i.imgur.com/UE7p8SB.jpg
View Quote
Nice. Even thought I tell myself I'm GTG on AR builds, every time I see an A2 shorty build, I drool. Especially with a nice one piece carry handle upper. Damn it!

ETA: And even though some say the SBA3 doesn't look right on an A2 build, it looks (and works) perfect in my eyes.

Rock on brother, good job.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MackDaddy1962:

Nice. Even thought I tell myself I'm GTG on AR builds, every time I see an A2 shorty build, I drool. Especially with a nice one piece carry handle upper. Damn it!

ETA: And even though some say the SBA3 doesn't look right on an A2 build, it looks (and works) perfect in my eyes.

Rock on brother, good job.
View Quote
Once the SBA4 hits the market later in the year tempted to build myself one similar.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Once the SBA4 hits the market later in the year tempted to build myself one similar.
View Quote
From all I've seen thus far on the SBA4, that looks really good too. If they keep the price point reasonable..
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#20]
My 10.5 A2

https://i.imgur.com/UE7p8SB.jpg
View Quote
Looks almost identical to the .22 a2 I just built but I used a kak blade
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Can't wait, we talked about it before.
I even love the SBA3 actually; I would say that the SBA3 is the modern looking one while much likely the SBA4 will become the classic look, waffle stock look-alike to be used for retro looking builds.

I just can not fathom why more companies follow the same route and adjust to shapes that are retro-compatible.
Maybe it's the next thing to happen - SBA4 opening the way - but I foresee already huge, repeated success for the SBA4 as it's been and it is being for the SBA3.

Just to what the market wants.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
I apparently missed this.  That's going to drive down my desire to SBR anything.

When is this supposed to come out?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:01:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#23]

I apparently missed this.  That's going to drive down my desire to SBR anything.

When is this supposed to come out?
View Quote
I just found out three days ago; I don't know how I had missed it, since I was looking for Shot Show updates.
In any case: Spring (they say "Spring"), whatever they mean by it; April?

ETA: for all the folks that, like us here, hadn't heard of this news:

From here
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By endofdays:

Looks almost identical to the .22 a2 I just built but I used a kak blade
View Quote
Thats my next build.  A2 22 10.5" just need to find a way to align the FSB correctly.  I'm too cheap to buy the jig.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Thats my next build.  A2 22 10.5" just need to find a way to align the FSB correctly.  I'm too cheap to buy the jig.
View Quote
i have a dimple jig but theres no gas port to go off of. i used some levels and its straight as a grizzlys dick
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:25:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#27]
Yep, I'm tempted to order a couple of the C7 style A1 uppers from Delta Team Tactical before they sell out of them.  For the money its hard to ignore right now.

I'd like to do a pseudo 733 most likely with one but don't want to hassle with SBR'ing it. That SBA4 would suffice.  With the other C7 style upper I already have a 16in M4gery profiled barrel in .22lr that I'd probably use.  Build up a IDF/KISS clone most likely. Maybe do a Blackhawk down era rig. Who knows, theres lot of possible configs to go with. The nice thing about fixed carry handles and an A2 front post is not having to worry what optic or flip sights to go with.  That itself adds up when your trying to outfit a bunch of guns with red dots and scopes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:22:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep, I'm tempted to order a couple of the C7 style A1 uppers from Delta Team Tactical before they sell out of them.  For the money its hard to ignore right now.

I'd like to do a pseudo 733 most likely with one but don't want to hassle with SBR'ing it. That SBA4 would suffice.  With the other C7 style upper I already have a 16in M4gery profiled barrel in .22lr that I'd probably use.  Build up a IDF/KISS clone most likely. Maybe do a Blackhawk down era rig. Who knows, theres lot of possible configs to go with. The nice thing about fixed carry handles and an A2 front post is not having to worry what optic or flip sights to go with.  That itself adds up when your trying to outfit a bunch of guns with red dots and scopes.
View Quote
So true.

Blackhawk Down A2
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:37:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TOMTOM818] [#29]
finally bought a Law Tactical adapter.  long overdue!

switched back to the Thordsen cover w/ CAA cheekrest.  IMO it's a better option compared to the KAK shockwave 2.0.  the blade was very loose on the r.e. and adjustment was ehh.

I used the KAK receiver extension just in case...options are always nice

Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#30]
My KAC SR-16 / Aero Precision pistol is becoming one of my favorite things to shoot.
I'm not sure why there seems to be such a disparity between the SBA3 and Tailhook Mod 2 popularity... I much prefer the molded plastic on the Tailhook to the softer material on the SBA3

20190227-IMG_0058-Canon EOS 6D-EF35mm f-2 IS USM-2

20190227-IMG_0069-Canon EOS 6D-EF70-200mm f-2.8L IS II USM-Edit
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By UsubM:
My KAC SR-16 / Aero Precision pistol is becoming one of my favorite things to shoot.
I'm not sure why there seems to be such a disparity between the SBA3 and Tailhook Mod 2 popularity... I much prefer the molded plastic on the Tailhook to the softer material on the SBA3

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7905/47234816031_4b6cbccaca_h.jpg
20190227-IMG_0058-Canon EOS 6D-EF35mm f-2 IS USM-2

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7872/33359119318_cc57856981_h.jpg
20190227-IMG_0069-Canon EOS 6D-EF70-200mm f-2.8L IS II USM-Edit
View Quote
I like them both, no strong preference when shooting but I like the aesthetics of the Tailhook 2 a little better.

