Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 6:26:24 PM EDT
For anyone who might be shooting PPU 6.5 Grendel ammo:

http://www.ppu-usa.com/news/
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Recall is because different certain guns have different chamber sizes?

Why do I think there's more to this story?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Does this mean ever? I have some (240) wolf(ppu) brass softpoints and hollow points from about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Grendel boys prepare for the downloading of commercial loadings
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a lot of excellent results with PPU 120gr MPT.

I did notice that the last time I shot some, it was cratering primers really bad, with ejector flow, but I suspected the bolt on that occasion on a carbine I built for a neighbor.

That's most likely a propellant issue from PPU.

I need to pull some and see what the powder looks like, and how much the charge weighs.

Notice that it says,

If you have any 6.5 Grendel  ammunition or brass manufactured by PPU, please call (203) 375-8544 to [email protected] arrange for its return and replacement.
View Quote

Looks like a potential metallurgy issue too.  It's some of the softest brass I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If anything the 6.5 PPU 110 FMJ I have is under powered.  Detonation or squib issues maybe?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Interestingly enough this is the only factory ammo I've found that shoots great out of my Lilja 319 barrel. Ordered some this weekend and got a call today saying it was being recalled. Bummer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing but great results with PPU in both of my Grendels.
All my PPU is older stuff and hasn't given me a single issue.  I think I'll hold onto my current stock of PPU 6.5 ammo.

And because both of my Grendels are from AA, I don't have any funky bolt or chamber dimension BS to worry about either.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I posted a thread earlier this month about some 6.5G PPU that was popping primers. I'm going to have to call and see what they can do; I won't be home until around Christmas or maybe even April.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I suspect this has a lot less to do with the various chambers. Nobody else was raising a flag when they came out and didn't until now. If anything the standard response was "6.5G = .264 LBC."

From 2011: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?690-Is-.264-LBCAR-compatible-with-6.5-Grendel

PPU is going to have to substantiate why their ammo all by itself is the only one to have this problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suspect this has a lot less to do with the various chambers. Nobody else was raising a flag when they came out and didn't until now. If anything the standard response was "6.5G = .264 LBC."

From 2011: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?690-Is-.264-LBCAR-compatible-with-6.5-Grendel

PPU is going to have to substantiate why their ammo all by itself is the only one to have this problem.
View Quote

I have to agree with you. The chamber variations in the throat can't be causing all these issues all of a sudden and you aren't going to see enough variance to shake a stick at for pressure.. Recalling all the brass seems a little over the top unless they have some serious QC problems and I can't imagine it making that bad enough to change out regular unloaded brass.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got an email from PPU saying it was 2015 and newer. so anyone with older ammo is good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#12]
While I only tried a few boxes for accuracy, I had no functioning issues in A Shilen or a AA barrel/bolt. So is the cause mainly from the knothead builders who varied from AA spec? I don't know why these folks had to muddy the waters by doing that. I just hope Hornady keeps making the round as is and maybe introducing a GMX offering.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just got an email from PPU saying it was 2015 and newer. so anyone with older ammo is good.
View Quote

Well, isn't THAT interesting.  The older ammo is ok, but the newer stuff has issues with various chambers.  Doesn't that make this an ammunition problem, and not a chamber problem?

I'd like to hear them identify which specific chambering(s) they allegedly have problems with.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I noticed when sizing some of the newer brass that it wants to fold up down near the web, very soft.

Good for hunting or competition brass.

It's also a good opportunity for them to transition to a Small Rifle Primer like everyone else.

There are 37 factory loads for 6.5 Grendel, including AA, Black Hills, Federal, Hornady, and Wolf.

PPU makes 2 of them, not including the discontinued 123gr SP load, which had a lot of problems as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda points the finger at the ammo and not the rifles then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they point the finger at all the different chambers being the problem  all of a sudden they forget there are four fingers pointing back at them.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I noticed when sizing some of the newer brass that it wants to fold up down near the web, very soft.

Good for hunting or competition brass.

It's also a good opportunity for them to transition to a Small Rifle Primer like everyone else.

There are 37 factory loads for 6.5 Grendel, including AA, Black Hills, Federal, Hornady, and Wolf.

PPU makes 2 of them, not including the discontinued 123gr SP load, which had a lot of problems as well.
View Quote
Black hills makes 6.5 G ammo?  Is it discontinued, I don't see it on their website and a search came up blank?

