User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
13 cents and a whole different platform. With the grendel, all you really need is a bolt, barrel and mag with a current AR15. With the creedmor, you are stepping into a whole new rifle.
View Quote

It will be interesting to see as the new 308 based AR10's continue to evolve what will happen.  The weight has come down significantly.  Used to be a fully equiped ar 10 with 18" barrel was in the 10.5 to 11 pound range.  Now its in the 9.5 lb range.  Still many AR10's struggle with reliability and from what I have read as you go away from the 308 that reliability gets worse and worse.  Still my Grendel weights 7.5 lbs Fully loaded(18" barrel, scope and mag included) and it would be just about impossible to get a AR10 under 9lbs(with scope and sling attachments) .  So even with the lightweight frame the AR10 will be 1.5 pounds heavier.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And yet I have never made a mistake here. Imagine that! But I am here to help correct you on your mistake with the lame attempt to be an obnoxious 6.5 cultist out to convert us who who don't care about your boutique round that doesn't do anything better than .223 and 5.56..

Thanks, you became one more to ignore based on how you're being childish trying to force the issue. You need to learn that in America, we've got choices and the freedom to live and let live as our founding fathers wanted it to be because that is making America great again.
View Quote

Wow, just wow.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

You do know there are about 1 jillion threads on this forum NOT involving this particular cartridge. If it really bothers you that much,
you could have easily avoided clicking on this one
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It will be interesting to see as the new 308 based AR10's continue to evolve what will happen.  The weight has come down significantly.  Used to be a fully equiped ar 10 with 18" barrel was in the 10.5 to 11 pound range.  Now its in the 9.5 lb range.  Still many AR10's struggle with reliability and from what I have read as you go away from the 308 that reliability gets worse and worse.  Still my Grendel weights 7.5 lbs Fully loaded(18" barrel, scope and mag included) and it would be just about impossible to get a AR10 under 9lbs(with scope and sling attachments) .  So even with the lightweight frame the AR10 will be 1.5 pounds heavier.
View Quote

True to the larger platform. I built my Grendel upper as a hunting upper with a secondary purpose of a target rifle. I have an A2 stock and an MBT for it, but need to get a second lower to keep from swapping my 5.56 lower. I will weigh it once I get it all together with my PA scope.

To me, the 5.56 will always have a place as a great CQB/Battle style rifle. I will always have one. The 6.5G fills a need for a ballistically superior round that has great energy in an AR-style platform without having to go to the bigger size. With all the accounts of the 6.5G taking various game including elk and hogs, I have no doubt it will take the deer around my area next hunting season and at longer ranges, if need be.

Is the grendel THE answer? Who knows? I certainly don't, but after looking at what was out there for the standard AR platform, it was the answer for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Manufacturers need to standardize on the bolt/chamber.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's assuming that a person has a need for long range.  It's easy to become distracted with long range perfomance when shopping for a new rifle. However 6.5G needs match ammo to achieve consistent long range accuracy and $1 per trigger pull is a lengthy proposition to most. Most people don't have a need to shoot long range, finding a place to shoot long range is difficult, and the support equipment to do so ie; rangefinders, spoting scopes, chronographs, etc are all expensive.  

Most people aren't shooting expensive match ammo on a consistent basis. Yet on ARF people spend the most time discussing the performance merits of the match ammo that they spend the least time shooting.

When you look at ammo you'll most likely spend the majority of your time shooting.

223/556 brass cased > 6.5G steel cased

Steel cased ammo is not known for its accuracy, it is known for having lousy consistantcy in powder charges and bullet weights.

Thus in practical terms most people would be better servered by a 556 rifle which offers higher quality ammunition at a lower cost. A 556 rifle shooting a good inexpensive brass cased 223 ammo will spank a 6.5G rifle shooting inexpensive steel cased ammo in terms of accuracy even at long range.

Again "to make the next leap" 6.5G needs cheap brass ammo to appeal to a broader segment of the market.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's assuming that a person has a need for long range.  It's easy to become distracted with long range perfomance when shopping for a new rifle. However 6.5G needs match ammo to achieve consistent long range accuracy and $1 per trigger pull is a lengthy proposition to most. Most people don't have a need to shoot long range, finding a place to shoot long range is difficult, and the support equipment to do so ie; rangefinders, spoting scopes, chronographs, etc are all expensive.  

