Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2017 7:28:37 PM EDT
I was thinking of putting together a knock-around AR10 platform rifle.  I do have a precision ($$$) AR-10, but a trunk gun in 308 seems like something I could interest myself in.  I get PSA's daily deal emails, and routinely see what appears to be decent-barreled PA-10 complete uppers (like 1:10 18" SS) for ~$550 or so.  I can get one of their gen 2 complete lowers for under $300, so getting a complete SS rifle for ~$850-900 seems like a slam-dunk, assuming they are OK.  I'm sure folks here have done the same thing - how'd it turn out?  Any issues with their rifles I should be concerned about?

Speaking of PA-10 uppers, I saw two configurations of uppers for sale, identical except one had a stainless barrel w/ nitride BCG, and the other had a melonite-coated barrel with a NiB BCG.  Same price for either.  I'm leaning stainless, what do you think (and why)?

Edit: asking once again - melonite coated barrel, or stainless steel for a 308?  What do you think, and why?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 1st Gen pa10 in the 18" ss with the MI keymod rail. I had the headspacing issue but PSA took care of it. It has been 100% since. The one thing about the PA10 is they are overgassed. Mine threw brass far and to the 12:30-1 o'clock position. Was much better after switching to a H3 Buffer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Do it. I got a ptac lower gen 1 lower. Put an 18" upper on it for about $675...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll come in on the other side.

I picked up a PA10 complete lower and complete upper about 8 months ago. The lower would not seat magazines because it was improperly machined. Upon contacting customer service, they refunded my money, which I promptly took and bought an Aero M5 set and built a rifle.

My advice: if you can lay your eyes on a Aero M5 set(they have issues too), build your own. Mine has functioned exceptionally well and looks a heck of a lot better than the PA 10!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Too many bad reviews of psa, go aero or mega
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a PSA blem upper, blem lower and a lower finishing kit (receiver pins, mag catch, and bolt release) then pieced the rest of it together with stuff I had, DPMS chrome bcg, a re-contoured DPMS 24" bull barrel. Bought a blem Apex 15" float tube and am pleased with the result, ~$850 less sights.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I say go for it!

I got a Ptac lower and a Gen 1 upper with stainless barrel and normal phosphate BCG. The only issue I had was the extractor was way too strong, it wouldn't rid over the next round. Took out both o-rings and the large spring, left in the small spring and it has been running like a champ for the last year or so.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems a few issues, but with the Gen 1 rifles.  Anyone know if those issues were addressed with the Gen 2?  What is the difference between the two?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, their were some issues but PSA was good about fixing them. Mine had the bolt and extension hitting each other, chipping the lugs which seemed to be pretty common. Tight chambers was another issuue. Haven't seen many reviews on the Gen 2s yet.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top