BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/27/2017 3:06:27 PM EDT
Already have premium hunting ammo. Already have premium target loads. Already have cheap steel case plinking ammo. Already have premium brands that offer uppers and/or barrels for it. SAAMI spec. See countless new threads for shooters interested in it on this forum and other gun related forums.  Several of my local gun shops have been selling ammo for the last few years and have started carrying/ordering 6.5 Grendel uppers.

In your estimation, what is the next step that it needs to make? Just further interest and demand by consumers?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Availability and time. More barrel mfgs need to have a permanent line of barrels and bolts in stock.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
None of the big AR-15 Manufactures like LMT, CMMG, RRA, PSA, Stag, Bushmaster, Remington, Daniel Defense or Colt sell the 6.5 Grendel in complete rifles.  Colt anounced they were going to introduce the 6.5 Grendel then never followed through with the 6.5 Grendel rifle.  The only manufactures to release any 6.5 Grendel complete rifles I'm aware of are Alexander Arms, Double Star, Core, Sabre Defense, Anderson Grendel 1 and Olympic.  Odin Works, Les Baer, Precision Firearms, Satern have produced a significant number of uppers and some complete rifles but they are more like custom rifles and priced accordingly.

The closest bargain brand 6.5 Grendel AR-15 is Wolf Precision (WPA) 6.5 Grendel upper mated to a low priced lower.

It sure doesn't hurt that Howa has introduced the Mini Action in 6.5 Grendel plus CZ is releasing the 527 in 6.5 Grendel this year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#3]
It's become pretty mainstream.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What it will take is getting everyone involved in making barrels and bolts to agree on a bolt face depth spec. Some are .125, some are .136. You have to carefully look at what you're buying when you build a Grendel, instead of just buying a bolt or BCG in your caliber of choice and being assured that it will work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What it will take is getting everyone involved in making barrels and bolts to agree on a bolt face depth spec. Some are .125, some are .136. You have to carefully look at what you're buying when you build a Grendel, instead of just buying a bolt or BCG in your caliber of choice and being assured that it will work.
View Quote
Who's using .125 bolts?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who's using .125 bolts?
View Quote

http://columbiariverarms.com/configure-your-custom-barrel/configure-your-264-lbc/
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://columbiariverarms.com/configure-your-custom-barrel/configure-your-264-lbc/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's using .125 bolts?

That's not a 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#8]
PSA needs to start building them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Already have premium hunting ammo. Already have premium target loads. Already have cheap steel case plinking ammo. Already have premium brands that offer uppers and/or barrels for it. SAAMI spec. See countless new threads for shooters interested in it on this forum and other gun related forums.  Several of my local gun shops have been selling ammo for the last few years and have started carrying/ordering 6.5 Grendel uppers.

In your estimation, what is the next step that it needs to make? Just further interest and demand by consumers?
View Quote

The howa mini actions and the CZ 527 will change the game for the Grendel.  First step was Saami approval, next more available ammo(including a cheap option) next is other rifles chambered for the cartridge.  There still needs to be a few more ammo options(remington and winchester still haven't joined the game).  Also need a few major players making uppers.  Still it is gaining popularity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's not a 6.5 Grendel.
View Quote

Yeah thats a 264 lbc.  Every Grendel I have ever seen uses the .136 bolt face depth.  Even the Grendel 2 chambered guns use .136 bolt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Our own reloading thread under precision 'nuff said
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Need someone to step up and fill the void left by Prvi.  I miss that $12-14 a box brass cased plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Need someone to step up and fill the void left by Prvi.  I miss that $12-14 a box brass cased plinking ammo.
View Quote

Good point some guys refuse to shoot the steel case stuff.  If thats the case then you are left with .90 c a round ammo.  Prvi is supposedly coming back to market.  Wolf gold 120 mpt is being produced again and I am pretty sure thats prvi ammo still.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree. Would be nice to have several manufacturers step up and make FMJ brass cased 6.5 Grendel ammo. Especially for those that don't reload.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's become pretty mainstream.
View Quote
Not in person, only here from the cult following.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#16]
More manufacturers, which use the SAAMI spec reamer
Plinking ammo

Make it in 6.8 SPC
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:00:08 AM EDT
[#17]
A lower with an enlarged magwell to take a 6.5g specific magazine. 

Presently, the industry is making due using magwell and mag dimensions which were designed for a cartridge with a considerably different diameter and taper. 

While it seems to be working out surprisingly well, I can't help but wonder if the dedicated mag/magwell and possibly an enlarged ejection port, wouldn't increase reliability even further.

This is the exact same concept as the LWRC 6.8spc lowers that accept the redesigned, dedicated Magpul 6.8 magazines.

