Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2017 10:02:40 PM EDT
I have a number of gen/m3 lr/sr pmags that will not drop free.  When new, empty or loaded, they drop easily.  After being loaded and warmed in the gentle Georgia sun, they bulge and do not drop.  Otherwise they work flawlessly.  

I prefer drop free at all times.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What rifle?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
It's an Armalite.  It started life as a Def-10.  It now has a twenty inch barrel with A-2 handguard.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's an Armalite.  It started life as a Def-10.  It now has a twenty inch barrel with A-2 handguard.
View Quote
I had the same problem with my Def10 with the PMags that came with it. Came with 3, none of them would drop free period. Loaded, unloaded, cold or hot.

I sold them, bought some newer ones from a newer batch, and they function flawlessly. When the Gen3 mags came out, there were a couple of issues that Magpul rectified after a few batches.

Try some newer ones, they should work. But i opted for the Lancer mags, and now have a 6 of those as my goto mags. Pmags for the range, lancers for when they HAVE to work. I haven't been keeping proper records after 1500rds, but ib think I'm over 2000 now and have not had a single failure yet.

I also only use domestic ammo, no surplus, nothing made outside of USA.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  I'll try some Lancers.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had the same problem with my Def10 with the PMags that came with it. Came with 3, none of them would drop free period. Loaded, unloaded, cold or hot.

I sold them, bought some newer ones from a newer batch, and they function flawlessly. When the Gen3 mags came out, there were a couple of issues that Magpul rectified after a few batches.

Try some newer ones, they should work. But i opted for the Lancer mags, and now have a 6 of those as my goto mags. Pmags for the range, lancers for when they HAVE to work. I haven't been keeping proper records after 1500rds, but ib think I'm over 2000 now and have not had a single failure yet.

I also only use domestic ammo, no surplus, nothing made outside of USA.
View Quote
+1 on the Lancer mags...I just got a couple 10 round mags (as, I can't be trusted with 20's in CO)

Absolutely love them, they're rock solid & reliable in both my LMT and Armalite Tac18.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  I haven't seen Lancer 308 mags but I'll dig them up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
They're not as popular because they're not cheap. Seems like the past few years, everyone wants to spend on their guns what they would spend at Macdonalds or walmart. Are afraid to pay for quality.

But you gotta find them. Order direct from lancer, dsg had them for awhile. They're around, but like you said, you gotta dig for them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Armalite AR10 DSR and it came with a 25 round Pmag Gen 3.  The mag drops free empty or loaded with no problems.  Now I have the 20 round Gen 3 Pmag and it will not drop free when it is empty but the 25 round mags have no issue.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting that the 25 round mags drop free.  I might try them.  I haven't looked for the lancer mags yet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I too have issues with about half of my 308 pmags not dropping free from a def10.  All my 25 rounders work as well as an Israeli 308 mag.  I want to try one of the new hex mags but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Tried a couple of lancers and they didn't drop free either.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Let me add more detail.  My 20 round gen 3 Pmags will drop free when testing with bolt closed and empty mag.  It will not drop with empty magazine and carrier locked back to rear.  The 25 round mags have no issues either way.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
LMT, had a 10 rounder do the same, dimensions off front to back, measured with calipers. Both 20's are fine though. The 10 also caused bolt drag, they must have had a bad mold? I will also pick up the Lancer magazines.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting that the 25 round mags drop free.  I might try them.  I haven't looked for the lancer mags yet.
View Quote
Pepper your Angus!

Lancers are the best ar10 platform mags but they aren't cheap. $40+ each last time I bought. Buy once cry once I suppose.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top