BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Trying to get out tomorrow. Got 200 rnds of steel case coming in today. Reloaded about 40 rounds also. Will give update as soon as it happens.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered one too along with everything to
complete an upper and 500 rds of Wolf ammo. Will report back once I shoot it!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The 16" is carbine length.   Unless I'm mistaken that would be equivalent to an 18" barrel with a mid-length (same amount of barrel from gas hole to tip of barrel).
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
OK Digger...do I have to find  your house, dig through your shot-up targets and type up my own review of how the barrel shot the second time around?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked one up, and plan on completing the build in the next few days.  I'll be out shooting it next wednesday with factory & my reloaded ammo.  I'll chrono and compare to my 16" Stoner barrel if you like.   I can either start a new thread for you guys or just post in here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
urban, just found them last night

I bought a Anderson and had to send it back because of a bad chamber. They are sending me a replacement now.

Was looking on Classic Arms last night and seen their barrels and ordered one in 18" length but don't know the manufacture. I have purchased several barrels in other calibers from Classic and been pleased. They are calling the 6.5 barrels Type ll.

I'll be selling a unfired Anderson 16" barrel Type l and a bolt Type l with 16 rounds on it shortly.
View Quote
Anderson Uses a type 2 bolt, their chamber is also type 2 not type one. I have no idea why the site lists it as type 1. When asked their customer service they stated you needed a .136" bolt depth for their barrels, which is a type 2.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anderson Uses a type 2 bolt, their chamber is also type 2 not type one. I have no idea why the site lists it as type 1. When asked their customer service they stated you needed a .136" bolt depth for their barrels, which is a type 2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
urban, just found them last night

I bought a Anderson and had to send it back because of a bad chamber. They are sending me a replacement now.

Was looking on Classic Arms last night and seen their barrels and ordered one in 18" length but don't know the manufacture. I have purchased several barrels in other calibers from Classic and been pleased. They are calling the 6.5 barrels Type ll.

I'll be selling a unfired Anderson 16" barrel Type l and a bolt Type l with 16 rounds on it shortly.
Anderson Manufacturing uses a 6.5 Grendel 1 chamber, Anderson advised their chamber uses a compound throat but tighter .295 neck, (SAAMI uses .300 neck).   Anderson uses a .135 bolt + or - .001 so a .136 6.5 Grendel bolt should still be within tolerence with an Anderson 6.5 Grendel 1 chambered barrel..  Why Anderson chose to muddy the water I'll never know.   I hate the confusion which comes from Satern/Liberty Grendel II chamber, Black Hole Weaponry Type I .125 bolt BHW Type II .136 bolt.  If this is not confusing enough some manufactures are selling SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chambered barrels with .125 bolts.  Add in the Les Baer .264 LBC AR chamber which is also used by BHW/Columbia River Arms and other companies, Model 1 Sales 6.5 Sporter or Lothar Walther 6.5 CSS.  

The best advise for the consumer is do the research necessary to be an informed consumer.  Not all products are created equal and the consumer needs to look at which features are most important such as barrel profile/weight/twist, type of bolt and compatabilty with other rifles you own, vendors CS and price.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone shot the Anderson and measured their fired neck diameter?

The whole point of the .300" neck in 6.5 Grendel was reliable feeding with steel case for when it would finally become a reality.

All those years, people scoffed and thought it was vaporware, because it took a lot of back-and-forth working through intermediaries to get the cartridge dimensions correct.

Anyway, due to the variance in lacquer, Bill A. chose to use a .300" neck in the standard 6.5 Grendel chamber, with a compound throat to keep projectiles aligned, while also allowing for various projectile shapes to work at AR15 magazine restricted COL.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Just fired 2 rounds our of my Anderson barrel.   Both measured .299-.300.  Sounds about right to me.

Eta;  measured with a starrett micrometer not calipers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Got home to this waiting for me.

Now just need to wait for remaining components.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I picked one up, and plan on completing the build in the next few days.  I'll be out shooting it next wednesday with factory & my reloaded ammo.  I'll chrono and compare to my 16" Stoner barrel if you like.   I can either start a new thread for you guys or just post in here.
View Quote
Just got my 18" barrel also, gonna be assembling this weekend & hitting the range Wednesday too.
Will have to compare our outings.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just fired 2 rounds our of my Anderson barrel.   Both measured .299-.300.  Sounds about right to me.

