Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is the problem; what is the lead time and manufacturing time (the when).  Reading some posts from here regarding the first 12" group buy, some people waited over 6 months for the barrels.  I don't care about the length of time to a point but want to know WHEN I should expect to have my barrel in hand.

I believe you posted in the group buy forum asking a ordering question as well.  Let's see if it gets answered unlike other posters who asked similar questions throughout other group buy threads.

I don't doubt Faxon will fix it but what does it do to the rest of the group buy's time frames?  I didn't get in the 20" group buy because of the lack of information on the when part of the group buy.
View Quote
I hear you on the time frame thing, I don't want to wait for months/years for a barrel, I would just as soon have it in a few days.  You only have so long to contest things with paypal if something goes south too.

I was in on the second bolt group buy and it was fine, took about 5 weeks which is roughly what was stated.  I know in the one 12" buy they did their normal rifling instead of 5R which kinda hosed their estimated timeline.

I like how the group buy barrel is heavier than a gunner but lighter than a heavy (fluted or otherwise) and it is $30+ cheaper than the gunner.

The inner manufacturing engineer in me says when I have the plant set up to run 12" Grendel barrels to run all the 12" Grendel barrels on order so I don't have to pay setup twice... and it would also be tempting to run the 20's while the reamer and 5R stuff is out and they are set up for the custom engraving but that is just me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thing is as long as you have the proper bolt depth they will all fire 6.5 grendel ammo safely.  Anything labeled 6.5 grendel will use a .136 bolt face depth.  The lbc's 264 sporter etc etc might use the .125 or .136.  But I haven't seen any barrel sold as 6.5 grendel or 6.5 grendel 2 that doesn't use the normal .136 bolt face depth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my problem with all the other variants. Makes it hard to piece together a gun, and ammo shopping gets confusing. If someone wants to innovate, they should make something new, not slightly tweak the Grendel and start selling stuff as "mostly almost identical." Standards exist for a reason.
Thing is as long as you have the proper bolt depth they will all fire 6.5 grendel ammo safely.  Anything labeled 6.5 grendel will use a .136 bolt face depth.  The lbc's 264 sporter etc etc might use the .125 or .136.  But I haven't seen any barrel sold as 6.5 grendel or 6.5 grendel 2 that doesn't use the normal .136 bolt face depth.
Unfortunately there are barrels marked 6.5 Grendel (SAAMI Spec chamber) that have been chambered to use .125 bolt (X39 bolt Type I by BHW nomenclature).   JSE Surplus is selling them as well as AR15part.com but both state they require a .125 bolt.  I wish it weren't so but it is, buyer beware.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
A pic on a poll taken on a Grendel board with over 4000 Grendel owners. The question what barrel do you recommend new shooters get for price and quality. Satern is #1 and Black Hole Weapon #2 with half the votes of Satern. Alexander Arms does not make the top 15.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember that site.  Circular firing squad of opinions in a vacuum.

Considering that it is run by a member banned from at least 3 different boards, this one included, for voicing clearly biased and ill-informed opinions, I can safely say that your sample is statistically skewed and, therefore, irrelevant. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course it is if its not AA its an attack on AA with someone with a vendetta. AA is the favorite of internet pontificates and debaters and Satern and Black Hole Weapons are the favorites of those that actually buy barrels and shoot.  Were all the poeple complaining about bullets getting stuck in AA barrels part of a vast antiAA conspiracy?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know how you think you can be taken seriously, when a simple cursory check shows that there is literally a continuous group buy from Satern running at any one moment. It takes no great leap of logic to see the sample has been constantly seeded.

I happen to own two BHW barrels, and have no dog in this fight.  It is clear you cannot say the same.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are the facts from the actual owners of AA from the last couple months only. So you say AA is the safest bet? Really?

Pajasonc
4-10-2017
"Looks like I got a short chamber
Bought a AA 18" fluted barrel, got the upper together and the first round was a little hard to chamber. I didn't think much of it and rechambered it and it fired fine. Ran a box of sst's and Amax's out of it and everything seemed to be fine, I have also ran another 100 rounds of wolf steel case. Yesterday I was at the range and first round didn't chamber again only this time I could get extractor to grab the round and it was stuck. Got home and used a cleaning rod to unstick it. Wasn't stuck bad at all.
Tried the trick of seating the round with my finger and see if it falls out on its own. Wolf falls out under gravity but the hornady rounds will not come out even with a hard slam on the butt of the gun. Doesn't take much to get them to drop free with the cleaning rod but I noticed a ring around the top of the bullet Like the chamber was scratching the bullet. I assume this is a short chamber which really sucks since I will more than likely have to pull the barrel and ship it back to AA. Then put it back together when it comes back(after who knows how long) I have read a lot about short chambers lately, maybe the Grendel 2 chamber is the way to go."