Most people aren't shooting expensive ammo on a consistent basis. Yet on ARF people spend the most time discussing the performance merits of match ammo that they spend the least time shooting.

When you look at ammo you'll most likely spend the majority of your time shooting.

Steel cased ammo is not known for its accuracy, it is known for having lousy consistantcy in powder charges and bullet weights.

Thus in practical terms most people would be better servered by a 556 rifle which offers higher quality ammunition at a lower cost. A 556 rifle shooting a good inexpensive brass cased 223 ammo will spank a 6.5G rifle shooting inexpensive steel cased ammo in terms of accuracy.

Again "to make the next leap" 6.5G needs cheap brass ammo to appeal to a broader segment of the market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people aren't shooting expensive ammo on a consistent basis. Yet on ARF people spend the most time discussing the performance merits of match ammo that they spend the least time shooting.

Thus in practical terms most people would be better servered by a 556 rifle which offers higher quality ammunition at a lower cost. A 556 rifle shooting a good inexpensive brass cased 223 ammo will spank a 6.5G rifle shooting inexpensive steel cased ammo in terms of accuracy.

Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's assuming that a person has a need for long range.  It's easy to become distracted with long range perfomance when shopping for a new rifle. However 6.5G needs match ammo to achieve consistent long range accuracyDoesn't every caliber? and $1 per trigger pull is a lengthy proposition to most. Most people don't have a need to shoot long range, finding a place to shoot long range is difficult, and the support equipment to do so ie; rangefinders, spoting scopes, chronographs, etc are all expensive.  

Most people aren't shooting expensive match ammo on a consistent basis. Yet on ARF people spend the most time discussing the performance merits of the match ammo that they spend the least time shootingWhy would we be discussing the merits of non-match ammo? I have never seen a heated arguement over plinking ammo. Please direct me to a thread if there is one..

223/556 brass cased > 6.5G steel cased I think you're comparing apples to bananas here.

Thus in practical terms most people would be better servered by a 556 rifle which offers higher quality ammunition at a lower cost. A 556 rifle shooting a good inexpensive brass cased 223 ammo will spank a 6.5G rifle shooting inexpensive steel cased ammo in terms of accuracy even at long range. While you have a point here, I still think comparing the cartridges based on ammo quality alone is misleading. I would like to see a good comparison of barrels/bolts/triggers with both steel cased and brass cased ammo to draw a conclusion.

Again "to make the next leap" 6.5G needs cheap brass ammo to appeal to a broader segment of the market. I am not denying that a cheaper cost would help expand the cartridge, the cost of match quality 6.5 Creedmoor isn't really keeping people at the 308, is it?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Of course there is steel cased ammo available for the 6.5G but steel cased ammo;

--is not the equivalent to  brass cased ammo in terms of accuracy
--or consistency
--or reliability
-- it is only available from one source
--is not domesticity produced and is imported from eastern countries
--is often out of stock
--causes barrel wear faster than copper jacketed brass ammo
--it burns dirtier.
View Quote

This has not been my experience with the Wolf 100gr steel case out of my AA barrel. I get between 1.5-2.5 MOA, and that is as good or better than most bulk M193-M855 I have ever shout out of any barrel.

I also suspect that the barrel wear is the same as any copper jacketed lead bullet as long as you don't let the barrel get cherry red.

But to stay on track, yes I agree that if Wolf was to put their 100gr bullet into a brass case and keep it below 25 cents pr it would sell like hot cakes. Come onnnn PPU
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This has not been my experience with the Wolf 100gr steel case out of my AA barrel. I get between 1.5-2.5 MOA, and that is as good or better than most bulk M193-M855 I have ever shout out of any barrel.

I also suspect that the barrel wear is the same as any copper jacketed lead bullet as long as you don't let the barrel get cherry red.

