Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2016 12:49:16 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy a Semi automatic 308 rifle by the end of the year.  My budget is about 1500.
I would like it to be the closet multi-purpose rifle I can get.  Weather the mission is shooting paper/steel, hunting or SHTF scenarios. Something that will handle any kind of ammo I may feed it.  I figured my range will be about 400 yards or less. Probably will get or build something with a 18" barrel.  Would like to keep the weight under 10 lbs. Ease of field stripping would be a plus as well.  I been looking at DSA FAl, PTR 91 and Ar10.   Don't have experience with either rifle.
The Ar10 tends to appeals to me little more then the other 2. But I keep reading how the AR10 is problematic but no one really say's what the problem is. I'v only heard one person say the main problem is people using the wrong part. Can someone comment on this? Also how well would a AR10 weather bought or built hold up compared to the other 2 contenders around the same cost?

I hear the PTR 91 is little more reliable then the FAL and Accuracy is about the same.

What ever Knowledge/experience you guys or gals can provide me would be much appreciated.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Any well built ,308 AR with a 16" barrel will do what you want. Considering you only want to get to 400-500 yards, I'd say chrome lining would be a good bet. Melonite would work as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#2]
A 16" barrel will easily get you to 400, the DPMS G2 Compact Hunter can do that for $1200 and weights 6.9lbs.  If you want longer, look at the Standard Hunter, its a 20" barrel and weights 7.75lbs.  You could always have it cut down to 18".  Their "Recon" model is designed to be their 'do-all' 16", but its a bit heavier at 8.5lbs, also about $100 more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
So from what I pretty much gather reading about the DPMS GEN 2 is that its a hair more ar15 like in the hands and most the pri gen parts wont work with it.
So parts availability isn't as good?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you mean by parts availability.  From the trigger back its basically an AR15, only difference is the shorter AR10 buffer.  Same springs, triggers, etc.  The barrel nut threading is different, but their standard barrel nut allows standard AR15 handguards.  Muzzle devices are an 30-cal 5/8x24.  So, in a way, the G2 is MORE standardized than the AR10, because it used more standard AR15 parts.  Only real unique parts are the receivers, takedown pins, BCG, dust cover, barrel nut and barrel extension.  Only wear parts are bolt and barrel, you can get a spare bolt from DPMS and I expect aftermarket barrels as the design becomes more adopted.  Adams Arms is making complete rifles now.  

The difference in size means, it feels just like an AR15 in the hands, not a massive, heavy, oversized version.  Ideal for a short lightweight AR10, probably not worth the extra cost if you are building a heavy precision rig.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]

You will not find as much in the way of aftermarket parts as easily for a GII series rifle. For what you say you want, I'm not sure that matters.

The GII Lite Hunter is about ideal as it comes out of the box for what you want, I have one as a medium to longer range rifle. It does have 2" more barrel than you say you want. It won't hurt you a bit.

Mine has a YHM gas block (it's steel and has a rail) and a set of flip up iron sights. It is more accurate than I am, and has yet to fail to function. I did slightly modify my P Mags so that they lock the bolt back.

It has a rail on the upper receiver to mount an optic. I have not bought an optic, yet, but I've had 2-3 on it, and they mount and zero easily, right in front of my flip up rear sight.

The trigger is good. Is it a Geissele? No. But it is a good two stage trigger, right out of the box.

It's hard to beat that rifle for the price, especially for an entry level all around 308 AR pattern rifle.

Between the gas block, the sights, and the Magpul QDS sling system, my GII Lite Hunter is about where you want to be, budget wise, you'll just need to choose an optic.

I like mine so much there's another sitting on layaway right now, to be modified for another purpose (short to mid range and CQB) because I really like the platform.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The ptr's are fun guns and they should eat any 308 ammo you can find.  Not sure how well the ar10's can compare in terms of ammo versatility.  If you are going to buy decent brass cased rounds its no big deal.  If you are looking at steel imports i might consider the ptr over the ar.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I looked at the PTRs, which are supposed to be great and the price is excellent, but got scared away by the reports of them beating up brass.  I just inherited a reloading setup, so didnt want unusable cases.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I have it down to the DPMS Gen 2 and DSA FAL.  They both have their pro's and con's.
Was thinking maybe 16inch barrel would work for me but 18" seems like it might be a better choice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the only 18" GII is the SASS, and it is several hundred dollars above your budget of $1500. The rest are either 16", 20", or 24". The 20" may be the best length for an all around rifle if you desire performance to 400 yards or more. For what ever reason, 18" seems to be a barrel length that is sort of an orphan, people either go with 16", or 20" or longer. You really won't see any handling problems with the 20" that you wouldn't likely see with an 18". The good thing about the 20" is the rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy a Windham Weaponry 16SFS-308 if you can find one and never look back before people realize how amazing of a deal they are in a factory built AR10.

I love mine.

EDIT - same weapon comes in an 18" barrel version as well, again if you can find one. Seems people have caught on lately and they're tough to find.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I will check that one the Windham Weaponry 16SFS-308.

