Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2017 12:18:23 PM EDT
Looking at one of these ATM:
https://armalite.com/shop/defensive-sporting-rifle-10/

But despite them having been out for about 3 years now, I'm having trouble getting reviews to come up on the google.

I want a lightweight (light as possible) 308 semi, that is cost effective (wanna take it hunting and not feel bad beating it up a bit) accurate (happy with 1.5 Moa), and most important RELIABLE, especially suppressed.

my last experience was a bushmaster 16" mid length which never ran reliably for me no matter what combo of suppressed, unsuppressed, gas block, ammo, and buffer was in it.

Lifetime warranty on this has me optimistic however. though I am slightly weary of the mid length gas based on my last experience.

whose got one, or who knows where to find an honest review. bonus points for suppressor reliability notes

Thanks arf!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My Armalite AR 10 has been 100% reliable from day one. It's about 10 years old now. Generally run a variety of factory ammo as I don't really go blasting with it so no real need to reload for it atm. Mostly a hunting gun, and I try to get 200 or so rounds a year at 300-500 yards to keep my hand in a little longer range shooting. I have never heard of any significant CS issues with Armalite over the long haul. Plus, if it turns out you don't like the rifle, its resale value will hold up over time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool thanks for the input. You run it suppressed? Rifle gas or mid?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 16" B-model that uses the old steel mags but is otherwise almost identical to yours.  It and my 20" B-model have delivered anvil-like reliability shooting everything from 150g to 168g varying types of ammo, though I haven't used any steel .308.  There are other good .308 AR's, but Armalites have definitely been one of them to deliver on durability and reliability.

As far as weight, my 16" has an Armalite pencil barrel, but I wouldn't expect too much as far as categorizing either of my AR10's as lightweight.  And frankly until you install a bunch of exotic light weight components on a full frame AR10 or get a Gen II DPMS based AR .308, they're all going to be relatively heavy.  Frankly, I really wish they'd get the performance and reliability nailed down on the DPMS Gen II design, because it would be great to have a decently light 6.5 to .308 AR10 platform.  I think they'll get there, but reports here and elsewhere aren't where I'd like to be at the moment.  Some aren't having any issues and some are.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Rifle gas and no on the suppressor. If the HPA passes then I'll get a can or two. Until then no.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got an Armalite Defender 10 and love it.

It is light weight, sort of.

Ran about 80 rounds through her yesterday.
Ran 100% with three different pmags.

I mounted the Accupoint on it and zero'ed it at 50 yds.
Accuracy seemed very good.

Next range trip will check out how it groups at 100 & 200 yds.

Now I'm shopping for a muzzle brake.

I follow up with a pic later tonight.....
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 16" B-model that uses the old steel mags but is otherwise almost identical to yours.  It and my 20" B-model have delivered anvil-like reliability shooting everything from 150g to 168g varying types of ammo, though I haven't used any steel .308.  There are other good .308 AR's, but Armalites have definitely been one of them to deliver on durability and reliability.

As far as weight, my 16" has an Armalite pencil barrel, but I wouldn't expect too much as far as categorizing either of my AR10's as lightweight.  And frankly until you install a bunch of exotic light weight components on a full frame AR10 or get a Gen II DPMS based AR .308, they're all going to be relatively heavy.  Frankly, I really wish they'd get the performance and reliability nailed down on the DPMS Gen II design, because it would be great to have a decently light 6.5 to .308 AR10 platform.  I think they'll get there, but reports here and elsewhere aren't where I'd like to be at the moment.  Some aren't having any issues and some are.
View Quote
Excellent thanks! 165/8 are my favorite 308 weights.
Completely agree with you on those GII's. Ive handled them, and I really want to like them. the wight loss feels great,  and they feel like a step in quality from previous DPMS items, but inconsistent relability is going to keep me away

no chance youre running the 16 middy with a can?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rifle gas and no on the suppressor. If the HPA passes then I'll get a can or two. Until then no.
View Quote
Id really like rifle gas, but I think I'm going to end up going with the 16 middy to keep weight down anyway.... especially when you hang a can on the end. the further away it gets the heavier it is after a days hike.

