BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2017 9:43:50 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
well, Faxon took me to lunch today, so the chances are very good, we have 5 SKUs on the way
View Quote
those 5 SKUs are 6.5 grendel, these are the other SKUs that have been on order for awhile

Faxon 16" gunner 6.5 Grendel mid length
faxon 18" heavy fluted 6.5 grendel mid length
Faxon 18" gunner 6.5 Grendel mid length
faxon 20" heavy fluted 6.5 grendel mid length

Industry
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been waiting for this!!!   I need a Grendel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Much better than having to wait on the group buys to sell out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
My post in the industry thread pretty much states my feelings on waiting to see what they are going to offer.

Really hoping the gunner has a .75" gas block...
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
well, Faxon took me to lunch today, so the chances are very good, we have 5 SKUs on the way
View Quote
those 5 SKUs are 6.5 grendel, these are the other SKUs that have been on order for awhile

Industry
View Quote
View Quote

Question, why does the 20" barrel have a MLG instead of a proper RLG? Typo maybe?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Well this is pertinent to me, any idea of the time line?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question, why does the 20" barrel have a MLG instead of a proper RLG? Typo maybe?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As per Faxon:

We are going mid on the 6.5 for optimum reliability - and yes there will be a Gunner.

While we can go rifle on 6.5, we run significant overgassing risks with various loads to ensure functionality on the lower end ammo. The pressure curve on the 6.5 is not as high as 5.56 which runs into issues with the shorter dwell time.

We'd always rather go the longer gas length, but with risk to function, its not the ideal solution for all ammo (which we have to account for).
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
None of these are 14/14.5 
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
YEah, opticsplanet has 'em listed on their site too.  Says 14-26 days out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Industry
View Quote
View Quote
I assume since you posted this, they're SAAMI spec etc?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
None of these are 14/14.5 
View Quote
I've been wondering this as well. Why isn't it the most popular length?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Will they be priced similar to other faxon barrels?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Will they be priced similar to other faxon barrels?
View Quote
I was wondering the same so did some googling. Joeboboutfitters has them for $245 msrp. Actual price: 232.95 for an 18" gunner barrel. For that money I am going to pass. For not much more you can get a satern from brownells with a bolt.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was wondering the same so did some googling. Joeboboutfitters has them for $245 msrp. Actual price: 232.95 for an 18" gunner barrel. For that money I am going to pass. For not much more you can get a satern from brownells with a bolt.
View Quote
based off the reviews on those satern barrels ill wait for the faxons.  an AA bolt is $85 on JSE surplus

I was going to part out my Aero precision AR and get a 308 AR but i might just do a barrel swap and go to 6.5g
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]
For .556 I favor 16 inches. The Grendel carries its velocity better so a little loss doesn't hurt as much, and I see many people going to Grendel in the 12.5" ballpark. It seems to me that 14.5 inches makes much more sense in 6.5 than in .556, and the tradeoff of 2 inches to stay out of nfa territory should be more attractive to the customer. I see 14.5 as the happy medium for the 6.5 and don't understand why it isn't more popular. I get that a business will go first to the sweet spot in the market. I just think that the Grendel market will end up there when customers get past "sbr all the things" and figure out that 14.5 is the new 16 and the new sbr all in one, no stamp needed. Not much choice there yet.

Still building mine so maybe it will make sense when I get some trigger time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

While a few may not want to hear this - we sell, by a large margin, more 16" barrels than 14.5". Thus, we went with 16" for the calibers launch.

If it proves to be popular (we hope it will be too!), we will move onto other configurations.
View Quote
any chance we're going to see a 6.5 pistol/sbr barrel in the 11.5-12.5'' length? I really don't want to go with a cut down anderson barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

any chance we're going to see a 6.5 pistol/sbr barrel in the 11.5-12.5'' length? I really don't want to go with a cut down anderson barrel.
View Quote
BA has them coming shortly
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BA has them coming shortly
View Quote
yeah but at $285 for the BA, I'd rather spend $40 more and get a match grade Criterion barrel by Precision Firearms. I should've got into the 6.5 forums Faxon 12'' group buy(@ $155), but it closed by the time my account was approved.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

yeah but at $285 for the BA, I'd rather spend $40 more and get a match grade Criterion barrel by Precision Firearms. I should've got into the 6.5 forums Faxon 12'' group buy(@ $155), but it closed by the time my account was approved.
View Quote
no, you're looking at $410 for a nitrided barrel with a gas block from PF.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
no, you're looking at $410 for a nitrided barrel with a gas block from PF.....
View Quote
Re read BA's posts on page 2 and 3 in the industry section, he says the barrels will be stainless, non nitrided. as for the gas block I could care less as I would run an adjustable for suppressor use.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Is it safe to assume that it'll be a qpq 4150 Barrel?

If it is, it's about damn time. I've been waiting years for this. I have zero desire to own a stainless steel barrel ever again.

