Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1911Carbine:

Yep they do.  Ive got them on 3 lowers all mil-spec
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pyzik:
Looking at building an AR lower and before I buy the lower I am trying to figure out if the Phase 5 Tactical has Mil-spec threads.  Its looking like it is but you know what they say about assuming...

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys.

Awesome!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a PSA pistol tube that I put on a PSA lower.  When I tried to put my PSA upper on it, the take down pin was TIGHT.  After inspecting it, the upper and lower did not mate well together because the top of the pistol tube interfered with the seating.  Is there an easy and/or proper way of correcting this without any 'gunsmithing'?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 11:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YukonBoy03] [#3]
have the Spike's tube which is a little larger than a standard carbine tube. Still theca cheek weld was way too big.

someone posted this (below) in another archived thread, but it appears to only be for that smaller CAA cheek riser, does anyone know the best way to mount these things?

I used a cut up bike tire, but it's so jerry-rigged I can't stand it on an otherwise, kick-ass build

talked to the company that makes this. they said they are making one specific for the bigger CAA cheek weld. Should be out in the next few weeks
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Awesome!  Thank you!
View All Quotes
Looking at building an AR lower and before I buy the lower I am trying to figure out if the Phase 5 Tactical has Mil-spec threads.  Its looking like it is but you know what they say about assuming...

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys.

Awesome!  Thank you!
Just because I'm CDO (that's like OCD except in alphabetical order, like it should be! ): The threads are the same with either MIL-SPEC or commercial type receiver extensions.  It's the outside diameter of the two different types for carbines that is different.  Every standard lower has exactly the same threads, and all receiver extensions have the same threads.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By UsernameMDM:
I have a PSA pistol tube that I put on a PSA lower.  When I tried to put my PSA upper on it, the take down pin was TIGHT.  After inspecting it, the upper and lower did not mate well together because the top of the pistol tube interfered with the seating.  Is there an easy and/or proper way of correcting this without any 'gunsmithing'?
View Quote

I am unfamiliar with the PSA pistol tube, but it is threaded in slightly too deeply if it is interfering with the upper. If it has a castle nut, it is an easy fix, back the tube off a bit (if it is indexed for the buffer retaining pin like my Phase 5 is, try one turn) and re torque the castle nut. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
No castle nut.  Description calls for gunsmithing, so I guess I just need to break the dremel out:

Link Posted: 9/24/2013 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I am building my first AR. It is going to be a pistol with a 10.5" barrel and a Sig pistol brace.

Which buffer tubes fit with the Sig brace? It says it fits 1-1.2" OD. Has anyone used that setup?
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 2:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TBoneDetroit] [#8]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Just because I'm CDO (that's like OCD except in alphabetical order, like it should be! )...
View Quote

LOL! Funniest thing I've seen here in months, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TBoneDetroit:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TBoneDetroit:
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Just because I'm CDO (that's like OCD except in alphabetical order, like it should be! )...

That's some great shit there...
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]
what is everyone opinion of something like this from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161119927414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

its a no name copy of the Phase 5 tube. how bad could it be?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By evnash:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161119927414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

View Quote

Not sure about using parts off ebay for my firearm, but that's just me...But I do know someone using a kit off Amazon for his pistol and he hasn't had any issues. I picked up my phase5 kit for about 68 shipped when they had 10% off for the 4th of July.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ilrider78:

Not sure about using parts off ebay for my firearm, but that's just me...But I do know someone using a kit off Amazon for his pistol and he hasn't had any issues. I picked up my phase5 kit for about 68 shipped when they had 10% off for the 4th of July.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ilrider78:
Originally Posted By evnash:

the raw tube just came back in stock at Brownells for $49. ordered it yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I did a pistol build about 3 months ago and got a tube like this from High Powered Armory when they listed them on sale on their facebook page for $75.00. It was complete with castle nut, back plate, spring and buffer thought that was a good deal.
Not sure if they still offer them at that price or even offer them at all but it functioned perfect.
Never had any of the problems I had with some some of the shorties.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wpierce:
I am building my first AR. It is going to be a pistol with a 10.5" barrel and a Sig pistol brace.

Which buffer tubes fit with the Sig brace? It says it fits 1-1.2" OD. Has anyone used that setup?
View Quote

This.
Anyone know which buffer tubes work?
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 6:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lhotse] [#15]
Originally Posted By ch1966:

This.
View All Quotes

This.

In for the answer as well....

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lhotse:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lhotse:

This.

it'll fit on any round pistol tube. has to be round. can't have the little flat area with the notches for an adjustable stock.

the phase 5 fits tightly in the sig brace. I'm waiting on an RRA one to arrive to see if it'll work with with and my lower since the phase 5 refuses to thread into my lower.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I just put together a kit with the RRA pistol buffer tube, and the Sig brace/stock thing does fit pretty tightly. But, no castle nut on the RRA tube makes me sad. Anybody have a good way to get that thing on super tight? FWIW, this is an LMT lower, with a 12.5 BCM upper, functions great so far with an H2 buffer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#18]
any full length pistol tubes in stock that work with the sig brace?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:29:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: A-10] [#19]
I bought one of these (Guntec tubes) at a local gun shop for less than $50 complete kit and seems to work fine.  Only a few magazines thru it but they all functioned.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By A-10:
I bought one of these (Guntec tubes) at a local gun shop for less than $50 complete kit and seems to work fine.  Only a few magazines thru it but they all functioned.
View Quote

Second this, got it on Amazon with single point bungee sling for under $40 and runs perfectly. Super tight fit on the Sig brace.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.....again, and again and again.

