Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2017 12:08:38 PM EDT
Haven't seen much talk about these http://dpms-gii.com/full.html#configurations.  I know nothing of current DPMS quality.  

Any thoughts on whether these are a viable .308 AR?  Any known problems?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA is moving to that type of AR-10 entirely in their new PX-10 line so they must be doing something right.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
i have the GII Recon and like it.

issues I experienced/changes made/etc

1. replaced handguard with Midwest Industries Keymod rail (waaaay lighter).
2.  removed suppressor adapter (it was on with rockset - soak in water).  Replaced with YHM adapter and run it suppressed 99.5% of the time and it is GTG.  I maybe get one FTE per session when shooting cheap Russian stuff (MFS, "Colt", etc).
3.  Bolt catch would not work properly with PMAG's, so I switched to IMI 20 rounders and they work great.  
4.  Have not looked recently, but hard to find replacement parts (BCG, barrel, etc) due to proprietary nature (but I Think this is an issue on all AR-10 type platforms).

I like it a lot.  However, I've since added a few 6.5 Grendels to the mix and barely shoot it any more.

I'd say "recommended" for a small frame .308 though.  Good luck
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks.  I am surprised to see the 16" barrels have carbine length gas systems.  I would have expected mid-length.

@jondelong I read somewhere that the barrel nut is smaller to allow AR15 handguards? I take it that's what you did?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The BCG is also a fantastic design.

Radiused lugs like the KAC E3, also undercut like the LMT E-Bolt.

Polymer extractor insert that will never fatigue.

Seriously the GII bolt is the best designed bolt I've ever seen.

I actually plan to get a PSA PX-10 when they offer one with something other than a SS barrel.

Also once PSA starts pumping out rifles it should be easier to get replacement parts as DPMS/Remington seem to be letting manufacturers develop stuff for their platform, almost like it's open source.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks.  I am surprised to see the 16" barrels have carbine length gas systems.  I would have expected mid-length.

@jondelong I read somewhere that the barrel nut is smaller to allow AR15 handguards? I take it that's what you did?
View Quote
this is what I bought:  LINKY

from memory, it came with everything needed

ETA:  I have been shopping for a new barrel and apparently the G2's use a weird barrel extension so you can't just drop in any ole' 308 barrel.  Just FYI

and...the GII Recon has a mid-length gas system
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My suggestion would be to build one.

Criterion 18"hybrid mid length DPMS aero M5
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My suggestion would be to build one.

Criterion 18"hybrid mid length DPMS aero M5
View Quote
to build a GII rifle, or to simply build any .308 AR?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The BCG is also a fantastic design.

Radiused lugs like the KAC E3, also undercut like the LMT E-Bolt.
View Quote
yeah, it looks rather stout.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
A local shop closed so I got an incredible deal on Gii AP4.  Have not had a chance to shoot it yet.  Fit, finish, and under the hood looks amazing.  My only criticism is that for the length of the muzzle brake it could have had a 18" barrel.  I would like to do a 18" rifle gas barrel, MI rifle length rail and a PRI front flip/ gas block on it soon.  Waiting for the aftermarket to catch up.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
spartacus2002 -

Thanks for your interest in the DPMS G2 line of rifles!

We have been producing them for about 4 years now and initially was a replacement for the legendary LR-308 line. Demand for the rifle high so you might not see them everywhere but production is increasing so availability will increase.

A word on the G2 line specifically.

We started the G2 project to improve the existing LR-308 rifle as we felt we can "build a better mouse trap". The main goal was increased reliability with 5.56 weight and size. That spiraled out of control and the end result is a overbuilt underweight auto-loading 308. The platform was in development for over 2 years before it was brought to market.

Some features that set the G2 apart are:

Forged monolithic bolt carrier - Stronger and lighter

Integrated gas key - Stronger with no loose screws or leaks

Improved bolt with Double ejectors and radius lugs - Added reliability

Exotic alloy extractor - Never wears out/indestructible

"Tactical Skittle" extractor spring - Never wears out/indestructible

Steel insert feed ramp - Never wears out/indestructible also allows smaller receiver set and increased reliability

AR-15 sized handguards/BBL nut receiver OD's - Smaller/lighter

In the world of AR's that all look the same it's what's under the hood that count's!

View Quote
@DPMS

Did PSA and others using the same looking system as the GII license it or was it a open source design type thing?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The DPMS GII is not an open source design.
View Quote
@DPMS

Thanks.

This can you say how these other companies are able to develop guns that looks very similar to your GII?

I noticed AA has a piston version that looks part for part like your GII, just with their op rod vs has tube.

This also helped me decide on DPMS vs the other.

