BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I really want to see a 6.5 CM in a 2A Xanthos receiver set with a CF barrel and lightweight parts. That's my dream semi auto Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]

bought some adhesive neoprene off amazon, it isn't even, but fuck it. Function over form!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4243/34615800804_105b04c99d_b.jpg

bought some adhesive neoprene off amazon, it isn't even, but fuck it. Function over form!
View Quote
I do that on all my rifle stocks.  Same stuff.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4243/34615800804_105b04c99d_b.jpg

View Quote
If you haven't had told me I'd have never known it was cockeyed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From a curiosity standpoint...will 6.5C fit the "small frame" AR10 receiver sets without feeding issues?
View Quote
6.5 CM feeds fine in the Gen 2 .

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

6.5 CM feeds fine in the Gen 2 .
View Quote
Need more info.  Pressure signs on the DPMS bolt?  What barrel?  What color cerakote?  Did you modify the PMAGs?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]
D'OH!! Photobucket has turned into a major PITA for me...

Is there a better website than Photobucket out there to post linked pics pf our 6.5 CMs?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
how do you get your cheek rest with that stock?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey BCV, can you delete that link of mine you copied?

Something is F'd up on my end...all I am seeing is a cheesy infomercial from Photobucket...

Thanks...

But to answer your question.  I'm going to build up a cheek rest with something similar to what the guy above posted with adhesive foam, and a lightweight plastic spacer of sorts...

For right now, I just winging it on cheek weld.

Any ideas on another website to link pics?...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I use flickr.

its easy to upload from iPhone and host them there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I load pics direct through ar15.com.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I load pics direct through ar15.com.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Need more info.  Pressure signs on the DPMS bolt?  What barrel?  What color cerakote?  Did you modify the PMAGs?
View Quote
Has HP bolt. DPMS bolt will pierce primers.

Grey KG not Cera.

PMAG follower are modified for bolt lock.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Has HP bolt. DPMS bolt will pierce primers.

Grey KG not Cera.

PMAG follower are modified for bolt lock.
View Quote
Who makes the HP bolt? 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Who makes the HP bolt? 
View Quote
JP Engineering

http://jprifles.com/1.4.7_Bolt.php?menu_select=HPbolts
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Right, but I don't think those are compatible with DPMS gen 2 barrels/carriers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Right, but I don't think those are compatible with DPMS gen 2 barrels/carriers.
View Quote
Correct on that. It also won't work with s few other new large frame 308s

KAC DID email me back about the SR25 in 260 Remington that's out there.

I'll assume it's a factory 4.6oz buffer and SR25 recoil spring.

KAC uses the A5 length extension so that helps.

LMT BCG came in today. BIG props to LMT for bring fast. I was told these wouldn't be in stock for another week.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]
What's the diameter of the hole for the firing pin?  Interesting dual ejector setup.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's the diameter of the hole for the firing pin?  Interesting dual ejector setup.
View Quote
.0625" on my cheap Chinese calipers
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
How often are you checking those buffer springs after adding weight.  I did that on a lr308 and trashed the spring quick.  I thought it was another issue as it began to unlock so fast it wouldn't properly extract cases.  I chased the ghost rather than pull and measure the buffer spring. I grease the spring, so I never want to remove it...  replaced it with a tubb CS flat wire and went back to the standard buffer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How often are you checking those buffer springs after adding weight.  I did that on a lr308 and trashed the spring quick.  I thought it was another issue as it began to unlock so fast it wouldn't properly extract cases.  I chased the ghost rather than pull and measure the buffer spring. I grease the spring, so I never want to remove it...  replaced it with a tubb CS flat wire and went back to the standard buffer.
View Quote
Mass of the buffer has no impact on a spring lifespan.  Cycles do.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#22]
K- Science me in an Im if you can, not to detract here.  I know cycles do, and presumed mass had an impact on the compression cycle as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Correct on that. It also won't work with s few other new large frame 308s
View Quote
So how did JohnBurns get one to run in his DPMS G2?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm about to finish a build as soon as my barrel and bcg get here.  Been a long time coming.

Here's a parts list with question at the end:

Mega Maten ambi receiver set.

JP MKiii 15.5" tube (should've been a Geissele, but they won't make one)

Geissele HSNM adjusted down to 2lbs (1.5 1st, .5 2nd)

BAD ambi safety

Raptor CH

Kreiger 22" hbar, threaded, in 6.5cm

Fulton Armory BCG with bolt matched to barrel

SLR adjustable gb

UBR

Vortex PST 6-24x50

ADM 20 MOA recon mount.

Atlas PSR

I have a slash heavy buffer for carbine tubes.  I'd initially purchased a Tubbs Flatwire spring to go with it.  During install I saw that the id of the spring was pretty close to the od of the buffer (the spring was tight on the buffer body).  Another issue was how much force it required to install that spring/buffer.

