Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You know what to do....

12.5" Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]
6.5 Grendel. I just built 2 12.5" myself hope to get them sighted in this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
How often do the 12.5" BA barrels restock? Because their site is showing OOS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know what to do....

12.5" Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Grendel
View Quote
This is the right answer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't shoot anything else now that I have built my 12" Grendel with a Lilja barrel.

What's the best way to host pics besides photobucket now?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't shoot anything else now that I have built my 12" Grendel with a Lilja barrel.

What's the best way to host pics besides photobucket now?
View Quote
A bronze membership
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
LRRPF52 is to blame for this.

12" Lilja 6.5 Grendel.

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:36:59 PM EDT
    [#11]
    Quoted:

This is the right answer.
    View Quote
    @ARmory04

Granite Ridge Outfitters has what you seek! I just clicked order myself after I couldn't find the BA barrel in stock and then found it there.

More good news? They're having a barrel sale...25% off!

With my thread in GD on the 6.5G, I figured the sale was a sign!
    Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:46:40 PM EDT
    [#12]
    Quoted:

@ARmory04

Granite Ridge Outfitters has what you seek! I just clicked order myself after I couldn't find the BA barrel in stock and then found it there.

More good news? They're having a barrel sale...25% off!

With my thread in GD on the 6.5G, I figured the sale was a sign!
    View Quote
    Yup this.  I grabbed one.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1567728_25--OFF-ALL-Ballistic-Advantage-Barrels--5-56---223--308--6-5-Creed-Gren--9mm---Free-Shipping.html 
    Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:31:02 AM EDT
    [#13]
    i read, "want to go with a lager caliber," and immediately thought .338 spectre.

Read the whole thread wondering why are the replies so moderate? Reread the original post, opps .30 cal. can. Didn't notice that. Does it define your upper limit? If so. then the .30 HRT.
    Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:40:13 PM EDT
    [#14]
    358 gremlin would be a fun round.  It should lose less velocity because of the larger bore.  35 Remington bullets would expand provided you can get them to feed and you could use 357 mag pistol bullets as well
    Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:22:11 PM EDT
    [#15]
    Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:43:09 PM EDT
    [#16]
    Quoted:
    I need to read up on 6.5G and do a local search for ammo.  Not a reloader (yet) so whatever I go with will need to be available.
    View Quote
    I just did a recent count and found 47 factory loads for 6.5 Grendel, including the 4 new loads from Federal and Hornady's new loads.

Federal just ran a production line of Grendel Gold Medal Match 130gr Berger OTM Hybrid...sold out immediately at Midway.

I've already been shooting the 90gr TNT (2894fps avg from my 17.6" Lilja Grendel) and their 120gr Match OTM.  They also have a 120gr Fusion hunting load.

Hornady has been making and selling the crap out of 123gr AMAX, 123gr SST, and now 123gr ELD-M ammo, starting back many years ago with AMAX.

Alexander Arms has supported the cartridge from the start with several loads ranging from 120gr TSX to 129gr SST.  They also make a great 123gr Scenar target load, 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Bambi-blaster, and a premium 130gr Swift Scirocco II bonded bullet.

Precision Firearms has a boat load of Grendel selections, all of which are loaded in world-class Lapua brass, so even if you don't hand load, you can sell your once-fired Lapua brass for as much as Hornady factory loaded ammo costs per piece.  I think PF had over 2 dozen loads last time I checked, to include the 129gr ABLR from Nosler, which is probably the most capable hunting load for the AR15, exceeding expectations and typical hunting distances by 3-4x the ranges people would normally shoot deer and hogs at.  Perfect premium bullet for the Grendel SBR.

Of course, you have Wolf steel case at 22.7 cents per round, runs and runs, and actually has some pretty brutal 7n6-like terminal effects with violent yawing upon entry of tissue.  Has already been used to slay deer and hogs with DRT effects.

I haven't had any issues finding Grendel factory ammo for about 8 years now, pretty much when I started shooting it.  There was a lot of 123gr Wolf Gold line Soft Point back then, which was a garbage round really that hasn't been made in years.  When Hornady kicked in with SAAMI submission and approval, that changed things for being able to shoot quality, affordable ammo for 6.5 Grendel.

Wolf steel case has really made it take off more and become more of a standard cartridge.  It took Bill Alexander 7 years back and forth through intermediaries with the engineers from Barnaul to iron out all the details of steel case before it was ready for market, but it paid off.

We're hoping to get Hornady to make steel match and steel hunting loads for fire-and-forget cases, at much cheaper prices.  That will be another great option if we can make it happen, looking at .50 cents per round with a Hornady tip on the end.

For immediate ammo needs, check out 6.5 Grendel Ammoseek

Vizards and Selway ship crazy fast.
    Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:49:17 PM EDT
    [#17]
    Quoted:
    358 gremlin would be a fun round.  It should lose less velocity because of the larger bore.  35 Remington bullets would expand provided you can get them to feed and you could use 357 mag pistol bullets as well
    View Quote
    I just assumed all the large bore AR cartridges would have more energy at 200yds than 6.5 Grendel, especially since they use such heavy projectiles traveling at respectable speeds from the muzzle.

