Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2017 8:49:20 PM EDT
Yes, I am that oddball.

i have various SBR's/various calibers and have been looking for a Grendel barrel but I am curious why no 14.5"?  I should add that my goal is a suppressed hunting rifle that is still handy and compact enough to not be an issue in dense woods or climbing into stands or exiting vehicles when night hunting.  

I have a 12.5" 6.8spcII and 12.5" 556, just don't feel like adding another 12" rifle to the stable.  One of my fav rifles is a 14.5" 556 that is just the right length suppressed for me. 

Am I crazy for wanting a 14.5" Grendel? 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yes, I am that oddball.

i have various SBR's/various calibers and have been looking for a Grendel barrel but I am curious why no 14.5"?  I should add that my goal is a suppressed hunting rifle that is still handy and compact enough to not be an issue in dense woods or climbing into stands or exiting vehicles when night hunting.  

I have a 12.5" 6.8spcII and 12.5" 556, just don't feel like adding another 12" rifle to the stable.  One of my fav rifles is a 14.5" 556 that is just the right length suppressed for me. 

View Quote

Easily accomplished by sending the barrel to a shop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I am that oddball.

True but I guess I am asking more along the lines of is it worth the extra 2-2.5 inches? 
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Going from a 16" 6.5 Grendel to a 14 1/2" 6.5 Grendel you'll loose about 30-40 FPS.  Generally the 6.5 Grendel looses about 20 FPS per inch but the shorter the barrel the more FPS per inch you loose.   At one time Alexander Arms sold some 14.5" barrels and claimed it was one of his favorites.   If your going to use this on a pistol or SBR I think it would be viable.  I personally don't like pinned and welded FH to make legal length for a rifle.  I'd just as soon have the extra velocity for the length and having a removeable FH.  

If you use a thread protector when not suppressed you'd be pretty close to the overall length of a 12.5" barrel with FH or muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

True but I guess I am asking more along the lines of is it worth the extra 2-2.5 inches? 
View Quote
With the very low velocity drop, I can't see a reason not to if you have a desire for a 14.5
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm still on the lookout for a
lightweight 14.5"
Mid length gas
5/8 x 24 threaded
6.5 Grendel barrel

X-Caliber Ar barrels
I'm leaning toward these guys because of the amount of options , but i'm still looking

also don't mean to hijack the thread
but what type of 6.5 Grendel are we supposed to use  type 1 or  type 2 ?
what barrel twist  ?
6 grove or 5r ?

I'm trying to run a lightweight, suppressed, pig killer
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm still on the lookout for a
lightweight 14.5"
Mid length gas
5/8 x 24 threaded
6.5 Grendel barrel

[url=http://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel
I'm leaning toward these guys because of the amount of options , but i'm still looking

also don't mean to hijack the thread
but what type of 6.5 Grendel are we supposed to use  type 1 or  type 2 ?
what barrel twist  ?
6 grove or 5r ?

I'm trying to run a lightweight, suppressed, pig killer
View Quote
I am looking for the exact same style of barrel.  Would be interested to hear what people think.  Also, where should i get a 6.5 grendel bolt from that would fit the type 2?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were buying a 14.5" 6.5 Grendel I'd get SAAMI chamber with .136 bolt, a 1:8 or faster twist if available.  Alexander Arms found from testing shorter 6.5 Grendel barrels performed better with faster twist.  AA used a 1:7.5 twist IIRC on 16" and 14.5" 6.5 Grendel barrels.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, I am that oddball.

View Quote
I've been waiting 2 years for somebody to make one. There are a couple available that have M4 profiles, but I'm not interested in that.

Hoping Faxon or BA will get around to it one of these days. Don't really wanna spend $350 on an xcaliber nitrided 4140 barrel. Been hoping for something in the $200-250 range. Something for HD and classes that'll happily eat Wolf steel case
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Going from a 16" 6.5 Grendel to a 14 1/2" 6.5 Grendel you'll loose about 30-40 FPS.  Generally the 6.5 Grendel looses about 20 FPS per inch but the shorter the barrel the more FPS per inch you loose.   At one time Alexander Arms sold some 14.5" barrels and claimed it was one of his favorites.   If your going to use this on a pistol or SBR I think it would be viable.  I personally don't like pinned and welded FH to make legal length for a rifle.  I'd just as soon have the extra velocity for the length and having a removeable FH.  

If you use a thread protector when not suppressed you'd be pretty close to the overall length of a 12.5" barrel with FH or muzzle brake.
View Quote
Yep, it would be going on a pistol lower with a KAK and side saddle like this.  I would be using a Griffin threaded muzzle brake for a form 1 DIY Ti canAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a mid 14.5 criterion 5/8x24 from Precision firearms. It took about 5-6 months but I wasn't in a hurry.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top