Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2017 9:25:48 AM EDT
So I was putting together my Aero M5 upper(the standard type not the one piece enhanced) with my 12 inch Gen 2 Mlok handguard with Aero barrel nut and I realized I don't have a wrench that fits that barrel nut. Would appreciate input from people that have assembled this type before. I'm guessing an LR 308 barrel wrench would be large enough to fit and engage the holes on the barrel nut?

I'm fairly new to the 308 AR game, what wrenches would ya'll recommend? I already have appropriate vise blocks etc and a plethora of "AR15 tools", the AR 308 wrenches available are kind of confusing me.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Throw in a mocked up potato pic

Attachment Attached File

I know, I'm repainting the whole thing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I just use a bigger wrench.

I also have AR10 and DPMS gas tube hole wrench heads, and occasionally use them when diagnosing or fixing someone's large frame rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You need a DPMS pattern wrench. Standard AR15 wrench won't work on these (but will with the M5E1). To further confuse things, there is also an Armalite pattern AR10 wrench, which won't fit either.

I would think I could source one from Aero, but PRI has one too: http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186609&CAT=4215
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need a DPMS pattern wrench. Standard AR15 wrench won't work on these (but will with the M5E1). To further confuse things, there is also an Armalite pattern AR10 wrench, which won't fit either.

I would think I could source one from Aero, but PRI has one too: http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186609&CAT=4215
View Quote
Gotchya, so probably safe to say a wrench advertised as an LR 308 wrench will work then? That's what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I assume you're talking about this barrel nut. If so, then all you need is a standard AR15 barrel nut wrench to install it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
A standard AR-15 wrench will fit an M5E1?  For real?  If so, I think I'll stick to the M5E1 upper for my planned .308 build.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I assume you're talking about this barrel nut. If so, then all you need is a standard AR15 barrel nut wrench to install it.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/546x342/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/p/aprh308910-m5e1-handguard-barrel-nut-1_2.jpg
View Quote
Yes that nut and no my wrench wont fit it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A standard AR-15 wrench will fit an M5E1?  For real?  If so, I think I'll stick to the M5E1 upper for my planned .308 build.
View Quote
For their enhanced(the one with the built in barrel nut) you just need a 1 3/8'' wrench I believe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For their enhanced(the one with the built in barrel nut) you just need a 1 3/8'' wrench I believe.
I've seen the M5E1 uppers come with 2 different styles of barrel nuts. One that used a 1-3/8" Crowfoot wrench and one that uses an AR15 barrel nut wrench.

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/546x342/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/p/aprh308910-m5e1-handguard-barrel-nut-1_2.jpg
It should fit. I've installed a few of them and they all used an AR15 barrel nut wrench. I have 3 different wrenches and they've all fit the nut perfectly. I only have 2 with me right now and this is how they fit.

Guntec Wrench:

Midwest Industries Wrench (Comes with their handguards)

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It should fit. I've installed a few of them and they all used an AR15 barrel nut wrench. I have 3 different wrenches and they've all fit the nut perfectly. I only have 2 with me right now and this is how they fit.

Guntec Wrench:

http://i.imgur.com/xWenauv.jpg?1

Midwest Industries Wrench (Comes with their handguards)

http://i.imgur.com/pWf5jLT.jpg?3
View Quote
Good to know. The wrench I've been using for years is an older cheap Wheeler Engineering wrench, doesn't look like those. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good to know. The wrench I've been using for years is an older cheap Wheeler Engineering wrench, doesn't look like those. Thanks.
View Quote
If your wrench fits AR15 barrel nuts without any problem, then the nut may be out of spec.. Is there a local gun shop near by that sells Armorer's wrenches? If so, take the barrel nut with you and see if a different wrench fits it. If not, then you know it's the nut and you can email Aero to send you a new one. 
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top