You would think there be more 18" since I heard from many different people say 18 seems to be a sweet spot.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#12]
As the resident POF USA fanboy, I must suggest the P308. It will run you $1500-1800 (gunbroker) for a gen 3 or gen 4 and come in barrel lengths of 14.5", 16.5", and 20". If recommend the 16.5" barrel. Will a DPMS go for 68,000 rounds and still shoot a little over MOA from a 14" barrel? As per usual, I'll just leave this here...

https://pof-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/AfterActionReport_addendum12-14.pdf
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#13]
IS the POF the same as Hogan 308 rifle?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IS the POF the same as Hogan 308 rifle?
View Quote

Sort of. It's my understanding that Frank at POF started the company with his brother. There was a falling out and his brother started Hogan. Hogan never really took off like POF. I don't know if Hogan is still making rifles. Personally, I'd stick with POF based on my experiences but I can't speak for Hogan.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#15]
By the way, since this thread began IWI began shipping the Galil Ace 308. Street price is currently $18-1900 but will come down a little if supply keeps up. It accepts standard SR25 mags (308 pmags) but accuracy is untested. Based on the design of a he Galil I'd bet the POF is much more accurate. Keep an eye out for reviews of the Galil.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#16]
There's a couple different standardized 308/762 AR platforms made by different companies. Kinda a shot in the dark, but Knights makes the SR25 so I'd guess that's the most popular one.

The problem is the people building them, mixing parts together.

Also, many of them were junk back in the day. They've gotten much better, but I'd still get one from a higher quality company.

As far as what gun you should actually get... it won't be as tactically pleasuring but the S&W M&P10 has gotten good reviews. One by Nutnfancy, so there's a feature length review for you if you want it.

A gun that cycles anything... if you want something that cycles crude ammo well, it'll usually be a more crude gun. I personally don't like how sooo many people hold the cheapest ammo we can as the gold standard to benchmark the guns. The ammo should be like anything else we rate. If it fails you all the time in quality guns... maybe just maybe it's the ammo that's the problem. Weird.

For the FAL, I'd get a DSA and no less. For a Cetme/G3 clone, Iid get no less than the PTR91. No C308 or other Century guns.

For out to 400yd (not too crazy, with appropriate optic), most of these will be fine enough. Nothing will beat a good AR10 type though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm looking to buy a Semi automatic 308 rifle by the end of the year.  My budget is about 1500.
I would like it to be the closet multi-purpose rifle I can get.  Weather the mission is shooting paper/steel, hunting or SHTF scenarios. Something that will handle any kind of ammo I may feed it.  I figured my range will be about 400 yards or less. Probably will get or build something with a 18" barrel.  Would like to keep the weight under 10 lbs. Ease of field stripping would be a plus as well.  I been looking at DSA FAl, PTR 91 and Ar10.   Don't have experience with either rifle.
The Ar10 tends to appeals to me little more then the other 2. But I keep reading how the AR10 is problematic but no one really say's what the problem is. I'v only heard one person say the main problem is people using the wrong part. Can someone comment on this? Also how well would a AR10 weather bought or built hold up compared to the other 2 contenders around the same cost?

I hear the PTR 91 is little more reliable then the FAL and Accuracy is about the same.

What ever Knowledge/experience you guys or gals can provide me would be much appreciated.  
View Quote

I have a PTR91 and it is a great rifle for short money.  Stout recoil compared to an AR10, but it is surprisingly accurate (mine is <1MOA w/ match ammo) and it's delayed roller block action is theoretically more reliable than the DI action of an AR and possibly the piston-drive FAL too.  It does smash brass on the way out so if you're planning on reloading match-quality rounds, take that into consideration.  Also agree with the above poster - if you go with an HK91 clone, get a PTR - do NOT get seduced by the price tag of the Century rifles, they are absolute garbage.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I got the Armalite DEF10 for the same exact role as you, and couldn't be happier.  Reliable, eats any ammo, light weight, a robust aftermarket for parts and accessories, and very optics friendly.  That's the main reason I got away from the other battle rifles... they just dont scope as well as an AR platform.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I just picked this one up at the LGS, right at 1500, Armalite SPR Mod 2 is what the receiver says, but I have been unable to find a picture Googling that, that exactly matches the way this one is set up. I figure with an ACOG it will still be under 10 lbs. It's my first Armalite. We'll see how it works out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
By the way, since this thread began IWI began shipping the Galil Ace 308. Street price is currently $18-1900 but will come down a little if supply keeps up. It accepts standard SR25 mags (308 pmags) but accuracy is untested. Based on the design of a he Galil I'd bet the POF is much more accurate. Keep an eye out for reviews of the Galil.
View Quote

Yeah I was looking at that a few weeks ago.  In one respect I look at it and think wow that looks pretty nice for being a AK. I then I think that's expensive for an AK lol.
I would be interested in finding out accuracy on this as well.  Lets hope it not as bad as I been hearing on the X95. :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Also, many of them were junk back in the day. They've gotten much better, but I'd still get one from a higher quality company.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think that's what I finally come up with after doing some more digging.  Most the problem were people mixing wrong parts along with a few growing pains which I think one of them was the ejector spring and feed ramp?  Now they are making those better. That's why DPMS went with Steel feed ramps on the gen 2.

