Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 2:48:08 PM EDT
I'm decided on the 6.5 Grendel for my AR hunting rifle and I'm trying to sort out the barrel options.  I know the JP is expensive, but has anyone used them and are the worth it?  I think there bolts are pretty solid as well and come with the barrel which is a big plus as I don't have to wonder if I've got a proper understanding of the compatibility issues of the various bolt types available.  Anyway, thoughts or opinions from anyone who has used the JP barrels are appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
JP is one of the few companies I recommend, sight unseen.

Everyone with a JP Grendel I know loves them.

If you're in that market for a barrel, I would buy without hesitation.

The 18" Lightweight barrels have a .650" profile under the hand guard, and are very lightweight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, went by my LGS after lunch to inquire about the 6.5G as well.  They don't stock parts for it (too niche) but recommended JP as well.  These guys are awesome AR people who I really trust so I will be ordering the JP barrel.  I'll post info once I get all the parts together.  Can't wait to head out next hunting season with my AR instead of a bolt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The JP Barrel comes with the bolt as mentioned, but can you buy just a JP carrier to fit that bolt?

Would a low mass JP carrier be ideal for a 6.5 build assuming you have an adjustable gas block?

As for barrels would JP's 22" running suppressed be better than their lights contour 18", meaning would there be less point of impact shift with a heavier barrel?

To much to decide!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The JP Barrel comes with the bolt as mentioned, but can you buy just a JP carrier to fit that bolt?

Would a low mass JP carrier be ideal for a 6.5 build assuming you have an adjustable gas block?

As for barrels would JP's 22" running suppressed be better than their lights contour 18", meaning would there be less point of impact shift with a heavier barrel?

To much to decide!
View Quote

AR15 carriers are standard for 6.5 Grendel.

Only parts different are barrel/bolt and mags.  Everything else is the same.

I would go 18" RLGS for suppressed, since you have less dwell with 18 RLGS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm kinda in the same boat.

I've read a few (very few) reports of jp barrels being out shot by others in the premium category.

If I'm going to drop $600, it needs to be awesome.  I can't get into the $850 Krieger, but if I want to go lilja or bartlein for the same money and have it shoot better...that's what I'll do.

I'm looking at the 20-22" barrels.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 20" BHW .264 LBC Type 1 barrel and have been very happy with it.  I have a friend that decided to go with a barrel for his Grendel that is one of the "high end names" mentioned.

I was very interested to put the two to a test since they were basically the same... 20" standard profile barrels.  His was a 6.5 Grendel where mine is a .264 LBC, and different rifling methods are used for the two barrels.

We shot the rifles out of the lead sled to try and take as much human factor out of the equation as possible, and we used identical loads as I loaded them myself.  (It was just an average load as we were shooting for comparison sake...)

Both barrels shot an average of about half inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds, but the muzzle velocity over a total of 30 rounds each with my barrel was an average of 38 fps greater with a SD of 9.  His SD was 11, so very similar SD but my muzzle velocity was greater probably because of the rifling.

I'm not saying one is better then the other by any means, but I have been very happy with my BHW barrel, and I paid considerably less for my barrel then he paid for his.

I have thought about ordering an 18" light profile BHW... Just to shave a little weight, but I decided to build a chassis Grendel instead for now... And will use it for this year's deer hunting, but will still probably use the AR platform Grendel predator hunting.  

I just thought I would share...  I am interested to hear how well an 18" light profile barrel performs as well. I'm a big fan of the 6.5 Grendel and am happy it becoming so much more popular a choice.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top