I've ordered one of slash's modified springs just in case.

I've been building and shooting AR15s for nearly 15 years, but this is my first large frame AR.  Does anyone see any issues?  Thanks for any help in advance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So how did JohnBurns get one to run in his DPMS G2?
View Quote
Just going with what I read a while back. Glad he did it.

Waiting on an H3 Buffer / LMT MWS action spring now.

I have 100rds of Hornady American Gunner in the mail too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

UBR
View Quote
I would get the PSR over the UBR for a precision gun. I think it's lighter and much more comfortable than the UBR. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I would get the PSR over the UBR for a precision gun. I think it's lighter and much more comfortable than the UBR. Just my 2 cents.
View Quote
I've got the UBR on all of my precision rifles.  It just works for me.

My primary concern is that the flatwire spring I got from Tubb isn't going to geehaw with the slash buffer.  I've ordered a slash modified spring just in case.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#28]
@JohnBurns

Any comment on HP bolts for G2 DPMS builds?  Is yours a custom 1 off?  I really like the idea of a light weight 6.5 hunting build but I've been worried about pressure issues.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@JohnBurns

Any comment on HP bolts for G2 DPMS builds?  Is yours a custom 1 off?  I really like the idea of a light weight 6.5 hunting build but I've been worried about pressure issues.
View Quote
Available very soon.

IM me for details.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been rounding parts myself for a future 6.5 build.  Any comments on how the ballistic advantage barrels are shooting.  This would be a precision rig.  I know Krieger and bartlein  etc are probably better but my builds are usually on a budget.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've been rounding parts myself for a future 6.5 build.  Any comments on how the ballistic advantage barrels are shooting.  This would be a precision rig.  I know Krieger and bartlein  etc are probably better but my builds are usually on a budget.
View Quote
Ballistic advantage barrels are amazing. For the price, they cannot be beat, hell even at any price it's tough to beat them. I'm a big fan.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm about to finish a build as soon as my barrel and bcg get here.  Been a long time coming.

BAD ambi safety

Raptor CH

SLR adjustable gb

UBR

Vortex PST 6-24x50

ADM 20 MOA recon mount.

Atlas PSR

I have a slash heavy buffer for carbine tubes.  I'd initially purchased a Tubbs Flatwire spring to go with it.  During install I saw that the id of the spring was pretty close to the od of the buffer (the spring was tight on the buffer body).  Another issue was how much force it required to install that spring/buffer.

I've been building and shooting AR15s for nearly 15 years, but this is my first large frame AR.  Does anyone see any issues?  Thanks for any help in advance.
View Quote
@rob78

Your build will end up nearly identical to mine, did you see my build thread on the previous page?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

Waiting on LMT's H3 buffer and action spring, then ready to roll. Ammo is here, and my mags are marked. Of course Midway packed the ammo in the box with bubble packing instead of paper, and the box fell, so I have these to figure out whether to shoot or not. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I would shoot them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I would shoot them.
View Quote
In a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1234-240522.JPG

Waiting on LMT's H3 buffer and action spring, then ready to roll. Ammo is here, and my mags are marked. Of course Midway packed the ammo in the box with bubble packing instead of paper, and the box fell, so I have these to figure out whether to shoot or not. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1246-240523.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85104/IMG-1245-240524.JPG
View Quote
I wouldn't let that stop me from shooting them. They will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I wouldn't let that stop me from shooting them. They will be fine.
View Quote
Ready to roll.

Attachment Attached File

Actually house work time
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@rob78

Your build will end up nearly identical to mine, did you see my build thread on the previous page?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BAD ambi safety

Raptor CH

SLR adjustable gb

UBR

Vortex PST 6-24x50

ADM 20 MOA recon mount.

Atlas PSR

@rob78

No, but I wish I had.  I've built 20+ ar15s, but only one of these.  Reading your thread would've saved me some time/money.  I ordered several things I had to send back since they weren't compatible.

I'll give your thread a look for sure.

@SCW

I hope I don't run into the buffer retainer issue like you did.  I don't have a lathe so I suppose I'd address it with an offset buffer retainer pin.  

The lack of feed ramps on the Mega upper was a concern, but I haven't see many issues with it online (2 instances exactly, both fixed by DIY ramps).  Hoping I don't have to mess with that much, but it's not a big deal to fix.  I don't think the the barrel extension has anything to do with the Bergers not chambering.  Odds are the shoulder is impacting the upper receiver below the extension ramps.  

My barrel, bcg, and gas tube arrive tomorrow.  I'll finish the build at that point.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The lack of feed ramps on the Mega upper was a concern, but I haven't see many issues with it online (2 instances exactly, both fixed by DIY ramps).  Hoping I don't have to mess with that much, but it's not a big deal to fix.  I don't think the the barrel extension has anything to do with the Bergers not chambering.  Odds are the shoulder is impacting the upper receiver below the extension ramps.