Texkitch
4-10-2017
Me too. Is this the compact
I just bought a 16" AA fluted and it also appears to be a short chamber. I had some similar difficulties extracting the first few unfired rounds which I had hand loaded to COAL of 2.260". I read some posts on the measurement techniques and using rasp65's slotted case technique I came up with these COALs in the picture when I just touch the lands. I am planning to just experiment with jump distances to find what's best. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Shcrambo
4-11-2017
I just got my AA 18" and bolt this week, so I just ran out to the man cave and measured it at 2.29" with the gauge... Dropped in some Wolf, which fell out by gravity, dropped 2 hand loads at 2.26" and 2.27", both stuck with no gravity drop, but ejected fine... Hopefully I can shoot it this week and have some results to share...

1911man
My 16" lite is doing the same thing and I have measured everything and confirmed my chamber is short. The "ring" around the bullet is most likely the marks from the rifling because your bullet is touching the lands. I used my hornady measuring tool to confirm ELDs are touching the land at 2.245 in my barrel. Mine also chambers and shoots the shorter bullets like the 110 wolfs and the 90 TNTs better seemingly because those rounds arent pressed up against the lands like the my boxed ELD AMMO is. I have decided to just keep it like this and just load all of my hand loads shorter to see if I can come up with a decent load.

Macht
4-11-2017
I had this same issue with an Alexander Arms barrel several years ago. I had it re-chambered by my smith.

worthen86ford
4-16-2017
ook my brothers new build out to the range yesterday. Shot well but notice that we had to use the FA several times on mag changes. Went to clear the rifle on a cease fire and had to motar the charging handle to get the round out. It pulled the bullet, powder got everywhere, and had to clear the bullet with a cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Retro
04-21-2017
Weird Trouble with New Gun
I just finished building a new Grendel with an AA 16" barrel, Surplus Ammo and Arms billet upper, Faxon group buy bolt, Nickel Boron bolt carrier, Cerro forge 80% lower, Velocity 3* trigger, A2 stock, Odin tunable gas block with mid length gas tube. I lapped the upper and then bedded the barrel.
Took it out to fire today and had some odd problems. First it wouldn't pick up a round from the magazine and chamber it. OK, changed out the mag. Still wasn't picking up a round. I loaded a single round and it did't want to chamber correctly, didn't want to go into battery. I kept working with it and got it to accept a few rounds and when it did it's accuracy was great. I tried it with new Hornady ELD's and my own reloads (both were 123gr). It didn't seem to matter some it would take and others it wouldn't. Then it would pick up a round or two and then jam and not go into battery. Some of the ammo got stuck in the chamber some didn't. However, none of it would fall out with just gravity.

cb4017
04-21-2017
I just had a similar problem. The round would be picked up from the magazine and chambered but the bolt would not go into battery. My extractor on the bolt was too tight. I removed the o-ring off the extractor spring and that fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
JuanC
05-05-2017
Any updates on this post. I'm having a similar problem with my 18" AA barrel. My bolt won't go into battery and if I put some hornady in the chamber they don't come out easily. My bolt teeth have been smashed also.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't know how you think you can be taken seriously, when a simple cursory check shows that there is literally a continuous group buy from Satern running at any one moment. It takes no great leap of logic to see the sample has been constantly seeded.

I happen to own two BHW barrels, and have no dog in this fight.  It is clear you cannot say the same.
View Quote
So your saying that its not fair because there are to many happy Satern customers that recommend satern to others?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright sooo if I want to wait a bit Faxon or Ballistic Advantage should have theirs soon or if I want to have it now (which I dont have cash for atm) go with Satern

Buying a Satern barrel from brownells with a gas block, tube, flash hider plus a couple mags im only looking at $400  not to bad ID still keep my Aero upper and rail system but I dont have the cash right now to buy it so I might just wait for faxon or BA to come out

thanks for all the great info in this thread. Grendels can get a bit confusing with all the mixed up terminology
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Nuttinfutz do you still have the same opinon that you had in 2014 of the danger of short throats? Funny how no one is warning anyone of the danger when its AA with short throats.

