[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By togadelic:
considering the state of things right now

does this need to be stickied?

I am just trying to learn, and this appears out of date
View Quote
It is.

Per current ATF regulatory opinion, OAL with folding and collapsible braces is measured folded and collapsed, and on a bare buffer tube when a removable slip on brace is used. Muzzle devices only count when permanently attached.
https://www.recoilweb.com/measuring-the-overall-length-of-a-pistol-atf-has-altered-the-deal-151346.html

It is contradictory to their criteria for anything else, and contradicts their previous methods in dealing with manufacturers.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/05/24/oal-brace-folded/
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
For my firearm build with an SBM4 I used the MI 9" long tube.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 600RPM:

Back in '95, to retain the take-down pin detent spring in my pistol lower, I modified the receiver end plate with my shorty buffer assembly ( I think it is a Gunsmoke Ent. buffer kit):

I found a short hex cap screw, about 3/16" long, and, using a tap, threaded the spring hole opening at the rear of the receiver deep enough for the screw to thread in all the way.  

I shortened the spring by about 1/8" or so with wire cutters and ground the cut end flat and square on a grinder. I inserted the shortened spring into the hole and screwed the cap screw in to retain it.
NOTE: a flush set screw instead of a cap screw would have been easier, and canceled the need for the following mod:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/clcman/UtahFarmHouse/SafetySpringFix01.jpg

After measuring and marking the receiver end plate for the location of the now protruding cap screw head, I clamped it into a drill press vise and drilled a hole just large enough to fit over the cap screw head. It actually broke out the side of the receiver plate, but that was Ok, the "C" shaped hole fit nicely around the screw head.

Assembled the buffer tube on the receiver, Voila! Problem solved, spring retained.  I can now takedown the buffer tube assembly without having the spring pop out, or I can remove the spring to take out the pin without having to remove the buffer tube.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/clcman/UtahFarmHouse/SafetySpringFix02.jpg

Just FYI: I am still using the same original buffer spring 16 years/1,000 or so rounds later.  I bought a couple spare springs back in the day but have never used them.  Gun shoots great!
View Quote

I just use a 4-40 set screw and so don’t have to drill a hole in the end plate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey! New here, can anyone identify this buffer that came out of a pistol build I purchased? Thanks!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cdfpXkGQH8fgOMk_MXKODXwA
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Droppoint] [#7]
Originally Posted By dac98:
Hey! New here, can anyone identify this buffer that came out of a pistol build I purchased? Thanks!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cdfpXkGQH8fgOMk_MXKODXwA
View Quote

That is the weirdest buffer I've ever seen. The deadblow weights are on a central post and are exposed instead of inside a cylindrical body.

Reverse google search comes up with nothing.

Your image isn't showing... Here's the image:

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, thanks for the help with the image! It is weird, but I think I just came across it after a deep dive into the google machine. I believe it’s an AAC rate-reducing buffer. Apparently, the sliding weight is a bit heavier to reduce rate of fire which would help kill bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
i tried a search even on google with 0 results.

with the "brace" outlawed or grey area. as per the new law if you just remove the brace...its an actual pistol. just the tube.
so with that. is it still a pistol with a tennis ball on the end of the stock?

thats not a stock nor a brace?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cookemonster:

with the "brace" outlawed or grey area. as per the new law if you just remove the brace...its an actual pistol. just the tube.

View Quote

Having anything covering the rear of the tube is suspect.

Back in the 1980's, when AR pistols started becoming popular, the short pistol tubes included a padded tube, but it did not cover the rear of the tube, as it was an open ended padded tube.

The early arm braces were also open on the rear.

Later braces started to just cover the rear of the tube, in a questionable manner.

Also there is an implied tube length limit.

Putting anything on a carbine length tube would likely exceed the length limit.

I added an extended, padded recoil pad to a shooting vest, not to the firearm.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:

Back in the 1980's, when AR pistols started becoming popular, the short pistol tubes included a padded tube, but it did not cover the rear of the tube, as it was an open ended padded tube.

Later braces started to just cover the rear of the tube, in a questionable manner.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:
Originally Posted By cookemonster:

What is the “implied tube length limit?”
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PAESAN:

What is the “implied tube length limit?”
View Quote

There is language in the doc that implies that a round "pistol" buffer tube should not exceed 6-1/2".  I am fairly certain that this is to rule out the extended round "pistol" buffer tubes that became popular for those who wanted to add a vertical foregrip to their 10.5" AR "pistols", as well as those who would like to use a rifle receiver extension on their "pistol" with a tennis ball on the end.  Any standard 6-pos buffer tube is fine, even though they are longer than the 6-1/2" arbitrary limit placed on the round "pistol" buffer tubes.

