Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2017 8:01:01 AM EDT
So, Anyone have information on these yet? Other than the Blackhawk stuff, word on weight and accuracy of the 6.5?

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/1/2/5-things-to-know-about-the-savage-msr-10-hunter/
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Savage Arms

8lbs For the 6.5 Creedmore MSR Hunter.
10lbs For the 6.5 Creedmore MSR Long Range
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
waiting on a call about the dust cover as some pics show it without one. The receiver extension is milspec.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing I dislike about this gun besides the furniture is that the barrel is 4140 instead of 4150.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Those receivers look familiar. There was a thread awhile back about the similarities between the DD 308 and another company that i forgot. This looks exactly like that other company's receivers.

I can't think of the name. Or find that thread. Major brain farts today.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only thing I dislike about this gun besides the furniture is that the barrel is 4140 instead of 4150.
View Quote

4140 is still good steel. Great barrel steel. Not everything needs to be "machine gun steel" to be good.

The rifling makes up for it though in my opinion. Seems kinda odd for these big name companies to just pick up random designs like this. Kinda expected more from Savage.

I'd like to see more one-offs from the likes of Henry, marlin, or maybe winchester. Something with an Old Western feel. Like steel banded handguards, an upper profiled like a lever action with its rear sight, a hooded front, octagonal barrel....

Would be a neat novelty.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Appears to have provisions for a port door, odd they wouldn't have one on it, especially a "Hunter"

Oh, excellent article on barrel length and the 6.5CM. Small sampling, but an idea.
http://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope it turns out well I'd love a lightweight 18" 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
So basically a 20" barrel is about ideal for the cartridge, any thing shorter and you start losing a good bit of speed.  Numbers look a little low for a 6.5 creedmor don't they?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
19 seems like a sweet spot. You also have to look at the bullet weights.

They do seem a tad slow. My 120's are at 2800 from a 20" and the 24" has 2800 with the 140's.
140 factory AMAX are 2800 and 42.6 of H4350 and 140 AMAX the same.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I think an 18" would be about perfect for an all around rifle. I'm going off the numbers posted above for velocity, and substituting the 142gr SMK for the 147gr ELD. It looks pretty good to me for a lightweight rifle.

Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a cross between a DPMS G2 and the DD 308.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
waiting on a call about the dust cover as some pics show it without one. The receiver extension is milspec.
View Quote

It has the same dust cover as the long range model. I spoke to the factory. the pictures of the 16" 308 hunter without port doors were just rushed photos.

The guns will have normal port doors just like everything else.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Appears to have provisions for a port door, odd they wouldn't have one on it, especially a "Hunter"

Oh, excellent article on barrel length and the 6.5CM. Small sampling, but an idea.
http://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/
View Quote

The pics were rushed. it will come with port doors just like all the other guns. i spoke with the factory as it concerned me too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:56:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Did they say when they will be available?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=22903&mfg=Savage+Arms&mdl=MSR&cat=2&type=Rifle%3a+Semi-Auto&cal=6.5+Creedmoor&fin=&sit=&zipcode=23322
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you, yeah I called and forgot to post.

Quoted:

The pics were rushed. it will come with port doors just like all the other guns. i spoke with the factory as it concerned me too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

4140 is still good steel. Great barrel steel. Not everything needs to be "machine gun steel" to be good.

The rifling makes up for it though in my opinion. Seems kinda odd for these big name companies to just pick up random designs like this. Kinda expected more from Savage.

I'd like to see more one-offs from the likes of Henry, marlin, or maybe winchester. Something with an Old Western feel. Like steel banded handguards, an upper profiled like a lever action with its rear sight, a hooded front, octagonal barrel....

Would be a neat novelty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be a neat novelty.

There is a major misnomer among people who are trying to make sense of barrel steels who default to "the chart" for the M4, which is a joke really, and shows how people don't know what is really important with materials science, but want some type of metric from which to understand and make component or rifle selection choices following some kind of logic, even though there is no fundamental baseline for why based on physics.

If 4140 melonited isn't good enough, then kiss goodbye most of your stainless steels as well.

Mil-B-11595E steel is something specific to the military, with known limitations and capabilities.

I can't think of many rifles that I would purposely ask for that steel for.

For the life of me, I don't know why someone would want M4 barrel steel for a rifle like this chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

4140 melonited should provide longer life than most shooters will ever shoot by a huge factor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did they say when they will be available?
View Quote

I didn't ask. Most likely would have not got an answer anyways.

Maybe one of the big vendors here can make a call and get some timelines.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything I saw at SHOT had port doors.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

If someones reading the thread and going to ask questions, I have a couple more.

How long has it been in R&D? I hope they didn't rush it and put out an unreliable product.
How many rounds do they test it with? Not individual rifles as its mostly 3-5 rounds, but during the R&D to see how reliable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Everything I saw at SHOT had port doors.
View Quote

Yeah, after the lady told me they would have port doors i made a joke about rushing the photos before shot show. she laughed. i figured that is what it was.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I was told they were not even going out to distributors/vendors till June.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If someones reading the thread and going to ask questions, I have a couple more.

How long has it been in R&D? I hope they didn't rush it and put out an unreliable product.
How many rounds do they test it with? Not individual rifles as its mostly 3-5 rounds, but during the R&D to see how reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The engineers and other people at SHOT working for Federal/Savage/Vista said they still don't like to think about the ammo budget for testing on the MSR-10s.

You can tell they did their homework.

The real hurdle after all of that is maintaining acceptable QC standards through the manufacturing process.

It's already difficult to make 10 good rifles and test them, update them, then finalize the design after 100,000 rounds of pyramid.

Its another thing to take that design to your supply/ordering and production manager and crank them out to your standard, if your standard is the same as what will make it through high volume testing.

Hopefully, you are able to control things so that it happens as planned, and your reputation is widespread as a positive.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top