"I personally wouldn't attempt to shoot any of those barrels (at least with a load that won't go fully into battery) for any amount of money. If the problem isn't a short throat, then headspace is the only other possibility. Either way, I seriously disagree that the range is where it needs to be resolved."
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nuttinfutz do you still have the same opinon that you had in 2014 of the danger of short throats? Funny how no one is warning anyone of the danger when its AA with short throats.

"I personally wouldn't attempt to shoot any of those barrels (at least with a load that won't go fully into battery) for any amount of money. If the problem isn't a short throat, then headspace is the only other possibility. Either way, I seriously disagree that the range is where it needs to be resolved."
View Quote
Just what kind of straw man argument are you creating, here?  In this entire exchange, where have you seen me advocate a single product?  All I am pointing out is that you have obviously come in here with an axe to grind.  You must really be desperate to try something so cheesy as trying to quote my own words.  I stand by what I said then, and would say the same, today, if the same idiot was trying to convince people to "just shoot it". 

it really must suck to feel so compelled to keep coming back, again and again, to punch at shadows the way you do.  I truly hope you learn to take yourself a lot less seriously, and to relax. See you in the funny papers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

show me on the deer where the aa barrels touched you...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I didn't come in here with an ax to grind i came in to share community generated load data and was quickly attacked and lied about to the mods to get it shut down. Some forum searches and reading threads educated me real quick on what was going on. I talked to a few guys on other boards and they filled me in on the back story of "the genius" and his agenda. I then nuked it with plan open facts. The kind that can't be refuted they are so obvious and clear. So why not go on record that you think shooting short throated AA barrels is dangerous?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Well once the Faxon and ballistic advantage barrels are regular production items.

No one will be buying AA barrels.

Or any of the other brands for that matter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well once the Faxon and ballistic advantage barrels are regular production items.

No one will be buying AA barrels.

Or any of the other brands for that matter.
View Quote
Why? didn't they already screw up at Faxon with peoples barrels in a Grendel barrel buy? If they are using the SAAMI chamber won't they run into the same problems that are haunting AA?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Go on and link it up.

ETA: so one guy in 2014 that posted on several forums.

Got it.  
View Quote
There were a couple guys here with problems currently, not from AA, but problems with short throats.

I don't care enough to look for you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like the perils of subcontractors. The question is did Bill Alexander make it right?

All it takes is one bad batch and people will roast you. It's not logistical to test every barrel that comes through the door for correct throat. Head space sure but you would have to cast every chamber.

Besides I thought your reloading thread was moved to reloading forum.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Alright sooo if I want to wait a bit Faxon or Ballistic Advantage should have theirs soon or if I want to have it now (which I dont have cash for atm) go with Satern

Buying a Satern barrel from brownells with a gas block, tube, flash hider plus a couple mags im only looking at $400  not to bad ID still keep my Aero upper and rail system but I dont have the cash right now to buy it so I might just wait for faxon or BA to come out

thanks for all the great info in this thread. Grendels can get a bit confusing with all the mixed up terminology
View Quote
I have a 24" Brownells and I am happy with it.

It shoots 90grTNTs, 130gr OTMs, 140gr Nos CCs, 140gr Hybrids and 147gr ELDms all around an inch or less 8-16 shot groups.

Nice long throat so you can run decent loads. The headspace on mine is a bit long so with fire formed Lapua I get 37gn h2o case capacity. 

140 Hyb 14 shot group

140CC 15 shot group

147eld 8 shot

130otm 10 shot

140CC 16 shot group

90gr TNT 10 shot group
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds like the perils of subcontractors. The question is did Bill Alexander make it right?

All it takes is one bad batch and people will roast you. It's not logistical to test every barrel that comes through the door for correct throat. Head space sure but you would have to cast every chamber.

View Quote
The same complaints go back to 2011 its a reoccurring issue. That points to something more than a bad batch from a subcontractor to me. Yes other barrel makers have also had people with the bullet stuck issue all SAAMI. IMO its the compound throat something about it makes it hard to get right for a production barrel. Theres a reason that 99.9% of chambers use a parallel throat. The idea that it allows you to shoot the wide variety of bullets is false as guys are doing that with the Grendel II now and it does not have the compound throat. If you needed the compound throat then why does the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington and 6.5X47 Lapua shoot fine without it? It adds i think unneeded complexity to chambering. Guys what something thats just going to work in the field without bullets getting stuck and have to mortar out a stuck bullet at deer camp or the gun range after it kills a good shooting day. Imagine if the US Army had adopted the Grendel do you think that would be a good thing for soldiers to deal with in battle? This whole bullet stuck issue is what made Satern throw up there arms and ditch the SAAMI throat and use the Grendel II which actually is a older throat design from the pre-SAAMI days when the Grendel was still a wildcat. Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge who makes reemers said it would work better. Judging by all the groups that guys are posting and getting logged in the community spreadsheet i guess he was right. Guys using the Grendel II are not having these problems.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
The genius followed the thread over talking crap and throwing around crazy accusations about loads that never existed. He got the thread locked when i said he was full of crap.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The genius followed the thread over talking crap and throwing around crazy accusations about loads that never existed. He got the thread locked when i said he was full of crap.
View Quote
You mean you got the thread locked when you started name calling, as prohibited in the COC.  The mod was very clear in his warnings, which you chose to ignore.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why? didn't they already screw up at Faxon with peoples barrels in a Grendel barrel buy? If they are using the SAAMI chamber won't they run into the same problems that are haunting AA?
View Quote
They set the indexing pins too deep, nothing to do with cutting the actual chamber.