Clead as mud, and intentionally so.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure of a question, but I really like the Vltor pistol buffer system, as it's a smooth tube, making it legal.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/receiver-extensions/pistol-a5-the-vltor-a5-pistol-kit/
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:40:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#14]
Originally Posted By AeroBenny:
Not sure of a question, but I really like the Vltor pistol buffer system, as it's a smooth tube, making it legal.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/receiver-extensions/pistol-a5-the-vltor-a5-pistol-kit/
View Quote

A smooth tube is not required to be "legal", the standard 5 or 6 position buffer tube your brace was attached to is perfectly legal to remain.

I have been wondering if the A5 would be legal as it adds length that is not required for function of the action.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

A smooth tube is not required to be "legal", the standard 5 or 6 position buffer tube your brace was attached to is perfectly legal to remain.

I have been wondering if the A5 would be legal as it adds length that is not required for function of the action.
View All Quotes

Not as I've read it. It states something like remove the brace and eliminate the ability to reattach it. The Vltor A5 has no attachment point, and is a smaller diameter tube. Seems like it is spot on legal. IMO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeMSD] [#16]

View Quote

Im curious why you say "perfectly legal". Is there some legal definition somewhere on legal tubes?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Not as I've read it. It states something like remove the brace and eliminate the ability to reattach it. The Vltor A5 has no attachment point, and is a smaller diameter tube. Seems like it is spot on legal. IMO.
View All Quotes

What it says:

Options Available to all Possessors
1. Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer
rifled barrel to the firearm.
2. Permanently remove and dispose of, or alter, the
“stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be reattached.

3. Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.
4. Destroy the firearm.
5. Register the weapon as set forth below depending on
your category of possessor
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MikeMSD:

Im curious why you say "perfectly legal". Is there some legal definition somewhere on legal tubes?
View Quote

When you get some free time:

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/factoringcriteriaforfirearmswithattachedstabilizingbracespdf/download
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#19]

There is language in the doc that implies that a round "pistol" buffer tube should not exceed 6-1/2".  I am fairly certain that this is to rule out the extended round "pistol" buffer tubes that became popular for those who wanted to add a vertical foregrip to their 10.5" AR "pistols", as well as those who would like to use a rifle receiver extension on their "pistol" with a tennis ball on the end.  Any standard 6-pos buffer tube is fine, even though they are longer than the 6-1/2" arbitrary limit placed on the round "pistol" buffer tubes.

Clead as mud, and intentionally so.....
View Quote

I'm guessing the answer to my question is just going to be, "no one knows" and the ATF will get to decide on an ad hoc basis. But here it is:

I would like to know if a bare pistol buffer tube (no dimples, no foam, just threaded on one side and smooth to the end) on a sub 16" barreled AR-15 is allowed under the new rule and if so how it is measured/how long can it be?

1) A bare buffer tube can still have older braces slid onto them. So does that not comply with this:

"Permanently remove and dispose of, or alter, the “stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be reattached, thereby removing the weapon from regulation as a “firearm” under the NFA." p. 271

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/factoringcriteriaforfirearmswithattachedstabilizingbracespdf/download

What if the pistol never had a brace on it? If it did, how would you "permanently remove and dispose" of it? Does that just mean you take it off, throw it away and never put it on again? Does this even matter if one doesn't have a brace?

2) There are bare pistol buffer tubes that are some 7 and 1/4" or so in length. Installed they are between 6 &1/4" to closer to 6.75" depending on if you measure to the castle nut, or the receiver itself.

"...an AR-type pistol with a standard 6- to 6-1/2-inch buffer tube may not be designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder even if the buffer tube provides surface area that allows the firearm to be shoulder fired." p 162

I've read some posters say something like, "Well that is to go against pistols that have extended buffer tubes that aren't hollow all the way to the end." Which I hope is the case. It would be clearer if they said the 6.5-7.5 range or described how to measure this length.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/122-778257/?r=&page=5#i8516698
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-Keep-all-new-ATF-Brace-rule-change-discussions-HERE/122-778257/?page=7#i8518007
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-Keep-all-new-ATF-Brace-rule-change-discussions-HERE/122-778257/?page=7#i8518182
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-Keep-all-new-ATF-Brace-rule-change-discussions-HERE/122-778257/?page=7#i8518341

I've read through those posts above, but I don't suppose there has been any more clarity since then?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:35:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#20]
What if the pistol never had a brace on it?
View Quote

In that case there is no action needed, as long as the buffer tube isn't the extended variety that has added length that is not required to cycle the weapon.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top