But to stay on track, yes I agree that if Wolf was to put their 100gr bullet into a brass case and keep it below 25 cents pr it would sell like hot cakes. Come onnnn PPU
View Quote
As do I. I get right under 2 MOA with my Faxon barrel and Wolf Steel Cased ammo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I did notice all of you called the steel cased ammo a "plinking ammo" and none of you refered to it as a budget long range option, which is what your caliber lacks. I'm sure the steel cased ammo is just daisy's.  Meanwhile here we are in a thread made for the purpose of creating more discussion about the caliber because you're worried about costs and need others to buy into the caliber to get them to drop so you can get a said budget long range capable ammo option for yourselves.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
The bolt actions in the 65G is going to bring in more shooters. It'll introduce those that stick with bolt actions and then they'll see its offered in a AR15 too. Which will bring more people over to the dark side, but until then alot of bolties will sell and the others mfgs will be playing catch up to get in on the action.
Well then get more ammo mfgs to join the fray, until then ammo will stay about 20-23.00 box since we really only have two big mfg making ammo. So there is no real competition. Once Remy or Win join the fray, well get another mfg be the standard join that's known for lower priced brass ammo. Then prices will start to get competitive and we'll be the winners.
We also need the companies that sell the .264lbc to call it that and not the Grendel. Since that and Satern+PT&G laziness that introduced the Grendel II needs to go away or be listed as a wildcat. SAAMI+.136 bolts need to be the standard period.

Rumer, Federal is coming out with more offerings this summer sometime. If they do great! If not I'm sure next year since the ammo is selling.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm aware of the rules of this forum, however;

The thread title is;

"What will it take for 6.5 Grendel to make the next leap in the industry?"

We have a free market economy in the United States where products (calibers) must compete with other products (calibers) in the market in order "to make leaps in their industry".

To get back on topic.

"What will it take for 6.5 Grendel to make the next leap in the industry?"

6.5G needs cheap brass cased ammo which competes with the cost of brass 5.56 ammo.

Without it the caliber is unlikely to "make any leaps", and comparing the 6.5G's ammunition cost vs performance ratio to larger calibers of a similar ammunition cost is a valid comparison which is relative to the thread title.
View Quote

I looked at your numbers on energy comparison, where you claimed 90% more energy at 1000yds between 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel.

Doesn't pan out unless you compare 123gr to 147gr.  I just ran them both through ballistics calc using G7 models.  With the same bullet, the Grendel has 69% of the energy of the 6.5 Creedmoor at 1000yds, but from an easy-to-access AR15 receiver set, which is lighter, and still has less recoil.  If I go to the bolt gun, I can close that gap some more.

A 147gr 6.5 Creedmoor will produce the same recoil as the .308, which is something a lot of us want to get away from, and have enjoyed not being penalized with.

I've owned and shot all these cartridges regularly, and still argue that it's nice to have both 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor, or .260 Remington, or 6.5x47 Lapua.

All your bases are covered for most people with just 6.5 Grendel, whether it be hunting, target, general purpose rifle work.

If you compete or do a lot of long-range hunting past 400-500yds, then the 6.5 Creedmoor is good to have.

You will never see 23 cent 6.5 Creedmoor though.

There are several members of this forum and others who have privately shared their Wolf steel case results with me, but said they won't post them because people won't believe how accurate it has been for them.

Keep in mind that the Grendel chamber was designed from the start with the eventual availability of steel case planned, so the SAAMI chamber shoots it very well, and there are a lot of chambers out there that aren't SAAMI, so they have a lot of jump with a 100gr FMJ shot from mag length.  I wouldn't expect good groups at all with a chamber of that sort, where someone asked the reamer maker to build them a single-load, longer than mag-length COL chamber for tangent ogive bullets.  I don't know why anyone would want that chamber at all, to be honest.  Goes against logic in every way I can think of, but it appears some people actually did exactly that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think the 6.5G needs to compete better in terms of cost to performance ratio against other calibers in order to gain more market share and "make the next leap".

I think what most people myself included want is more bang for their buck. We want more for less. In fact I think that bar none value is hands down the #1 concern for most not all but most and rightfully so. .

This kind of thinking doesn't make any sense to me at all.  You want more capability, for less money?  Reminds me of all the threads where people don't want to spend more than $200 on a barrel, but they want 1 MOA all day long guarantee.  It's very common with people who have been told their whole life they can have whatever they want, from parents who know nothing about applied physics.