I have heard 0 issues with the 16" and first 12" Faxon group buys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#26]
and yet you think they will capture the whole Grendel market? Good grief.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
and yet you think they will capture the whole Grendel market? Good grief.
View Quote
I never said that nor think they will.  I do think they will gain a sizable portion of it as they have with other calibers but they are not going to choke everybody else out.

I was just saying that they have rave reviews on their previous group buys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow.... lots of drama here.  

I bought the Classic barrel mainly because I wanted to stick a toe in these waters and $80 wasn't too much of a commitment.    If it doesn't group well or if I have feeding issues I'll pony up the money for an Odin/Faxon/AA/BA or whatever flavor I become enamored with based upon the unsubstantiated opinions of people I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow.... lots of drama here.  

I bought the Classic barrel mainly because I wanted to stick a toe in these waters and $80 wasn't too much of a commitment.    If it doesn't group well or if I have feeding issues I'll pony up the money for an Odin/Faxon/AA/BA or whatever flavor I become enamored with based upon the unsubstantiated opinions of people I don't know.
View Quote
Please when you get it to the range start a thread and keep us posted on the results. Try several types of ammo from the cheap 100gr Wolf to 120gr Wolf and Hornady. The heavy profile in itself will help with accuracy and so will the 1/8 5R rifling.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Triggered Much?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Well we know whats wrong at Alexander Arms lack of attention to detail. Thanks LRRPF52 for clearing that up for us. So according to LRRPF52 AA must not be seeking excellence.

"The problem manufacturers encounter is a reamer past the end of its life for the throat but still chugging for the body see the compound throat creeping in on them, which results in projectiles jammed into the lands that will fire just fine, but if you go to manually extract them, you have to mortar the rifle in some cases.

Attention to detail and actively seeking excellence in your production avoids this problem. ".....LRRPF52

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I never had a problem with my 16" AA barrel other than I just didn't like the muzzle blast. Now my  .264 LB is more finicky than my old ER Shaw. And most of the people I know who have had problems with AA got them resolved. If the problems are as wide spread as your claims how is Bill still in business?

I'm kinda simple but I don't think people will return if you keep nailing them with a faulty product.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I was just reading through an old 123gr SST development thread and found another guy. These reports are everywhere but the fans play see not evil, hear no evil and speak no evil in regards to anything AA. That policy is backed up by the ban hammer over there as well.

skyfish
12-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Some quick measurements from my 18" AA Barrel. It is the standard barrel from several years ago in 18", not sure of maker.
Measured with comp: 1.666-1.668 (these are touching the rifling)
COL: 2.238-2.240 (touching, first test reloads are loaded at 2.230 or 1.58 on comp)
So according to others, my chamber is rather short. It is a compound throat, or at least should be from AA.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was just reading through an old 123gr SST development thread and found another guy. These reports are everywhere but the fans play see not evil, hear no evil and speak no evil in regards to anything AA. That policy is backed up by the ban hammer over there as well.
View Quote
Hardly, the only guy I have seen banned over there in the 7 months I have been a member was a raving lunatic that would never quit ranting about how much better his VPER was than an AR and every other post was trying trying to start an argument.

As far as issues go... more people run to their computer to complain about an issue than to say all is well with their rifle.  So you kind of have to take that into consideration too.

It is funny if it is enforced with the ol' ban hammer not to say anything bad about AA how is everyone pulling posts reporting issues from over there?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Why does everyone look the other way then with a steady drip drip drip over years of short throats from AA?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why does everyone look the other way then with a steady drip drip drip over years of short throats from AA?
View Quote
No one gives a shit anymore about the AA barrels or the ones you are pushing.