The Alexander Arms offerings all have that silly 9/16 thread up front. The consensus seems to be wait time from those guys are a bit of a joke too.

Every other treated Barrel option out there was just too expensive in my opinion. I see that Core just recently reduced the price on their grendel kit.

16 inch black qpq 4150 Grendel Barrel With a 5/8 threads on the front?...... Effin A!

It'll be so nice just to be able to buy one on inventory somewhere.

How much longer until available?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is it safe to assume that it'll be a qpq 4150 Barrel?

If it is, it's about damn time. I've been waiting years for this. I have zero desire to own a stainless steel barrel ever again.

The Alexander Arms offerings all have that silly 9/16 thread up front. The consensus seems to be wait time from those guys are a bit of a joke too.

Every other treated Barrel option out there was just too expensive in my opinion. I see that Core just recently reduced the price on their grendel kit.

16 inch black qpq 4150 Grendel Barrel With a 5/8 threads on the front?...... Effin A!

It'll be so nice just to be able to buy one on inventory somewhere.

How much longer until available?
View Quote
Same boat but for a 18"

I am going to have to find a different hobby once I actually get a barrel and I don't need to keep researching every new brand that pops up on an internet forum.

AA is the best thing going I have found so far.  X-Caliber is interesting but has a substantial lead time.  Waiting to see what Faxon's offerings are for real.

And that is my top three, only one has a nitride option for a usually decent price.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Same boat but for a 18"

I am going to have to find a different hobby once I actually get a barrel and I don't need to keep researching every new brand that pops up on an internet forum.

AA is the best thing going I have found so far.  X-Caliber is interesting but has a substantial lead time.  Waiting to see what Faxon's offerings are for real.

And that is my top three, only one has a nitride option for a usually decent price.
View Quote
Core has an 18 or 20 available 4150 qpq. Both rifle length gas.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Has anyone done a review on the Core barrels? I almost bought one but didn't want to jump in blind.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't see a loose barrel offered, and like mentioned I have never really heard anything about them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm glad the 20" Faxon will be made with a rifle gas location.

I just need to get the appropriate 15" handguard for this project and one of the new YHM 308 brakes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I didn't see a loose barrel offered, and like mentioned I have never really heard anything about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a kit with barrel, bolt, mag, tube, block and muzzle device.

Like you guys, there's nothing for info or there on them. Just a YouTube marketing video.

18" and rifle didn't excite me. But 20 and rifle would work.

It's funny that this thread about faxon came up. My Grendel money envelope finally gets enough big enough to go buy the core 20 kit this pay day. But I may have to wait and see what time is on faxon.

Honestly a 16" mid legnth is what I really want.  

Long gas guns don't do it for me. I'm getting to where I like all my guns to be half way handy to be able to get in that of vehicles and be able to be carried around. You only gain so much for velocity anyways. And if velocity is that big of a concern, you probably should be running it through a bolt gun anyways. Just my thoughts.

The Alexander Arms incursion setup would be a total win for me if it wasn't a 9/16 muzzle. I get the reasons why it is that way, but nothing else matches it. It's a total oddball.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Like you guys, there's nothing for info or there on them. Just a YouTube marketing video.

It's funny that this thread about faxon came up. My Grendel money envelope finally gets enough big enough to go buy the core 20 kit this pay day. But I may have to wait and see what time is on faxon.

Long gas guns don't do it for me. I'm getting to where I like all my guns to be half way handy to be able to get in that of vehicles and be able to be carried around. You only gain so much for velocity anyways. And if velocity is that big of a concern, you probably should be running it through a bolt gun anyways. Just my thoughts.

The Alexander Arms incursion setup would be a total win for me if it wasn't a 9/16 muzzle. I get the reasons why it is that way, but nothing else matches it. It's a total oddball.
View Quote
I have everything but the barrel/FH and stock to complete my rifle so I really don't want a kit.  I want midlength gas too, that is what Faxon is doing.

Rifle will be for target shooting and hunting out west.  It will go in and out of a vehicle in a case.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
May I ask why you don't like the 18" rifle gas?  If the port size is right I would think that this would make for a lighter weight than a 20", more compact, and maneuverable package,  and with very minimal loss to velocity.  I called core15 and its a type 1 chamber
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Very good to hear this. Faxon seems to be doing a lot of things right, hope these new Grendel barrels make truckloads of money for them. Thanks for not adopting that whack thread AA insists on using.
I'll be ordering a 16" when they become available.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
May I ask why you don't like the 18" rifle gas?  If the port size is right I would think that this would make for a lighter weight than a 20", more compact, and maneuverable package,  and with very minimal loss to velocity. I called core15 and its a type 1 chamber
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May I ask why you don't like the 18" rifle gas?  If the port size is right I would think that this would make for a lighter weight than a 20", more compact, and maneuverable package,  and with very minimal loss to velocity. I called core15 and its a type 1 chamber
Well, that's sucky... I guess that ones out too.
Come on faxon, please take my money....
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top