Absolutely false
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Absolutely false
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Deadeye95:

Absolutely false
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 12:37:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YukonBoy03] [#24]
FYI, Thordsen just released an adapter for the CAA cheek weld
Here

I think you have to use it with their cover, but it's not a bad deal.

just got it in and put it on. Perfectly snug fit and well made. I am honestly very impressed. Magpul quality for polymer and fit and finish
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:
FYI, Thordsen just released an adapter for the CAA cheek wrl=http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/AR-PISTOL/p/CAA-SADDLE-ADAPTER-x2530334.htm]Here[/url]

just got it in and put it on. Perfectly snug fit and well made. I am honestly very impressed. Magpul quality for polymer and fit and finish
View Quote

For legality purposes, we can run standard Buffer Tube with these caa tube covers and saddles on pistols, correct?
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By transam7969:

For legality purposes, we can run standard Buffer Tube with these caa tube covers and saddles on pistols, correct?
View All Quotes
FYI, Thordsen just released an adapter for the CAA cheek wrl=http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/AR-PISTOL/p/CAA-SADDLE-ADAPTER-x2530334.htm]Here[/url]

Yes, Thorsden will confirm and has letters posted on their website for each of these parts. In fact, they won't work with a pistol tube as it uses the 6 slot section to index and keep the cheek weld in place.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I am doing a pistol build and just put together the Thordsen buffer tube cover with the CAA saddle.  Easy to put together and it is very comfortable.  Nice product they have there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I love my setup it works and feels great

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By chach3:
I am doing a pistol build and just put together the Thordsen buffer tube cover with the CAA saddle.  Easy to put together and it is very comfortable.  Nice product they have there.
View Quote

I am right on the edge of getting this system.  I understand they run with standard buffer tube correct?

Also, I am not sure I want to buy it right away...anybody got a good way of rendering the receiver extension unable to accept a stock until I buy the CAA/Thordsen?
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Yes, Thorsden will confirm and has letters posted on their website for each of these parts. In fact, they won't work with a pistol tube as it uses the 6 slot section to index and keep the cheek weld in place.
View All Quotes

I believe it's with their keyed buffer tube.  Essentially it's a custom pistol tube they make.
It has no holes or slots and no way of putting on an adjustable stock.

I'm not 100% on the legalities of using a regular buffer tube.  Some say it's ok and others say not to.
The law is very vague and would hate to be the test case.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Just used the KAK Gen II with the Sig Brace....very nice!  Exactly what I was shooting for.  Now to build a 10.5" 300AAC/BO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By weespeed:

I believe it's with their keyed buffer tube.  Essentially it's a custom pistol tube they make.

I'm not 100% on the legalities of using a regular buffer tube.  Some say it's ok and others say not to.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weespeed:

The cheek weld kit comes with some sort of plastic insert for the 6 position buffer tubes. I assume that is to be used for those looking to test the waters
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been using the Thordsen AR PISTOL BUILDERS PACKAGE for my build and it works perfectly. The CAA adapter kit that's included makes everything fit together without any wobble at all. Both pictures from the Thordsen site.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By nil:
I've been using the Thordsen AR PISTOL BUILDERS PACKAGE for my build and it works perfectly. The CAA adapter kit that's included makes everything fit together without any wobble at all. Both pictures from the Thordsen site.

http://siterepository.s3.amazonaws.com/2675/pistol_package.jpg

http://siterepository.s3.amazonaws.com/2675/pistol1.jpg

View Quote

This is exactly what I need! Thanks for posting up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Good morning, I have already searched for this company on here and have come up dry. Have any of you heard of Guntec usa? I found a package deal for their heavy pistol buffer tube with foregrip along with a ergo grip shipped for $125. I am rigging up a 10.5" pistol with a CMC triggers 3.5 flat in it.  Any feedback appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I just ordered from KAK for the first time to get the SB15 tube for my 7.5" build. Are they normally slow with their shipping?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By 2per:

I just ordered from KAK for the first time to get the SB15 tube for my 7.5" build. Are they normally slow with their shipping?
View Quote
They usually ship same or next day...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:
Originally Posted By 2per:

