Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 3:57:24 PM EDT
Have a friend who wants to free float his DPMS LR-308

How can I tell which Gen it is (serial 168xxx)

And can I use a std ar15 wrench for it?

Any recommendations on rails?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Lancer carbon fiber and JP free floats.

You'll need an LR-308 barrel nut wrench.

That an LR-308, not a G2.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like Lancer carbon fiber and JP free floats.

You'll need an LR-308 barrel nut wrench.

That an LR-308, not a G2.
View Quote
OK Thanks, so the handguards/nuts are different for each, correct?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If you use a JP float tube, you can use a standard AR15 barrel nut wrench because JP made their nuts that way, which is nice for smiths.

You also get an AR15-sized float tube on a large frame gun, instead of a beast-sized float tube meant for Goliath's hands (I'm 6ft).

Does his rifle have an LR-308, AP4 v1, or AP4 v2 upper?

There are 3 different rail heights between LR-308 and AP4.

I didn't believe this at first, but I have owned all 3 and have both AP4 uppers in my gun room right now, measured both and they are different, even though they look the same.

You need to know that height when selecting rails if you put any rails on the float tube ( I didn't.)
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the Midwest Industries SS rails. They also have Keymod and Mlok versions as well. $200 but I have found them around $150-160.

Does he know about the high vs low version of his upper receiver? Not all hand guards will line up so he needs to determine what size he has before ordering.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a measurement point and reference heights as to which upper he might have?

To me it almost looks like a billet upper (hexagonal-ish)  I'll upload a pic here in a bit

Attachment Attached File

My only experience with the AR10 is Armalites, sorry for all of the questions.

He asked me to hook him up with a float rail, and a future 6.5C barrel.

I told him that he needs to upgrade that Barska 'sniper' scope first
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Whenever I see Chinese or Barska optics with pot metal rings with single fasteners on an AR10, I wonder if my advice is going to be of any value moving forward.

You can measure what kind of upper it is by taking calipers to the rear tang of the rail just above the charge handle.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whenever I see Chinese or Barska optics with pot metal rings with single fasteners on an AR10, I wonder if my advice is going to be of any value moving forward.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He told me the Barska is a good 'sniper' scope because it has all those fancy knobs on it, and the reticle lights up

I never said all my friends were smart
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top