Looks like I'll have to track down a GII I like.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The DPMS GII is not an open source design.
View Quote
well the px10 is a knockoff then.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Come on Raptor small frame charging handles!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been impressed with mine - I'm a big fan of the smaller receiver size.  Here's a pic of my modified GII Recon:

Attachment Attached File

-bob
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
well the px10 is a knockoff then.
View Quote
As is the Adams Arms.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Lightweight. Good price tag. Rugged design. Powerful.  

Want.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been impressed with mine - I'm a big fan of the smaller receiver size.  Here's a pic of my modified GII Recon:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/160/Bobs_DPMS_G2_Recon_01_zpssuehtzjm-274378.JPG

-bob
View Quote
I'm diggin' that like a shovel...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#20]
After having owned 5 different AR10s, I graduated to the point several years ago that if I'm going to chamber in something -08 sized, it isn't going to be .308 Winchester.

A lot of people still are on the .308 Winchester train, not having shot boat loads of it yet and intimately familiar with its strengths and weaknesses.

For the .308 magazine well guns, I like .260 Rem, 6.5CM, 7mm-08, 6mm CM, etc.

I kept one of my .260 Remington LR-260 custom builds, but I just honestly have not shot it in a long, long time now.

It's a beautiful, super-accurate rifle that slays a lot of bolt guns in the accuracy department, and certainly in the TGT-TGT transition department that I have used to rapid-fire multiple explosive targets or plate racks at distance with in demos or competition.

It's just a big, heavy rifle that isn't fun to pack up or load for due to size/weight, and brass life if you want the performance.

If a small frame receiver set would have been available when I had it built, I would have jumped on that.

Now that Hornady makes 130gr ELD-M factory load at an affordable price, the .260 Rem is much more accessible, but I still like the AR15 in the cartridge you all know I'm thinking about.

For those that are absolutely immovable from the .308 Winchester, I think the small frame guns are the way to go.

There's a forum member who builds custom rifles off the GII action with high-end pipes, ELGS, 6.5CM, nice set ups.  They posted some photos of many different barrels ready to go in some GII receivers.  Don't recall what their handle was.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been quite happy with my 20" G2 hunter. I Threaded the barrel, added slr adjustable gas block, slr rail and a larue MBT.  Gun loves the barnes 150g TTSX I use for hunting, got 1.8" group at 200 yards with it.  I would buy again.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I LOVE my GII Bull.  HAve handled the Hunter, SASS and AP4, they all handle amazingly light and quick.  Ive changed out a few things, still have to change out the handguard.  The aftermarket for handguards has been slow due to past market disruption, but is growing.  Mist everything else takes AR15 parts, and you know what a selection we have there.

The other recent option is the Savage MSR10, which I feel is a better stand-alone 'finished' rifle.  However, as its the New Hotness, its almost cheaper to just buy a cheap DPMS GII and configure it the way you want vs the MSR10.

Tho, I would still go with the DPMS/Remington GII.  As we saw with the DPMS GI, when there were a half-dozen AR10 patterns out there, the one that wins is who gets market saturation first.  Which generally means the cheapest entry into that market.  Which is the DPMS.  I suspect that in a few years, like now, 75% of aftermarket handguards, bolts. barrels. etc will be DPMS GII pattern.  As long as DPMS doesnt pull a Sony (betamax, minidisks, etc) and kill their own market.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a GII Recon last fall.

Didn't like the quadrail free float tube.  Had a devil of a time getting it off.  Someone used rocksett to glue the tube and the jam nut to the barrel nut.  They also used rocksett to glue the gas tube into the gas block and the gas block set screws into the gas block.  And the flash suppressor to the barrel (I think I understand the reason for that last one, but not the others.)

To make a long story shorter, I had the barrel off it, the gas tube/gas block off it (or loose) several time fighting with that flash suppressor while attempting to get the barrel nut off (tore it up pretty bad) so I could put the new free float tube and barrel nut on it.

I also replaced the gas block with a Superaltive Arms adjustable/vented gas block.

I also replaced the buffer tube/carbine stock and buffer/buffer spring with a rifle buffer tube, spring, modified rifle buffer (shortened it to work with the longer GII bolt/carrier) and an A1 fixed stock.

In spite of all the times I had it apart and back together, in spite of all the changes I made to the gas system and the buffer/stock system it ran 100% with SA surplus.  Not a single failure to fire/function during that time.

I'm into my third battle pack with only one malfunction.  A failure to feed on the second round of the first magazine on the last range session.  I had one round almost 2" high in that group but can't say for sure it was that first round (low on powder, maybe?).

So far, it's been great.  Just didn't care for the quad rail or all the rockset on every thread forward of the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got a DPMS GII Recon for a great price (moreso with the Remington/DPMS ongoing rebate), fired it twice, and my general Impression:  Awesome!  

Knight’s, DPMS, and Pro Mags work fine.  Magpuls work, but the Gen 3’s need some minor Dremel tool modification to the follower to reliably lock back the bolt.