And they did! I was expecting an email giving the tracking number, but never got one. Came home today and it's at my doorstep!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CV-23] [#39]
KAK Gen2 Tube on my 12" 300 Blackout.  Very well made and thought out.....fast shipping and communication.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CV-23:
KAK Gen2 Tube on my 12" 300 Blackout.  Very well made and thought out.....fast shipping and communication.
<a href="http://s406.photobucket.com/user/CV-23/media/20140429_160156_zpsc7117656.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp145/CV-23/20140429_160156_zpsc7117656.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice build, was about to start the paperwork for an sbr , but why the hell would I do that now?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#41]
For those using the Phase 5 buffer tube and the Sig brace, how are you removing the foam on the Phase 5? Just cutting it off?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 58sniper:
For those using the Phase 5 buffer tube and the Sig brace, how are you removing the foam on the Phase 5? Just cutting it off?
View Quote

Just roll it off like a donut. Mine rolled off very easily.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 58sniper:
View Quote

Pull while twisting foam left and right. You won't tear it that way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm planning on running an SB-15 on a KAK tube. Took a good long look at KAK's many offerings and now I'm somewhat confused on which one to get. Do they all use carbine springs and buffers? Any reason one should want the castle nut style, to me the straight screw in tube looks cleaner? Looks like most or all of them can be had with an end plate with a Q/D swivel receptacle. Think KAK ought to make a comparison chart so it's easier to see what features you're getting.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By locobob68:
I'm planning on running an SB-15 on a KAK tube. Took a good long look at KAK's many offerings and now I'm somewhat confused on which one to get. Do they all use carbine springs and buffers? Any reason one should want the castle nut style, to me the straight screw in tube looks cleaner? Looks like most or all of them can be had with an end plate with a Q/D swivel receptacle. Think KAK ought to make a comparison chart so it's easier to see what features you're getting.

View Quote

All use carbine size/style buffer systems.  The KAK super tube has a castle nut for staking your buffer tube.  I would recommend looking up the advantages of staking a castle nut on a buffer tube.  I went with the KAK super tube with the castle nut as some have had issues with their buffer tubes coming loose/unscrewing a little bit under heavy round counts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I am also in process of building my AR15 pistol and plan on using an SB15.  I really like phase 5 parts and was planning to use their buffer tube assembly.  If you look at the specs for the buffer tube, it states that it has a diameter of 1.25".  The SB15 website states that the brace fits buffer tubes with diameters between 1" and 1.2".

My question is has anyone had any issues with mating the SB15 to the phase 5 buffer tube?  Does it require removal of the buffer foam pad?  

Want to make sure before I buy and would appreciate any feedback.

BR,

Nik H
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:10:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickOTime] [#47]
Originally Posted By NikH:
I am also in process of building my AR15 pistol and plan on using an SB15.  I really like phase 5 parts and was planning to use their buffer tube assembly.  If you look at the specs for the buffer tube, it states that it has a diameter of 1.25".  The SB15 website states that the brace fits buffer tubes with diameters between 1" and 1.2".

My question is has anyone had any issues with mating the SB15 to the phase 5 buffer tube?  Does it require removal of the buffer foam pad?  

BR,

Nik H
View Quote

Many people have used the Phase 5 tube on their SB15 pistols.  I use the KAK Super Tube, however I have heard the Phase 5 gives a very tight fit and does not let the SB15 move around very much at all once put in place.  Because of said diameter differences it is a little difficult to get the SB15 on but once on it is snug and secure.  Also when putting on the SB15 on to the Phase 5 buffer, remember to take off the foam cover.  I believe with the Phase 5 receiver tube you can actually make the SB15 sit flush against the rear of the lower receiver, but this I am not sure of.

From another,
Nik H
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you Nick...appreciate the quick reply.

The tight fit is why I am looking at this buffer tube.

BR,

Nk H
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By NickOTime:

Many people have used the Phase 5 tube on their SB15 pistols.  I use the KAK Super Tube, however I have heard the Phase 5 gives a very tight fit and does not let the SB15 move around very much at all once put in place.  Because of said diameter differences it is a little difficult to get the SB15 on but once on it is snug and secure.  Also when putting on the SB15 on to the Phase 5 buffer, remember to take off the foam cover.  I believe with the Phase 5 receiver tube you can actually make the SB15 sit flush against the rear of the lower receiver, but this I am not sure of.

From another,
Nik H
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NickOTime:
Originally Posted By NikH:

BR,

Nik H

From another,
Nik H

Using hair spray when installing the brace on the kak tube will "glue" it in place, and it will not spin so freely.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 8:34:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickemgood] [#50]
Originally Posted By locobob68:

View Quote

I have one of each on a couple of my builds.. the castle nut version allows you to use any standard endplate and install the buffer tube as you would a standard carbine tube. All of their buffer tubes use standard carbine springs and buffers. There is a spacer in the rear of the buffer tube to make up the length difference with the extended tube.

You can use the solid version, the only caveat of that is that you need to either use a pistol tube endplate or take your desired endplate and just grind the nub off with a dremel or file that would engage the bottom slot in the buffer tube. You need to be able to hold the endplate in place and screw in the buffer tube, which you can't really do with a standard endplate that engages the slot (thus the castle nut to allow you to rotate the buffer tube into position with the endplate engaged and then tighten in place with the castle nut.)

There are benefits to using a staked castle nut and many choose the castle nut versions for this reason.. ;)

Not a very good phone pic, but... lol

Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top