Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2016 3:30:26 PM EDT
Did a brief search, and didn't find anything about these relatively new rifles. Thoughts ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot one, they're nice and light. The one I shot had a lantac brake and it didn't kick at all with that big brake. They're a little pricey but they got some nice features.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Not very many people own one. $2700 is way too much. Hell, it doesn't even have an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not very many people own one. $2700 is way too much. Hell, it doesn't even have an adjustable gas block.
View Quote

Adjustable gas blocks are not needed for proper function. They're a commodity, a luxury if you will. If you don't reload, they're kinda pointless. Unless your enjoy adjusting your gas block for every different ammo you shoot. Very unlikely you have thousands upon thousands of rounds from the same lot.

SR25s don't use adjustable blocks either. The adjustable stuff is primarily for competitions. Not duty. The DD is a high quality duty gun.

There was a thread a while back of an owner breaking his down, showing the bcg and what not. He seemed very pleased with it.

It's completely different from other 308 ARs. Same concept, but different barrel mounting, different bolt and cam design, lots of small enhancements that they claim greatly increases reliability.

But, it is a little too pricy for what it is. But, not simply because of the lack of an adjustable gas block......
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
For us that shoot suppressors, an adjustable gas block is a necessity. Not a luxury like you claim. For that price, it should include one and some sights.

There is a few other options out there that are $700-$1000 cheaper and just as reliable. Pws, Midwest, Windham, Ruger etc...
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For us that shoot suppressors, an adjustable gas block is a necessity. Not a luxury like you claim. For that price, it should include one and some sights.

There is a few other options out there that are $700-$1000 cheaper and just as reliable. Pws, Midwest, Windham, Ruger etc...
View Quote

I agree with this. A heavier buffer helps with suppressor use, but not as much as a switch block, or fill adjustable one. BUT, it's still not needed for proper function.

I thought it came with the DD fixed sights.

Yes, there are others that have proven track records much cheaper than the DD. But they went a different route. DD tweaked alot of stuff, and they're really proud of it.

I always recommend Armalite, or Windham. Much cheaper, both have proven pedigree, but without the flair everyone is wanting these days.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
They stopped fixed sights a long time ago. My point is, if you spend all this R&D to change how the barrel mounts up, why not do some R&D and put an easily adjustable gas block on it for suppressors. They are becoming more and more popular and you didn't include that ??? Just a head scratcher !

I just put a Slr on my Windham. I didn't mind doing it, cause I paid $1200 for the rifle, which also had a free float rail. At $2700, it better have one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Bullshit, I've never had the need for an adjustable gasblock suppressed.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I have. It speeds the bolt up and can cause double feeds and malfunctions. I guess your just special.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well I have. It speeds the bolt up and can cause double feeds and malfunctions. I guess your just special.
View Quote

No, I buy good stuff

Adjustable gas blocks are to separate dumb people from money

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
So a Saker 762 and Bcm rifle are not good stuff ?  < CoC violation deleted - IM inbound - HS >
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Edited - not tech - HS

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Edited - not tech - HS
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Edited - not tech - HS
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow.  Anyway gentlemen, thanks for the replies and pointing out some of the features ( and deficiencies ).  This was the kind of opinion(s) I was looking for.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Edited - not tech - HS
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Edited - not tech - HS
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Edited - not tech - HS
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did a brief search, and didn't find anything about these relatively new rifles. Thoughts ?
View Quote

Pretty impressive shooters.

Relatively light weight, handy and solid rifles.  There's a bunch of great features with these rifles.  

Compared to a couple other .308 ARs I've fired, ( an Armalite and a Ruger ) the DD5 easily blows them out of the water.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Relatively light weight, handy and solid rifles.  There's a bunch of great features with these rifles.  

Compared to a couple other .308 ARs I've fired, ( an Armalite and a Ruger ) the DD5 easily blows them out of the water.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. DD is a great gun for the money.

Personally it's still overpriced. $2500 local here when I can get a Lanxang or LaRue for a few hundred more.

I really think DD should drop them to the $2000 range as it seems it's more geared toward hunters and not precision shooters
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does it blow them out of the water? What we're the specs of the Armalite and Ruger?

Not really doubting, just wanting clarification on what you mean. Did the others have issues that were not addressed properly? I haven't shot a DD yet, but a guy brought his into the local shop a few weeks back when i was grabbing some ammo. Felt really nice and balanced.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How does it blow them out of the water? What we're the specs of the Armalite and Ruger?