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Dang, recently received nearly 1,000 rounds of 120gr stuff.

That sucks.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Hello all. I don't know about the chamber differences issue but I have a new Grendel build based on an AA 16'' stainless bbl,
BCM stripped upper, SOLGW stripped lower with an ALG QMS trigger. I also filled out the list with an VLTOR A5 RE, a geiselle gas block,
and a VLTOR flash hider. So I get out to the range to test the ladder I loaded up and at 28.0gr of 8208XBR under a Hornady 120gr AMAX in new PPU brass with CCI LRP
I popped 2 primers out of the 5 and none of the 5 pcs of brass will hold a primer any longer. The other 20pcs all show significant ejector swipes and no other popped primers.
I saw this thread and contacted the phone number and spoke with a Marta at PPU, this is the email she sent me. I hope to not be violating any rules, if I am please remove.
Good luck all.

"Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We currently offer two solutions: you can either be reimbursed for the ammunition purchased (please provide a receipt) or we can exchange your ammunition for another caliber.

Please note that we will need to receive the Grendel ammunition you purchased. Please ship it back to us via UPS or FedEx as USPS will not handle ammunition and we will be happy to reimburse you for the shipping cost (either in ammunition or we’ll just send you a check).

The warehouse address is below:

1370 Honeyspot Rd. Extension

Building B

Stratford CT 06615

We will ship your replacement ammunition or send your check as soon as we receive your Grendel ammunition. Please let me know which option you would be interested in, so we can get this process going.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Marta Borkowska

TR&Z USA Trading Corp.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hello all. I don't know about the chamber differences issue but I have a new Grendel build based on an AA 16'' stainless bbl,

BCM stripped upper, SOLGW stripped lower with an ALG QMS trigger. I also filled out the list with an VLTOR A5 RE, a geiselle gas block,

and a VLTOR flash hider. So I get out to the range to test the ladder I loaded up and at 28.0gr of 8208XBR under a Hornady 120gr AMAX in new PPU brass with CCI LRP

I popped 2 primers out of the 5 and none of the 5 pcs of brass will hold a primer any longer. The other 20pcs all show significant ejector swipes and no other popped primers.

I saw this thread and contacted the phone number and spoke with a Marta at PPU, this is the email she sent me. I hope to not be violating any rules, if I am please remove.

Good luck all.

"Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We currently offer two solutions: you can either be reimbursed for the ammunition purchased (please provide a receipt) or we can exchange your ammunition for another caliber.

Please note that we will need to receive the Grendel ammunition you purchased. Please ship it back to us via UPS or FedEx as USPS will not handle ammunition and we will be happy to reimburse you for the shipping cost (either in ammunition or we’ll just send you a check).

The warehouse address is below:

1370 Honeyspot Rd. Extension

Building B

Stratford CT 06615

We will ship your replacement ammunition or send your check as soon as we receive your Grendel ammunition. Please let me know which option you would be interested in, so we can get this process going.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Marta Borkowska

TR&Z USA Trading Corp.

View Quote
I got the same reply after I sent an email to them.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#21]
PPU USA is recalling the 6.5G ammo from 2015 and newer.
Here is what your getting.
Straight from Serbia. 8/18/16

The bottom is what I sent them, the top is their response.
So you Grendel guys are not loosing PPU ammo, your getting small primer brass PPU ammo.

Dear Mr.,

Thank you for contacting our company.

We want to inform you that we produce 6.8 SPC ammo and brass, and we will continue in a future.

Also, we produce 6.5 Grendel ammo, and we have new Grendel brass with  4.5 mm Primer pocket in development phase.

Best regards,

PPU Team

Prvi Partizan A.D.

Hello,

Are you still going to bring out 6.8 SPC ammo and brass?

The rumor is you are going to stop producing 6.5 Grendel ammo. Is there any truth to that?

XXXXXXXX

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:13:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe someone can pull the bullet dump powder de-prime or not and squeeze the cases with some pliers....
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Black hills makes 6.5 G ammo? Is it discontinued, I don't see it on their website and a search came up blank?

The Black Hills 6.5 Grendel is only sold by Les Baer.  I still have two boxes which are loaded in Lapua cases with Sierra 123 grain Match Kings.  The last time I checked Les Baer's web site they still sold ammo but it was loaded using Hornady brass.  The boxes are marked Les Baer and not Black Hills.