BA just went live with theirs. Now you will see massive growth of new 6.5 shooters due to the fact a well respected barrel powerhouse just dropped the bomb on the market.

This and Faxons offerings will own the market.

So watch the one off barrel companies fall to the wayside (Lijia not included).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not pushing any barrels and two new Grendel barrels will not own the market there will just be two new Grendel barrel offerings on the market. Time will tell if they are any good or not or if they are problem prone like AA. In general i recommend barrels with a longer throat like the Grendel II or 264LBC. If its SAAMI it needs to be verified that its not a short throat. People have had to send barrels back to AA multiple times just to get it right. Thats a problem. BA for Faxon could turn out to have the same problems after all is AA can't get the SAAMI throat right who can?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm not pushing any barrels and two new Grendel barrels will not own the market there will just be two new Grendel barrel offerings on the market. Time will tell if they are any good or not or if they are problem prone like AA. In general i recommend barrels with a longer throat like the Grendel II or 264LBC. If its SAAMI it needs to be verified that its not a short throat. People have had to send barrels back to AA multiple times just to get it right. Thats a problem. BA for Faxon could turn out to have the same problems after all is AA can't get the SAAMI throat right who can?
View Quote
Derp derp derp.

Two barrels? Shit there are multiple lengths and profiles - BA alone dropped 4 different ones today and Faxon has numerous profiles and lengths coming out.

What you have is big AR companies in the game now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Thats absolutely NOTHING new we have had that for YEARS. You just got a couple new guys that entered the market. Happens all the time. The Grendel is growing and thats going on all the time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thats absolutely NOTHING new we have had that for YEARS. You just got a couple new guys that entered the market. Happens all the time. The Grendel is growing and thats going on all the time.
View Quote
No existing grendel barrel provider has the size of either one of those by themselves let alone combined.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Satern
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Go back to the community that wants your shillery
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Satern
View Quote
there it is......@norcal
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
X2 nothing good is coming from beating this drum. People are still doing business with Bill so he must be doing something right.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Still torn on the Odin 18" vs. the BA 18".  Odin's a little cheaper in that it comes with BCG, adjustable gas and tube.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
So your saying your favorite company will take the whole market and i'm the one shilling? Your hopeless.  A couple new companies entered the market and thats a good thing. Time will tell if they shoot well and make good Grendel bolts that don't break.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Satern
View Quote

OldJoe/Starmetal, thatchoo?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Satern
View Quote
Talk about fiasco, it was Satern/Liberty short chambered SAAMI barrels sold to Midway and Brownell's.

Satern/Liberty blamed the poor SAAMI design and ammo for the issues with their barrels.  Satern/Liberty finally said they'd scrape the chambers at the buyers expense.  PF offered to fix these barrels for a reasonable price.  The way I see it Satern/Liberty has done plenty of damage to their image.  Top it off how they claimed the 6.5 Grendel was a flawed design and came out with Grendel II chamber because of their poor quality control.

Then you throw in manufactures like BHW using .125 bolts and calling them Type I and .136 as type II  which adds confusion.   I see why buyers prefer 6.5 Grendel SAAMI options to the variants.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Talk about fiasco, it was Satern/Liberty short chambered SAAMI barrels sold to Midway and Brownell's.

Satern/Liberty blamed the poor SAAMI design and ammo for the issues with their barrels.  Satern/Liberty finally said they'd scrape the chambers at the buyers expense.  PF offered to fix these barrels for a reasonable price.  The way I see it Satern/Liberty has done plenty of damage to their image.  Top it off how they claimed the 6.5 Grendel was a flawed design and came out with Grendel II chamber because of their poor quality control.

Then you through in manufactures like BHW using .125 bolts and calling them Type I and .136 as type II.  I seewhy buyers prefer other SAAMI options.
View Quote
That same fiasco is happening right now at AA with customer after customer getting short throats that can't load factory ammo and the silence is deafening. Satern did the right thing and ditched the poor design and went to a conventional throat and have not had any issues since. AA continues to have customers send back barrels some two times to get them fixed.  Heres a list of forum handles of people that have noted short throats with AA barrels in just the last couple months. It continues to grow.

worthen86ford
Pajasonc
JuanC
cb4017
Retro
Macht
Shcrambo
Texkitch

Satern fixed the issue with the Grendel II but AA continues to be plagued with short throats from the poor SAAMI design. Those are just AA customers if i added other barrel makers with SAAMI short throats the list would grow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

OldJoe/Starmetal, thatchoo?
View Quote
xcountryrider, I bet
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top