Not really doubting, just wanting clarification on what you mean. Did the others have issues that were not addressed properly? I haven't shot a DD yet, but a guy brought his into the local shop a few weeks back when i was grabbing some ammo. Felt really nice and balanced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While its been a couple years since I fired them, I remember not being impressed by them and even a little dismayed by the poor triggers, ( yes, I know.. comparing stock, mil-spec type triggers to a Geissele - no contest ) recoil/muzzle blast and in the case of the Ruger, I didn't care for it's balance.  I used to own an SR556 and while it was a good running rifle, it felt nose heavy to me and the SR 762 felt about the same.  Again, I know.. comparing a piston gun to a DI gun.  

While the two rifles I put some rounds through ran ok, I'd read of numerous issues with Ruger's SR 762.  

If I was going to plunk down and snag up a 762 AR, I'd whole-heartedly take a DD5, or an Ambush if I was looking to reach out a tad farther.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, I buy good stuff

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I buy good stuff

You're obviously not left handed.

Regarding the rifle, it's nice but you can do better for the money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I buy good stuff

I am a lefty

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#24]
My original post was to see what the more experienced members of this forum thought about the DD.  I had traded the day before for one, NIB, and didn't know what to expect.  Shot it for the first time today.  Used some inexpensive Magpul BUIS's (which performed rather well ).  an equally inexpensive 1x Bushnell red-dot ( that also performed well ), and finally a nice 1x9 scope - that was killer. That rifle can shoot my friends. Burned up 40 rds in a heartbeat.  Daniel Defense should be praised - though I agree, it's pricey.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am a lefty

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I buy good stuff

I am a lefty

My MK18 sucked before throwing on an adjustable.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I purchased one a few months ago and have not had any problems with it thus far.  I was able to get mine on sale at the LGS and I got it for under $2500 after taxes.  There are other options out there for cheaper but I dont think you would regret getting one.  The DD comes with some features the cheaper ones don't.  I went back and forth for a while on getting one as I already have an LMT but with the sale price I couldn't pass it up.  Plus, the thing shoots like a dream.  I personally believe the DD is a good choice as it sits right in the middle price range wise versus other brands.  Just my $0.02 though
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#27]
The barrel mounting design was stolen from another manufacturer and then claimed by DD to be uniquely their own. Falkor Defense I believe.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The barrel mounting design was stolen from another manufacturer and then claimed by DD to be uniquely their own. Falkor Defense I believe.
View Quote

Hmm, i don't see any similarities. The falkor actually looks ugly. Not well thought out. Way overpriced after changing names. SI Defense, correct?

So, what was stolen? Any reference for this? Or just going off hearsay?

From the pictures of the Alpha 308 i can find, there are ZERO similarities at the barrel nut/mounting interface between the DD beyond both using bolts to secure the handguard to the upper directly.

So, not sure what the point of your post was. I can't find anything to back up what you say. Care to provide something?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

FDtrading or whatever, the guy supposedly suing them is that retard that sued LWRC a couple of years ago

Of course judging by your post count you're probably him again. How long until you melt down and get banned again?

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh yeah, that's who it was. FD Defense.
4 bolt lockup and no barrel nut.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

For $2700 it should include a nightforce scope.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#32]
They're priced well for what you are getting.  The Larue PredatOBR is $3,370 and the KAC SR25 AAC is $4,250.  Seems it's priced right around what the LMT MWS is going for, around  $2,500.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why there's DPMSs and RRAs for folks such as y'all.  

You'll have plenty left over for Nightforce scopes, adjustable gas blocks, bells, whistles, etc.  

Options for everyone's budget.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Guess so. Same reason I don't buy F-150s. Waayyy overpriced. High prices doesn't always mean better rifle. I'm amazed so many guys think that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Guess so. Same reason I don't buy F-150s. Waayyy overpriced. High prices doesn't always mean better rifle. I'm amazed so many guys think that.
View Quote

On a side note, did you ever follow up with DD about your issues with their rifles?  I don't remember if you still owned one or not but DD's head customer service rep reached out to you in the industry section here several days ago.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes. That was a few years ago. I ended up selling it. But I didn't know that, they banned me from that forum. Guess I hurt their reputation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I got my DD5 a couple months ago.  Have only had it to the range one time to get it sighted in.  Finished off a box of 155gr SST's I had sitting around and it definitely has very good accuracy potential with the right loads.  There's really nothing about the gun I don't like.  I'd prefer a standard CH just so I could switch out to one I prefer more but DD's CH isn't bad.  Love the way it handles but I've only shot it off the bench.  I had been interested in the LMT for years but the DD just spoke to me and I'm happy with my purchase.

Pic is the last 5 shots.  Couldn't build a solid position so I bailed before putting any match ammo through it to see how well it could shoot.  100 yards, 1" squares.  Pulled the first shot then put the last 4 pretty tight.  

" />
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

F150 is the best selling truck because it's CHEAP.  Just like DPMS is the best selling rifle. Because it's cheap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Your dead wrong. The average msrp of the F-150 is more than Chevy and dodge. Obviously you don't know much about trucks dude.

