Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2016 1:26:19 PM EDT
First I admit that I've got no experience in reloading, but it seems plausible to me that someone out there has played with this idea and it is to those people that I address this question.Has anyone experimented with taking this round up a notch or two in velocity for the purpose of unsuppressed use? I just wonder if the range and accuracy would be affected in a positive way with the 220 grain projectiles as well as with the 150 and lower bullet weights. I am not a reloader, but I believe the power of this caliber is not being optimized for the non-suppressed shooters who want to use it for longer ranges or for hunting larger game species. Without changing the case profile is it possible to approach magnum power levels with this caliber? I am looking for a workable loading recipe for this, and I'm interested with all the serious information out there that I can get on this subject.

Regards to all,

Zero5Delta
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First I admit that I've got no experience in reloading, but it seems plausible to me that someone out there has played with this idea and it is to those people that I address this question.Has anyone experimented with taking this round up a notch or two in velocity for the purpose of unsuppressed use? I just wonder if the range and accuracy would be affected in a positive way with the 220 grain projectiles as well as with the 150 and lower bullet weights. I am not a reloader, but I believe the power of this caliber is not being optimized for the non-suppressed shooters who want to use it for longer ranges or for hunting larger game species. Without changing the case profile is it possible to approach magnum power levels with this caliber? I am looking for a workable loading recipe for this, and I'm interested with all the serious information out there that I can get on this subject.

Regards to all,

Zero5Delta
View Quote

Lots of us reloaders "the royal we" have experimented with different stuff. In my testing. The 220 doesn't get much of a velocity boost before you get max loads, 1400fps.  The 175grn Sierra MK or Nosler Custom Comp can be run subsonic and reach 2000fps as a super, still has high enough BC to be effective at ranges beyond subsonic loads. If you want to maximize supersonic loading, the 110-125grn range gets most performance. Remember, unless using non expanding bullets, there is a velocity range that expanding bullets work at, 300blk as a super usually looses velocity for proper expansion by 300yds, this is why you don't see anyone selling 180grn 300blk supersonic hunting ammo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the educational reply. I admit I have no expertise in this area, having only used black powder percussion arms and no modern cartridge loading, and your information is a good start. If you had your choice of projectiles to experiment with in this caliber just to play with the idea of getting say, 400 meter range with any degree of accuracy, what would you select from all the available bullets, regardless of weight and what powder/weight of charge would be sufficient to get reasonable accuracy out of this caliber? (Reasonable meaning capable of a 2 to 5 inch group from a rest at 400).

Z5D
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Another thing to keep in mind when reloading for velocity/ energy. Ammo manufacturers that advertise "faster than standard loads" in some of their cartridges have access to powders that run at lower pressures that you can't buy off the shelf. Always use a manual for the powder/ bullet combo.

Reloading is great. It likely won't save you a lot of money but you can shoot more with ammo tailored to your guns.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If looking at factory ammo I would look at 110gr Barnes Vor TX black tip. They expand at velocities as low as 1300fps.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the educational reply. I admit I have no expertise in this area, having only used black powder percussion arms and no modern cartridge loading, and your information is a good start. If you had your choice of projectiles to experiment with in this caliber just to play with the idea of getting say, 400 meter range with any degree of accuracy, what would you select from all the available bullets, regardless of weight and what powder/weight of charge would be sufficient to get reasonable accuracy out of this caliber? (Reasonable meaning capable of a 2 to 5 inch group from a rest at 400).

Z5D
View Quote

I haven't seen anyone post results in the .5MOA accuracy department with any regularity. Best I've gotten out of any load has been 1moa, and it was a cast load and over pressure in a 10" barrel, I won't repeat details. If given the choice, and subsonic wasn't necessary. I would stick with what I mentioned above, 175's loaded around 2000fps. Aa1680 or 2400 would be the powder. I won't give details. I and others could go on for pages about accuracy and reloading, some of your question is basic reloading and not caliber specific. Consistency in components and load work-up with particular gun will lead you to a desired accuracy level, that and patience. I've shot 175grn subs at 400yds, about a 4mil hold over.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Boy, I am sure it can be done, but 400 meters with a .300 black is a long ways out there if you are after any kind of accuracy.

I load for deer hunting and I don't know that I would attempt anything over about 150 yards I am using 125 Nosler ballistic tips and 110 Sierra boat tails and I don't feel comfortable going much more.

I am sure it could be done, but just can't say how the accuracy would be.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boy, I am sure it can be done, but 400 meters with a .300 black is a long ways out there if you are after any kind of accuracy.
View Quote

I've been with my buddy banging IPSC steels at 450 yards using a 4-12x40 Nikon scope. He didn't have any problems.

Accuracy and energy are two different things.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Loads are compressed with Barnes 110gr and 20gr W296. The case capacity is the 300blk limiting factor. Below is an article that tests commercial ammo.  

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ultimate-300-aac-blackout-ammo-test/
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top