6.5G has been sold on the merits that it is a jack of all trades to include long range capability and as a general purpose caliber.

For a general purpose caliber in terms of value for the money 5.56/223 is the king.  5.56/.223 is king of killing medium game past 200yds?  Good luck with that.

5.56/223 will remain the king of general purpose calibers until another caliber can offer more performance for an equal or near equal cost for loaded brass cased ammo. Much of the inexpensive brass ammo available for 5.56/223 can be very accurate.

Of course there is steel cased ammo available for the 6.5G but steel cased ammo;

--is not the equivalent to  brass cased ammo in terms of accuracy. show your work
--or consistency   show your work
--or reliability. show your work
-- it is only available from one source.  like other reliable steel case ammo
--is not domesticity produced and is imported from eastern countries. price of tea in China
--is often out of stock. false
--causes barrel wear faster than copper jacketed brass ammo  I have yet to see a comparison in volume over enough sample sizes with 6.5 Grendel to support this.  Keep in mind chamber pressure is much lower than 5.56 with 6.5 Grendel.
--it burns dirtier false, no work shown to support, pulling statements out of thin air

For all of these reasons an inexpensive brass cased 6.5G ammo is far more desirable than steel cased 6.5G ammo and is exactly what 6.5G needs to "make the next leap", not more magazines,  bolts, barrels, bolt guns, or anything else that you already have. It's cheap brass cased ammo that's elephant in the room.

In terms of a long range caliber 6.5 Grendel will require brass cased match ammo or handloads to achieve accuracy at long range. Sticking with the cost vs performance theme of my post 6.5 Grendel match ammo cost near the same as 6.5 Creedmoor match ammo. Yet 6.5CM vastly out classes 6.5G in terms of long range shooting.

6.5G 123gr ELD is $0.93 cpr

6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 147gr ELD is $1.06 per round

For $0.13 more per round 6.5 Creedmoor has at 1000 yards;

-90% more energy . False:  30% more energy 540ft-lbs vs 766ft-lbs at 1000yds.  Your math is way off.
-9ft less drop   Drop difference is 8.8 Mils for CM, 12 Mils for Grendel shooting 147gr ELD-M
-3ft less wind drift  Drift is 1.7 CM, 2.2 Grendel

For 20" barrels

6.5 Creedmoor

http://i65.tinypic.com/2lm9oww.png

6.5 Grendel

http://i64.tinypic.com/24dh6rd.png

Thus 6.5 grendel has much room for improvement on it's value equation to compete with other calibers. Either inexpensive brass cased ammo which is comparatively priced to 5.56/223 or even getting the price of 6.5G match ammo lower is what 6.5G needs "to make the next leap". It needs to offer more value outside of the steel cased ammo.  

Any "thus" statement after your rigged comparison with 6.5 Creedmoor is invalid, and bases on false premises.  For every advantage you list for 6.5 Creedmoor, there are penalties that a lot of people don't want to pay.

If we were to theorize why 6.5 Creedmoor has exploded as a caliber for the purpose of analyzing it's success to see if valuable information can be learned and applied to the Grendel to help it "make the next leap". I would say 6.5 Creedmoor's success is because it offers similar performance to larger calibers such as 300WM and other larger magnum calibers for less cost. In comparison to 308 6.5CM offers more performance for a similar cost. Thus the the key to 6.5 Creedmoor's success has been it's value. Until 6.5 Grendel becomes a larger value I wonder if it will plateau.
View Quote

If you see this as a threat to 6.5 Creedmoor, I can understand where your uninformed position comes from.

These 2 cartridges actually complement each other.

What 6.5 Grendel has going for it that 6.5 CM does not is the AR15.

What the AR15 has going for it is that almost everyone and their brother has one.

Most of these people will never engage in the types of shooting where 6.5 Creedmoor really shines, which is specifically in long-range target competition and hunting.

That is why Grendel has more room to spread in the market.

I love the performance of both of them, and have been involved with them dating back many years now.  I was there for Zak Smith's photo shoot back in 2007-2008 before the article on .260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua, and 6.5 Creedmoor.

The only reason I chose .260 Rem for my large frame builds was brass availability at the time.  If it were now, I would go 6.5 CM for a large frame, even though the 6.5x47 Lapua is the better engineered cartridge of them all.