Like I said above, shoehorning the larger cartridge into the existung platform has worked well, but as popular as the cartridge has become, it's time to give it the platform and mags it deserves.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Federal now has an American Eagle 90gr Value Pack
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I've just recently built a 6.5G and it has become my favorite AR caliber to shoot. For me it's the ammo. It's gotta be readily available in local stores and have more options than just 8 boxes of Hornady which is all I find. If we see it's always in the store then more people would get into shooting the 6.5G.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've just recently built a 6.5G and it has become my favorite AR caliber to shoot. For me it's the ammo. It's gotta be readily available in local stores and have more options than just 8 boxes of Hornady which is all I find. If we see it's always in the store then more people would get into shooting the 6.5G.
View Quote
Why do you personally want to see more people shooting it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#21]
What will it take for 6.5 Grendel to make the next leap in the industry?

It would take adoption by a government's military otherwise its will remain just another wildcat. Or it would take someone with a government sized pile of money who was dedicated to its becoming mainstream without consideration of profitability. While it may do what it does very well there isn't overwhelming sway for it, what it would replace serves well enough to keep from having to switch.

I try to limit the number of calibers I have specifically to 9mm, .45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 or mostly NATO - didn't set out for that it just worked out that way except for 3006 and 30c. I keep bulk quantities of all on hand, popularity of the calibers keep the availability up and prices down.

I've looked at 300blk, 6.5, 6.8 all have a kool factor but the last thing I need is another caliber especially if its over seventy five cents each in bulk or if I have to re-load for it, brass prep sucks in any quantity. There is no justifiable benefit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What will it take for 6.5 Grendel to make the next leap in the industry?

It would take adoption by a government's military otherwise its will remain just another wildcat. Or it would take someone with a government sized pile of money who was dedicated to its becoming mainstream without consideration of profitability. While it may do what it does very well there isn't overwhelming sway for it, what it would replace serves well enough to keep from having to switch.

I try to limit the number of calibers I have specifically to 9mm, .45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51 or mostly NATO - didn't set out for that it just worked out that way except for 3006 and 30c. I keep bulk quantities of all on hand, popularity of the calibers keep the availability up and prices down.

I've looked at 300blk, 6.5, 6.8 all have a kool factor but the last thing I need is another caliber especially if its over seventy five cents each in bulk or if I have to re-load for it, brass prep sucks in any quantity. There is no justifiable benefit.
View Quote

Serbia military adopted it. I'm sure there will be others in the future.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Federal now has an American Eagle 90gr Value Pack
View Quote
Seen a price on it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Adoption by the US Military and/or a Federal agency. Even a smaller agency would help a lot with ammo pricing and availability.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why do you personally want to see more people shooting it?
View Quote

Then more would learn to appreciate how great the cal is for the AR15 platform. More manufacturers and suppliers get on board creating more options to choose from and that's a win win ....
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]
6.5 Grendel has made huge leaps in the industry on a consistent basis.

Cooperation with Lapua on getting brass made
Extensive Testing begins
Introduction
Surprise Blackwater demo
Sale of rifles, uppers, 5 initial factory loads from AA
Sale of barrel/bolts/mags/brass
Other manufacturers got on board (Les Baer, JP, J&T, Templar)
Black Hills ammo
Hornady took it to SAAMI and gained SAAMI approval
Factory loads from Hornady
Factory loads from Wolf Gold line
Factory loads, rifles, and uppers from PF
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks published
More companies offering rifles and uppers
Wolf Steel case ammo hits distributors
AA Elander mags
Howa Mini Actions, 30 different rifle SKUs
Federal ammo (now 4 factory loads from Federal, inlcuding 120gr Fusion, 90gr TNT at 3000fps, and 130gr Berger Gold Medal Match)
CZ Micro Mauser introduced at 2017 SHOT, 2 SKUs

41 factory loads
Barrels, bolts, and mags available from multiple vendors

What's the next leap? It'll be something.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Then more would learn to appreciate how great the cal is for the AR15 platform. More manufacturers and suppliers get on board creating more options to choose from and that's a win win ....
View Quote
Ah, the agenda comes forth; you're worried about costs and need them to drop so you can get them even cheaper by trying to force others to buy what they're not interested in.

Live and let live.

You know what I appreciate? Not anything that is 6.5 being pushed onto me. The round isn't great, it just has an obnoxious cult following creating more noise than signal in it's agenda of trying to convert people.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You know what I appreciate? Not anything that is 6.5 being pushed onto me. The round isn't great, it just has an obnoxious cult following creating more noise than signal in it's agenda of trying to convert people.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Cycling subsonic ammo. Large military adoption. More magazines.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ah, the agenda comes forth; you're worried about costs and need them to drop so you can get them even cheaper by trying to force others to buy what they're not interested in.

Live and let live.

View Quote

Did I miss the @ GSL earlier in the thread to drag you in here?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#31]
The Anderson/wolf upper gets it close.
I'd need somebody like PSA offering numerous options, including pistol uppers and I'd need 6.5 pmags  at the same price as 5.56 mags.
The ammo is already there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
. The round isn't great, it just has an obnoxious cult following creating more noise than signal in it's agenda of trying to convert people.
View Quote

Yeah that's why the Serb military adopted it to replace the 7.62 x 39, 5.56 x 45, 7.62 x 54r, and 7.92 x 57 as their Gen Purpose Round, because it's a shitty cartridge
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah that's why the Serb military adopted it to replace the 7.62 x 39, 5.56 x 45, 7.62 x 54r, and 7.92 x 57 as their Gen Purpose Round, because it's a shitty cartridge
View Quote
They're not even a major player.