Quoted:
As far as what gun you should actually get... it won't be as tactically pleasuring but the S&W M&P10 has gotten good reviews. One by Nutnfancy, so there's a feature length review for you if you want it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will also look into this one.  Lot of great suggestions out!  I also been looking into building one as well.

Quoted:
A gun that cycles anything... if you want something that cycles crude ammo well, it'll usually be a more crude gun. I personally don't like how sooo many people hold the cheapest ammo we can as the gold standard to benchmark the guns. The ammo should be like anything else we rate. If it fails you all the time in quality guns... maybe just maybe it's the ammo that's the problem. Weird.

I think most of that is because to the average shooter that doesn't reload they wont something that will get them to the range more so they can get more practice in.
Should you hold a gun solely to that? Probably not. But for me if its going to be my go to gun for what ever the situation might be I want it to run what ever I can get my hands on weather it be Cheap or expensive ammo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just picked this one up at the LGS, right at 1500, Armalite SPR Mod 2 is what the receiver says, but I have been unable to find a picture Googling that, that exactly matches the way this one is set up. I figure with an ACOG it will still be under 10 lbs. It's my first Armalite. We'll see how it works out.
http://i68.tinypic.com/315l85x.jpg
View Quote

Does the Armalite take sr25 mags?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i68.tinypic.com/315l85x.jpg

No. Modified M14 mags. If you shop around, you can find factory Armalite 20 rounders for $27.21. I just ordered 10. Not from a site sponsor, so, if you want the info on where, message me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Armalite has 2 models. A and B. A takes pmags, B takes Armalite mags. Pretty self explanatory on their website.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I handled a 16" DPMS GII, it was very light and had a good trigger out of the box. I was fairly impressed with it overall.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Armalite has 2 models. A and B. A takes pmags, B takes Armalite mags. Pretty self explanatory on their website.
View Quote

Yeah, it took me a while to figure this out. My box says the model number is AR10A4. One would assume it is an A model, but one would be wrong. Turns out My AR10A4 is in actuality an AR10B, and thus takes Armalite magazines. If your AR10s serial number does not start with A, it is a B, no matter what the model number is. There, that isn't confusing or anything.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Been looking at the Adam Arms small frame 308 with gas piston and for the price it isn't bad.  From what it sounds like it may be the same lower as the DPMS Gen 2.
I have only seen them in a 16" barrel length.
Does anyone know if these will take LR-308 barrels or are they using a proprietary barrel?  Would switching from a 16" to 18" barrel (long as the gas length is the same)
mess with the piston timing?
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Been looking at the Adam Arms small frame 308 with gas piston and for the price it isn't bad.  From what it sounds like it may be the same lower as the DPMS Gen 2.
I have only seen them in a 16" barrel length.
Does anyone know if these will take LR-308 barrels or are they using a proprietary barrel?  Would switching from a 16" to 18" barrel (long as the gas length is the same)
mess with the piston timing?
View Quote

I dont have one, but from what I have seen they are 100% DPMS GII compatible.  That means the GII barrel extension, which I dont think anyone else has yet.  DPMS has stated that they cant keep up with demand for this new platform, and as such spare parts wont be available until late 2016.  Presumably this includes selling their proprietary barrel extensions to manufacturers.  So its seems the only barrel options currently are DPMS or Adams Arms (made by VooDoo Innovations).  You could always buy one of the DPMS GII barrels off their website and have it profiled exactly how you like.  

If you are shopping an AA I would look for one built more recently.  Like all new guns, they have had some teething problems with the first run.  Adams Arms has an 18" planned, the Alpha-S, dunno if it has been released yet.    

If you get one please let us know your impressions.  I have a 16" AA small-frame 308 upper on my 2017 wishlist.  ;)
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I dont have one, but from what I have seen they are 100% DPMS GII compatible.  That means the GII barrel extension, which I dont think anyone else has yet.  DPMS has stated that they cant keep up with demand for this new platform, and as such spare parts wont be available until late 2016.  Presumably this includes selling their proprietary barrel extensions to manufacturers.  So its seems the only barrel options currently are DPMS or Adams Arms (made by VooDoo Innovations).  You could always buy one of the DPMS GII barrels off their website and have it profiled exactly how you like.  

If you are shopping an AA I would look for one built more recently.  Like all new guns, they have had some teething problems with the first run.  Adams Arms has an 18" planned, the Alpha-S, dunno if it has been released yet.    

If you get one please let us know your impressions.  I have a 16" AA small-frame 308 upper on my 2017 wishlist.  ;)
View Quote

I new the lowers where different just wasn't sure how the upper was.  I tried searching for the barrel deference between the large frame and small frame but didn't come up with what i was looking for.  Might have been how i typed it in.
I found a good deal on the AA 16".  Just wasn't sure if I want a 16".  Why i was wondering how hard it be to switch it out to a 18".
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top