View Quote
That's SAAMI chambered if it has the compound throat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just got my 18" barrel also, gonna be assembling this weekend & hitting the range Wednesday too.
Will have to compare our outings.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/DnaDuster/IMG_20170428_125354_zpseqo8zguh.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/DnaDuster/IMG_20170428_125402_zpsy9fmxsgz.jpg
View Quote
That's a fine looking tube you have there.  Nitrided stainless?  What mfg is it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I asked them about the barrel they confirmed saami chamber.  Now with all the confusion irt the Grendel I could see them not really knowing.  But....... unless I cast the chamber I will not know for certain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Those are some nice lookin' barrels.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's a fine looking tube you have there.  Nitrided stainless?  What mfg is it?
View Quote
Thanks, purchased from classic arms sale, they state maker is US manufacturer so not sure.
Its nitrided chrome moly vanadium. For the price it was worth trying out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK Digger...do I have to find  your house, dig through your shot-up targets and type up my own review of how the barrel shot the second time around?
View Quote
Sorry for delay, my email account was/is screwed up. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Groups started opening up after 15 shots using Hornady 123g ELD. I stopped after 3rd group. The good news is it cycled great with Hornady and Wolf. The Wolf would not group at all.....3+ inches.

Sorry first group at the bottom, 2nd group in middle, 3rd on top.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks, purchased from classic arms sale, they state maker is US manufacturer so not sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link or are they all gone?  My google skills turn up nothing...
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do you have a link or are they all gone?  My google skills turn up nothing...
View Quote
From page 1 of this thread Classic barrel sale

Big sale ended last Sunday.  The grendel barrel I got is $30 more.  Still a decent price.   But $99 was great.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

From page 1 of this thread Classic barrel sale

Big sale ended last Sunday.  The grendel barrel I got is $30 more.  Still a decent price.   But $99 was great.
View Quote
I checked last night, they still had a sale going...I'm planning on purchasing as soon as I get confirmation I can return my Anderson barrel.

Digger, shot my Anderson yesterday. The barrel wasn't reamed properly. I made up some handloads, loaded to 2.26" and they were hitting the rifling. The bullets were wedged so hard that I had to mortar the rifle to open the bolt and it pulled the bullet from the case. I shorted them OAL to 2.245" and thought I took care of the issue but it was still doing it at the range. I had to load a round int he chamber and release the bolt to get it to go into battery. If I tried loading from the magazine the bolt would not go into battery.

I finally gave up after getting the scope zeroed but I decided to ask for a flat out refund from anderson and I'll go with one of the 18" classic barrels.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I checked last night, they still had a sale going...I'm planning on purchasing as soon as I get confirmation I can return my Anderson barrel.

Digger, shot my Anderson yesterday. The barrel wasn't reamed properly. I made up some handloads, loaded to 2.26" and they were hitting the rifling. The bullets were wedged so hard that I had to mortar the rifle to open the bolt and it pulled the bullet from the case. I shorted them OAL to 2.245" and thought I took care of the issue but it was still doing it at the range. I had to load a round int he chamber and release the bolt to get it to go into battery. If I tried loading from the magazine the bolt would not go into battery.

I finally gave up after getting the scope zeroed but I decided to ask for a flat out refund from anderson and I'll go with one of the 18" classic barrels.
View Quote
What is the depth of the bolt you are using?

Yes, something is up with those barrels. I haven't mounted the replacement barrel they sent me but got to admit the chamber looks a lot better. When I drop a factory round down the chamber it appears to seat properly. I was using a .125" depth bolt on the first barrel and could have been the problem. Once I mount the replacement barrel I'll try the .136" bolt I'm using in the Classic Arms barrel and see if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Any range reports yet?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I tested my 20" Nitrided Grendel yesterday, 100 grain Wolf.  I was cleaning as I went to condition the barrel.  

Using iron sights, I was happy with the 100 yard results, took to shooting the 150 yard plates.  Until I get a scope on it, I can't be certain if good or great.

I know I can do better with 223 scoped, or my NM AR iron sights.  

I'm going splurge and get either a Bear Creek side charging upper or a Wolfpack side charger.   Bear is on the right, Wolf on the left.  

I'm please with the Bear I'm using with my 300 BLK pistol and its much cheaper than the Wolf.

Kicking myself for not getting a second barrel...................................

Oh well..........

