Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2017 9:47:26 PM EDT
I was at a 300 yard range today and was shooting some of my other guns but I brought my x39 AR along because it is so much fun and cheap to shoot.

I have a 3x scope on my x39 AR and I'd never shot it at more than 100 yards.  My scope is an Amazon cheapie, but it has a graduated reticle with cross hairs for 0-300, 400, 500, and 600.

I found that if you use the 500 reticle, you are almost perfectly "on" at 200 yards with 7.62x39.  I'm sure this would be the same even with a different scope, as long as it was set up for a 5.56 rifle.

I didn't try the 300.  I wish now I had.  But at least I can hit 200 yard shots with ease now.

I have several hundred rounds through this Radical Firearms upper, AIM bolt and carrier, and using ASC mags.  Still running like a top, no mods except removing the O-ring from under the extractor.  

Fun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Which scope are you talking about?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which scope are you talking about?
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1IS84N?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes those cheap scopes surprise you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
It got decent reviews on Amazon. It could have better eye relief, but it is bright and clear enough to be usable, and seems to hold zero pretty well. Can't beat it for the price.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sometimes those cheap scopes surprise you.
View Quote
Like when the reticle cants 45° after you break a shot, or when you open the box and it's already broken.

Do not buy $55 scopes.  They are failures from the outset, and a complete waste of your money.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Agreed. Cheap scopes are more toy than tool.I  will only use them on .22's and only if they were free. I won't buy one.

Nowadays I start shopping around the $400 mark and go up from there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Leapers T168 scope for $70 in 2004. Used it in Iraq during OIF2. 3500+ combat rounds and more in the back yard. Scope finally had it's first issue a month ago. Starting to fog up internally. Price might be an indicator of quality but not given.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I am interested with the Radical Firearms upper.  Was thinking of getting one in 7.62x39.  What are your thoughts on it so far?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Agreed. Cheap scopes are more toy than tool.I  will only use them on .22's and only if they were free. I won't buy one.

View Quote
I don't think you need to spend 400 to get a solid reliable scope.  I have nikon prostaff's that hold zero with average glass.  Also have a burris fullfield 2(usa made one) that is a pretty damn good scope for 200 bucks.  Also have a nikon monarch 3 that I got for 300 thats a good scope.  I think decent(reliable not good glass but decent glass ) start at around 125 and go up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Nikon's break with normal use, especially on a gas gun.

They are somewhat adequate on bolt guns.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nikon's break with normal use, especially on a gas gun.

They are somewhat adequate on bolt guns.
View Quote
My wife has a not so cheap Nikon on her muzzle loader that is done toast.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Like when the reticle cants 45° after you break a shot, or when you open the box and it's already broken.

Do not buy $55 scopes.  They are failures from the outset, and a complete waste of your money.
View Quote
Respectfully,  do not tell me what to buy unless I ask you. There are all kinds of threads on this site where people are asking for opinions about what optic to buy, but this is not one of them.

It certainly would be foolish to put a $250 scope on a $400 range toy that will only ever shoot cheap Russian steel cased ammo and never be used for self defense.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am interested with the Radical Firearms upper.  Was thinking of getting one in 7.62x39.  What are your thoughts on it so far?
View Quote
I am happy with it. I just wanted to make a cheap plinker for practice and it has been great for that. I got the Aim bcg and got so excited to shoot it that I didn't oil it first and started having malfunctions. Took it apart and cleaned and lubed it and it has run 100  percent ever since. I would definitely recommend it if you want a cheap shooter to have fun with. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think you need to spend 400 to get a solid reliable scope.  I have nikon prostaff's that hold zero with average glass.  Also have a burris fullfield 2(usa made one) that is a pretty damn good scope for 200 bucks.  Also have a nikon monarch 3 that I got for 300 thats a good scope.  I think decent(reliable not good glass but decent glass ) start at around 125 and go up.
View Quote
Don't forget about Weaver Classic line! Although unpopular (have no idea why), I LOVE my Weaver Classic V9 3-9x duplex scope. It's simple (1 piece tube), doesn't have ridiculous "target turrets" (that I'll never need) and instead has low profile capped turrets, decent Japan glass, SUPER light weight (one of the lightest I've handled), AND.... can be found under $150 (sales).
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#15]
For cheap glass I have several NC Star 2-6x28 compact scopes on several ARs, one of them is on a 7.62x39 AR. And by cheap I mean $25 to $30 from Amazon or CDNN.

