Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2017 3:45:10 PM EDT
How did you like it? Accuracy? Barrel length? Anyone know the specs on it?

Is it compatible with the more common .308 lowers?

What did it have for a lower on it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How did you like it? Accuracy? Barrel length? Anyone know the specs on it?

Is it compatible with the more common .308 lowers?

What did it have for a lower on it?
View Quote

Alexandria-PRO-FAB--APF--308-AR-mini-review
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I just received mine from AIM last weekend, 20" for $469. Lower is an APF Armory (which according to them is unaffiliated with Alexandria PRO-FAB but is right next door). The rifle arrived dry as a bone and needed a good oiling. Rifle has functioned flawlessly so far with about 100 rounds of cheap steel cased ammo through it. I've only had the opportunity to shoot at my local indoor 25 yard range, but my rounds landed on top of each other. Fit and finish seems good and as a plus the forward assist actually works.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just received mine from AIM last weekend, 20" for $469. Lower is an APF Armory (which according to them is unaffiliated with Alexandria PRO-FAB but is right next door). The rifle arrived dry as a bone and needed a good oiling. Rifle has functioned flawlessly so far with about 100 rounds of cheap steel cased ammo through it. I've only had the opportunity to shoot at my local indoor 25 yard range, but my rounds landed on top of each other. Fit and finish seems good and as a plus the forward assist actually works.
View Quote

APF Armory and Alex Pro Fab used to part of the same company, father (in his 70s) owns profab, son (in his 50s I would guess) owns APF Armory. His dad doesn't have a lot to do with Pro Fab other than ownership lets his people run it. There was a falling out between the son, and the manager of Pro Fab, basically the manager started selling the blem AR parts (that per contract were supposed to be destroyed) APF Armory had ordered and sent back that didn't meet their quality standards, to AIM. AIM assembled the blem parts, and other parts they had basically the cheapest 308 barrels money could buy, and selling them tarnishing APF Armorys name. APF Armory will not warranty any parts, uppers from AIM. APF Armory no longer buys any parts or has any parts made by Alex Pro Fab. I have had my own run ins with the manager of Alex Pro Fab pre AR parts days and he is real piece of work, I doubt he would stand behind anything he makes.

So buy at your own risk, and hope AIM stands behind it if you have problems. I have had great luck with AIM and they seem to have good quality parts. So this is not meant to bash AIM in any way.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one of the 18" uppers from AIM about 5 months ago.  Have had good luck with it, it's been 100% reliable so far, built on an home built lower, also Alex-Pro-Fab from AIM with my own parts I already had at home.  The only thing I've noticed that's odd about it is the FF rail isn't Mlok or Keymod, it just has holes and slots.  I haven't tried to mount Mlok into the slots yet, they look like they might be the right size, but hte slots are much longer than Mlok slots.
But, that 100% is only about 200 rounds so far, and I haven't patterned it for accuracy yet at 100 yards, I've only shot steel at 50 yards and all hits are on an 18" plate.

Edit:  Sorry, it's compatible with my DPMS lower, that's why I bought it in the first place, so I would have interchangeability between my DPMS LR308 and the build gun.  As I told a buddy the other day, if I wasn't already invested in a DPMS old style pattern gun, I would probably just buy one of the new GII guns and call it quits.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

APF Armory and Alex Pro Fab used to part of the same company, father (in his 70s) owns profab, son (in his 50s I would guess) owns APF Armory. His dad doesn't have a lot to do with Pro Fab other than ownership lets his people run it. There was a falling out between the son, and the manager of Pro Fab, basically the manager started selling the blem AR parts (that per contract were supposed to be destroyed) APF Armory had ordered and sent back that didn't meet their quality standards, to AIM. AIM assembled the blem parts, and other parts they had basically the cheapest 308 barrels money could buy, and selling them tarnishing APF Armorys name. APF Armory will not warranty any parts, uppers from AIM. APF Armory no longer buys any parts or has any parts made by Alex Pro Fab. I have had my own run ins with the manager of Alex Pro Fab pre AR parts days and he is real piece of work, I doubt he would stand behind anything he makes.

So buy at your own risk, and hope AIM stands behind it if you have problems. I have had great luck with AIM and they seem to have good quality parts. So this is not meant to bash AIM in any way.
View Quote

Wow that's interesting to say the least. Well, what can I expect I guess for a ~$450 AR upper in 308.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I just received mine last week only put about 25 rounds through it. I think it's great for the price. I put mine on an Aero Precision M5 complete lower.

Just an update for those looking or who care. I couldn't wait to see if AIM would get the mounts back in stock so in order to mount my bipod I just picked up a Magpul one. It fit with a little force into the slot and I was able to get the screws on top of the channel between it and the barrel. I realize this is not the best option but don't see anything major happening. Can upload pictures if anyone wants them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's mine.

(sorry I don't know how to make the picture actually show up here)
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had one for 6 months.no problems at all.upper and lower fit is rock solid. I'm getting 1 1/2 groups with surplus.so not bad at all.I'm going to try some match,better ammo when it's nicer out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought one of the 18" uppers from AIM about 5 months ago.  Have had good luck with it, it's been 100% reliable so far, built on an home built lower, also Alex-Pro-Fab from AIM with my own parts I already had at home.  The only thing I've noticed that's odd about it is the FF rail isn't Mlok or Keymod, it just has holes and slots.  I haven't tried to mount Mlok into the slots yet, they look like they might be the right size, but hte slots are much longer than Mlok slots.
But, that 100% is only about 200 rounds so far, and I haven't patterned it for accuracy yet at 100 yards, I've only shot steel at 50 yards and all hits are on an 18" plate.

Edit:  Sorry, it's compatible with my DPMS lower, that's why I bought it in the first place, so I would have interchangeability between my DPMS LR308 and the build gun.  As I told a buddy the other day, if I wasn't already invested in a DPMS old style pattern gun, I would probably just buy one of the new GII guns and call it quits.
View Quote

They slots are a proprietary T mod slot. Basically a plate with holes drilled in it slides in the channel in the inside of the rail, and the picitiny rail is held by screws from outside the rail. I know M lok does not work.  

The rail sections could be purchased from APFarmory at one point, but they no longer manufacture the rails or those rails. I own one of those rails, luckily they gave me a bunch of rails when I bought it, and recently some left over QD rails. Alex Pro Fab might make them, but I am not sure.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good story but it sounds more like APF Armory wants to discourage folks buying AIM and buy their much more expensive ones, or simply want to separate from warranty responsibility. If the parts are blemished to be destroyed, buyers would have noticed something but so many AIM's have sold, not many complaints. As to the AIM cheap barrels part, maybe, but how the " Pro Fab manager" know what AIM buys! AIM has sold a lot of these uppers and lowers, APF must made a  lot of blemished parts, but I have to say their quality standard must be very high, hard to see the blemishes. While AIM buys the scrap parts and built into upper with their own "cheap barrels", Pro Fab must be very generous to allow AIM uses their name! Someone need to tell the father, 70s is not that old and probably don't want to see his company name trashed by some outside company build with their scrap parts!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top