Tony
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#24]
It appears my Classic barrel doesn't care much for wolf 100 gr. bullets.
Has anyone pulled the bullets and reloaded with a different type/heavier bullet?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Finished the 18" Classic Arms Grendel last night, along with a 20" Colt 1/12 twist.  I may go out today and put a few rounds through them.

6.5 Grendel
18" Classic Arms
Anderson Upper
Aero 12" M Lok
Magpul ACS L
LaRue MBT
Vortex 6-18x44

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What is the depth of the bolt you are using?

Yes, something is up with those barrels. I haven't mounted the replacement barrel they sent me but got to admit the chamber looks a lot better. When I drop a factory round down the chamber it appears to seat properly. I was using a .125" depth bolt on the first barrel and could have been the problem. Once I mount the replacement barrel I'll try the .136" bolt I'm using in the Classic Arms barrel and see if that makes a difference.
View Quote
.136" it will chamber an empty case, it's a standard length loaded case that is causing issues
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome....what I wanted for about $150 less than what I built
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Apparently they were popular because at the moment they are all out of stock, when I posted that I think most of them were in stock.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Some reason the type 2 chambers don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. I'll probably stick with Saami spec.
It is temping at those prices.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#31]
did you bastards buy them all?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Looking at 2 of their 18" barrels. What's the difference? One is 5R for the twist... What is the rifling on the other?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]
well. went the arf way and got both!i bought a classic 16 m4 and ordered a new lightweight alexander.the alexander is a month wait,so it will be a little while,however i received Attachment Attached File
the m4 barrel and bolted it all together.the only thing sucky is that i bought both bolts from alexander,so it looks like im waiting either way.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's my 18" Fluted barrel from Classic Arms.  Rained last week so couldn't get it out and shoot.  Was out today with about 40 rounds of reloads I had for my 16" Grendel.  Couldn't find my ammo bag that had factory 123sst and 123eld-m, so I couldn't really do the test I wanted to do.  But I did get to put 40 rounds through her though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Best group, I always had one flier.  Now if I can only find that bag of ammo
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Not bad...looks promising..in just hoping these barrels shot the wolf ammo ok.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought a 16" carbine to get cut to 12"
They raped me on shipping too
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Looking at 2 of their 18" barrels. What's the difference? One is 5R for the twist... What is the rifling on the other?
View Quote
I was thinking about the 5R as 5R's are usually good, but the website doesn't state what the other one is.  Is this barrel going to be comparable to odin, jp, faxton is releasing something soon.  Just don't know if I should wait, as I don't want to waste $143.10 if these are not close to performing with other barrels that are only $100-200 more.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here's my 18" Fluted barrel from Classic Arms.  Rained last week so couldn't get it out and shoot.  Was out today with about 40 rounds of reloads I had for my 16" Grendel.  Couldn't find my ammo bag that had factory 123sst and 123eld-m, so I couldn't really do the test I wanted to do.  But I did get to put 40 rounds through her though.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6796/IMG-20170510-101244237-205690.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6796/IMG-20170510-101143945-1--205688.JPG

Best group, I always had one flier.  Now if I can only find that bag of ammo
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6796/IMG-20170510-102216385-205693.JPG
View Quote
Looks just like my groups with wolf ammo.  4 with a pretty tight and one flyer that opens a 1" group to 2" or 2.5".  My barrel is a alexander arms 18" fluted.   It does shoot the amax's into a tight group.  Wolf is just decent.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was thinking about the 5R as 5R's are usually good, but the website doesn't state what the other one is.  Is this barrel going to be comparable to odin, jp, faxton is releasing something soon.  Just don't know if I should wait, as I don't want to waste $143.10 if these are not close to performing with other barrels that are only $100-200 more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I asked classic. They said 5R rifling is not squared, the round the shoulders of the rifling for easier cleaning which is the $10 extra they charge for the 5R..

Didn't sound like a big deal so I ordered the cheaper barrel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Finally made it out to range last weekend, put 200rnds thru my grendel.
My 18" classic barrel was holding 3.5"-4" @ 100yds with wolf ammo
& cheap ass weaver scope.

What was weird though was @ 200yds holding steady 3" groups with quite a few 2" groups.
Was also hitting about 4" low at 200yds??

Have new scope ordered just need some more accurate ammo now!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Finally made it out to range last weekend, put 200rnds thru my grendel.
My 18" classic barrel was holding 3.5"-4" @ 100yds with wolf ammo
& cheap ass weaver scope.