Speaking of suppressors, you're missing out by not grabbing one. they make shooting more fun and easier to introduce to new kids/people, sure the BS tax stamp and "background check waiting period" is complete and utter contempt of the common man, but such is the system, and one you've got one in your hands, its really not a factor any longer.  plus right now given the 41p/f horse manure, prices are at rock bottom due to the lack of sales, with discounts, rebates, and free swag and and even tax stamp credits/coverage sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a Armalite AR10 DSR and yes I could not find any reviews or anything bad on the net.  I was looking at a LMT or Scar but did not want to spend the big money for a rifle that cost to feed it.  So far my Armalite shoots great and no issues.  The design is simple and I like the forge upper and lower compared to the billet builds.  From a distance you could think it was a 5.56 rifle and the fit and finish is excellent.  The only thing I have changed was the pistol grip which I added a BCM MOD 0.  I put on a Matech rear sight and GG&G folding front sight that works with lower gas blocks.  I shot with irons and threw on my Aimpoint T2.  I am looking at the Acog TA31 ACSS which is great since it can be used on 5.56 and 308.  My rifle did come with the 25 round Pmag even though Armalite website says 20 rounder.

Armalite AR10??? Link

New first shots
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Excellent thanks! 165/8 are my favorite 308 weights.
Completely agree with you on those GII's. Ive handled them, and I really want to like them. the wight loss feels great,  and they feel like a step in quality from previous DPMS items, but inconsistent relability is going to keep me away

no chance youre running the 16 middy with a can?
View Quote
Yes, my 16" is a middy, and I do shoot with a can most of the time...never shoot my 20" with the can for some reason...maybe just a length and weight thing.  I have a JP adjustable gas block on the 16", but I've been quite surprised how the rifle seems to do fine with and without the can with just a "happy medium" adjustment on the block.  I don't shoot any subs...have a 300BO for that.  I'm using a SilencerCo Hybrid on the 16" that works great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I think if you search buy the model number DEF10 you'll get a lot more results, but everything I've seen is positive
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

With Magpul furniture, Trijicon TR24G, LaRue mount & ALG trigger.

LaRue MBT trigger is ordered ??

Shoots great and is my new favorite  7.62 NATO auto loader
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, my 16" is a middy, and I do shoot with a can most of the time...never shoot my 20" with the can for some reason...maybe just a length and weight thing.  I have a JP adjustable gas block on the 16", but I've been quite surprised how the rifle seems to do fine with and without the can with just a "happy medium" adjustment on the block.  I don't shoot any subs...have a 300BO for that.  I'm using a SilencerCo Hybrid on the 16" that works great.
View Quote
That's fantastic news. By far the best confirmation I've gotten so far on my goals with this project. I've actually got an adj gas block in th parts bin. Well see how it shoots and if I need to add that or not
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46283/IMG-0924-245307.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46283/IMG-0922-245306.JPG

View Quote
I like it. Love how clean and simple it is. Probably what mine is going to end up looking like when I'm done if I go this direction. Except maybe green furniture

How do you like that tr24? Tr26 is on the short list of possible next Optics for me. Though the 308 will probably get a 2.5-10 or similar
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I do like the TR24.

Mine has the #4 German cross hairs with green 1 MOA dot.

I selected it because I thought the finer aiming piont had a wider variety
of applications, like hunting.

If I had a "do over" I'd get a TA11 maybe.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46283/IMG-0924-245307.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46283/IMG-0922-245306.JPG

View Quote
Im digging this set up.Simple and it works.

Does a standard mid length AR15 Magpul HG fit or do you have to get a AR10 version
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#16]
The handgards are the standard AR15 mid length ones.

With some careful fitting it can be made to fit.

Had to go after the rear lugs with the dremel
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The handgards are the standard AR15 mid length ones.

With some careful fitting it can be made to fit.

Had to go after the rear lugs with the dremel
View Quote
Awesome,thanks.

I found a NIB Def10 for $750 shipped

Sitting here debating if i should leap into the AR10 rabbit hole or not
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Do it !!!!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#19]

They're pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Are you sure its an AR10 DEF?  Never seen them for 750.00 brand new maybe a DEF in 556.  I searched for a long time before I bought mine and never could I find one cheaper then 900.00.  If it is 750.00 you better pick it up now.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are you sure its an AR10 DEF?  Never seen them for 750.00 brand new maybe a DEF in 556.  I searched for a long time before I bought mine and never could I find one cheaper then 900.00.  If it is 750.00 you better pick it up now.
View Quote
100% positive its a DEF10 A series.