I love 'em, the oldest one is 4 years old and has held up fine. They're compact & light, clarity and eye relief are surprisingly good with a slight blueish tint. Compares well to my $150 Bushnell scope. Several of them have moved across different rifles and the click stop adjustments have always worked correctly.

One of them is on a QD cantilever mount  for my SHTF rifle. I mainly use it's irons but at this price I can afford to keep it in my case just in case.

I will add that I also bought an NC Star 3-9x42 compact scope that looks like it's the same type/series scope and it's not great. Eye relief & clarity are much poorer, and it was twice the price. This one has a red tint, in low light/dusk conditions the resolution is nothing like the 2-6x28.

Seems like when anyone tacks 'compact' or 'tactical' to a scope the price jumps up by 50%, most discounted name brand scopes are the long tubes for bolt guns. My Bushnell scope is a long tube, a nice piece of glass but not a good fit on my 14.5' lightweight AR.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are the same guys that think you can't get a decent 1911 unless you spend over $1000.
I've had Tasco and Simmons scopes on deer rifles all my life and haven't had an issue.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:41:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't forget about Weaver Classic line! Although unpopular (have no idea why), I LOVE my Weaver Classic V9 3-9x duplex scope. It's simple (1 piece tube), doesn't have ridiculous "target turrets" (that I'll never need) and instead has low profile capped turrets, decent Japan glass, SUPER light weight (one of the lightest I've handled), AND.... can be found under $150 (sales).
View Quote
I like the Weaver Classic 1-3X scope. Just picked up a third one for a Adam Arms carbine. Clear glass and cross hairs are better than a red dot for my eyes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like good advice to me.  I don't buy cheap guns, glass or ammo because I have learned from the past that when I have purchased cheaper guns and gear I have regretted the decision.  You will never go wrong with saving first, doing a little research before buying and making a sound decision purchasing a quality product.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought a Leapers T168 scope for $70 in 2004. Used it in Iraq during OIF2. 3500+ combat rounds and more in the back yard. Scope finally had it's first issue a month ago. Starting to fog up internally. Price might be an indicator of quality but not given.
View Quote
I remember your right up on the scope. I bought one because of that  and it has worked quite well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a big name brand $$$ 3x9 with a LARGE objective lens for one of my bolt guns. I had to order taller rings because the scope just touched the barrel.

While waiting I thru on a cheapy NCStar 6x that I bought for the "loaner" 10-22 I keep for when I have many guests at my range. I wanted to get the trigger tuning all set while I waited on the final rings. That NCStar was great. After the rings came in I mounted the "better" scope only to discover it was darker, subject to more mirage (it seemed) and not nearly as sharp. I went back to the NCStar. The $$$ is back in the box and will go in the big box of things to trade off the next time I decide to attend a Gun Show. I will tell prospective buyers exactly why I didn't like it.

I will say buying cheapo scopes mail order is foolish, you need to handle the item and decide if you have enough faith that it can hold zero for the number of magazines required.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did a review on a UTG scope once. I froze it, dropped it from 15', and just abused it.
I still have that scope. It's always held zero for me.

Now the big difference I find in better quality scopes is the clarity of the glass.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw one of these at a recent funshow, and I was impressed by how clear, sharp, and bright the glass was.  I almost bought one, except that my cash was running low.  I may get one later anyway, just because.

I'll also point out that I have an older Primary Arms red dot, which looks an awful lot like an Aimpoint Comp M3.  I bought it straight from PA's staff at a Houston gun show for about $80.  It's an awesome little red dot.  I do not consider it a "combat optic," nor do I expect to use it in any form of "serious" shooting, but it holds zero, runs like a top and is perfect for my uses.  "Inexpensive" does not always equal "cheap," nor does "freakin' expansive" guarantee guiltily and durability.  Research and knowing what you want out of a scope are great tools for getting the right glass for your job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been very happy with the $55 scope's performance on my budget AR.  Glad I can get a decent optic for my range toy without spending a lot of money.

Just yesterday, I had it out at the range and was ringing steel at 175 yards, no problem.  Scope's still holding a zero, and is bright and clear.  

Fun.  Cheap. Would buy again.

Putting a $$$ scope on a bargain basement cheapo AR is like putting RIMZ on your Cavalier.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top