Ammo support for 6.5 Creedmoor has been stellar.

It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition for those that want both.

For the majority of people, the 6.5 Grendel exceeds their capabilities and available ranges by factors of 2 or 3 in many cases, which helps with terminal performance on game and allows you to go with as short of a barrel as you want for hunting most common distances.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you see this as a threat to 6.5 Creedmoor..............snipped and no.........
View Quote

So do you disagree with me that 6.5G needs cheap brass ammo that competes with the price of 223/556 brass ammo "in order to make the next leap"?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As do I. I get right under 2 MOA with my Faxon barrel and Wolf Steel Cased ammo.
View Quote

I shot around 40 today of the wolf steel case.  At 100 yards I was getting right around 3" groups for 5 shots.  Some of that was definitely me it was really cold here in PA this morning and I was froze by the time I was shooting at 100 yards.  I think with a better rest, not shivering I could shrink the group to the 1.5" to 2"range.  I am just running a standard PSA lower with a AA 18" fluted barrel.  The standard trigger is just so-so not bad but not a good trigger either.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So do you disagree with me that 6.5G needs cheap brass ammo that competes with the price of 223/556 brass ammo "in order to make the next leap"?
View Quote

I do if you mean becoming more popular meaning ahead of the 300 blk(no real cheap ammo) or 6.8 spc.  No cartridge is going to pass up the 5.56 anytime soon.  Its the standard military round for half the world.  So unless the goal for the grendel is to become more popular than the 5.56 then needing ammo at its price point doesn't matter.  Wolf makes brass case for 16 bucks a box.  Thats about as cheap as it gets for brass cased ammo in any cartridge except for the 5.56 and 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

aka nofreetime, please spend your limited time shilling for your anti-6.5Grendek viewpoint in another thread. It is off topic and you have said your point already. This is not the thread for it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Last I seen stores stock plenty of 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag even though it cost and arm and a leg compared to .223/5.56. I think the main thing the 6.5 Grendel needs is time. It is gaining in popularity. I think a lot of people already accept the cost of ammo before they start a build. I would love to see a factory 95 gr. Vmax load. I have one rifle that shoots it vary well and it's a fine coyote load when I am calling predators.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  We had it for a while with PPU, but Grendel will succeed with or without that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope.  We had it for a while with PPU, but Grendel will succeed with or without that.
View Quote

I think the grendel is on a path to succeed (what is success anyway?), but there are a few things that need to happen (and one that needs to not-happen):

- Less Crazy Fanbois. This was a huge turnoff to me. I shot my grendel for the first time this past weekend and I love it. The combination of good ballistics, low recoil, and the ar-15 platform really speaks for itself.  Some of the arguments and intensity of arguments that some people go to are still a bit of a turnoff. The light bulb moment for me was seeing the 6.8 vs 6.5 grendel slap fight and realizing that pretty much everyone's crazy. But I still think 6.5 people are crazier.

- Everyone needs to make their chambers/bolts to SAAMI spec: It's confusing. Yes, you can reason it out, but you shouldn't have to. Grendel should mean one thing: 0.136" bolt face, compound chamber. Anything else, call it something else. I'm glad it's an open cartridge now - the other reason I didn't get a grendel back in the day was because it was a proprietary cartridge.

- Cheap plinking brass ammo. I have a gun with a very nice barrel and I'm loathe to shoot wolf through it. $1 every time I pull the trigger isn't so bad for bigger rounds, but man, the grendel is so much fun to shoot you can blow through 50 rounds before you realize what happened

I would define success as:

- Availibility of ammunition: Stocked in most stores. When there's a few boxes of 6.5 G at every wal-mart, this will happen. it's not here yet (at least not in the mid-atlantic).
- Longevity: Needs to not fade to obscurity in 10 years. See the 45 GAP.
- Offered by most manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I do live my life to the fullest and let others learn from there mistakes. That's what so great about this place.... FREEDOM and it's not cheap. Remember when you were young and had the American dream of something great hold on to that idea cause we will make your MURICA great again too you'll see !!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah, the agenda comes forth; you're worried about costs and need them to drop so you can get them even cheaper by trying to force others to buy what they're not interested in.