A fully loaded F-150 Limited runs $70,000.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I heard that Ford stole the engine mounting design from Chevy and the tranny mount design from Dodge and claimed both as uniquely their own.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I heard that Ford stole the engine mounting design from Chevy and the tranny mount design from Dodge and claimed both as uniquely their own.
View Quote

Fudged over rebuilt dodge.

Ford's best selling truck is not they're fully loaded models smarty pants. Neither are the other guys. I know cars. Nothing past 2004 is really worth a damn.

Anyways, the DD design, is rather similar to the F&D Defense 308. I could see where they might think that. I wouldn't doubt if DD saw it and liked it, and designed they're own style. Ford didn't invent the combustion motor, that's how it works. DD saw a way to improve they're design by looking at other's designs, and picking pieces from them. It's definitely not a copy, and i wouldn't say stolen, as much as inspired by.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Seems exactly the same to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Different barrel extension flanges for the very different uppers. It's 4 bolts in what looks like the same location. I guess your idea of "exactly" is completely different from mine.

I guess the Honda Ridgeline is the exact same as a Chevy avalanche
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#44]
As far as functionality, it's exactly the same. It removes the barrel nut and holds the barrel and rail on by sandwiching the extension flange. No other rifles do that. It looks like a good way to do it. Which is why I'm guessing DD started using it, despite all their other previous rail designs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did PWS or any of these other companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on RDT&E?

DD spent years running pyramid and fleet testing on the DDV5V1, with 100,000 rounds fired through multiple rifles to work out all the kinks, rather than come to market with a bad copy of a bad copy of an untested gun.

They approached the early unlocking issue with AR10s in a unique way, which is quite innovative.

A better comparison would be LMT MWS for the quality, innovation, and cost.

It isn't worth it to spend your money if the gun won't run.  I've seen a lot of problems here and elsewhere with PWS.

Midwest is new and not many people know they even make a .308 Win.  For the price point, I would be shocked if they did pyramid testing with 100k rounds over 10 guns, then fleet-tested LRIP guns.

Windham Weaponry is an untested loose copy of the DPMS Gen 1 guns, with barrel approach a la Bushmaster.  New .308 Malfunctioning

Same thing.  The price point does not indicate a thorough testing regimen necessary to work out the kinks.

If you are ok with a gun that malf's on a regular basis when you go shooting, then feel free to go cheap.

The one exception to this is the ArmaLite DEF10.  Since they have been doing this since 1996, they already went through the growing pains of offering a well-engineered .308 to the market, and have a ton of institutional knowledge invested in guns that already paid for themselves long ago.  They have always had an economy line with their original name, Eagle Arms, and those guns are reliable in my experience.

This new DDV5V1 has longer lock time and is very lightweight.  For what they have put into it, it is well worth the price.

You'll spend a lot more with your malf-o-matic franken-10 after it's all said and done, and still not have a reliable gun if you try to throw untested band-aid parts at it, in addition to ammo, gas, range fees, and time wasted.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They stopped fixed sights a long time ago. My point is, if you spend all this R&D to change how the barrel mounts up, why not do some R&D and put an easily adjustable gas block on it for suppressors. They are becoming more and more popular and you didn't include that ??? Just a head scratcher !

I just put a Slr on my Windham. I didn't mind doing it, cause I paid $1200 for the rifle, which also had a free float rail. At $2700, it better have one.
View Quote

You're assuming they didn't consider adjustable gas.  This is one of the most RDT&E'd .308s on the market, unlike most of the others.

The DDV5V1 stays locked longer than other AR10s and LR-308s because of the cam pin track.  I looked at it in detail at SHOT, broken down.

Even if you have excessive carrier speed, it will vent and allow the case to relax better than a gun with a short cam path.

Adjustable gas is a band-aid for a problem, and not necessarily the best approach, especially when you look at port erosion and the feedback loop it creates.

With certain barrel treatments, you can mitigate port erosion, but most people aren't willing to pay for barrels at those prices.

Because of the DDV5V1's cam pin path, it's better equipped for suppressor use at the heart of the gun, without needing to mess with port flow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe the entire pipe-fitting industry stole F&D's ideas too?

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the price of a NF scope alone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.lbindustrialsystems.com/images/LB%20Positive%20Seal%20Ash%20Transfer%20Piping%20System_img_0.jpg

F&D is a sue happy idiot. He sued LWRC and lost a few years ago

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.lbindustrialsystems.com/images/LB%20Positive%20Seal%20Ash%20Transfer%20Piping%20System_img_0.jpg

Was that the vendor that got banned on the Hide for advertising without permission multiple times?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top