I saw another one 2 weeks ago for under $750 NIB and a few others right at $800
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#22]
where at?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I was in the same boat when I was looking for a .308. I went went with the DSR and I couldnt be happier. Eventually I added a MI handgaurd and replaced the trigger with a RRA 2 stage. It has been an accurate and dependable hunting rifle.

Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
where at?
View Quote
Gunbroker.Use armalite 10 for a search instead of Def10 it pulls up more results

Someone bought it,but i have seen several go for under $800 recently.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#25]
See if Trip's Defense still has some.

Tripsdefense.com
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
See if Trip's Defense still has some.

Tripsdefense.com
View Quote
Not bad, $860 before shipping
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#27]
not bad, tks
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Gunbroker.Use armalite 10 for a search instead of Def10 it pulls up more results

Someone bought it,but i have seen several go for under $800 recently.
View Quote
Gotta make sure it isn't one of those stupid keyword deals where they "NOT: blah blah blah various makers blah"

They use keywords too liberally. Should be out in check, but I also haven't looked there in over a year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was in the same boat when I was looking for a .308. I went went with the DSR and I couldnt be happier. Eventually I added a MI handgaurd and replaced the trigger with a RRA 2 stage. It has been an accurate and dependable hunting rifle.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/14711190_10100166688567154_8633960289274341286_o.jpg?oh=bcf74d5ffccc2137bf991f6b24278d27&oe=59C60ABE
View Quote
what do your groups look like and were they significantly improved by floating it?

how do you like that handguard? looking for aftermarket hand guards, it seems options are fairly slim for armalite pattern.

I'm pretty much down to the midwest and the odin works and having trouble deciding. of course ill probably only float it if its not quite as accurate as I'm hoping and I think I can improve it enough...
only other option in my book was the aero, but I don't like how fat they are, so its probably a distant third
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I have Midwest drop in non free float rails.They are rock solid. The carbine rails were a tight fit putting them on. I think you`ll like them unless you`re determined to free float.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#31]
My roomie has a DEF 10 model A with an ACOG.....he's put a lot of rounds downrange and it just plain rocks.  A GREAT weapon.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Love my DEF-10

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a b model.  It is great.  If you put a can on it and want to shoot a lot for groups get a heavier barrel like the T model.  The weight of the can caused my second 10 shot group to open up some after the barrel was hot.  First 10 shot group was always the best.  Never a concern for hunting and my favorite hunting rifle with the can. I shoot 165 Hornsby btsp and they are accurate and devastating. Have a very accurate load with 130 grain Barnes that gives 200fps more in the 16" barrel but haven't tried on game yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a b model.  It is great.  If you put a can on it and want to shoot a lot for groups get a heavier barrel like the T model.  The weight of the can caused my second 10 shot group to open up some after the barrel was hot.  First 10 shot group was always the best.  Never a concern for hunting and my favorite hunting rifle with the can. I shoot 165 Hornsby btsp and they are accurate and devastating. Have a very accurate load with 130 grain Barnes that gives 200fps more in the 16" barrel but haven't tried on game yet.
View Quote
it is not at all for shooting groups. well not beyond proving capability. primarily, its for hunting, and general cheap surplus 7.62mm fun at the range the rest of the year. however, making it as accurate as possible would build the confidence, just in case that big elk steps out at 450, or to see if i can hit that steel at 7.

308 goals here are: lightweight (as possible),dependalbe (particularly suppressed), then accurate.  ideally id like it to be around 1-1.5 moa, better makes me happy, but its really third on the list of priorities. as far as the accuracy questions goes, however; basically I'm thinking that if it is 1.5 or better with my load of choice (150 or 165 barnes)ill leave it alone. if its two or bigger, which honestly i dont expect with a double lapped barrel and quality ammo in 2017, ill buy a hand guard and see if that produces the results i want. one of the 12" midwest units with a lighter gas block should keep the weight around stock and hit all the other bullet points as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought one last year for deer hunting. I love it! Although I only have a couple hundred rounds through it.  I originally put an extra leupold vxr 1.5x4 on it then one day drove  down to midwest industries! I bought a light weight handguard, low pro gas block, grip, charging handle, bcm stock and a leupold vxr 2.5-7 scope w/mount.  Now I really love the gun!  If I could do it never though I would just buy a complete .308 from midwest industries. I have 2 of their complete AR15s and both are perfect!
  I got a good deal on the armalite though so that's why I bought it.
 If you want pics I'll have to email because Photobucket isn't letting me post them.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top