I copied this from Les Baer's web site.

264 LBC-ARª
.264 LBC-AR™ Factory Loaded Ammo from Black Hills Ammunition
123 GR. Hornady A-Max
$1.35/round
.264 LBC-AR™ Hornady Brass, 100 pieces minimum order
$0.70
.264 LBC-AR™ Hornady Reloading Die Set, Full Length Dies
$58.00
.264 LBC-AR™ Super Varmint Model
$2,640.00
.264 LBC-AR™ Super Match Model
$2,840.00
.264 LBC-AR™ M4 Flattop Model
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Headspace issues due to many chamber sizes for 6.5G is the response I received from PPU USA.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Headspace issues due to many chamber sizes for 6.5G is the response I received from PPU USA.
View Quote

That is what they are saying, I shot a older lot and 0 issues except for softer brass making it impossible to reload more than twice due to primer pockets opening up. The new lot I bought is now popping primers and is junk after 1 firing. The other weekend a guy next to me was having problems with his alexander arms and I helped him diagnose it, I saw this..
Same issues, never had a problem with other lots but this new lot has some serious problems
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe PPU should stop trying to pin all this on the rifles (that had no issues with the old ammo) while some of their credibility is still intact.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I looked at all my 6.5 Grendel brass and everything looks ok.  I have a type II bolt (JP) and a type II barrel (Rainier) and it has been lights out accurate.  i will be keeping my ammo since i don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping back since i assume they will only issue partial payments???
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe PPU should stop trying to pin all this on the rifles (that had no issues with the old ammo) while some of their credibility is still intact.
View Quote

There is a universal truth that when a gun with XXX ammunition doesn't  run, be they factory or reload,  it is ALWAYS the fault of the barrel maker. If you don't believe it talk to the barrel makers in the US. LOL

It is never the squirrel that kitchen tabled the build with zero knowledge of the platform or the guy that doesn't own a reloading manual or a set of calipers.  I know of a couple AR10's that have been blown up in the past year or so. The barrel manufacturer is the one that is always blamed even if they were feeding it handloads.  I've never heard of one blown up and destroyed with FACTORY ammunition.

Greg
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is what they are saying, I shot a older lot and 0 issues except for softer brass making it impossible to reload more than twice due to primer pockets opening up. The new lot I bought is now popping primers and is junk after 1 firing. The other weekend a guy next to me was having problems with his alexander arms and I helped him diagnose it, I saw this..http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t488/libilaw/121C6946-477C-481B-A275-A930590CB8B1_zpszw62j8fe.jpg
Same issues, never had a problem with other lots but this new lot has some serious problems
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what they are saying, I shot a older lot and 0 issues except for softer brass making it impossible to reload more than twice due to primer pockets opening up. The new lot I bought is now popping primers and is junk after 1 firing. The other weekend a guy next to me was having problems with his alexander arms and I helped him diagnose it, I saw this..http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t488/libilaw/121C6946-477C-481B-A275-A930590CB8B1_zpszw62j8fe.jpg

almost looks like the "brass" is rubbing off near the extractor grove and on the mouth of the primer pocket.

probably just an optical illusion, or PPU is experimenting with lead cases...
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

almost looks like the "brass" is rubbing off near the extractor grove and on the mouth of the primer pocket.

probably just an optical illusion, or PPU is experimenting with lead cases...
View Quote

What you are seeing is extreme case head expansion (whether due to stupid high pressures or extremely soft brass). Most people are seeing nothing more than popped primers as case head expands to the point that it will no longer hold the primer. The above example was made worse due to the gun being suppressed and not timed right.

If the problem is from bad head spacing/ incorrect chamber dimensions then why are are they asking for all the brass back as well? Because they have either annealed the whole brass case instead of the neck, or their metallurgy is wrong resulting in very soft brass. Hopefully the get it fixed as I was getting 3/4 moa groups out of the 120g stuff
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot #? I'll have to check mine after work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#32]
My question is why is their 6.5 Grendel still up on their site?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#33]
My question is why is their 6.5 Grendel still up on their site and why no mention anywhere about the recall?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I shot a box of this recalled ammo today and had one blown primer, several failures to extract (from a friends gun, everything ran in mine) and several other dangerous signs on the brass.

I guess I'll have to find a receipt and send this crap back in, it really is bad stuff.