This ain’t no 5.56 and my shoulder hurt after the first time out.  I replaced the stock hard rubber butt pad with a Limbsaver and WOW!  Second time out was a dream!

Fired first with 147/150 grain but it definitely likes the heavier M118LR/168 grain better.  Single holes at 25 yards and under an inch at 100 yards, which is fine since I’m not trying to snipe with this rig.  

I replaced the clunky stock Magpul MBUS front sight with the smaller Magpul MBUS PRO Sight and the rear sight with Knight’s 600M Flip Up Rear Sight. No issues.  Sighted in fine and easily rang the gong at 300 every time.  I wanted to run a Vortex 1-6X Strike Eagle as my primary optic.  It zeroed nicely although it was a bit heavy.   But my old eyes couldn’t easily adapt to the second focal plane reticle, requiring me to use my near-vision glasses on my shooting eye.  This does not promote quick shooting – “oh, wait, I have to put on my bi-focals!” so I switched to my old standby Vortex Sparc AR.  It zeroed quickly, focuses easily, and is terribly easy to shoot although it’s not for precision shooting.  It’s ONLY drawback is that it requires batteries, but these are only AAA’s, which I store in the pistol grip, and not the expensive 123’s or the hard-to-store 2032’s.

And the AAC 51T Blackout Flash Hider is just waiting for me to add to my stamp collection!  Pics to follow (maybe...)
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had the G2 Hunter for a good 3 years. Still love it. The handling and balance are awesome especially compared to other large AR's. It was a bit over-gassed like most large AR's so I put on an adjustable gas block. Also replaced the trigger with a Larue. For mags I've got the DPMS metal, Pmag 2/3 and the Israeli IWI. The IWI is my hands down favorite mag. With the Hunter (as with any AR) you can turn it into a heavy oinker if you don't watch the attachments. Put a 3 lb scope on it and your down-sized AR advantage disappears. However, mine with scope, loaded 20 rd IWI mag and sling weighs in at 8.7 lbs.

I'm convinced that 6.5 will serve my needs better than .308 so I'm patiently waiting for DPMS to produce the 6.5 Creedmoor or even .260 Rem. Then the .308 will get traded or sold. I've got plenty of other .30 cal rifles if I feel the need to launch a .308 diameter projectile downrange.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had mine for a little more than a year now.  I'm really impressed with the overall handling compared to my old LR308.  It started life as a bone stock AP4, but I ended up replacing everything but the receivers and barrel.  It now has a Magpul STR, Hogue grip, Geissele DMR, 15" SLR handguard, SLR gas block, and GA Minimalist Flash Hider for my GA Alpha/Paladine and F1 cans!  My intentions are to replace the barrel from a quality maker, but nobody seems to want to mess with the G2's barrel extensions.  Haven't decided on what length yet, as I'm not sure I'll gain much going longer than 16" versus handling.  

The only thing I don't care for is the accuracy.  I knew this going in with the chromed barrel it would probably not be a sub MOA gun.  My last AP4 was actually pretty darn accurate for a "DPMS".  With handloads, it was a sub MOA gun.  For now, 1-2.5 moa will be acceptable as most of my hunting situations are under 300 yards.

I just hope DPMS starts selling receivers and parts to better support this platform.  I feel its a winner and I'd like to see it gain popularity with more industry support.  I need to add a 6.5 Creedmore and possibly a 14.5" 338 Federal to my arsenal!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've had mine for a little more than a year now.  I'm really impressed with the overall handling compared to my old LR308.  It started life as a bone stock AP4, but I ended up replacing everything but the receivers and barrel.  It now has a Magpul STR, Hogue grip, Geissele DMR, 15" SLR handguard, SLR gas block, and GA Minimalist Flash Hider for my GA Alpha/Paladine and F1 cans!  My intentions are to replace the barrel from a quality maker, but nobody seems to want to mess with the G2's barrel extensions.  Haven't decided on what length yet, as I'm not sure I'll gain much going longer than 16" versus handling.  

The only thing I don't care for is the accuracy.  I knew this going in with the chromed barrel it would probably not be a sub MOA gun.  My last AP4 was actually pretty darn accurate for a "DPMS".  With handloads, it was a sub MOA gun.  For now, 1-2.5 moa will be acceptable as most of my hunting situations are under 300 yards.

I just hope DPMS starts selling receivers and parts to better support this platform.  I feel its a winner and I'd like to see it gain popularity with more industry support.  I need to add a 6.5 Creedmore and possibly a 14.5" 338 Federal to my arsenal!
View Quote
There are at least two manufacturers making off the shelf barrels, one of which is Rainier, and a couple more that will build you a custom barrel if you send them a barrel extension (available from several places).
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:53:31 AM EDT
[#28]
The upper receiver/barrel combos on DPMS' site shows them being in stock. GII parts availability is apparently *finally* getting to a point where more and more are available, which hasn't been the case since introduction.

