Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 1:20:42 PM EDT
Are these guns reliable or not?  Is there a manufacturing series by serial number known to be better or worse?  What to look for in improvements over course of production if any?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend has one and likes it.  I would prefer an Arsenal AK or at least a CMMG version but I have a Mini 30 and its reliable just mags are dam expensive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
ignore this post
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is reliable.  I have a 14.5" with a M4 stock.  Runs great. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The Colt 7.62x39 Sporter rifles were a limited production run from the late 1980s to mid 1990s IIRC.

I first had my hands on one in the early 1990s.

There is a lot of engineering that Colt put into them that most manufacturers are unaware of, particularly the bolt, extractor, barrel extension, and barrel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Colt 7.62x39 Sporter rifles were a limited production run from the late 1980s to mid 1990s IIRC.

There is a lot of engineering that Colt put into them that most manufacturers are unaware of, particularly the bolt, extractor, barrel extension, and barrel.
View Quote
Are they reliable?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using mine since the early '90's on and off as a truck gun/ranch rifle. Once good mags were available from CPD and ASC it became a go to rifle for that application. I had the HBAR barrel turned down to 0.720" behind the gas block to reduce the weight. Mine is decently accurate, 1-1.5 moa with handloads and 2" moa with comblock stuff for 10 shot groups. It also doesn't seem to care whether bullets are .308 or .310/.311. It's just as precise with either.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are they reliable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they reliable?
I only have experience with 2 samples that I can recall.

Once we got AK mag springs inside the old CProducts mags, those mags were reliable.

When they first came out, mag capacity was limited and there were some pre-ban frankenmags, but no decent purpose-built mags from a reputable source.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one or two of the Colt Sporters in x39 back in the 90's. I remember one not being reliable with the factory mag and that cheap surplus ammo that came in a wood crate / 2 spam cans.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Had the upper off one that the lower had to be destroyed due to illegal conversion.  I put it on my Colt 614 FA lower and it ran GREAT in both full and semi. I even shot a 1000 rds of the East German training ammo with the plastic core through it and it ran great. it was picky about mags and you had to sort them for use in it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm shooting a 6830 Colt with around 1K thru the tube. It runs with zero issue provided the C products defense mags are used. The factory mag is not reliable nor are the Brownells steel mags or the franken ak/ar things. It will run the steel Russian stuff but I really don't like to shoot anything but brass SP as the rifle is used mostly as a hunting tool.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#12]
My first 7.62x39 AR was built with a 16" Colt Sporter barrel . It would not reliably cycle with steel cased 7.62x39, cases got stuck constantly in the chamber. I personally wouldnt buy another Colt Sporter in 7.62x39 when every other 7.62x39 AR barrel Ive owned since then ran reliably with no major stoppages like the Colt barrel
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had a Colt complete 7.62x39 upper for years. Never ran steel case ammo in it, just brass cased US made ammo or reloads. The factory 5 rd mags I didn't have any problems with. The aftermarket CProducts 30 rd were a challenge but I got them working really good. Short story is Wolf springs. AK springs helped a lot over C-Prod factory spring but Wolf is best. On the rest of the unit: surprising accurate, never a jam or ejection problem, no problems with bolts cracking. In fact I've never heard of a Colt bolt breaking unlike other brands. Well worth the extra bucks.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top