My barrel, bcg, and gas tube arrive tomorrow.  I'll finish the build at that point.
View Quote
That's exactly the issue.  I think the Bergers are just to thin at the middle to lift the case out of the ramp.  The other super high BC bullets will likely have the same trouble.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's exactly the issue.  I think the Bergers are just to thin at the middle to lift the case out of the ramp.  The other super high BC bullets will likely have the same trouble.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm... well, thank you for preparing me for the inevitable I suppose.  

Really hoping my BCG is long enough in the "tail" to compress the buffer when closing the receiver.  I really, really don't want to grind on my buffer.  I went ahead and ordered an offset buffer retainer pin ($15!!) just in case.

I've been saving/buying parts for over a year on this.  I really just want it to work when I take it out for barrel break in.

Thank you for directing my attention to your archived thread.  Lots of good info in there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hmm... well, thank you for preparing me for the inevitable I suppose.  

Really hoping my BCG is long enough in the "tail" to compress the buffer when closing the receiver.  I really, really don't want to grind on my buffer.  I went ahead and ordered an offset buffer retainer pin ($15!!) just in case.

I've been saving/buying parts for over a year on this.  I really just want it to work when I take it out for barrel break in.

Thank you for directing my attention to your archived thread.  Lots of good info in there.
View Quote
I'm sure we can get you taken care of around here on the buffer if you find you need it turned.  There's good machinists around here, and even if they are busy I'm sure I could take care of it for you.

Just watch as you close the two halves of the gun, on the angle the carrier will easily reach the buffer but as you close it the flat will shorten the length, you want the buffer to just barely kiss against the carrier when completely closed, where you can't see anymore.  So it's a bit of guessing about the contact, but your offset retainer should help a lot.

It's been a great rifle, very reliable and the most accurate loads were 123gr handloads using the Hornady Amax.  I don't reload anymore, but the 140gr stuff has been really good too.  Kreiger cuts their chamber for the Hornady profile, so all the H stuff should shoot really well for you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Don't mean to hijack, but maybe this helps someone else.

I've read of others using a Tubbs flatware spring with a slash buffer without issue.  Slash expressly states not to use one.

I found that the id of the Tubbs spring is nearly identical to the slash buffer od.  The spring is nearly impossible to install over the buffer.

I did it anyway a couple weeks ago and decided this morning to replace it with a slash spring.  Felt like the spring had far too much tension when pushing the buffer in. Took 20 minutes to remove the spring.

The slash spring is less than half the length of the Tubbs spring, but provides close to the same force.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Went out shooting. 20mph winds so I stuck to the 50. LMT's action spring is longer than the SR25, but squishier.

https://i.imgur.com/jNvwwO4.jpg

I had more problems with my Lancer magazines, so I stopped using it. The LMT spring did not have enough oomph to strip the 6.5C rounds from the Lancer, and they all nose dived.

Primers look great. Rounds ejected st 430, and the shell deflector left some dents in the cases.

7rds from the bench at 50
Attachment Attached File

10rds from the bench at 50
Attachment Attached File

10rds from the ground at 50
Attachment Attached File

I might try using LMT'S buffer with the SR25 spring.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had good luck with Sprinco Red springs.  A little more oomph than Armalite 308, DPMS Rifle and Tubb flatwire 308 springs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

One of our machinist put this together last fall.  2A Zanthos set. 2A XRSC hand guard, 2A Bolt and carrier, 2A gas block, 2A takedown pins, CMC trigger,6.5 CM Proof Research barrel, GemTech can. and Vortex optic. We not only build our own parts in house on our equipment. We shoot them also. Everyone here at 2A is committed to ongoing improvement.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/395355/6-240492.jpg
View Quote
That's awesome. I built a 6.5 Grendel using mostly 2A parts and I'm extremely happy with it. Tough, light, and sexy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#47]
For what it's worth, I left my rifle with two armorers who ran some 140gr American Gunner through it. In their opinions, the rifle had the best results with the KAC (H2) buffer and LMT spring. The rifle had consistent 3:30 ejection and the cases weren't beat up from the shell deflector. They also felt that the lighter follower and softer spring yielded the most controllable and isometric recoil impulses between ejection and chambering a round.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Stopped by Mile High Shooting in Erie, CO yesterday.

Picked up a new shooting bag and I'm excited about it. Haven't seen one like this before. I'll post some pics tonight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stopped by Mile High Shooting in Erie, CO yesterday.

Picked up a new shooting bag and I'm excited about it. Haven't seen one like this before. I'll post some pics tonight.
View Quote
I love stopping in Mike High - great group of guys
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top