And it is a shitty cartridge. It doesn't do anything better than what I use .223 or .308 for.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And it is a shitty cartridge. It doesn't do anything better than what I use .223 or .308 for.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They're not even a major player.

View Quote

Just because you don't have a use for it, doesn't make that true for everyone else. It's not a shitty cartridge at all. It's the best target/hunting cartridge you can shoot from an AR15. Mine has put down black bears, mule deer, coyotes, and laid down moa groups at 500yds. And it weighs less than 8lbs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sound so oppressed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I think the CZ 527 is going to be a big boost to the cartridge. I already have 5.56, 6.8 and 7.62x39 ARs, I'm not sure I'm interested in one in 6.5G but I might ditch some existing bolt actions just to have the CZ 527. Probably will be impossible to get for the first 6 months though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#39]
More consistent parts availability would help. I'm specifically referring to barrels and bolts. If a group buy is the only way to get what I want, that round isn't ready for prime time quite yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:37:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
More consistent parts availability would help. I'm specifically referring to barrels and bolts. If a group buy is the only way to get what I want, that round isn't ready for prime time quite yet.
View Quote

I agree. I wish BA and Faxon would stock barrels and bolts.

JP and Lilja keep stuff in stock but more options in the lower price range would help people get into the cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Live and let live.

View Quote

I do live my life to the fullest and let others learn from there mistakes. That's what so great about this place.... FREEDOM and it's not cheap. Remember when you were young and had the American dream of something great hold on to that idea cause we will make your MURICA great again too you'll see !!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

.... It's the best target/hunting cartridge you can shoot from an AR15. Mine has put down black bears, mule deer, coyotes, and laid down moa groups at 500yds. And it weighs less than 8lbs.
View Quote

MK262 will do just the same, its the only cartridge ever investigated for being too lethal. The Army IG was getting 'excessive' reports of enemy combatants being brought in with rifle headshots, they investigated to make sure troops were not assassinating prisoners. Turns out the headshots were being taken from joint Army Marine outposts by marksman with A2 carry handle rifles at 500m+, combatants were shot in the only part of the body that was being exposed.

My A2 carry handle iron sight rifles will sub MOA all day at 600yrds I might have an extra 1/4 min of wind on but that's all I'm giving up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My A2 carry handle iron sight rifles will sub MOA all day at 600yrds I might have an extra 1/4 min of wind on but that's all I'm giving up.
View Quote

You are also giving up drop not to mention FPS + energy. Plus barrier penetration ability of the 6.5 bullet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Prove it
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

MOA all day challenge?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I do live my life to the fullest and let others learn from there mistakes. That's what so great about this place.... FREEDOM and it's not cheap. Remember when you were young and had the American dream of something great hold on to that idea cause we will make your MURICA great again too you'll see !!
View Quote
And yet I have never made a mistake here. Imagine that! But I am here to help correct you on your mistake with the lame attempt to be an obnoxious 6.5 cultist out to convert us who who don't care about your boutique round that doesn't do anything better than .223 and 5.56..

Thanks, you became one more to ignore based on how you're being childish trying to force the issue. You need to learn that in America, we've got choices and the freedom to live and let live as our founding fathers wanted it to be because that is making America great again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Carbinekid:
Prove it
View Quote
The Grendel has around 1 MOA better wind resistance at 600 yards in a 10 mph crosswind, and almost twice the energy, vs 262.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Prove it
View Quote

I don't need to prove a fact. Plug in the data into your favorite ballistics software or look at some ballistics charts comparing the two. It isn't even close.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't need to prove a fact. Plug in the data into your favorite ballistics software or look at some ballistics charts comparing the two. It isn't even close.
View Quote
Actually a bold claim like that you will have to prove it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And yet I have never made a mistake here. Imagine that! But I am here to help correct you on your mistake with the lame attempt to be an obnoxious 6.5 cultist out to convert us who who don't care about your boutique round that doesn't do anything better than .223 and 5.56..

Thanks, you became one more to ignore based on how you're being childish trying to force the issue. You need to learn that in America, we've got choices and the freedom to live and let live as our founding fathers wanted it to be because that is making America great again.
View Quote

Childishness:  Commenting on a thread that you could have otherwise ignored.  You were not compelled/forced to comment, nor are you compelled/forced to purchase anything 6.5 (or 6.8).   Your precious supply of .223 and .308 are not imperiled in any way by a young, upstart, 'useless' cartridge.  

(By gawd, who needs sissified micro-brews when Miller High Life, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Coors do the job!)

It is a foolish syllogism -- of course any non-223 cartridge (including 308) will not do what a 223 does and conversely any non-308 cartridge (including 223) will not do what a 308 does.  But what if somebody doesn't want exactly what 223 or 308 do?

Anyway, more barrels and bolts (.136 face depth, please) at a lower price point would help greatly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top