What was weird though was @ 200yds holding steady 3" groups with quite a few 2" groups.
Was also hitting about 4" low at 200yds??

Have new scope ordered just need some more accurate ammo now!
View Quote
Steel cased or wolf good? GOLD! Stupid spell check!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Steel cased or wolf good?
View Quote
The steel cheap stuff, I wasn't aware Wolf had
Gold ammo in 6.5...Would it be good to try out
for an accurate round?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Wolf Gold uses a 120 grain Multi Purpose Tactical bullet (MPT) and is loaded by Prvi Partizan in PPU brass.  Basically same bullet as PPU 6.5 Grendel HP BT 120 grain load.   Wolf supposedly had the Wolf Gold manufactured prior to PPU ammo recall.  The recent Wolf Gold has supposedly been in storage for a period of time before being recently released.   From my experience quality of Wolf Gold and Prvi Partizan 6.5 Grendel varied from lot to lot.  Some Wolf was very good and some was average.   Some of the PPU brass was OK but a lot of it was soft and some brass was out of spec which may have prompted the recall.

Prvi Partizan is suppodely working with the Serbian military to develope new 6.5 Grendel ammunition using small rifle primers.  It was reported once Prvi Partizan new 6.5 Grendel ammunition was in production it would eventually make it to the US market.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
for an accurate round?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steel cased or wolf good?
for an accurate round?
I would wait to hear reviews from the none recalled stuff.  Prices I have seen are $395ish for 500rds or .80 per round wolf gold.  I have been buying Hornady Black for .85 per round.  For accuracy I would buy the Hornady for plinking maybe the gold if reviews are decent, but I reload so I don't want soft brass either...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Ive been getting Wolf Gold from these guys $16.49 a box
http://ammunitionstore.com/products/6-5mm-grendel-ammo-120gr-mpt-wolf-gold-20-round-box.html

Shoots pretty decent from my AA 16 inch Barrel and bolt combo....at least no issues at all with any Ammo and
I have used everything including rolling my own.
Alexander has got their shit figured out..for my money its worth it for the piece of mind.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#46]
so are these classic arms 6.5 Grendel barrels gtg?

looking at this barrel to replace a 556 barrel and get into the 6.5 game.  Would the AA bolt work with this barrel?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
so are these classic arms 6.5 Grendel barrels gtg?

looking at this barrel to replace a 556 barrel and get into the 6.5 game.  Would the AA bolt work with this barrel?
View Quote
Your correct the AA Hard Use bolt should work with that 18" barrel.   Other bolt options are Precision Fierarms, Odin Works and Maxim for 6.5 Grendel with .136 bolt face depth (Type II by BHW nomenclature).
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Some bad info in here. The facts.

Common Terms:
Type II-Refers to a Grendel bolt that has a .136 bolt face recess. Does not necessarily refer to a Grendel II although a Grendel II uses a Type II bolt.
Type I- Refers to a 7.62X39 bolt with a .125 bolt face recess these are commonly used with 264 LBC chambers.
SAAMI Grendel- Refers to a Grendel with a compound throat  and .300in neck that conforms to the SAAMI documentation. Length of throat varies with reamer source.
264 LBC- Refers to a Grendel with a .120in throat and .295neck
Grendel II- Refers to original Grendel chamber with a .120in throat and a .300 neck. Not the same as Type II although it uses a type II bolt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't cut corners on a bolt. These three are the best options in my opinion. They all have proven track records and don't break.  Alexander Arms hard use bolt (93.50), JP ($139.95) or Maxim Firearms ($75).
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Some bad info in here. The facts.

Common Terms:
Type II-Refers to a Grendel bolt that has a .136 bolt face recess. Does not necessarily refer to a Grendel II although a Grendel II uses a Type II bolt.
Type I- Refers to a 7.62X39 bolt with a .125 bolt face recess these are commonly used with 264 LBC chambers.
SAAMI Grendel- Refers to a Grendel with a compound throat  and .300in neck that conforms to the SAAMI documentation. Length of throat varies with reamer source.
264 LBC- Refers to a Grendel with a .120in throat and .295neck
Grendel II- Refers to original Grendel chamber with a .120in throat and a .300 neck. Not the same as Type II although it uses a type II bolt.
View Quote
So which are the classic arms?
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top