Live and let live.

You know what I appreciate? Not anything that is 6.5 being pushed onto me. The round isn't great, it just has an obnoxious cult following creating more noise than signal in it's agenda of trying to convert people.

I do live my life to the fullest and let others learn from there mistakes. That's what so great about this place.... FREEDOM and it's not cheap. Remember when you were young and had the American dream of something great hold on to that idea cause we will make your MURICA great again too you'll see !!

He can't hear you. He's outside yelling at kids to get off his lawn
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#22]
It has been around for how long now?

Big things are

Mags-need more of an offering. I've only used the Elanders, work great, but extremely tight fitment and rounds rattle inside. Nearly impossible to freaking unload--no wise asses, sometimes you need to manually do that verses  unloading by jist choot'em. Loaded to capacity for months and same same.

I originally went with 6.8 years ago-after knowing about the chamber differences which plagued that cartridge, don't know if it still does or not. Now the 6.5G seems to have the issue as a result of as I understand not paying licensing fees to King Bill? and then making a variation of the chamber and bolt face depth?

While I like the Grendel, if the small frame large caliber AR's pan out, I may go to one and drop the oddball's I'm looking hard at the Savage 6.5CM hunter.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I did finally see a box of 6.5G ammo in a local retail shop, a single lonely box of Hornady SSTs.  Outside of the internet, that is the first confirmation I have had that this cartridge actually exists.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I did finally see a box of 6.5G ammo in a local retail shop, a single lonely box of Hornady SSTs.  Outside of the internet, that is the first confirmation I have had that this cartridge actually exists.
View Quote
They'll ship it right to your house. It's pretty neat.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

So just like 22LR then?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Yup.  This was under $20/Box to my door.

Also sportsman's and bimart carry 2-4 boxes of 123 amax on the self all the time.  I pick up a box whenever I go into the store.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Thanks just ordered 200 rds. I haven't even built the rifle yet, but I'm getting everything ready.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't remember the last time I bought 9mm, .40 S&W, .223 Rem/5.56 off the shelf.

Maybe after Election Day in 2012, I went out and bought some cases of 9mm and 5.56 from Sportsman's.

Other than that, I order all my ammo online.

Prices are so much lower, I would be a fool to buy off the shelf.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Come off it already. What other caliber has cheap brass ammo available? 22-250? .243? 222 Remmington? 300 AAC? Those are the calibers Grendel is competing with, not the ubiquitous 223.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Decent budget offerings like PSA CHF uppers and standardizing bolts to Alexander Arms specs will definitely help, but the biggie has already come through with cheap Wolf steel case that has been out for awhile -- it has made me jump on the bandwagon by backordering an Alexander Arms 18" barrel.

The saturation with different calibers is what's hindering the platform now, but I'd expect that it will continue to gain market share over 6.8 spc and 300 BO.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Come off it already. What other caliber has cheap brass ammo available? 22-250? .243? 222 Remmington? 300 AAC? Those are the calibers Grendel is competing with, not the ubiquitous 223.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, the cheapest .30-06 brass I've seen is usually 70 cents each.  What will it take for .30-06 to make the next leap in the industry?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It has been around for how long now?

Big things are

Mags-need more of an offering. I've only used the Elanders, work great, but extremely tight fitment and rounds rattle inside. Nearly impossible to freaking unload--no wise asses, sometimes you need to manually do that verses  unloading by jist choot'em. Loaded to capacity for months and same same.

I originally went with 6.8 years ago-after knowing about the chamber differences which plagued that cartridge, don't know if it still does or not. Now the 6.5G seems to have the issue as a result of as I understand not paying licensing fees to King Bill? and then making a variation of the chamber and bolt face depth?

While I like the Grendel, if the small frame large caliber AR's pan out, I may go to one and drop the oddball's I'm looking hard at the Savage 6.5CM hunter.
View Quote

Been around for 14 years (since 2003). Adopted by SAAMI in 2011.