Price is probably the main thing, not sure if the Tailhook is worth $75 more. Plus PSA deals on the Sba3. If PSA sold the TH we'd see more in this thread I bet.

Pic thread -
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Changing sheeit around 'till you like it

Mk18
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 3:55:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#33]
80%lower. A bunch of random parts from the toolbox. SBA3 brace and Vortex red/green dot. Barrel is a 10.5" melonited barrel I bought from a coworker. Not sure of make. It's very accurate out to 125 yds.  That's as far as I've shot it so far.

Coated in Brownells Dark Parkerized Gray.

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#34]
just a couple I took out yesterday

10.5 Aero 308
10.5 Spikes Uni
7.5 Spikes Uni

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sittingbull] [#35]
Meh--needs paint
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By pc-ops:
just a couple I took out yesterday

10.5 Aero 308
10.5 Spikes Uni
7.5 Spikes Uni

https://i.imgur.com/HTwWa7u.jpg
View Quote
That is a very nice trio you have there!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#38]
It's coming along now, just got my first stamp last week. Still needs a paint job but I want to shoot it more than I want to paint it. The little Burris there fits just right in front of my thermal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TGE:
It's coming along now, just got my first stamp last week. Still needs a paint job but I want to shoot it more than I want to paint it. The little Burris there fits just right in front of my thermal.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20190302_163943_2_jpg-864210.JPG
View Quote
Another can gets outta jail!

Congrats brother.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Congrats brother.
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20190302_163943_2_jpg-0864210.JPG

Congrats brother.
Thank you! I just got back about 5 minutes ago from letting freedom ring (quietly).  Sounded great on the 16" 5.56, and same with supers on this one...But those 300blk subs!  I felt like a kid shooting for the first time all over again.

I've got 3 more cans still in jail, and I guess I need to get another one or two going.  You know, just to be sure.  4 is none and 8 is one...or something like that.

I knew it'd be cool, but I had no idea how awesome reality would be. Still smiling
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#41]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20190302_163943_2_jpg-864210.JPG
View Quote
Ohhhhh deets or pics of the baffles in that can, if you don't mind - please?
That looks great!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I really need to unsubsrcibe from this thread.  I have a safe full of pistols and it's so damn hard to not be tempted to build another with all the beautiful eye candy in here.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:
I really need to unsubsrcibe from this thread.  I have a safe full of pistols and it's so damn hard to not be tempted to build another with all the beautiful eye candy in here.  
View Quote
Agreed. Seriously addictive!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Assembled this one last summer. I filed a form 1 on it but have not reconfigured for SBR yet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By boerseun:
That looks great!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boerseun:

That looks great!
@boerseun thanks!

Attachment Attached File

I went with the freeze plug method from esstac's big thread in the Form 1 forum, and did them on a drill press.  This was my first time doing anything like this, but I took my time and the baffles came out pretty tight and close to perfectly centered.

Now I've read through the other big thread here and hit a couple other forums, and I might go with different baffle setup on the next one. This was simple and effective though, and a nice way to dip my toe in while I'm waiting for the commercial cans to come through.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#46]
22 1/8" collapsed. 7.5" BA 416R SS QPQ 556, Mega Arms GTR-3H build

She's one the GMT Halo hosts

https://media.fotki.com/2v2EKMEuCx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2EKMECSx9T3R.jpg
View Quote
Holy shit, MackDaddy, I need a cigarette.  That's gorgeous.

Great photos, too.  Well done.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Thor:

Thanks! It's a Bear Creek Arsenal. Possibly the only quality thing they make.
View Quote
Hey Thor, can you give me your thoughts on how a left handed shooter might fair with that side charging upper NOT having a brass deflector?  Would I be getting a face full of brass everytime I shot it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bailagent100: Holy shit, MackDaddy, I need a cigarette.  That's gorgeous.

Great photos, too.  Well done.
View Quote
Thanks brother. It's an obsession, no doubt.

I need to post up new pics. I've since swapped out the RMR for a Sig Romeo 5 mounted on a Geissele super T1 L1/3 mount.

Rock on
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bailagent100:

Hey Thor, can you give me your thoughts on how a left handed shooter might fair with that side charging upper NOT having a brass deflector?  Would I be getting a face full of brass everytime I shot it?

Thanks.
View Quote
Seeing as how I'm a lefty too, I'd imagine no brass deflector would slam hot brass in our face no question. I could be wrong... but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#50]
@boerseun thanks!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20190303_181414_jpg-865356.JPG

I went with the freeze plug method from esstac's big thread in the Form 1 forum, and did them on a drill press.  This was my first time doing anything like this, but I took my time and the baffles came out pretty tight and close to perfectly centered.

Now I've read through the other big thread here and hit a couple other forums, and I might go with different baffle setup on the next one. This was simple and effective though, and a nice way to dip my toe in while I'm waiting for the commercial cans to come through.
View Quote
Thanks @TGE
The formed freeze plugs is just the best way to go for form1's! Looks like you did them really nice! Are you running any spacers in there?
Page / 187
Tacked AR Pistol Picture ONLY Thread. (Page 147 of 187)
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top