Was surprised to see that not to be the case at 200yds myself.  There is a lot of retained energy with the Grendel, to the point that even a 20" .30-30 Win. pushing a 150gr Round Nose doesn't do well against a 10.5" or 11.5" Grendel pushing 123gr and 129gr pills.

There are very real, very palpable, practical benefits for the laymen when hunting, even for the folks that will never pull out a ballistics program or care to understand what BC means and how it helps them.

They just pull the trigger and see impact, hear the slap of the round on-target, without much recoil or muzzle blast to speak of, and realize there is a nice balance of performance coming out of such a small package.
    Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:25:12 PM EDT
    [#18]
    Doooo it!

Granite ridge
    Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:44:20 PM EDT
    [#19]
    Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:39:32 PM EDT
    [#20]
    Quoted:
    I like that price, but would want an adjustable gas block instead of a pinned one.
    View Quote
    Use an adjustable carrier or gas key.

I like pinned blocks, especially if they're press-fit and don't leak.

I got an Ultra 5 TBAC coming in that will be perfect for Grendel SBR.
    Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:37:47 PM EDT
    [#21]
    Quoted:

Use an adjustable carrier or gas key.

I like pinned blocks, especially if they're press-fit and don't leak.

I got an Ultra 5 TBAC coming in that will be perfect for Grendel SBR.
    View Quote
    Can the BA Grendel barrels be purchased without the pinned gas block?  

Thanks
    Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:45:16 PM EDT
    [#22]
    BA 6.5 Grendel barrels

I have no affiliation with them, other than having bought some through Brownell's for 5.56 upper builds ~2 years ago for a friend and his SonIL.

I was impressed with the fit, feel, and finish of their barrels.

My neighbor is happy.  I helped a few other friends build using BA barrels and they are happy.
    Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:59:23 AM EDT
    [#23]
    Quoted:
    purpose:  range fun, shits and giggles
    View Quote

After shooting some subs through my 18" 308 and Rugged Surge, the giggle factor was insane. So I decided to embark on a build to enjoy such a setup.

I decided on the JP PSC-12 KAC/Mega style upper. It retains the traditional charging handle and the non-reciprocating side charger which would come in handy for quicker hand cycling subs. It still allows me to use it with my SBR'ed Mega Maten lower. Seeing as how you mentioned this would be a pistol build for you, JP also makes the same upper that is compatible with LR-308 style lowers if that is your preference.  It comes with their Low Mass complete BCG, hence the price tag.

I'm going with an SLR adjustable gas block. It would let me completely cut off the gas, essentially with the side charger turning it into a bolt gun. Second, I would still be able to turn the gas up to cycle and shoot supers without thrashing the upper.

Currently, I'm comparing barrels and rails, but I've decided on a 12.5" carbine length barrel. I'm leaning towards SLR's 308 ION 11.7" MLOK rail. This, would put my Rugged Surge mounted almost flush with the end of the rail (A look I enjoy)

If you don't mind the size/weight of the larger platform, already have a 30cal can, and just want something for a fun range toy...a 308 Subsonic build might be just the ticket. Just know a few things going in; without modifications to the weapon, a 308 DI gun will not cycle subsonics. Also, the SBR 308 supers lose a hefty amount of their velocity. If you reload, there are some loads out there that can help make up for this but for many folks, the added weight of the platform and the ballistics of SBR'ed 308s is a turnoff. Seeing a fellow out here at Cowtown bang a steel plate at 1000yards with a 13" Barreled MR762 completely dispelled any of that for me

With whatever build you decide to go with, good luck and above all enjoy it!
    Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:53:21 PM EDT
    [#24]
    BA 12.5" Grendel is definitely the right answer. Cheap wolf ammo available, and awesome hunting ammo for under a dollar a round. Will do work on deer, hogs, coyote, and other critters.
    Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:02:54 AM EDT
    [#25]
    Quoted:

Can the BA Grendel barrels be purchased without the pinned gas block?  

Thanks
    View Quote
    You can just tap the pin out and i believe there are set screws on the bottom.  Unscrew them and take off the block and replace with a SLR Sentry or such.  I'm almost positive they aren't pinned like a FSB and are very easy to remove.

Adjustable carriers and Keys work too if you want to go that route.
    Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:40:14 AM EDT
    [#27]
    If you don't mind the weight, a 308 with a 12.5 inch barrel is something to consider. I reload 308 so went with a short barrel 308 AR (12.5 inch) pistol/AOW. Shoot 168 A-Max and 150 FMJ since these can be purchased in bulk. Packs one hell of a punch.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:45:25 AM EDT
    [#28]
    Quoted:

What thermal scope is that?
    View Quote
    IR Hunter Mark II 35mm
    Page AR-15 » AR Variants
    AR Sponsor: bravocompany
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top