Rats.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I shot a box of this recalled ammo today and had one blown primer, several failures to extract (from a friends gun, everything ran in mine) and several other dangerous signs on the brass.

I guess I'll have to find a receipt and send this crap back in, it really is bad stuff.

Rats.
View Quote

Both rifles SAAMI spec chambers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I sent mine in today in exchange for their 5.56.
I'll just stick to hornady 6.5 for now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Rats.
View Quote

What date code/ when did you buy it/ which barrel?  I've not had any issues in my .264 LBC barrel from BHW, but I haven't tried any through a SAAMI Grendel barrel.  All the PRVI I have was purchased late last year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I am inclined to say this was identified a long time ago, their cases are out of spec.

From MSRHunt.com

Eisenach Arms Inc.  Posted Nov 22, 2015 #1
ATTENTION USERS OF WOLF GOLD and Prvi Partizan 6.5 Grendel

My concerns about this ammunition started a couple months ago, while shooting with some friends a box of wolf gold was produced and was fired out of 2 rifles, both of which produced spent cases exhibiting excessive pressure signs; very flat primers and backed out primers. At the time I did not think much of it, I brought the brass home to reload, upon inspection the cases showed excessive case stretch at the base of the brass. The brass was discarded. (not a fan of the Large primer anyway)

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I was contacted by a user of one of the Satern group buy barrels. The user had the barrel in service since last spring with great success until the user reported piercing primers and brass that showed excessive pressure signs. I instructed the user to send the barrel back to me for inspection. The barrel, bolt and fire pin were all within specification in regards to head space and firing pin protrusion. The user also supplied 3 fired cases, Wolf gold manufactured by PPU (prvi partizan).

Out of spec ammunition suspected, I acquired some factory new PPU 110g fmj and the 120g HPBT. using the hornady headspace tool and the .35'' bushing both boxes and a box of factory Hornady Amax were measured. The results are scary enough for me to discontinue the use of this PPU ammunition due to excessive head space.

SAAMI published cartridge specification is 1.220-.007''  or 1.213 min.

Factory Hornady measures 1.210''-1.213'' At least they can get something right sort of, the shortest of them were only .002'' under. This of no concern or is it? We are under the min on a few. could this also be some of the high pressure signs some of been reporting sometimes?

However all of the PPU ammunition measured between 1.205'' and 1.208''. out of specification.
a quick web search finds this post over at http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2848722&page=1   That shooter is lucky nothing worse happened, they blamed high temperatures, what they didn't do was measure this ammo!
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh look, the new 6.5mm x 39 Belted.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Black hills makes 6.5 G ammo? Is it discontinued, I don't see it on their website and a search came up blank?

The Black Hills 6.5 Grendel is only sold by Les Baer.  I still have two boxes which are loaded in Lapua cases with Sierra 123 grain Match Kings.  The last time I checked Les Baer's web site they still sold ammo but it was loaded using Hornady brass.  The boxes are marked Les Baer and not Black Hills.

I copied this from Les Baer's web site.

264 LBC-ARª
.264 LBC-AR™ Factory Loaded Ammo from Blackc Hills Ammunition
123 GR. Hornady A-, Max
$1.35/round
.264 LBC-AR™ Hornady Brass, 100 pieces minimum order
$0.70
.264 LBC-AR™ Hornady Reloading Die Set, Full Length Dies
$58.00
.264 LBC-AR™ Super Varmint Model
$2,640.00
.264 LBC-AR™ Super Match Model
$2,840.00
.264 LBC-AR™ M4 Flattop Model
View Quote

I use the 123amax load with hornady brass. Yes you buy directly from lbc. 18" .264 clocks at 2457 (29.94 80.6F 74.4%H) taken with an old Chrony. Going to try the magnetospeed to double check that, but its hotter and more consistent than Hornady and is a heck of alot more temperature stable. Its my go to factory load when i shoot 600 yards.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What date code/ when did you buy it/ which barrel?  I've not had any issues in my .264 LBC barrel from BHW, but I haven't tried any through a SAAMI Grendel barrel.  All the PRVI I have was purchased late last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rats.

Both barels are SAMMI, both are the Alexander 16" barrels with Alexander bolts.

You can see in this pic that I have a few 'belted' cases too.  I don't remember exactly which brass came from which rifle, but I know the blown primer was from my friends rifle.  He only shot about 4 rounds, I shot the rest in my rifle.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top