Not sure about the whole licensing issue, but if I had to wager a guess, the reason there are no bare upper/lower receivers available from DPMS right now are because other manufacturers are getting them. Especially looking at the receivers others are making their guns off of. Can't imagine why something like the very specific cuts to the GII brass deflector would be mirrored by another producer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The upper receiver/barrel combos on DPMS' site shows them being in stock. GII parts availability is apparently *finally* getting to a point where more and more are available, which hasn't been the case since introduction.

Not sure about the whole licensing issue, but if I had to wager a guess, the reason there are no bare upper/lower receivers available from DPMS right now are because other manufacturers are getting them. Especially looking at the receivers others are making their guns off of. Can't imagine why something like the very specific cuts to the GII brass deflector would be mirrored by another producer.
View Quote
In the short term, it makes sense for DPMS to sell complete rifles via the traditional distribution models that are taking a dive on every other modular firearm design, since the GII is their own unique product that seems to sell very well.

I asked them about this when they introduced it at SHOT, and they said, "We've always been a parts company."

I suspect that statement was the product of pre-SHOT discussions where they brainstormed, "What are we going to say when all the builders ask for receivers, BCGs, and barrels?"

It leaves the door open for them to continue to run complete rifles with handguards nobody wants, then when a new entrant to the small frame market introduces a small frame parts kit, they're already set to do the same and make better margins, do more volume, and instead of taking the blame for things not working, leave it up to the builder to own it.

With the apparently licensed Adams Arms and PSA PX-10 guns, parts kits are on the horizon in my best guess.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

With the apparently licensed Adams Arms and PSA PX-10 guns, parts kits are on the horizon in my best guess.
View Quote
I've yet to hear any confirmation of that.  It would be interesting to know.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@DPMS

Thanks.

This can you say how these other companies are able to develop guns that looks very similar to your GII?

I noticed AA has a piston version that looks part for part like your GII, just with their op rod vs has tube.

This also helped me decide on DPMS vs the other.

Looks like I'll have to track down a GII I like.
View Quote
Stay as far away as possible from the AA version. My friend just got his upper back from them for the 2nd time. We took it out yesterday morning, and got 14 rounds through it with 3 FTE. He said fuck it and put it away and is going to try and send it back for a refund. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]
to give everyone an idea of what a G2 is here are 2 rifles set up with identical every thing.

G2 in 6.5mm Creedmoor. 10 lbs with a 8.5 oz rifle buffer.

Attachment Attached File

AR-15 in 5.56mm with standard 5.5 oz rifle buffer

Attachment Attached File

With the G2 you basically the full .308 size mag for less than 6 ozs weight penalty.

Add in a more reliable design than the LR-308 SR-25 design because the cartridge stack sits closer to the bore centerline.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had my GII MOE for 3 years now? Well over 5000 rounds through it, mostly surplus ball with WOLF Military Classic and PMC Bronze thrown in. A very nice, reliable rifle. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#35]
John,

Is that an Aero ambition bolt catch and release lever adapted to a GII lower?  If so, that's awesome if it works.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
John,

Is that an Aero ambition bolt catch and release lever adapted to a GII lower?  If so, that's awesome if it works.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309674/IMG_20170623_142108294_HDR-280311.JPG
View Quote
Yes but the catch/ release is actually the Teal Blue Bravo PDQ. Aero has installed some of the PDQs.

Remington Defense has a a similar ambi bolt catch/release on their billet G2.

I had to modify it to get enough travel and it works fine but I want a bit more travel.

PMAGs still need the follower altered to fully lift the catch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes but the catch/ release is actually the Teal Blue Bravo PDQ. Aero has installed some of the PDQs.

I had to modify it to get enough travel and it works fine but I want a bit more travel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
John,

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309674/IMG_20170623_142108294_HDR-280311.JPG

Is there any relief cut into the bottom of the brass deflector for easy access to the top of the PDQ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought an ap4 and use an omega on it. It's overgassed, but with a spikes T2 buffer in an A5 tube with an armalite rifle spring it's fine suppressed or unsuppressed. Pmags will not run worth a damn suppressed, but the factory mags work fine. Pmags are fine unsuppressed, if you modify the feed lips and follower, but I find it easier just to stick with factory mags. The pencil barrel makes the rifle extremely handy and it groups moa with fgmm. The MI rail is gtg also.

Attachment Attached File
GII

AP4 on the bottom, 20" A2 on the top for scale.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Is there any relief cut into the bottom of the brass deflector for easy access to the top of the PDQ?
View Quote
With the DPMS forged uppers it is a bit tight but still works well.

Our billet upper have plenty of clearance and enough shell deflector to keep brass off your face when shooting left hand.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top