There is only one true 6.5 Grendel chamber. All of the others are variations/wildcats/clone barrels like the .264 LBC. Since 2011 and being adopted by SAAMI, 6.5 Grendel is 6.5 Grendel. There is no more paying licensing fees to Alexander Arms, as it is a SAAMI spec.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly.  The grendel doesn't compete against the 223 or 308.  Its main competition is the 6.8 spc, 300 blk, 25-45 sharps.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#34]
First, increase the case length by 0.147, reduce the base diameter by 0.018, reduce the shoulder diameter by 0.026, increase the neck diameter by 0.005, increase the bullet diameter by 0.013.........you get the drift
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

My little gun shop has 4 different types of Grendel ammo, 2 different sizes of Alexander Arms E-Lander Grendel mags, 4 or 5 Grendel barrels, and Grendel BCGs in stock. All in a town of 300 people.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My little gun shop has 4 different types of Grendel ammo, 2 different sizes of Alexander Arms E-Lander Grendel mags, 4 or 5 Grendel barrels, and Grendel BCGs in stock. All in a town of 300 people.
View Quote

Shop owner a big Grendel proponent, or just a lot of Grendel shooters in your area?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Shop owner a big Grendel proponent, or just a lot of Grendel shooters in your area?
View Quote

The Grendel is non existent here in PA currently.  One big box store stocks a few boxes of ammo.  But with semiauto's being legalized and bolt action 6.5 grendel's coming around I hope that changes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hell, the cheapest .30-06 brass I've seen is usually 70 cents each.  What will it take for .30-06 to make the next leap in the industry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What will it take for 30-40 Krag to make the next leap in the industry?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What will it take for 30-40 Krag to make the next leap in the industry?

Inquiring minds want to know!
[/url]
View Quote

Death Hunt becomes a rekindled cult favorite, spawning a Yukon Territory spin off of cowboy action shooting and everybody uses a sporterized Krag in the rifle category?  It could happen.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am the owner. I got into Grendel because of this sub-forum. A lot of my customers got interested in it after I built my first upper, but I also had customers that I didn't know coming in asking about 6.5 Grendel barrels from Odin Works, Black Hole, Alexander Arms, etc.

I still sell a lot of the 6.8 SPC II barrels/BCGs to guys who hog hunt and deer hunt. I can only see Grendel getting more and more traction the more people become aware of it and get the chance to shoot one for themselves.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#42]
If the Russia or someone switches to it in thier AK platforms from 5.45 to 6.5 grendal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If the Russia or someone switches to it in thier AK platforms from 5.45 to 6.5 grendal.
View Quote
Serbia?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Serbia?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted: Serbia?
View Quote

I'm convinced one of the reasons the Serbs were willing to  try it, performance aside, is that the the Russian War Machine at Barnaul is manufacturing 65G steel-case.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm convinced one of the reasons the Serbs were willing to  try it, performance aside, is that the the Russian War Machine at Barnaul is manufacturing 65G steel-case.
View Quote

The Serbs have Prvi producing it for them.

They are replacing 5,45, 5,56, 7,62 (x 39 & x54r) and 7,92 with the 6.5G
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I would love to get into 6.5 Grendel while now there is cheap steel case ammo but the bolt breakage is holding me back. .136" bolt recess may help extractor but not bolt. As long as the bolt breakage issue is not resolved, it may be more popular but not a huge leap! With the bolt diameter limitation, I don't think the bolt breakage can ever be resolved. May improve, but bolt life is still the weak point. On the other hand, if they offer 6.8 SPC cheap steel case ammo, 6.5 Grendel may die!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would love to get into 6.5 Grendel while now there is cheap steel case ammo but the bolt breakage is holding me back. .136" bolt recess may help extractor but not bolt. As long as the bolt breakage issue is not resolved, it may be more popular but not a huge leap! With the bolt diameter limitation, I don't think the bolt breakage can ever be resolved. May improve, but bolt life is still the weak point. On the other hand, if they offer 6.8 SPC cheap steel case ammo, 6.5 Grendel may die!
View Quote
Need some data there, boss.

You make a claim, and then an assertion, about bolt life. Where's the data?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

What bolts did you test, and at what round count were they breaking?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Prvi is supposedly coming out with the brass 6.5 Grendel ammo again.

Also, you meant SCAR 16 in 6.5G, right?
View Quote

It would be nice if they didn't use large rifle primers this time....
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top